What should my wife wear to the interview

39 posts in this topic

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
My wife just asked me what clothes she should wear at her interview. I decided it would be best to ask here. Any idea about this?

I would say smart casual, that what i did.

Sal and Jay

K1 - Complete
AOS - Complete
EAD - Complete
AP - Complete
ROC - Complete

N400-Complete

I am a United States citizen!

The interview isn't quite as formal as the Oath Ceremony - where you are expected to wear "proper attire" (no jeans, shorts flip-flops, baseball caps lol!) I still dressed smart casual for the interview, but I don't think it's something to worry about. At this time of year in most parts of the USA it's so hot that tidy, clean, cool and comfortable come before too formal outfits.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline
The interview isn't quite as formal as the Oath Ceremony - where you are expected to wear "proper attire" (no jeans, shorts flip-flops, baseball caps lol!) I still dressed smart casual for the interview, but I don't think it's something to worry about. At this time of year in most parts of the USA it's so hot that tidy, clean, cool and comfortable come before too formal outfits.

Ha, you can always take off that baseball cap, but not so sure about the jeans and the shorts. Flip-flops is an appropriate word but maybe flop-flop-flop would suffice, but I prefer calling those toe splitters. Ouch with every step, what did your feet do to you to deserve such punishment? Wife amazes me how she finds something different to wear to work everyday, when us guys were wearing ties to work, maybe would just change that, well maybe. It was easy in the military, we all dressed alike, maybe the whole bunch of us were twins.

In regards to the interview, the guards were all dressed alike, are they twins too? But the officers were quite relaxed in their appearance except for the receptionist, she was dressed very well. Good question whether you should out dress the person that interviews you.

I would suggest if what you wear makes you feel awkward, look for something else. Seen some applicants dressed up either for a funeral or a wedding, but looked out of place in the waiting room. Must be from the old country, the real old country.

I would think something casual, but modest and conservative (whatever that is for that country). Not an expert on fashion, but it seems reasonable that you want the interviewer's mind on your documents and sincerity, and totally focused positively on the case.

3dflags_ukr0001-0001a.gif3dflags_usa0001-0001a.gif

Travelers - not tourists

Friday.gif

My wife just asked me what clothes she should wear at her interview. I decided it would be best to ask here. Any idea about this?

Ask her to wear business attire or something conservative like knee-length skirt matched with a decent blouse...

"...when I found the one my heart loves, I held him and would not let him go..." - Song of Solomon 3:4

View my wedding photo slideshow

Visit my blog "Filipina In America"

Check out some articles I wrote

Timeline

Ask her to wear business attire or something conservative like knee-length skirt

LOL, wife came from a country where the shirt length was 5 inches above the knee, but got a job at a religious based hospital with a strict dress code, no more than 3 inches above the knee. She had many very nice and modest above the knees business suits. Some with a greater than 2" hem we were able to save, others with a much thinner hem had to be parked in a spare closet, too expensive and still stylist to pitch. She didn't go for my suggestion of stapling an old inner tube to the bottom of her shirts to reach that minimum.

So is wearing a shirt 3" above the knee okay?

LOL, not to comment when I met some of these women that came up with this dress code, they had to wear tents, only thing that could find that would fit. Could it be they were jealous of women with nice looking knees? Ah, good old Victorian America, not even the British are that Victorian.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
Ask her to wear business attire or something conservative like knee-length skirt

LOL, wife came from a country where the shirt length was 5 inches above the knee, but got a job at a religious based hospital with a strict dress code, no more than 3 inches above the knee. She had many very nice and modest above the knees business suits. Some with a greater than 2" hem we were able to save, others with a much thinner hem had to be parked in a spare closet, too expensive and still stylist to pitch. She didn't go for my suggestion of stapling an old inner tube to the bottom of her shirts to reach that minimum.

So is wearing a shirt 3" above the knee okay?

LOL, not to comment when I met some of these women that came up with this dress code, they had to wear tents, only thing that could find that would fit. Could it be they were jealous of women with nice looking knees? Ah, good old Victorian America, not even the British are that Victorian.

WELL MY INTERVIEW DATE LAST JULY 3 AND I WORE A SILK BLOUSE AND SLACK BLACK PANTS...

Timeline

WELL MY INTERVIEW DATE LAST JULY 3 AND I WORE A SILK BLOUSE AND SLACK BLACK PANTS...

Did you pass your interview? Did you wear shoes and if so, what kind? Did wearing a silk blouse and black slacks bring you luck? What color was your silk blouse?

Heck if it helps you to pass your interview, will tell my wife to wear the same. Ten days to her interview, time is going by fast, but always does during the short summer months.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.