sabon

From CR1 to IR1 to Citizenship?

6 posts in this topic

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

My husband is here on a K3 visa - I don't remember the whole process, but we were very fortunate, as it only took 3 months from start to finish. We applied at the Moroccan consulate (we'd been married for six months when we applied), he was interviewed a month later, and the visa came two months after that. I know that his visa is conditional until he has been here for two years (or is it until we've been married for two years), since we'd been married for less than two years at the time he received the visa.

Phew.

Anyhow, my question is - once I file the I-751 and it is granted, is it five MORE years of residency until he can apply for citizenship? Or is it three after that? How can I find out more information?

Thanks!

sabon

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

If applying on the basis of the 3/3/3 rule then it is the later of 3 years of marriage, 3 years of being a permanent resident or 3 years of the spouse being a USC. For most it is the 3 year date of being a permanent resident (the date of the first greencard was issued not any subsequent one) otherwise it is after 5 years of being a permanent resident

Edited by fwaguy

YMMV

My husband is here on a K3 visa - I don't remember the whole process, but we were very fortunate, as it only took 3 months from start to finish. We applied at the Moroccan consulate (we'd been married for six months when we applied), he was interviewed a month later, and the visa came two months after that. I know that his visa is conditional until he has been here for two years (or is it until we've been married for two years), since we'd been married for less than two years at the time he received the visa.

Phew.

Anyhow, my question is - once I file the I-751 and it is granted, is it five MORE years of residency until he can apply for citizenship? Or is it three after that? How can I find out more information?

Thanks!

sabon

You're missing a major step. If he's here on a K-3, then you should either have filed for the green card (I-485) or he'll have to return to Morocco when his CR-1 is scheduled there and be interviewed and re-enter on a CR-1 visa. I believe you can choose to do either.

He can apply for citizenship three years minus 90 days from the time he becomes a permanent resident (I-485 granted or enters on a CR-1 visa).

As for finding out more information, there's a tab called "Guides" at the top of this website.

Bethany (NJ, USA) & Gareth (Scotland, UK)

-----------------------------------------------

01 Nov 2007: N-400 FedEx'd to TSC

05 Nov 2007: NOA-1 Date

28 Dec 2007: Check cashed

05 Jan 2008: NOA-1 Received

02 Feb 2008: Biometrics notice received

23 Feb 2008: Biometrics at Albuquerque ASC

12 Jun 2008: Interview letter received

12 Aug 2008: Interview at Albuquerque DO--PASSED!

15 Aug 2008: Oath Ceremony

-----------------------------------------------

Any information, opinions, etc., given by me are based entirely on personal experience, observations, research common sense, and an insanely accurate memory; and are not in any way meant to constitute (1) legal advice nor (2) the official policies/advice of my employer.

Timeline

Phew.

Thanks!

sabon

You're missing a major step. If he's here on a K-3, then you should either have filed for the green card (I-485) or he'll have to return to Morocco when his CR-1 is scheduled there and be interviewed and re-enter on a CR-1 visa. I believe you can choose to do either.

He can apply for citizenship three years minus 90 days from the time he becomes a permanent resident (I-485 granted or enters on a CR-1 visa).

As for finding out more information, there's a tab called "Guides" at the top of this website.

Sorry, let me clarify. He got his permanent resident card in August of 07. I'm new to the forum and have paid less attention to all the terminology than I should have!

So, if he entered on a K-3 or CR-1 (I have no idea what it was, but I know it's 2 years conditional because we'd been married for less than two years), but got his permanent resident card right away, it's still 3 years from the date of the perm. resident card?

Timeline

Phew.

Thanks!

sabon

Sorry, let me clarify. He got his permanent resident card in August of 07. I'm new to the forum and have paid less attention to all the terminology than I should have!

His was a CR-1 visa, I just checked. We did Direct Consular Filing. So, with the 2-year condition in mind, it's still only 3 years minus 90 days?

Phew.

Thanks!

sabon

His was a CR-1 visa, I just checked. We did Direct Consular Filing. So, with the 2-year condition in mind, it's still only 3 years minus 90 days?

!

Yep! From the date on his Green card unless you die or divorce. Then I think it's 5 years.

K1 denied, K3/K4, CR-1/CR-2, AOS, ROC, Adoption, US citizenship and dual citizenship

!! ALL PAU!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.