Capsule

I fell in love and got married to someone related to me.

117 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Timeline

You say you researched Armenian law. Did you do such research on your own or did you have someone help you?

Deciphering law by research is a daunting task for a layperson, much less trying to decipher law from foreign lands.

I'm trying to understand if you are considered married at all. And I'm not certain who can ascertain that for you. What have any attorneys you consulted in the US said about the validity of your Armenian union?

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Marriage between cousins is so common in many asian countries that it is not even thought of a second time. Many asian/southeast indian, pakistani, etc people get married to cousins and immigrate here with no problem. So you can see how your process goes, and if you are thinking there will be major problems, you may decide to re-marry at a 3rd party country if not allowed in Armenia and check out the states that allow this or if you are not asked, then you should not worry about it.

AP: Over 1 year.

Visa: Nov 2

US Entry: Nov 13, Alhamdulillah.

BelieveButterflyfortile.jpgPrayerisPower_Cover.jpghello.gif

I was thinking the same thing. You said that you should not have been able to get married, but no one noticed and you did get married. So I would think that you are married and have a marriage certificate. So you could file for a K3 visa. I doubt anyone would ask during the process if you are related. I really do not think this would be an issue.

Other options, there are many states that allow first cousins to marry. Alabama, California, Colorado, New Mexico, Alaska, Florida, D.C., Georgia, Hawaii. So if the marriage was not valid, you could move to one of thise states, apply for a K1 and get married. You do not need to go to a different country.

But, Dude, don't do anything stupid!! There are always ways around anything and always solutions.

I do not even know if you need a lawyer. You do have options here:

1. if for all purposes, everything appears legal and you have a Certified Marriage Certificate, just apply for a K3.

2. Otherwise, get the marriage annuled, move to a state where it is legal, and apply for the K1.

When you really think this through, this is not a difficult situation.

Good luck!!!

4-29-08 - Mailed I-130 & I-129F together to CSC

CSC

I-130 I-129F

5-01-08 - NOA1 5-02-08 - NOA1

5-04-08 - Touched 5-06-08 - Touched

5-05-08 - Rcvd NOA1 in mail 5-08-08 - Rcvd NOA1 in mail

5-14-08 - Touched 5-14-08 - Touched

5-20-08 - Touched

5-29-08 - NOA2................................5-29-08 - NOA2

5-30-08 - Touched............................5-30-08 - Touched

6-02-08 - Rcvd NOA2 hardcopy..........6-02-08 - Rcvd NOA2 hardcopy

NVC

6-05-08 - NVC rcvd, new # & IIN.......6-04-08 - NVC rcvd, new #

6-15-08 - NVC invoiced AOS..............6-09-08 - Shipped DHL to Bs. As.

6-15-08 - Paid AOS online..................6-11-08 - Dlvd to Embassy

6-15-08 - Sent DS-3032 email...........6-17-08 - Received e-mail Packet 3

6-17-08 - AOS shows PAID!!!............6-25-08 - Turnned in Packet 3

6-17-08 - Sent AOS pkg Fed Ex.........7-11-08 - Medical

6-23-08 - DS-3032 accepted..............8-14-08 - Interview!!!

6-26-08 - NVC says my I-864EZ is not original Signature (BS!!!)

6-28-08 - IV bill invoiced online.

7-01-08 - Paid IV Bill online

7-01-08 - Re-sent I-864EZ

7-02-08 - IV Bill show "Paid"

7-02-08 - NVC Received I-864EZ, again!!

7-03-08 - Sent DS-230 via FedEx.

7-03-08 - NVC recieves and enters new I-864EZ

7-07-08 - NVC receives and enters DS-230

7-16-08 - CASE COMPLETE!!!!

8-14-08 - Interview. APPROVED!!!!!!!!!!!

8-19-08 - POE, Washington DC.

This is what I found for you in a search: This is regarding Islam and many other cultures allowing marriage between 1st and 2nd cousins. They do not inquire this during interview, but the main concern here is if you are legally married yet or if you are and do get together, you must be cautious when thinking of having chidren.

"Such marriages are allowed in many other religions and cultures as well. In United States, most of the states allow marriages between the first cousins.

However, it is a good practice to have a blood test before marriage. If one suspects some hereditary disease or any other problem then he/she should seek the advice of a medical expert in this field. The chances of health risk in this marriage are very rare. Most of the marriages have been good and children quite healthy."

Again, it is not encouraged, but allowed in many religions, regions, and cultures. But first you must make sure you are legally recognized as married in your home country or any country before you file a K3. Edited by tammy2688

I was thinking the same thing. You said that you should not have been able to get married, but no one noticed and you did get married. So I would think that you are married and have a marriage certificate. So you could file for a K3 visa. I doubt anyone would ask during the process if you are related. I really do not think this would be an issue.

Other options, there are many states that allow first cousins to marry. Alabama, California, Colorado, New Mexico, Alaska, Florida, D.C., Georgia, Hawaii. So if the marriage was not valid, you could move to one of thise states, apply for a K1 and get married. You do not need to go to a different country.

But, Dude, don't do anything stupid!! There are always ways around anything and always solutions.

I do not even know if you need a lawyer. You do have options here:

1. if for all purposes, everything appears legal and you have a Certified Marriage Certificate, just apply for a K3.

2. Otherwise, get the marriage annuled, move to a state where it is legal, and apply for the K1.

When you really think this through, this is not a difficult situation.

Good luck!!!

This is a very good post. It is really not a difficult situation as long as you are legally married or want to file for a K1.

Edited by tammy2688

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

HOnestly I could care less if she is your cousin or someone you met yesterday as a complete stranger with no relation. The problem you have here is immergration. My question is.. is it more important to be together in the end or be in the U.S.???

for me we are working on getting my husband here in the U.S. cause of my children from another marriage.. but if it comes to it I'll go to him in the end if necessary. We believe we should be together anywhere they will allow us to be.

I recomend figure out that first than start making a plan. Good luck to you both.

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

No one can control our hearts desires and all is worth in life is to go after reaching the satisfaction of our heart deepest love... Go for it... It will be hard, but hey marriage is always a journey never a destination ... Yours will be agreat adventure which I pray to God it will be well worth it one day... Here is my best thought for you... Bring her to the U.S. on a fiancee visa... ( no one will ever ask if you are related by blood or not just dont volunteer any information that is not asked for and most importantly never lie)... The petition you will need to file for her is an I-129 for a K1 visa, upon her arrival in the US get married by any notary public close by to you... and file for the remaining of the petitions you will need in order to grant her residency... (I-130, I-485 etc....)... You are not in the worse situation here and with much patience and care you can get all resoved.... Save your money from attorney s fees (since you dont have much left) and you will need to pay for USCIS applications fees, visa fees, costs to get all docs they requiure, medical exam , her ticket to the uS etc...

I am not a big fan of family relationships, but have on my family and they are perfectly healthy... I am all for following your hearts desire and fighting to the end for your love... Best of luck to you... write me at anytime shall you need help filling the immigration forms...

No one can control our hearts desires and all is worth in life is to go after reaching the satisfaction of our heart deepest love... Go for it... It will be hard, but hey marriage is always a journey never a destination ... Yours will be agreat adventure which I pray to God it will be well worth it one day... Here is my best thought for you... Bring her to the U.S. on a fiancee visa... ( no one will ever ask if you are related by blood or not just dont volunteer any information that is not asked for and most importantly never lie)... The petition you will need to file for her is an I-129 for a K1 visa, upon her arrival in the US get married by any notary public close by to you... and file for the remaining of the petitions you will need in order to grant her residency... (I-130, I-485 etc....)... You are not in the worse situation here and with much patience and care you can get all resoved.... Save your money from attorney s fees (since you dont have much left) and you will need to pay for USCIS applications fees, visa fees, costs to get all docs they requiure, medical exam , her ticket to the uS etc...

I am not a big fan of family relationships, but have on my family and they are perfectly healthy... I am all for following your hearts desire and fighting to the end for your love... Best of luck to you... write me at anytime shall you need help filling the immigration forms...

Diana, he said that they already got married in Armenia.

So the fiance visa (K-1) is not an option.

They would have to file for K-3 or immigrant visa.

Website US Department of State, Consular Affairs Bureau: http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/info/info_1339.html

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nepal
Timeline

Either they are legally married for the purposes of immigration (and need to file for K3), or they aren't (and need to file for K1).

OP... are you still around, and do you have an Armenian marriage certificate?

If not, do you live in one of the states listed as allowing first cousin marriage, in the links previously posted about legal cousin marriages in the US?

Have you consulted any pro bono immigration organizations, like Catholic Charities?

I don't think your situation is hopeless at all. And I don't think you need to involve a third country in this. But your wife needs a safe place from which to conduct her part of this effort (the Armenian equivalent of a Kinko's and a post office box).

This place is a good resource full of good people who want to help. I hope you'll keep coming back.

Maya

Many thanks to the Visajourney community for all the help!

And in fact, forget about the cousin thing. This is exactly what everyone here has to go through.

DO YOU HAVE A MARRIAGE CERTIFICATE THAT SHOWS YOU ARE LEGALY MARRIED?

YES - File for K3 visa!!!!!

NO - File for K1 visa!!!!!

If the answer is NO, then after you receive the K1 visa, many of the states that allow first cousin marriages do not have requirements that you live there. So go on vacation and get married.

Very simple and straight forward!!! No need for lawyer or stress!!!

And don't over think this

4-29-08 - Mailed I-130 & I-129F together to CSC

CSC

I-130 I-129F

5-01-08 - NOA1 5-02-08 - NOA1

5-04-08 - Touched 5-06-08 - Touched

5-05-08 - Rcvd NOA1 in mail 5-08-08 - Rcvd NOA1 in mail

5-14-08 - Touched 5-14-08 - Touched

5-20-08 - Touched

5-29-08 - NOA2................................5-29-08 - NOA2

5-30-08 - Touched............................5-30-08 - Touched

6-02-08 - Rcvd NOA2 hardcopy..........6-02-08 - Rcvd NOA2 hardcopy

NVC

6-05-08 - NVC rcvd, new # & IIN.......6-04-08 - NVC rcvd, new #

6-15-08 - NVC invoiced AOS..............6-09-08 - Shipped DHL to Bs. As.

6-15-08 - Paid AOS online..................6-11-08 - Dlvd to Embassy

6-15-08 - Sent DS-3032 email...........6-17-08 - Received e-mail Packet 3

6-17-08 - AOS shows PAID!!!............6-25-08 - Turnned in Packet 3

6-17-08 - Sent AOS pkg Fed Ex.........7-11-08 - Medical

6-23-08 - DS-3032 accepted..............8-14-08 - Interview!!!

6-26-08 - NVC says my I-864EZ is not original Signature (BS!!!)

6-28-08 - IV bill invoiced online.

7-01-08 - Paid IV Bill online

7-01-08 - Re-sent I-864EZ

7-02-08 - IV Bill show "Paid"

7-02-08 - NVC Received I-864EZ, again!!

7-03-08 - Sent DS-230 via FedEx.

7-03-08 - NVC recieves and enters new I-864EZ

7-07-08 - NVC receives and enters DS-230

7-16-08 - CASE COMPLETE!!!!

8-14-08 - Interview. APPROVED!!!!!!!!!!!

8-19-08 - POE, Washington DC.

Filed: Timeline

I am so sorry about your situation. I have talk to a couple of people that have had the same problem. I still dont know the answer to it. I just wanted to add that I think if your going through armenia you have to deal with the embassy in TBILISI, GEORGIA. It might be for just k-1 visa's I am not sure. I wonder if you have to follow the marriage laws in GEORGIA not armenia. Just a thought.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
If the marriage is not considered legal in the country in which it took place, then a marriage based visa to the US would not be possible. If they petitioned and applied now, it would open up all kinds of worms. Their marriage would likely be nulified, once it is discovered to be illegal, would it not?

You're right Reba. If this couple was married in Armenia where marriage of first cousins is illegal, then this marriage would be a nullity (aka, invalid marriage).

His option would be to marry again in the US, where marriage between first cousins is considered valid.

I wouldn't worry about what other people think! The both of you are adults and no one but you two can decide who you want to be with... I cannot help you with the other issues, but I just want to say " Good Luck to you both and I hope you find a way to get around these obstacles that are in front you right now". Hang in there! I am sure you will find your way!! :thumbs:

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Syria
Timeline

there are states here in the united states which allow first cousin marrieges. also these marrieges are common in the middle east also. i know of a vj member who is married to her cousin also and had no problems with immigration. so it can happen.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.