wikdwelder

Immigration

13 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

Hello everyone! My new wife an I are new members and we are fortunate to have found this site, we have been together for 16 months and have just recently married in may :dance: ! I am from North Carolina and she is from Ontario, Canada. She is moving here to the states after all is said an done, we are just starting to gather the material for the K-3 visa. My question is what timelines should we go by? In the end whats the full cost? We are doing all the paperwork ourselves and want to make sure everything is in full an correct so any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks again an have a Great day! :thumbs:

post-50625-1214424522_thumb.jpg

Well, maybe they'll get lucky and be one of those couples who get through the system quickly, fwaguy.

Sure wish you had done a K-1 though... Much faster.

I'm not sure you can really estimate how long it will take at this point. You'll be a Vermont/Montreal filer. Just follow what the guides say and the rest is up to the gods and USCIS.

File your I-130 as soon as you can. Get the clock moving.

Sent I-130 to VT 25-Oct-2007

I-130 Moved to California 6-August-2008

My petition has been in 3 states (1, twice) in 9 months!

Rec'd by CSC 8/9, touched 8/11, 8/12, 8/15, 8/20, 8/25

Approved Tuesday, 25-August-2008

10 months since we mailed the petition

Rec'd NVC 9/3, Invoice Generated 9/10, DS-3032 emailed 9/11.

Rec'd AOS invoice 9/15, paid online 9/15, Accepted as Paid 9/18, mailed I-864EZ 9/19

IV Invoiced 9/18, paid online 9/19, Accepted as paid 9/22

DS-230 sent 10/2

Case complete @NVC 10/8 - 11 months, 1 week and 6 days

Interview in Montreal December 18, 2008 - scheduled 1 year, 1 week and 3 days after the start of our journey. Takes place 1 year, 1 month, 3 weeks and 2 days after the start...

[X] Passed [ ] Failed Interview

Thursday, April 2, 2009 Activated Visa - 1 year, 5 months, 1 week and 1 day

You mean she will be moving here about a year from now

Hopefully....

Plan on visiting each other as this can take some time and waiting with no end in sight ain't easy. You can still go for DCF maybe? If had to do it again I would not be filing I-130 at the VSC, no matter what. There are alternatives. Then again visiting each other can be fun too. Some petitions do get processed quickly but you never know when or even if...that must be the fun part I suppose as there isn't anything else fun in this process.

This sucks more than anything else has ever sucked before.

An October 2007 I-130, I-129F filer.

Should've played the Green Card Lottery instead - it's less random and more reliable.

"Inflammable means flammable???!!! What a country!" - Dr. Nick :)

Hi Dr. Nick!

Maybe the fun part is paying them to ignore your petition...

Nah. Probably not.

Rec'd AOS invoice 9/15, paid online 9/15, Accepted as Paid 9/18, mailed I-864EZ 9/19

DS-230 sent 10/2

Interview in Montreal December 18, 2008 - scheduled 1 year, 1 week and 3 days after the start of our journey. Takes place 1 year, 1 month, 3 weeks and 2 days after the start...

My kids just got their K-3 interview date - 8 months from when they filed. Grant it, VSC and Canada are not the same as the CSC and Bangkok. Just be be very patient and it will come about. Just make sure to follow the instructions on the forms and read the guides and ask any questions here that you may have.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi everyone,

Now this thread has got me curious. I currently have a b1/b2 visa. My questions is if we go the k3 route, will my b2 visa be revoked? I would surely still want to visit the US even while my K3 is in process... What are your thoughts???

Thanks!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
Hi everyone,

Now this thread has got me curious. I currently have a b1/b2 visa. My questions is if we go the k3 route, will my b2 visa be revoked? I would surely still want to visit the US even while my K3 is in process... What are your thoughts???

Thanks!

No

YMMV

... but, it is up to the border guards to say who will or will not be allowed admission to the country. So, even w/a valid visa they can decide (based on their own criteria) that what you really intend is to immigrate illegally, and turn you away.

Our experience is with driving between Ottawa and NY. Zero problems at the border. Lots and lots of crossings. He's got proof of ties to Canada with him but they've never asked for it. He did get the full work-up once but that was only because he was the lucky 200th customer, it wasn't because he's married to a USC. He always tells them he's going to visit his wife and they're always fine with it. Sometimes they ask which of us is going to move. He tells them we've applied for a CR1. They wish him luck.

That said, there have been people who have been denied entry to the US from Canada. One person had too much stuff with her and it didn't look like just a visit. Others have been denied for not a whole lot of reason that can be detected. Some guards just don't believe in letting someone in who has a petition in progress.

DS-230 sent 10/2

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
... but, it is up to the border guards to say who will or will not be allowed admission to the country. So, even w/a valid visa they can decide (based on their own criteria) that what you really intend is to immigrate illegally, and turn you away.

Our experience is with driving between Ottawa and NY. Zero problems at the border. Lots and lots of crossings. He's got proof of ties to Canada with him but they've never asked for it. He did get the full work-up once but that was only because he was the lucky 200th customer, it wasn't because he's married to a USC. He always tells them he's going to visit his wife and they're always fine with it. Sometimes they ask which of us is going to move. He tells them we've applied for a CR1. They wish him luck.

That said, there have been people who have been denied entry to the US from Canada. One person had too much stuff with her and it didn't look like just a visit. Others have been denied for not a whole lot of reason that can be detected. Some guards just don't believe in letting someone in who has a petition in progress.

Correct, entry is a whole separate process and is never guaranteed

YMMV

Oh goody. My estimated dates from VJ have moved to between "June 23, 2008 and July 24, 2008*." :crying:

DS-230 sent 10/2

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
Hello everyone! My new wife an I are new members and we are fortunate to have found this site, we have been together for 16 months and have just recently married in may :dance: ! I am from North Carolina and she is from Ontario, Canada. She is moving here to the states after all is said an done, we are just starting to gather the material for the K-3 visa. My question is what timelines should we go by? In the end whats the full cost? We are doing all the paperwork ourselves and want to make sure everything is in full an correct so any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks again an have a Great day! :thumbs:

Since you'll be going through Montreal, I'd seriously consider just filing the I-130 and going the CR1 visa route. Skip the K3. Lots of discussion on that. You'll want to check oot the Canada regional forum too.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

It is such a tough call between the K3 and the CR1 now. And it is hard to predict what Vermont's priorities will be at any given moment. There was a time when the difference between a K3 and a CR1 dwindled and the CR1 became the clear winner because of the lower cost and lower longer-term hassle. But now, the wait is something that can't be predicted.

I couldn't even begin to suggest which is better right now.

DS-230 sent 10/2

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.