dagobert2

Visa Registration

21 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
But even 2 months is long enough for a law to change.
Well gee, the law can change every day. It could even change while you're in flight on the way to Moscow. At some point, you have to hope for the best.

PEOPLE: READ THE APPLICATION FORM INSTRUCTIONS!!!! They have a lot of good information in them! Most of the questions I see on VJ are clearly addressed by the form instructions. Give them a read!! If you are unable to understand the form instructions, I highly recommend hiring someone who does to help you with the process. Our process, from K-1 to Citizenship and U.S. Passport is completed. Good luck with your process.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
But even 2 months is long enough for a law to change.
Well gee, the law can change every day. It could even change while you're in flight on the way to Moscow. At some point, you have to hope for the best.
Ever seen the movie The Terminal! The entire government could seize to exist on your flight into Russia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Terminal

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
The entire government could seize to exist on your flight into Russia.
That's true. That's happened to me TWICE!! It's a real pain in the ###.

PEOPLE: READ THE APPLICATION FORM INSTRUCTIONS!!!! They have a lot of good information in them! Most of the questions I see on VJ are clearly addressed by the form instructions. Give them a read!! If you are unable to understand the form instructions, I highly recommend hiring someone who does to help you with the process. Our process, from K-1 to Citizenship and U.S. Passport is completed. Good luck with your process.

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

I've lived in Russia since 2003 and I HATE THE STUPID VISA/REGISTRATION RULES!!!!! Yes, they can change overnight and the government doesn't warn anybody. Happened to me on a trip to Ukraine. Got an email from a friend that the registration rules would be different 2 days before I crossed back to Russia. As for the new registration, it is a seperate piece of paper that is issued by OVIR (I can't remember their new name) that you must carry in your passport on your person at all times. When you leave the country you must give it back to OVIR so they can unregister you. Passport control only asks for this paper if they are looking for a "donation".

Edited by PJB

Feb 11, 2005 ZAGS wedding in Moscow

Aug 7,2005 married in the Cathedral in Dmitrov

June 27, 2008 mail I-130

July 11,2008 sent I-129F

Oct 2, 2008 Yuri received packets 3+4 from US Embassy Moscow

Nov 20, 2008 Interview....VISA APPROVED!!!!!!

Dec 10, 2008 Yuri arrived! No problems :)

April 20, 2009 mailed AOS

May 4, 2009 medical exam

May 21, 2009 biometrics done

June 5, 2009 received EAD by mail

Aug 10, 2009 interview-given greencard congradulations letter with stamp

Thanks everyone for your feedback on this lively and controversial topic. At least getting a visitor's visa to Russia is easy. Don't we all wish the same were true the other way around. In this case my wife will arrive in Russia a week ahead of me so she will look into what the current rules are. The post office process sounds nice and easy if indeed it is still the process in Kazan. The last time I was there they were using the migration card stamping process along with some computer database process with the hotels. Didn't make a whole lot of sense and I ended up losing the migration card. That made for some nervous conversations with my wife-to-be and some unpleasant words from Moscow passport control but otherwise no big deal. So I guess we'll see what the game is this time. I am looking forward to the trip. It has been nearly two years since I have been there.

2007-01-19 Marriage

2007-10-15 K3/K4 Issued in Moscow

2008-04-17 Permanent Resident Card issued in Chicago

Filed: Country: Russia
Timeline
Thanks everyone for your feedback on this lively and controversial topic. At least getting a visitor's visa to Russia is easy. Don't we all wish the same were true the other way around. In this case my wife will arrive in Russia a week ahead of me so she will look into what the current rules are. The post office process sounds nice and easy if indeed it is still the process in Kazan. The last time I was there they were using the migration card stamping process along with some computer database process with the hotels. Didn't make a whole lot of sense and I ended up losing the migration card. That made for some nervous conversations with my wife-to-be and some unpleasant words from Moscow passport control but otherwise no big deal. So I guess we'll see what the game is this time. I am looking forward to the trip. It has been nearly two years since I have been there.

Be more careful with your migration card this time!!!

Первый блин комом.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.