jbmail

Info please on K-1 medical Exam and interviews

7 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

I was wondering if i could get some insight as to HOW the procedure works for the lady in Ukraine, when she has to go to medical apt and final K-1 interview.

I guess my biggest concern is that she lives in Kherson and where would she have to travel for these and is this something that she does alone, should I TRY to go with her, are these in Kiev or closer to Kiev?

I read many of the K-1 Tips, but didn't seem to spell this out , except textbook medical condition problems, etc, or maybe I am in the wrong forum? Any help would be appreciated

I also heard something that you are supposed to call your local doctor and get vaccination receipts and something else before you go to the APPOINTED medical doctor?

Thanks

JB

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Hello JB:

Thank you for adding me to your friends list. When your I-129F is approved and sent to Kiev by the National Visa Center, you will get a letter giving you the case number, beginning with "KEV". Once you have this, you can make your medical exam appointment. Alla has hers this Monday. It was very easy to make the appointment. If your fiancee has difficulty traveling to Kiev, you can make the appointment for the day before her interview. She will receive the results at 3pm the day of the medical exam and they will be ready for the interview the next day. There is only one clinic that does this and it is in Kiev.

She can go to her local hospital, wherever her immunizations were given, and get copies of her immunization records. She does NOT need immunization records for the Fiancee visa but she WILL need them for her AOS when she arrives in the USA and you get married, so go ahead and get them. Any other medical records she can get will be helpful when she establishes a doctor here, but don't bet on being able to get them. She should go NOW to get her police certificate. This took some time to get and was a royal pain. It is valid for one year, so there is no need to wait until the last minute. I am not sure if you are familiar with how things operate in Ukraine, I lived there for 2 years so I know well. You wait in line to find out which line to wait in, wait in another line to find out what you need for the police certificate, then go to a local bank to pay the fee (wait in another line) then return with your receipt to wait in line to present your documents and receipt, then wait 3 weeks for the police certificate to come to the office, then go back and wait in another line to pick it up. It took, literally, ALL day! I have been going back to Ukraine frequently and gathering all these documents with Alla. If your fiancee has lived anywhere else in Ukraine, even for only 6 months, she will have to get police certificates from each city or Oblast.

YOU do not need to go to the visa interview, only her, but you CAN go and I am going to ours August 4. After she gathers all the documents she needs (and she can be doing this now, you can get the instructions off the embassy website) she, or you, can call for an appointment for the interview. We could have gotten the interview in about 2 weeks but Alla was not able to go at that time. The next available appointment was August 4.

When you receive the notice that the visa has been sent to the embassy, allow three weeks and then email them to see if they got it. DO NOT depend on the totally unreliable Ukrainian mail system. Alla NEVER got any notices or anything in the mail, though they said they sent them. Email the embassy, they will respond the same day or next day. If you have all the documents, call the "call center" and make your appointment for the interview. Then call and make your medical exam appointment for the day before. You will be all set. We haven't had the interview yet, but I am told it is not so much an interview as a review of documents. Most people I have spoken to say they were asked few, if any, questions. If the documents are in order, you will get the visa. They normally send it special delivery to her in 3 days but many have reported that if you make a bit of fuss they will issue it to you while you are there. Tell them you cannot be home to receive it or something. They may give it to you then or tell you to come back the next day and pick it up.

I have found it was easier and cheaper to get all the documents translated to English here. I brought copies with me, had them translated and certified and will bring them with me to the interview. I will arrive a day early so Alla and I can consolidate all the documents in one package. I found a Russian professor at the University of Vermont that will do this for very reasonable cost. He is certified to do this. I have his information if you are interested, he usually does the documents in 24-48 hours. He will do the documents by email, send you a draft by email to review and send the completed document and certified translation by UPS overnight (he will not send them by mail) I usually go to pick them up, but it is close for me. His rate for a single document is $45 but if you send him several at once he will give you a discount. He did 5 documents for me for $100. Also, if your fiancee can "pre-translate" the document (even if it isn't perfect) he will correct it to the proper English wording and certify it for $15 per document. I have spent, total, maybe $150 in translation fees. Other translation services I checked wanted $400-1500 for the same documents! It is WILD!!! Be sure to check around. It was mostly hopeless finding someone in Ukraine to do it, but if you can I suspect it would be cheaper yet. But be sure of reliability. It is no good if it is cheap but they lose your documents or disappear and you never hear from them again.

Gary

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Timeline

Thanks Gary, Good luck on the 7th and I will speak with you soon

JB

Hello JB:

Thank you for adding me to your friends list. When your I-129F is approved and sent to Kiev by the National Visa Center, you will get a letter giving you the case number, beginning with "KEV". Once you have this, you can make your medical exam appointment. Alla has hers this Monday. It was very easy to make the appointment. If your fiancee has difficulty traveling to Kiev, you can make the appointment for the day before her interview. She will receive the results at 3pm the day of the medical exam and they will be ready for the interview the next day. There is only one clinic that does this and it is in Kiev.

She can go to her local hospital, wherever her immunizations were given, and get copies of her immunization records. She does NOT need immunization records for the Fiancee visa but she WILL need them for her AOS when she arrives in the USA and you get married, so go ahead and get them. Any other medical records she can get will be helpful when she establishes a doctor here, but don't bet on being able to get them. She should go NOW to get her police certificate. This took some time to get and was a royal pain. It is valid for one year, so there is no need to wait until the last minute. I am not sure if you are familiar with how things operate in Ukraine, I lived there for 2 years so I know well. You wait in line to find out which line to wait in, wait in another line to find out what you need for the police certificate, then go to a local bank to pay the fee (wait in another line) then return with your receipt to wait in line to present your documents and receipt, then wait 3 weeks for the police certificate to come to the office, then go back and wait in another line to pick it up. It took, literally, ALL day! I have been going back to Ukraine frequently and gathering all these documents with Alla. If your fiancee has lived anywhere else in Ukraine, even for only 6 months, she will have to get police certificates from each city or Oblast.

YOU do not need to go to the visa interview, only her, but you CAN go and I am going to ours August 4. After she gathers all the documents she needs (and she can be doing this now, you can get the instructions off the embassy website) she, or you, can call for an appointment for the interview. We could have gotten the interview in about 2 weeks but Alla was not able to go at that time. The next available appointment was August 4.

When you receive the notice that the visa has been sent to the embassy, allow three weeks and then email them to see if they got it. DO NOT depend on the totally unreliable Ukrainian mail system. Alla NEVER got any notices or anything in the mail, though they said they sent them. Email the embassy, they will respond the same day or next day. If you have all the documents, call the "call center" and make your appointment for the interview. Then call and make your medical exam appointment for the day before. You will be all set. We haven't had the interview yet, but I am told it is not so much an interview as a review of documents. Most people I have spoken to say they were asked few, if any, questions. If the documents are in order, you will get the visa. They normally send it special delivery to her in 3 days but many have reported that if you make a bit of fuss they will issue it to you while you are there. Tell them you cannot be home to receive it or something. They may give it to you then or tell you to come back the next day and pick it up.

I have found it was easier and cheaper to get all the documents translated to English here. I brought copies with me, had them translated and certified and will bring them with me to the interview. I will arrive a day early so Alla and I can consolidate all the documents in one package. I found a Russian professor at the University of Vermont that will do this for very reasonable cost. He is certified to do this. I have his information if you are interested, he usually does the documents in 24-48 hours. He will do the documents by email, send you a draft by email to review and send the completed document and certified translation by UPS overnight (he will not send them by mail) I usually go to pick them up, but it is close for me. His rate for a single document is $45 but if you send him several at once he will give you a discount. He did 5 documents for me for $100. Also, if your fiancee can "pre-translate" the document (even if it isn't perfect) he will correct it to the proper English wording and certify it for $15 per document. I have spent, total, maybe $150 in translation fees. Other translation services I checked wanted $400-1500 for the same documents! It is WILD!!! Be sure to check around. It was mostly hopeless finding someone in Ukraine to do it, but if you can I suspect it would be cheaper yet. But be sure of reliability. It is no good if it is cheap but they lose your documents or disappear and you never hear from them again.

Gary

• 3 months later...
Timeline
Hello JB:

Gary

Timeline
Hello JB:

Gary

Gary, can you tell me how to contact this russian professor so that I can have him translate some documents for me. Thanks.

PS, I will take info. from anybody on who exactly and how I can contact them to translate documents. Thanks. The documents are in russian and ukrainun.

• 5 weeks later...
Hello JB:

Gary

Thanks Gary! I picked up a couple of pointers for our process here. Nice post! :thumbs:

3dflags_ukr0001-0001a.gif3dflags_usa0001-0001a.gif

Travelers - not tourists

Friday.gif

You can try to do a forum search on key words like medical, physical and interview. I am sure you will find lots of posts concerning the process.

usa_fl_sm_nwm.gifphilippines_fl_md_clr.gif

United States & Republic of the Philippines

"Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid." John Wayne

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.