CassandraHaydar

Converting for your Muslim SO?

Converting for your Muslim SO?  

61 members have voted

1. 1. When you married a Muslim, did you convert to Islam? Or, if you are not yet married, what is your guess?

• I was already Muslim.
    • Yes, at my SO's request.
    • Yes, but I would have anyway.
    • No.
    • I haven't decided yet.
    • Other

41 posts in this topic

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

I was already a revert when I met my husband, however, I would NOT have reverted just for his sake. I don't believe anyone should do so unless its from their heart. Years ago, I dated someone of the Jewish faith and the time considered myself a 'spiritualist,' with no affiliation to any denomination. We talked about children and I agreed to raise them in his faith, but that I would not convert.

When it comes to children, I think some form of faith is a good thing. Praise God we are both believers and plan to raise children accordingly. It should be done from the heart though, not for another person.

ETA: This is just my opinion though. Also, being exposed and learning more because of you SO and then reverting isn't a bad thing either. Again, as long as its from your heart.

Edited by lion_lioness

1st K-1 Journey:

June 2005 - filed

October 2005 - visa interview

March 2006 - AOS packet mailed

DIVORCED

June 2007 - Interview

2008 - 10 year approval

--------

2nd K-1 Journey:

07/28/07 - AOS paperwork mailed

07/30/07 - Received at lockbox

09/18/07 - Biometrics

10/15/07 - Transferred to CSC

01/09/08 - AOS approved w/o interivew

11/01/09 - Lift conditions

11/01/10 - interview to lift conditions/10-yr card

01/01/10 - 10 year approval

DIVORCED

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
No, I am not religious even though I was raised with it never made sense to me. :wacko:

Were you raised Catholic, GG?

(just curious)

Funny that you mention being Catholic - I was raised Catholic and growing up in Poland I was pretty active in church and all but once I got here and the more I thought about religion and aspect of it as Ganja said it just lost the connection and have been non-practicing for the past 18 years...

Citizenship (N-400)

09/15/2009 - Application mailed to Texas Lockbox

09/17/2009 - Delivered to the Lockbox

09/21/2009 - Check cashed

09/24/2009 - NOA dated 9/18/09

09/26/2009 - RFE mailed out dated 9/25 (biometrics notice)

10/14/2009 - Biometrics completed

01/01/2010 - finally an update - awaiting interview letter

02/08/2010 - interview (Garden City, NY) -- PASSED

03/03/2010 - Oath Ceremony in Brooklyn

03/13/2010 - U.S. Passport in hand

DONE!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

Nope!

I knew about Islam but became interested after 9/11 also. I didn't know where to go or what to do so I didn't really pursue it. I met hubby and we discussed it at great lengths. The more I learned about it, the more I thought it sounded so much more like the way I believed and brought its followers soooo much closer to God than I felt. My main set-back was my belief in Jesus(pbuh). It took me a long time to realize that I didn't lose my belief in him but gained a belief that Prophet Mohammed (pbuh) (the same person that was spoken of in the Bible that would bring forth the message again) also brought the message ..... It was through many discussions with our very own Jackie that helped me realize that Islam was the place for me. I will forever be thankful to her for helping me find my way.

Thank you Jackie. I love ya girl

(F) amal (F)

Mohammed is not in the Bible. if you mean the voice in the desert in Isaiah, that is the spirit of Elijah, which was fulfilled by John the Baptist explicitly, and also mentioned at that point that he was fulfilling the voice in the desert. That is a common misuse of teh verse by removing it from the context. It is that the spirit of Elijah will come to declare the coming of the Messiah if you actually read it in context, which is what John the Baptist did-- the voice in the desert, crying, prepare the way for the L-rd. Jews would just disagree it has been fulfilled, but it is still Elijah or the spirit of Elijah.

None of my posts have ever been helpful. Be forewarned.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline

We are both Muslim, but there is no way I would change my religion to please my SO.

Edited by ZeeNusah

Mama to 2 beautiful boys (August 2011 and January 2015)

Click for full timeline

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline
Nope!

I knew about Islam but became interested after 9/11 also. I didn't know where to go or what to do so I didn't really pursue it. I met hubby and we discussed it at great lengths. The more I learned about it, the more I thought it sounded so much more like the way I believed and brought its followers soooo much closer to God than I felt. My main set-back was my belief in Jesus(pbuh). It took me a long time to realize that I didn't lose my belief in him but gained a belief that Prophet Mohammed (pbuh) (the same person that was spoken of in the Bible that would bring forth the message again) also brought the message ..... It was through many discussions with our very own Jackie that helped me realize that Islam was the place for me. I will forever be thankful to her for helping me find my way.

Thank you Jackie. I love ya girl

(F) amal (F)

Mohammed is not in the Bible. if you mean the voice in the desert in Isaiah, that is the spirit of Elijah, which was fulfilled by John the Baptist explicitly, and also mentioned at that point that he was fulfilling the voice in the desert. That is a common misuse of teh verse by removing it from the context. It is that the spirit of Elijah will come to declare the coming of the Messiah if you actually read it in context, which is what John the Baptist did-- the voice in the desert, crying, prepare the way for the L-rd. Jews would just disagree it has been fulfilled, but it is still Elijah or the spirit of Elijah.

Julianna, thank you for this clarification. I wanted to post what you said, but I held back because I did not want to come across as offensive, which you did not only because you explain better than I .

Don't just open your mouth and prove yourself a fool....put it in writing.

It gets harder the more you know. Because the more you find out, the uglier everything seems.

kodasmall3.jpg

Filed: Country: Libya
Timeline

Muhammad sal allahu alayhi wa salaam is in the bible. You may disagree but that's my belief and others. Maybe she's talking about the Comforter in John 14.

Muslimwoman-1-1.jpg

99GEAq-6owA

We need a Ramadan!! (part one)

VP's Blog

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
oh boy....

have some :pop:

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

I don't understand how someone can convert to any religion for another person. That really doesn't make sense to me. Either you believe in that religion and personally feel connected to God through it or you don't..... religion is for God not for another person. :star:

:thumbs:

My family is muslim but my mother and I and some of her family have converted to the christian faith back home in Algeria. Missionaries were there in the dark times and led us to a new hope. My spouse is "muslim" but he is open to christianity. My baby goes to church with me :thumbs: talk about a great man. I wouldn't revert to Islam again because I didn't feel it historically came together in my mind and I'm not drawn as I am to Christianity and Jesus Christ. I'm a very happy and fulfilled individual now life just gets better and better even though there are ups and downs. I do respect all Muslims because that's my brothers and sisters.

بحبك يا حبيبي اكمني بهواك و بحس انك مني

5474201_bodyshot_300x400_1214598846979.gif

5474626_bodyshot_300x400_1214601075246.gif

oh boy....

Or we can just make this easy.....

Christians believe Mohammed was not mentioned in the bible...

Muslims believe Mohammed was mentioned in the bible.....

END OF STORY...agree to disagree :thumbs: Because frankly no one here is going to be able to convince anyone otherwise.

VJ Hours - I am available M-F from 10am - 5pm PST. I will occasionaly put in some OT for a fairly good poo slinging thread or a donut.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline
oh boy....

Or we can just make this easy.....

Christians believe Mohammed was not mentioned in the bible...

Muslims believe Mohammed was mentioned in the bible.....

END OF STORY...agree to disagree :thumbs: Because frankly no one here is going to be able to convince anyone otherwise.

:thumbs:

Mama to 2 beautiful boys (August 2011 and January 2015)

Click for full timeline

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

I made it very clear from the beginning how important my religion was to me and that I would not be considering changing. We had many and continue to have many discussions about the similarities and differences between our religions. We've had some pretty heated discussions but we both highly respect each other's religion. The more we talk about it, the more similarities we see than differences. He doesn't practice Islam but he talks about wanting to. I practice (to the best of my abilitiy-there's lots of room for improvement :innocent: ) my religion and am a teacher each week and he supports me in that.

I believe that every religion is the same at the core. Each one is trying to help humans be the best that they can be through love and forgiveness. Each one just goes about it a little differently.

"True freedom and the end of suffering is living in such a way as if you had completely chosen whatever you feel or experience at this moment. This inner alignment with Now is the end of suffering. Is suffering really necessary? Yes and no. If you had not suffered as you have, there would be no depth to you as a human being, no humility, no compassion. You would not be reading this now. Suffering cracks open the shell of ego, and then comes a point when it has served its purpose. Suffering is necessary until you realize it is unnecessary." Eckhart Tolle

usmorocco-1.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.