Roxyroo

How can I be sure I will receive my NOA1 and NOA2?

11 posts in this topic

Hi all,

Ok, probably a silly worry, but I will be here in Bogotá during this whole process and will put the I129F in the mail in a couple weeks. So I want any and all contact from the USCIS to be sent to my apartment in Bogotá. But I guess I'm a little doubtful about the guarantees of that happening.

Do I have to request all contact by email? Should I do that? Or is that a given?

Where would I write my email address, just in my contact info that will appear on every letter/attachment in the package?

Thanks (again)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ethiopia
Timeline

USCIS will only mail NOA1 & 2s to a US address. I would recommend having someone in the US pick up your mail or the address of a friend or family member when you file so they receive it directly. I'm not sure if USCIS mail can be forwarded; I think other VJers have said that it is not.

USCIS will only mail NOA1 & 2s to a US address. I would recommend having someone in the US pick up your mail or the address of a friend or family member when you file so they receive it directly. I'm not sure if USCIS mail can be forwarded; I think other VJers have said that it is not.

What?! Seriously?!

Geez, they sure make this difficult for people who want to live near their fiance during the process.

There is no way around this??

How do I make it clear the address I want things sent to in my I129F packet? Will I then have to have my friend/family member in the US send (DSL) everything on to me??

sheesh...

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Yes, you will need to have someone forward the mail to you. The K-1 is for US citizens who are resident in the US to file for a fiance to come and marry them. That is why they request a US address - you are living in the US and requesting permission for a foreign national to come and join you in the US. If you are not in the US, then there is no reason to petition to have someone join you in the US.

If you are resident outside of the US, then you don't have the option to have a fiance 'join you' as you are not in the US, but you do have the option to get married to that individual outside of the US and file DCF for your spouse. This requires you to have legal residency of some sort in the foreign country. If you have legal status while you are in Columbia, you might want to check out this option.

Most individuals do not have the option to spend time living with or near their fiance/es in the foreign country as they have to work to satisfy the affidavit of support requirements for when their foreign partners join them in the US. Separation, unfortunately, is a part of most long distance relationships, and no USCIS really doesn't care if they are making it difficult for you or not.

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Yes, you will need to have someone forward the mail to you. The K-1 is for US citizens who are resident in the US to file for a fiance to come and marry them. That is why they request a US address - you are living in the US and requesting permission for a foreign national to come and join you in the US. If you are not in the US, then there is no reason to petition to have someone join you in the US.

If you are resident outside of the US, then you don't have the option to have a fiance 'join you' as you are not in the US, but you do have the option to get married to that individual outside of the US and file DCF for your spouse. This requires you to have legal residency of some sort in the foreign country. If you have legal status while you are in Columbia, you might want to check out this option.

Most individuals do not have the option to spend time living with or near their fiance/es in the foreign country as they have to work to satisfy the affidavit of support requirements for when their foreign partners join them in the US. Separation, unfortunately, is a part of most long distance relationships, and no USCIS really doesn't care if they are making it difficult for you or not.

Ok....now I am totally, totally confused. I have been planning for months to file K-1 and just about have the whole package ready.

As far as I understand it, I can do the K1 petition legally. I live and work in Colombia but I do NOT have residency here. I have been here for 2 academic years (I teach high school) but I go home every Christmas and summer. As I further understand the requirements, I know that unless you reside in a country for more than 6 months without setting foot in the US, you cannot be considered a legal resident of that country and are still considered a resident of the US.

Furthermore, I am almost positive DCF is not an option in Colombia.

I will be back teaching school in New York Fall of 2009 and will leave Colombia for the US late Spring-Summer 2009. So, I am indeed petitioning to have my fiance "join" me in the US.

Because I was already here, and we were beginning this process, I decided to stay on (aside from going back to the US for about 6 weeks this summer, when I will send the I-129F) and so will also be having a sponsor, as I already understand that because I am not working in the US, I cannot satisfy the affidavit of support.

So, please, someone tell me if I am crazy and after having done all this work and research am doing totally the wrong thing, and should really be finding out if I can do DCF or a K-3...?

If I am not crazy and not going about this all wrong, the concern over having things sent to me from the USCIS will remain my main concern.

Which now is......

How do I do that? Can I have things sent to my sisters address and she can forward them on to me? (My parents' address is not an option as they still haven't even adjusted to me being in Colombia, let alone starting this whole process with a Colombian...sigh.)

What exactly would I need to attach in my I-129F packet to make this mailing situation clear?? Does anyone know if this will be looked at weird in anyway, or it's obvious that this is my option because I am not legally a resident of Colombia?

Thank you all so much for any help or advice.

Timeline

As a US citizen, yes, you can do a K-1. You will need to have a US address so if your sister's works, that is fine. Since your presence working in Columbia is temporary, you can consider your sister's address as your permanent US address until you have one for yourself, but your temporary address is in Columbia. Without US sourced income you will probably need a co-sponsor for the Affidavit of Support. You can explain about your situation in a cover letter if you feel it needs clarification. You are not crazy for pursuing this, although if you will be in Columbia for another year teaching why not look at what is involved in getting married and sponsoring your wife for a K-3? it seems to me that both options are worthy of consideration.

(Sorry, for any confusion - from your first post it sounded like you were living permanently in Columbia).

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

As a US citizen, yes, you can do a K-1. You will need to have a US address so if your sister's works, that is fine. Since your presence working in Columbia is temporary, you can consider your sister's address as your permanent US address until you have one for yourself, but your temporary address is in Columbia. Without US sourced income you will probably need a co-sponsor for the Affidavit of Support. You can explain about your situation in a cover letter if you feel it needs clarification. You are not crazy for pursuing this, although if you will be in Columbia for another year teaching why not look at what is involved in getting married and sponsoring your wife for a K-3? it seems to me that both options are worthy of consideration.

(Sorry, for any confusion - from your first post it sounded like you were living permanently in Columbia).

No, good Lord, I am the one who is confused. Thanks for the reassurances about going the K-1 route. I just got really freaked out that I had possibly done all the wrong work!

I guess as for a permanent US address, I consider that to be my parents', as that is where I have mail sent and what I use for my US bank accounts, etc. But.....my parents have never warmed up to the idea of me living in Colombia at all, so it will definitely take some gentle talking and a lot of waiting for them to warm up to me being engaged to a Colombian! :( I am not saying they would sabotage this by not forwarding on correspondence from the USCIS, but I know I can rely on my sister and it won't be a whole big emotional thing.

We looked into all 3 options (K1, K3, DCF) and he and I are really most comfortable with K1 and it seems to work best with our timeline. We want to get married in the US. Also, I am pretty certain I have a close, reliable friend lined up as his co-sponsor.

So, if that is all settled, and I can really send this packet, my last question is:

How do I go about using my sister's address? Would that be the address I would need to write on all my correspondence (cover letter, letter of intent, etc) to make clear that that is where I want all correspondence sent (and then she'll forward everything to me)? Right now I have my Bogota address, so maybe that is not the best idea. Someone here told me they put their work address, so I guess it doesn't have to be a residence? Maybe I'll put her address as the answer to #14, fiance's intended residence. We might end up staying with her when we come back anyway.

Do I need to attach a letter explaining that?

I'm sorry to ramble...This whole process makes me feel like I am losing my mind. And we haven't even started it yet!! <_<

Timeline

If your sister's address is the one you want to have mail sent to, put that as your US mailing address/permanent address in the US and make sure your sister knows ;) . Use that as your main correspondence address, cover letter address, letter of intent, etc. instead of the Bogata address . The Bogota address is your temporary address for now. Your sister should notify her post office to expect mail addressed to you at her address as well just to make sure it is delivered. She will then forward anything received from USCIS addressed to you to your Bogata address by the most expeditious means. Certainly put your sister's address down for # 14 if you expect to stop there upon your arrival in the US. For the I-129f you can expect to receive in the mail first the NOA1 - that is your receipt advising you they have received your package; then the NOA 2, which is your approval notice. You will need your approval notice for later on after you are married so make sure you don't lose it as it is expensive to replace. The other correspondence that you might receive would be an RFE - Request for Evidence . That means that there is something either missing or they want more verification. If you get an RFE make sure you receive it as quickly as possible because there is often a time limit on replying to them with the requested information. Once you receive the NOA2 you are in the clear and everything will be forwarded first to the National Benefits Center in the US, and then to Bogota in Columbia. The process then switches to Bogota and your fiancee's address. She is responsible for completing the second phase of the process - the actual application for the K-1 visa.

Once you send in the I-129f and receive the NOA1, there will be a case number assigned to your file included on the NOA1. You can register that number on line with USCIS and be able to check the status of your file from then on. Generally, your online file will let you know if an RFE has been sent to you and you can advise your sister to expect it. Your online status should also advise you when your application has been approved and forwarded to Bogota for the next stage of the process.

Keep in touch with VJ during the process as well as you will receive useful information that will help you during the process, plus if you have questions there will always be someone who can give you some insight.

Good luck. And don't worry - while the process does make you feel like you are losing your mind most of us generally do make it through to the other end relatively sane, although somewhat worse for wear!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Iraq
Timeline
Hi all,

Ok, probably a silly worry, but I will be here in Bogotá during this whole process and will put the I129F in the mail in a couple weeks. So I want any and all contact from the USCIS to be sent to my apartment in Bogotá. But I guess I'm a little doubtful about the guarantees of that happening.

Do I have to request all contact by email? Should I do that? Or is that a given?

Where would I write my email address, just in my contact info that will appear on every letter/attachment in the package?

Thanks (again)

I live in Korea. I received a letter from NVC at my Korean address. I received NOA2 via email.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I-129:

11/27/07: NOA1

5/02/08: NOA2 (157 days from NOA1)

6/16/08: K1 Interview- ADMINISTRATIVE PROCESSING CO quoted us 2-4 weeks (45 days from NOA2 - 202 days from NOA1)

4/06/09: VISA IN HAND

6/20/09: POE LAX

7/4/09: Making it Legal - Wedding

10/17/09: The big wedding ceremony

AOS:

7/22/09: AOS Paperwork filed

10/27/09: Interview - APPROVED

10/31/09: Welcome Letter Received

Removing Conditions:

7/29/11: I-751 paperwork filed

2/14/12: Card Production Ordered!

2/18/12: Green Card Received

Citizenship:

12/26/12: Paperwork filed

12/31/12: NOA Date

1/14/13: Biometrics Appt

2/26/13: Interview

3/27/13: Oath Ceremony!!

6/30/13: Baby Due Date :)

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
Hi all,

Thanks (again)

I live in Korea. I received a letter from NVC at my Korean address. I received NOA2 via email.

All well and good but you will need that hard copy of NOA2 when you file AOS after marriage. The fee to replace it is $340.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.