Southern_Canadian

AOS and Goverment Assistance

37 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Germany
Timeline

I believe he is :)

A shame they don't have this in Germany...

Done with USCIS until 12/28/2020!

penguinpasscanada.jpg

"What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans, and the homeless, whether the mad destruction is wrought under the name of totalitarianism or the holy name of liberty and democracy?" ~Gandhi

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

The problem i might see is what can happen regardind the second affidavit the US citiz. will have to fill up and the AOS.... will it change anything ?

Removal of conditions

01.11.2011 Remove conditions GC I-751 ($590)

01.18.2011 NOA1

02.24.2011 Biometric

03.25.2011 Approved

03.28.2011 Notice sent

03.31.2011 Received new green card (and it's green !)

AOS/EAD/AP from K1

07.23.2008 Send AOS/EAD/AP

07.29.2008 Check cashed

08.01.2008 NOA1

08.08.2008 Biometric Notice received

08.21.2008 Biometric Appointment

09.22.2008 Approval notice sent for AP (CRIS email)

09.22.2008 Card production ordered for EAD (CRIS email)

09.25.2008 Card production ordered for EAD (CRIS email) and a couple of touch since (last one 09.30.2008)

09.27.2008 Reception AP

10.02.2008 EAD Received

02.23.2009 Notice for interview (1.5 month late compared to LA statistics)

03.16.2009 AOS Touch

04.01.2009 Interview in LA  // Approved 

04.06.2009 Welcome to the USA Letter

04.13.2009 Reception GC

Naturalization
06/2016 Request
03/2017 Interview

Almost at the end !

I believe he is :)

A shame they don't have this in Germany...

My heart is broken... :crying:

Reality is...I didn't even realize what the EI thread was, never even looked at it and had NO idea we were able to file.

Im looking through that thread and I wish someone would just write the exact steps of what to do..it's so confusing!

Let's Keep the Song Going!!!

CANADA.GIFUS1.GIF

~Laura and Nicholas~

IMG_1315.jpg

Met online November 2005 playing City of Heroes

First met in Canada, Sept 22, 2006 <3

September 2006 to March 2008, 11 visits, 5 in Canada, 6 in NJ

Officially Engaged December 24th, 2007!!!

Moved to the U.S. to be with my baby on July 19th, 2008 on a K1 visa!!!!

***10 year green card in hand as of 2/2/2012, loving and living life***

Hmmm maybe we should move back to Canada! lol smile.png

Timeline

Alright, Ill call my old job tomorrow to get the ROE.

I'm still trying to figure out if anyone knows that if someone lives in subsidized housing is considered as government assistance? Anyyyy help or personal oppinions about this would be amazing!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I'm still trying to figure out if anyone knows that if someone lives in subsidized housing is considered as government assistance? Anyyyy help or personal oppinions about this would be amazing!

subsidized housing, ie SECTION 8 housing, is considered government assistant.

I'm going to have an honest, maybe harsh, word on your situation southern-canadian, and take it for what it is worth. This is just my opinion and you should do what you want to do, but going through this process without a dollar in your pocket is probably not a great idea. The fee of filing the forms for AOS are expensive and if your husband can't support you it may not be the right time to go just yet. Would you honesty feel comfortable picking up and leaving to another country, being jobless for awhile, and knowing that your husband won't really be able to afford to life any kind of lifestyle?

My husband worked, I had EI and money saved, and we were still living paycheque to paycheque throughout the process without any other big expenses like debt to pay down. From my experience, and from concern, I am just saying you may want to wait a little bit until your husband at least sorts out his living situation. If he goes on Section 8 housing, he will be seen as unfit to support you so I don't know how smoothly things will go for you both.

I wish you the best!

"...My hair's mostly wind,

My eyes filled with grit

My skin's white then brown

My lips chapped and split

I've lain on the prairie and heard grasses sigh

I've stared at the vast open bowl of the sky

I've seen all the castles and faces in clouds

My home is the prairie and for that I am proud…

If You're not from the Prairie, you can't know my soul

You don't know our blizzards; you've not fought our cold

You can't know my mind, nor ever my heart

Unless deep within you there's somehow a part…

A part of these things that I've said that I know,

The wind, sky and earth, the storms and the snow.

Best say that you have - and then we'll be one,

For we will have shared that same blazing sun." - David Bouchard

Timeline

subsidized housing, ie SECTION 8 housing, is considered government assistant.

I'm going to have an honest, maybe harsh, word on your situation southern-canadian, and take it for what it is worth. This is just my opinion and you should do what you want to do, but going through this process without a dollar in your pocket is probably not a great idea. The fee of filing the forms for AOS are expensive and if your husband can't support you it may not be the right time to go just yet. Would you honesty feel comfortable picking up and leaving to another country, being jobless for awhile, and knowing that your husband won't really be able to afford to life any kind of lifestyle?

My husband worked, I had EI and money saved, and we were still living paycheque to paycheque throughout the process without any other big expenses like debt to pay down. From my experience, and from concern, I am just saying you may want to wait a little bit until your husband at least sorts out his living situation. If he goes on Section 8 housing, he will be seen as unfit to support you so I don't know how smoothly things will go for you both.

I wish you the best!

Thanks for your opinnion but we do have money set aside for the move, wedding, AOS and living. The problem is that we find it crazy if we have to pay over $400 for just a room in a house when we don't even use the fridge becuase other people eat our food. Subsidized housing wasn't our only option but it was an option to consider if it wasn't considered government assistance. It would have been a way to be able to pay the bills, rent and set some money aside. That's why I asked the nice people of VJ for their opinion on it to see what they thought. Eric seems to think that it wouldn't be considered government assistance but I think that it is. Again, was just asking to confirm if it was or not.

We can survive, we will just find our own place to live together rather than with his friends.. which I am glad that we will be able to start our lives on our own and not have other people around 24/7.

Edited by Southern_Canadian

Timeline

Section 8 is run by the federal government.

I understand that was the sole question you asked, but you also gave a whole wack of background on your situation and for those of us who have gone through it, I was just expressing what may be in your best interest. Obviously only you can know what is best for you as I don't know you. I'm not judging you; I was just saying that going to live in another country when your significant other is even considering being on Section 8 may not be very good for your well being. Not to mention, if he was on Section 8 he would 99.9% be considered unfit to support you. I would not want any one to pick up and leave their home without the other side being stable.

I'm sorry if that rubs you the wrong way, that is not what I meant to do. I was just trying to show concern.

Edited by thetreble

My eyes filled with grit

Filed: Timeline

Could you guys possibly line up a co-sponsor? That would be a good idea, me thinkssss.

I am sure you will get through this rough patch of financial distress - I know it- hang in there!!!!

***edited not to chew other people's head off***

Edited by Len_and_Bren

Timeline
***edited not to chew other people's head off***

Please do. I'm sure this comment is pointed at me. I really don't think I said anything wrong so please feel free to chew my head off.

My eyes filled with grit

Timeline

Nonono.. no head chewing please :D

The reason why I explained in more detail of the situation is because I knew that someone would ask more questions to try to figure out the situation before they could give any advice.

Eric and I will be financially stable but the first month is just going to be a little tough which is understandable. We have the move, the wedding, AOS and obviously getting use to living together. I know everyone can relate to that! Eric only suggested it as a way to be able to live on our own and be able to save money. I tried explaing to him how it works but he didn't understand it at first.

thetreble: I understand that you were giving your opinion.. which is what I asked for but I thought that VJ was for support. I just felt that your post was more of an attack. Now I can see why other people don't like asking questions on here for fear that others will take their questions in another way.

Anyways, thanks for the adice to everyone.. supportive or harsh, they have given me the answer that I was looking for and other options to consider.

Edited by Southern_Canadian

Timeline

Here is how I see it..Would you rather have me said, "oh honey, everything is going to be fine, don't worry about it..etc." when I wasn't really thinking that? See I think that is just being dishonest. My feelings are that you first and foremost told us your situation which drew an eyebrow up for me. I just want you to be safe and have the easiest time possible adjusting. Maybe you made it sound worse than it really is and that is why you took my comments like a judgment?

I'm not going to retract what I said because I felt I said it in a nice way, or in a way that the internet doesn't allow to hear tone or intonation.

I wish you the best and hope it goes well.

My eyes filled with grit

Timeline

Subsidized housing is government assistance.

Most of the time it is for families...parents with children, that is the main priority of the program. There is also a huge waiting line for Section 8. It can take 6 months to a year. It's not something you can just get.

Section 8 for single occupancy is to assist with mentally challenged, disabled or homeless people. Your husband may have a hard time proving he is truly in need.

Donne moi une poptart!

Timeline

Yes, that is what I explained to Eric.. he now understands what I was trying to tell him. We are looking for a place for the two of us.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

It is possible to live with maybe his parents or siblings or relative? That may not be an option at all, but just wanted to check.

We plan to live with his parents for a few months just to help with the move, support, so we can find a place together. I was kind of against it at first, but now that we've discussed it and I've thought more about it, it just makes more sense to save money on rent and wait a bit.

Or maybe try to find a place with just one roomate, and not in a house with others. That might save on costs.

Removing Conditions

Sent package to VSC - 8/12/11

NOA1 - 8/16/11

Biometrics - 9/14/11

Timeline

thetreble: Thank you for your help.. and no, I didn't want a lie. I am just really stressed and upset that my family is making my last week in Canada, a veryyy bad one! I appreciate your help with my question.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.