Southern_Canadian

AOS and Goverment Assistance

37 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hey everyone,

I was talking to Eric tonight and we are both worried about the money situation for when I move to the States. Eric pays about $400 a month in child support which has recently began being deducted from his pay cheques. And the place that he is currently living at, just mentioned that once I move there, they are going to raise rent. He lives in a four bedroom house with four other people living there. The amount that he pays is pretty expensive for just a room. So, we are starting to look at other options and since I won't be able to work for a while, we really don't know what to do. Eric mentioned tonight of a place that offers subsidized housing for those who don't make enough money. Since his pay cheque are low and his soon to be wife won't be working, he is sure that we could get a place for a few months to just be able to save some money and move to another place without subsidizing. My worry though.. is that considered government assistance?? And will that affect things when it comes time to aos??

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally I don't believe it's government assistance if you're husband will benefit from the help as well. That's only my opinion mind you. The legal technicalities maybe someone else can attest to. If you've been working the last year in Canada, you know you're eligible for EI? That might come in handy if you're looking for some extra money.

carlahmsb4.gif

Timeline
Personally I don't believe it's government assistance if you're husband will benefit from the help as well. That's only my opinion mind you. The legal technicalities maybe someone else can attest to. If you've been working the last year in Canada, you know you're eligible for EI? That might come in handy if you're looking for some extra money.

I quit my job about 3 weeks ago.. I just couldn't handle their very bad management and going into work and never starting (I was a server.) So, no EI for me!

I quit my job about 3 weeks ago.. I just couldn't handle their very bad management and going into work and never starting (I was a server.) So, no EI for me!

Hmmm, I'd apply right away, even if you don't have your ROE yet. They'll say you quit, you say you quit, you're moving anyway...you're eligible as a K-1 recipient to apply for EI for the purpose of moving to the US to marry. Don't think about it, do it!

carlahmsb4.gif

We all quit our jobs to move to the USA. None of us are fired. You should file for EI as soon as you cross the border. You quit because you're moving right? ;)

No...no...no! Do not wait until you move to the US to apply. You have a window to apply for EI for the purpose of moving re: your visa within a month of quitting your job. If you leave it longer you still might get it, but you could also be still denied. You only get EI, less the 2 week waiting period, up to the expiry of your I-94. Then it's suspended until you get your EAD. So apply immediately! They could deny you if you wait to long.

carlahmsb4.gif

Timeline

Alright then, I'll apply for it and see if I get approved. I'm on the Service Canada wesbite for EI.. which form do I apply for?? Also, I don't have a record of employment from my work. And I doubt my old job will send me one. (They are not very organized.. I don't think that they would know what to do) lol!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

They HAVE TO send you a ROE. I believe they have to mail you out a copy within a certain time frame. And I bet if ya search the EI webpage, you can find that info

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline

Yes, I found a number to call to request it.

I'm filing out the form now and it asks for my address.. do I put my Georgia address and phone number or my Canada address and phone number? I'll be in Canada for one more week.

I can apply for unemployement? WHAT!?! LOL

I need to do this soon!! My last day is Friday...then I leave a week later, will I have enough time?

Let's Keep the Song Going!!!

CANADA.GIFUS1.GIF

~Laura and Nicholas~

IMG_1315.jpg

Met online November 2005 playing City of Heroes

First met in Canada, Sept 22, 2006 <3

September 2006 to March 2008, 11 visits, 5 in Canada, 6 in NJ

Officially Engaged December 24th, 2007!!!

Moved to the U.S. to be with my baby on July 19th, 2008 on a K1 visa!!!!

***10 year green card in hand as of 2/2/2012, loving and living life***

Hmmm maybe we should move back to Canada! lol smile.png

Timeline

U can apply for Ei while stil in Canada, or when ya get to the USA, just dont wait too long

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

U can apply for Ei while stil in Canada, or when ya get to the USA, just dont wait too long

Well I'm still employed Flames...my last day at work is this Friday.

Should I apply on Monday? I move on the 19th...

Can I do it online? Man, I had no idea :lol:

CANADA.GIFUS1.GIF

~Laura and Nicholas~

IMG_1315.jpg

Holy #######, I can apply online and it states to wait until I'm not employed (Which technically is Friday)

HOT!

LOL kick butt! :dance:

CANADA.GIFUS1.GIF

~Laura and Nicholas~

IMG_1315.jpg

Timeline

Its not like there is a EI topic on the very TOP of the Canada section,lol

Its not like there is a EI topic on the very TOP of the Canada section,lol

Are you making fun of me? :(:cry:

CANADA.GIFUS1.GIF

~Laura and Nicholas~

IMG_1315.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.