NINA58

DS-230 ORIGINAL OR CERTIFIED TRANSLATION AND COPY?

16 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

I am a US citizen and petitioner. I applied for my father to come to us from Iran.

I have already sent the affidavit of support to NVC and trying to get ready for DS-230 and required doquments.

Could someone tell me is it Ok if I send the copy and certified translated birth certificate and marriage certificate and other items or not?

I really am afraid to send the originals, what if it get lost?

My dad will have his interview in Abu Dhabi, has any body from Iran been through this?

Thanks

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Anything that you send to the NVC at this point needs to be either the original document or certified copy. If it's a plain photocopy they won't accept it.

Diana

CR-1

02/05/07 - I-130 sent to NSC

05/03/07 - NOA2

05/10/07 - NVC receives petition, case # assigned

08/08/07 - Case Complete

09/27/07 - Interview, visa granted

10/02/07 - POE

11/16/07 - Received green card and Welcome to America letter in the mail

Removing Conditions

07/06/09 - I-751 sent to CSC

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

10/01/09 - Received 10 year green card

U.S. Citizenship

03/30/11 - N-400 sent via Priority Mail w/ delivery confirmation

05/12/11 - Biometrics

07/20/11 - Interview - passed

07/20/11 - Oath ceremony - same day as interview

Also , you dont need anything translated unless it is not in the language of the country that the interview will be held in.

The thing is I don't know where you can get certified copy? I know that in Iran there are companies that can translate documents and take it to justice department and they stamp it and etc, so that it shows its been properly translated and is not fake.

But Im not sure its what they are asking for.

HELP:(

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

Check this out too http://www.iranembassy.hu/birthcertificate.html

Renewal of old birth certificates

The following documents are required for the renewal of old birth certificates:

1. Application forms: 1, 2

2. The original old birth certificate including a photocopy of that.

3. 4 (6x4) photographs with personal detail written on the back (ladies with Hejab).

4. Photocopies of pages 2-9 of passport and the page holding visa (2 copies).

5. If the application is made for son/daughter, a complete set of photocopies of his/her passport should be attached.

Either way , contact the embassy and see what you can do to get a second copy for immigration purposes. What is consdered an original is really a copy anyway, only it is an official copy. To get an original/Certified copy they must be obtained by the government agency that is respsonsible for giving birth certificates to everyone for example new born children who never had one.

Check this out too http://www.iranembassy.hu/birthcertificate.html

Renewal of old birth certificates

The following documents are required for the renewal of old birth certificates:

1. Application forms: 1, 2

2. The original old birth certificate including a photocopy of that.

3. 4 (6x4) photographs with personal detail written on the back (ladies with Hejab).

4. Photocopies of pages 2-9 of passport and the page holding visa (2 copies).

5. If the application is made for son/daughter, a complete set of photocopies of his/her passport should be attached.

Either way , contact the embassy and see what you can do to get a second copy for immigration purposes. What is consdered an original is really a copy anyway, only it is an official copy. To get an original/Certified copy they must be obtained by the government agency that is respsonsible for giving birth certificates to everyone for example new born children who never had one.

I am asking about my father's documents. He lives in Iran. Any Iranians with the same experience?

Timeline

Sorry for trying to give you some help. Either way you dont need translated documents for anything with the DS 230 if he is from Iran and his interview will be in Iran. Again sorry for trying to give you some help but maybe you should try to find out how Iran issues birth certificates and ask for a second copy so you dont have to send your original.

Hello my friend!!!! :wow:

A second advice from whom is not from Iran but is aware that NO TRANSLATIONS ARE NEEDED FOR YOUR FATHER'S DOCUMENTS!

Since people from Iran is not attending to your call so far but others, you should show more consideration, otherwise you just take your time and read the guides, you might don't get anyone's advices next time. 000 even looked for specific information to send it to you, don't you think he deserves some consideration and appreciation for that?

By the way, when you read the guides, you'll find the information where it says that you don't need any translations, I know that because I've read it.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jordan
Timeline
I am a US citizen and petitioner. I applied for my father to come to us from Iran.

I have already sent the affidavit of support to NVC and trying to get ready for DS-230 and required doquments.

Could someone tell me is it Ok if I send the copy and certified translated birth certificate and marriage certificate and other items or not?

I really am afraid to send the originals, what if it get lost?

My dad will have his interview in Abu Dhabi, has any body from Iran been through this?

Thanks

I see others are saying a translation is not needed for the Ds-230. We are in Jordan and our packet with the DS-230 states we need to have the originals translated to English if they are in Arabic. Please note that each Embassy can request more information then listed on the USCIS website. For example we needed our marriage contract when first filing the I-130 and not the marriage certificate. The best way for him to find out is contact the Embassy your dealing with.

Edited by jenmoh

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

It is my understanding that if you are sending documents to the NVC, then they will need to be translated to English. Please go to the state.gov website for more detailed information. Find your embassy and if your embassy is an appointment post, there is a set of instructions for you to follow.

If you are fluent (conversant) in both languages, then you can perform the translation yourself and save yourself the money. You'll need:

1. The original document (or certified copy)

2. A translation of the document to English

3. A notarized statement from the translator that says you are fluent in both languages and that the translations is accurate.

I believe that the only time when it is not necessary to translate documents that are not in English is if you are doing DCF, and the language of that document is in the same language as the embassy.

CR1 application

I-130: 03/26/2007-07/02/2007 at NSC

NVC: 07/20/2007-11/08/2007

Interview at Montreal Consulate: 01/18/2008

(2 months' additional security checks)

Received Green Card: 05/12/2008

Removal of Conditions

I-751: 2/25/10-

Timeline
It is my understanding that if you are sending documents to the NVC, then they will need to be translated to English. Please go to the state.gov website for more detailed information. Find your embassy and if your embassy is an appointment post, there is a set of instructions for you to follow.

If you are fluent (conversant) in both languages, then you can perform the translation yourself and save yourself the money. You'll need:

1. The original document (or certified copy)

2. A translation of the document to English

3. A notarized statement from the translator that says you are fluent in both languages and that the translations is accurate.

I believe that the only time when it is not necessary to translate documents that are not in English is if you are doing DCF, and the language of that document is in the same language as the embassy.

Again , from the set of instructions from the link you provided it states as follows regarding translations:

All documents not in english, or in the official language of the country in which the application for a visa is being made, must be accompained by certified translation.

Now , there could be different instructions for ME countries as the other member who went through the consulate in Jordan stated but unless it is stated on the consulates website for that consulate then everything else can be sent in as is as long as it meets the in english, or in the official language of the country rule.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

The language from the NVC is a bit misleading, here is the full text:

All documents not in English, or in the official language of the country in which application for a visa is being made, must be accompanied by certified translations.

The translation must include a statement signed by the translator that states that the:

• Translation is accurate, and

• Translator is competent to translate.

I've bolded the text to highlight to note that they are saying if you are applying for a visa directly at a foreign embassy and the documents are in the language of that country, then no translation is necessary. The key words there being "country in which": meaning DCF.

If you are sending your documents to the NVC then translations are needed because...well it's not the country in which the application for a visa is being made.

CR1 application

I-130: 03/26/2007-07/02/2007 at NSC

NVC: 07/20/2007-11/08/2007

Interview at Montreal Consulate: 01/18/2008

(2 months' additional security checks)

Received Green Card: 05/12/2008

Removal of Conditions

I-751: 2/25/10-

Timeline

All documents not in English, or in the official language of the country in which application for a visa is being made, must be accompanied by certified translations.

The translation must include a statement signed by the translator that states that the:

I've bolded the text to highlight to note that they are saying if you are applying for a visa directly at a foreign embassy and the documents are in the language of that country, then no translation is necessary. The key words there being "country in which": meaning DCF.

If you are sending your documents to the NVC then translations are needed because...well it's not the country in which the application for a visa is being made.

Check around on here, you will see that translations are not needed, as you can see from EdgarVirginia , they sent in no translations. They arent needed because the consulate in Brazil (where the visa is being applied at) handles the visa. NVC does not grant the visa, the consulate does. And Edgarvirginia did not send in any translations, her visa was granted today. Her DS -230 was sent to nvc first too , and all the supporting documents were in portuguese, because that is the language of Brazil. The visa is approved and given at the consulate level, NVC does not approve visas or provide them on a passport. Your right the wording is a bit confusing but translations are not needed as long as they are in English or the official language of the country in which the application is being made(the country where you will have your interview).

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

Check around on here, you will see that translations are not needed, as you can see from EdgarVirginia , they sent in no translations. They arent needed because the consulate in Brazil (where the visa is being applied at) handles the visa. NVC does not grant the visa, the consulate does. And Edgarvirginia did not send in any translations, her visa was granted today. Her DS -230 was sent to nvc first too , and all the supporting documents were in portuguese, because that is the language of Brazil. The visa is approved and given at the consulate level, NVC does not approve visas or provide them on a passport. Your right the wording is a bit confusing but translations are not needed as long as they are in English or the official language of the country in which the application is being made(the country where you will have your interview).

If it's any help... my case is going to Germany and we did not need translations. I read the same text posted above: If your documents are not in English, or the language of the country in which the interview is being conducted in.....

Edited by przy
blackribbonsmall.png

I-130 Petition

Service Center : California Service Center

Consulate : Frankfurt, Germany

Married in Germany : 10-19-2007

I-130 Sent : 01-03-2008

I-130 NOA1 : 02-07-2008

I-130 NOA2 : 04-28-2008

NVC Case Number Assigned : 05-02-2008

DS-3032 and AOS Fee Received from NVC: 05-17-2008

DS-3032 Choice of Agent Emailed to NVC: 05-17-2008

AOS Fee Paid Online: 05-19-2008 (PAID 05-20-2008)

AOS Sent To NVC: 05-27-2008 (Coversheet printed online)

DS-3032 accepted by NVC: 05-27-2008

I-864 Arrived at NVC: 05-28-2008

I-864 Entered into NVC System: 06-02-2008

IV Bill Received: 06-02-2008

IV Bill Paid: 06-03-2008

DS-230 sent to NVC via USPS Express Mail: 06-26-2008

DS-230 arrived at the NVC: 06-27-2008

DS-230 entered into system: 06-30-2008

Case Completed at NVC: 07-07-2008

Case Left the NVC for Frankfurt, Germany: 07-15-2008

Case Received at the Consulate: 07-17-2008

Interview Letter Received: 07-25-2008

Medical Appointment in Hamburg, Germany: 08-04-2008

Interview in Frankfurt, Germany at 8:00am: 08-13-2008 - APPROVED - VISA GRANTED

Visa Received in the Mail: 08-15-2008

Flight to the USA: 09-26-2008 (POE - LAX @ 3:40pm)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.