MarkandLada

The Interview...Russian Or English??

34 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Russia
Timeline
I don't want to start a new topic. Let me just tell you what the situation is. My Masha needs to go back to Petersburg after visa interview so, if the appointment is at 8am, what is the longest the interview process may take? Thank you. :wacko:

Natasha's appointment was also at 8, and she was done around 10:30. Just our experience, though!

------------------K1 Timeline------------------

05 Jul 2007: Mailed I129F petition

06 Jul 2007: CSC received petition

09 Jul 2007: NOA-1 Issued

10 Jul 2007: My check clears the bank

13 Jul 2007: I receive NOA-1 in the US Mail

19 Nov 2007: Touched

19 Nov 2007: USCIS website shows APPROVED

23 Nov 2007: I receive NOA-2 in the US Mail

12 Dec 2007: NVC receives petition

14 Dec 2007: NVC ships petition to Moscow embassy

19 Dec 2007: Moscow embassy receives petition

26 Feb 2008: Interview at Moscow embassy

13 Mar 2008: Received visa

18 Mar 2008: POE in Atlanta

09 May 2008: Wedding

-----------------AOS Timeline------------------

16 Jun 2008: Submittal for AOS

23 Jun 2008: NOA1 for AOS (I485, I765, I131)

24 Jun 2008: AOS checks cashed

15 Jul 2008: Biometrics appointment

04 Sep 2008: Received I-485 Interview letter

05 Sep 2008: AP/EAD Approved

08 Sep 2008: AP/EAD Received

29 Sep 2008: I-485 Interview (I-551 Stamp received)

07 Oct 2008: Green cards received

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't want to start a new topic. Let me just tell you what the situation is. My Masha needs to go back to Petersburg after visa interview so, if the appointment is at 8am, what is the longest the interview process may take? Thank you. :wacko:

Natasha's appointment was also at 8, and she was done around 10:30. Just our experience, though!

Our experience was the same as KGSodie's.

--- AOS Timeline ---

07/22/08 --- Mailed AOS packet to Chicago

07/25/08 --- NOA for I-131, I-485, and I-765

08/27/08 --- Biometrics

10/01/08 --- AP received

10/14/08 --- EAD received

11/13/08 --- Notice of transfer to CSC

02/09/09 --- Permanent Resident Card Ordered Notice

02/09/09 --- 2 Yr Permanent Resident Card Received

--- Lifting Conditions ---

11/10/10 --- Mailed I-751 packet to VSC

11/12/10 --- NOA1

12/22/10 --- Biometrics

03/15/11 --- RFE

05/10/11 --- Approved

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

If you read my interview post, you know my wife arrived late for her appointment. Her interview time was 8 am (like everyone's). She got to the interview area of the embassy at 10:30 am and there were still a few people waiting.

So...I'd say the latest interviews might go to 11:30 am or so. Remember, some interviews last 5 minutes and some up to an hour (though this would be rare).

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

My Alla was in the same boat. Done around 10.30.

Jeffery AND Alla.

0 kilometers physically separates us!

K-1 Visa Granted... Wednesday, 21 May 2008

Alla ARRIVED to America... Wednesday, 12 November 2008

russia_a.gif Алла и Джеффри USA_a.gif

AllaAndJeffery.PNG

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Russia
Timeline

when they saw my english was good,he seemed relieved and happy..so i think knowing english helps..but i also saw many people here passing interview without speaking much english..should be ok as long as you can prove you can comunicate with each other...

Timeline

My first fiancee had the interview from h*ll and was told the interview could be in Russian or English but if she elected Russian she would be refused the visa. This was unusual and that CO is long gone as far as I know but I will mention this in passing.

My two cents worth on this is that if she only speaks Russian during the interview it "can" raise the question of if the two of you have the ability to communicate well enough to have a real relationship. How much of a factor this can be depends on the C.O. you draw. I have heard of women grilled pretty intensively about how they commuicate but I have also heard of gals flying right through without knowing a word of English. My suggestion is that if the fiancee knows any English throwing out a few words can do more good than harm.

Both my first fiancee's and my wife's interview in Moscow finished up about 10:30. There were gals left in there both times but I think you can be fairly safe with the thought she will be done in the morning, maybe 11:30 for the latest.

12/14/2006 Applied for K-1 with request for Waver for Multiple filings within 2 years.
Waiting - Waiting - Waiting
3/6 Called NVC file sent to Washington for "Administrative Review" Told to call back every few weeks. 7/6 Called NVC, A/R is finished, case on way to Moscow. YAHOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
7/13 On Friday the 13th we see updated Moscow website with our interview on 9/11 (Hope we are not supersticious) 9/11 Visa Approved. Yahoo.
10/12 Tickets for her to America. I am flying to JFK to meet her there. 12/15/07 We are married. One year and a day after filling original K-1
12/27 Filed for AOS, EAD & AP 1/3 Received all three NOA-1's 1/22 Biometrics 2/27 EAD & AP received 4/12 Interview
5/19/08 RFE for physical that she should not have needed. 5/28 New physical ($ 250.00 wasted) 6/23 Green Card received
4/22/10 Filed for Removal of Contitions. 6/25 10 Year Green Card received Nov, 2014 Citizenship ceremony. Our journey is complete.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Russia
Timeline

Sorry to hear that she had that bad experience. Maybe that CO woke up on the wrong side of somebody else's bed. If they are gone, then that is a good thing. These ladies do not need any more undue stress! Anyway, after sending my SO these responses and also getting a call from our attorney (and this is one of the very reasons I hired one...fiancee support!), she feels she is confident and ready. Her and her daughter have been practicing the questions/responses in English. She is going to start in English and only switch to Russian if an answer needs clarification. She is going to be great! It is next week!! OMG, it has been a long time coming! (well..it felt like it anyway :) )

Mark and Lada

Charlotte/Volgograd

US/Russia

Event Date

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

US Entry : 2008-07-15

Marriage : 2008-08-31

I-485 Filed 10-16/2008

I-485 Approved 1-11-2009

I-751 Filed for K2 8-2-2010

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
If they are gone, then that is a good thing. These ladies do not need any more undue stress!

Considering the number of failures I'd say that the COs should be more inquisitive - they'd save time, money, and heartache for many involved in this pursuit who choose to marry virtual strangers after a few days of face time together.

08.24.06 - I-129F sent to VSC

08.30.06 - NOA1

09.01.06 - NOA1 snail mail

09.09.06 - touched

09.15.06 - NAO2 approval via email

09.19.06 - NVC receives package

09.20.06 - NAO2 snail mail

09.26.06 - NVC mails package to US Embassy in Moscow

10.03.06 - Consolate receives package

10.17.06 - Interview prep package received by fiancee

12.12.06 - Approved!

12.16.06 - Picked up visa from DHL office in Moscow

12.20.06 - POE JFK, just in time for the holidays...

02.10.07 - Married, viva Las Vegas!

04.02.07 - AOS mailed

04.10.07 - AOS NAO1 received

05.03.07 - Biometrics @ Varick St., Manhattan

06.05.07 - Request to Appear for Initial Interview received (interview date: July 31)

06.25.07 - EAD card received

06.28.07 - AP document received (thanks for nothin', she'll have her green card before her travel date!)

07.31.07 - Initial interview a breeze!

08.13.07 - Green card arrives in the mail

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Russia
Timeline

While I agree with that statement, I was simply referring to unnecessary abusive, condescending, or general poor treatment. I would think that the obvious non-legit applicants tend to stand out.

Mark and Lada

Charlotte/Volgograd

US/Russia

Event Date

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

US Entry : 2008-07-15

Marriage : 2008-08-31

I-485 Filed 10-16/2008

I-485 Approved 1-11-2009

I-751 Filed for K2 8-2-2010

If they are gone, then that is a good thing. These ladies do not need any more undue stress!

Considering the number of failures I'd say that the COs should be more inquisitive - they'd save time, money, and heartache for many involved in this pursuit who choose to marry virtual strangers after a few days of face time together.

I disagree. The C/O's main purpose is to ascertain if the petitioner and beneficiary are complying with the law in terms of getting the visa applied for. They're not there to be the "marriage police" or screen for possible marital problems down the road.

And truthfully, if they were, then none of us would've gotten a visa because marrying someone from a foreign country that you barely know has all the makings of disaster. So does marrying someone from right next door. Over half the marriages in the U.S. end in divorce so strictly speaking, they could deny everyone!

All they need to do is simply check the appropriate box - "Beneficiary and Petitioner are in compliance with the laws" _____ YES ______ NO

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Timeline
While I agree with that statement, I was simply referring to unnecessary abusive, condescending, or general poor treatment. I would think that the obvious non-legit applicants tend to stand out.

Funny enough, my wife had nothing but praise for the American employees at the Moscow embassy, particularly her CO. It was the Russian employees who checked to make sure all the applicants had their docs in order prior to their interviews who treated everyone shabbily.

08.30.06 - NOA1

09.09.06 - touched

12.12.06 - Approved!

04.02.07 - AOS mailed

06.05.07 - Request to Appear for Initial Interview received (interview date: July 31)

06.28.07 - AP document received (thanks for nothin', she'll have her green card before her travel date!)

Timeline
I disagree. The C/O's main purpose is to ascertain if the petitioner and beneficiary are complying with the law in terms of getting the visa applied for. They're not there to be the "marriage police" or screen for possible marital problems down the road.

Then why do the COs ask questions like "what is your husband's profession?" or "what is your fiance's father's name?" when all that proof is documented within the petition that sits on his desk during the interview? It seems they do have a role - albeit very limited - in determining that there is a basis for a relationship beyond vacation photos together, emails, and copies of boarding passes. Or am I incorrect?

And truthfully, if they were, then none of us would've gotten a visa because marrying someone from a foreign country that you barely know has all the makings of disaster. So does marrying someone from right next door. Over half the marriages in the U.S. end in divorce so strictly speaking, they could deny everyone!

There's a difference between marrying someone you've never spent more than two weeks at a time with and marrying a complete stranger. I know guys who've used marriage agencies and caved under pressure from the agency owner who insisted that it's perfectly appropriate - indeed expected - for an American to propose to one of his girls after spending 3-4 days together, despite the fact that she can't speak a word of English :whistle: I'd be willing to bet that the standard 50% divorce rate nearly doubles under such circumstances.

08.30.06 - NOA1

09.09.06 - touched

12.12.06 - Approved!

04.02.07 - AOS mailed

Timeline

I agree with slim, to a point.

They need to ask questions to find out if 2 people actually know each other, simply because scammers (i.e. people who are planning to break the law) would be less concerned about this.

I do not think the CO should give 2 rat's a$$'s about love, because love doesn't have to have anything to do with marriage. At least as far as the law is concerned. Some do, as was the case at the time my wife interviewed. She was asked lots of questions pertaining to 'love', as were the other girls interviewed around that time frame.

You never know what you are going to get really. Your best information source when preparing for an upcoming interview is someone who very recently had the interview.

K1 Visa Process long ago and far away...

02/09/06 - NOA1 date

12/17/06 - Married!

AOS Process a fading memory...

01/31/07 - Mailed AOS/EAD package for Olga and Anya

06/01/07 - Green card arrived in mail

Removing Conditions

03/02/09 - Mailed I-751 package (CSC)

03/06/09 - Check cashed

03/10/09 - Recieved Olga's NOA1

03/28/09 - Olga did biometrics

05/11/09 - Anya recieved NOA1 (took a call to USCIS to take care of it, oddly, they were helpful)

Timeline

Svetlana is an English teacher and knows the language very well.

But I suggested to her that she first show the interviewer how well she can communicate in English . . . but then insist that the interview be done in Russian. This is the most important interview of her life, and there can be zero margin of error for a simple misunderstanding or a slight hesitation in answering a question. Her answers should be quick and confident, and the best way to ensure this is to have it done in Russian.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.