BH45

POE - Sault Ste Marie

8 posts in this topic

We arrived at the border around 8 pm on Sunday. When speaking to the first guard, I told her I was there to activate my K-1 Visa. She asked if I had any pets to which I replied yes and that I had his passport too. She then asked about household plants which I did not bring and then directed me to go inside.

The next guard I spoke with asked me if I had time cause this was not just a 5 minute process. I replied I had lots of time. He had an elderly guard assist him with the process. The elderly guard had a checklist that clearly indicated that the I-94 was to be stamped "Employment Unauthorized". I questioned this but he just kept replying that it was on his checklist. :angry: . I'm wondering how old that checklist is. It seems like everyone else has been granted that 90 work ok. Obviously I picked the wrong POE.

All in all it only took about 20 - 30 minutes. A second guard came along and he was very nice. He told me that I could still travel back and forth to Canada until we got married. That is the date that starts the 90-day waiting period. So as of right now, it's looking like it will be the new year before I'll be able to go back to see my daughter. So I have to pray she will want to come here to see us.

We have been to the courthouse to set the date for our "official" wedding which will be August 2. So in the meantime, I have to rely on my fiance to get us through these next 6 months. It will be tight especially if I can't collect EI. We will survive.

April 13, 2009 - Welcome to the USA letter rec'd. PRC to be rec'd within 3 weeks.

April 16, 2009 - 2 yr GC rec'd in mail.

March 2, 2011 - Mailed in I-751 to CSC

March 4, 2011 - I-751 delivered to CSC

March 4, 2011 - NOA issued

March 12, 2011 - NOA received

April 14, 2011 - BIO Appt 5/6/11

May 6, 2011 - BIO done in 10 minutes...no re-takes this time :)

June 27, 2011 - Email rec'd "Status - Approved"

July 1, 2011 - 10 yr GC arrived

We arrived at the border around 8 pm on Sunday. When speaking to the first guard, I told her I was there to activate my K-1 Visa. She asked if I had any pets to which I replied yes and that I had his passport too. She then asked about household plants which I did not bring and then directed me to go inside.

The next guard I spoke with asked me if I had time cause this was not just a 5 minute process. I replied I had lots of time. He had an elderly guard assist him with the process. The elderly guard had a checklist that clearly indicated that the I-94 was to be stamped "Employment Unauthorized". I questioned this but he just kept replying that it was on his checklist. :angry: . I'm wondering how old that checklist is.

Not surprising that USCIS officious work with outdated checklists; even some forms list outdated designations (plain I-129, petition for nonimmigrant workerstill lists TC; the designation since 1994 has been TN-1

He told me that I could still travel back and forth to Canada until we got married. That is the date that starts the 90-day waiting period.
he's wrong here; it starts from activation.

So as of right now, it's looking like it will be the new year before I'll be able to go back to see my daughter. So I have to pray she will want to come here to see us.
Probably correct, considering that USCIS rarely processes the I-131 and I-765 within 90 days after submission of paperwork...

We have been to the courthouse to set the date for our "official" wedding which will be August 2. So in the meantime, I have to rely on my fiance to get us through these next 6 months. It will be tight especially if I can't collect EI. We will survive.
Edited by CherryXS

2005/07/10 I-129F filed for Pras

2005/11/07 I-129F approved, forwarded to NVC--to Chennai Consulate 2005/11/14

2005/12/02 Packet-3 received from Chennai

2005/12/21 Visa Interview Date

2006/04/04 Pras' entry into US at DTW

2006/04/15 Church Wedding at Novi (Detroit suburb), MI

2006/05/01 AOS Packet (I-485/I-131/I-765) filed at Chicago

2006/08/23 AP and EAD approved. Two down, 1.5 to go

2006/10/13 Pras' I-485 interview--APPROVED!

2006/10/27 Pras' conditional GC arrives -- .5 to go (2 yrs to Conditions Removal)

2008/07/21 I-751 (conditions removal) filed

2008/08/22 I-751 biometrics completed

2009/06/18 I-751 approved

2009/07/03 10-year GC received; last 0.5 done!

2009/07/23 Pras files N-400

2009/11/16 My 46TH birthday, Pras N-400 approved

2010/03/18 Pras' swear-in

---------------------------------------------------------------------

As long as the LORD's beside me, I don't care if this road ever ends.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Thank God you have VJ!! Can you imagine if you followed what they said and you visited Canada before you got your AP? You'd be screwed! That just makes me so mad that these morons flippantly give us incorrect info that can create havoc on our lives. I want them held accountable!! It may sound like I'm over-reacting, but what they (uscis customer service and POE officers) told us a year ago could have left my fiance homeless for almost a year!! I won't get into it here, but i'm serious. :angry:

3/5/11 sent LOC paperwork

3/9/11 date of NOA

?/?/?? biometrics appointment

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I agree they need to fix this bs ####### they are giving ppl the wrong information and can really screw it up for some.

I guess I got Lucky when we crossed (same border as BH45). The guy we had was very experienced in processing the K-1 visas he was training 3 others to do it too since i had the 5 visas to activate. Interesting how he was very speciphic (sp) not to cross any boarder or I wont get back in and how i shouldn't have any trouble since i was far enough away from any borders I wouldnt accidently cross one. He even went into detail about all the other forms we have to file after we got married. But again he was new to the Sault border cause he would mention on how they did it at the other place to do it this way not that way.

Glad you made it through ok and now can relaxe a bit.

Danielle

Edited by Ontarkie
Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Filed: Timeline
Thank God you have VJ!! Can you imagine if you followed what they said and you visited Canada before you got your AP? You'd be screwed! That just makes me so mad that these morons flippantly give us incorrect info that can create havoc on our lives. I want them held accountable!! It may sound like I'm over-reacting, but what they (uscis customer service and POE officers) told us a year ago could have left my fiance homeless for almost a year!! I won't get into it here, but i'm serious. :angry:

I want them to experience a taste of their own medicine. :devil:

iagree.gif

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline

The next guard I spoke with asked me if I had time cause this was not just a 5 minute process. I replied I had lots of time. He had an elderly guard assist him with the process. The elderly guard had a checklist that clearly indicated that the I-94 was to be stamped "Employment Unauthorized". I questioned this but he just kept replying that it was on his checklist. :angry: . I'm wondering how old that checklist is. It seems like everyone else has been granted that 90 work ok. Obviously I picked the wrong POE.

All in all it only took about 20 - 30 minutes. A second guard came along and he was very nice. He told me that I could still travel back and forth to Canada until we got married. That is the date that starts the 90-day waiting period. So as of right now, it's looking like it will be the new year before I'll be able to go back to see my daughter. So I have to pray she will want to come here to see us.

I'm late to the party as usual :blush: Welcome to the U.S. Kelly :thumbs:

Wishing you and your hunnie every happiness on you're upcoming marriage, btw August 2nd is my 3rd Wedding Anniversary and my eldest son's 21st Birthday :P:star:

Separated!!

I'm late to the party as usual :blush: Welcome to the U.S. Kelly :thumbs:

Wishing you and your hunnie every happiness on you're upcoming marriage, btw August 2nd is my 3rd Wedding Anniversary and my eldest son's 21st Birthday :P:star:

We picked a good day then, didn't we? Thanks Maria.

April 13, 2009 - Welcome to the USA letter rec'd. PRC to be rec'd within 3 weeks.

April 16, 2009 - 2 yr GC rec'd in mail.

March 2, 2011 - Mailed in I-751 to CSC

March 4, 2011 - I-751 delivered to CSC

March 4, 2011 - NOA issued

March 12, 2011 - NOA received

April 14, 2011 - BIO Appt 5/6/11

May 6, 2011 - BIO done in 10 minutes...no re-takes this time :)

June 27, 2011 - Email rec'd "Status - Approved"

July 1, 2011 - 10 yr GC arrived

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

be sure to fill out the poe review!

http://www.visajourney.com/reviews/poereviews.php

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.