Danyel y Miguel

question about ds-230 documents..

10 posts in this topic

ok so im a little confused and hopefully you guys can help me with this. i was reading about what documents im going to have to send to NV C with the ds-230. all the paperwork im sending is his correct? (the beneficiary) so i need to send HIS original birth certificate and etc? and this is what im confused about.... i thought that the police records and birth certificate were supposed to be things we brought to the interview not sent to the nvc?

could someone please clarify if im going to need him to get the police clearence for nvc or for embassy? because i thought that was something we'd be bringing to the interview.

My Timeline

USCIS

11/23/2007 - Married in Venezuela

02/07/08 - I-130 Sent

02/09/08 - recieved in Chicago at 10:09pm by R Mercedo

02/21/08 - I-130 NOA1

02/25/08 - Case Entered Online

06/13/08 - Case Approved

NVC

Case Recieved at NVC - 6/24/08

Case Number assigned - 6/24/08

Received DS-3032 / I-864 Bill - 6/30/08

Paid AOS - 07/03/08

AOS Bill Accepted - 07/04/08

Sent DS-3032 (usps) - 07/12/08

Sent I-864 - 7/12/08

NVC Recieved AOS & DS3032 - 07/14/08

IV Bill Paid - 07/17/08

DS-230 Sent - 07/26/08

DS-230 Entered Into System - 07/29/08

Case Complete - 08/06/2008

VISA APPROVED- 09/04/2008

.png

Filed: Timeline

I have the same question so don't feel bad asking. I assume it is the benificiary's information because they had to choose us/someone to represent them. What bugs me is that I sent all of this stuff with the I-130 to uscis and can't understand why we have to send it again to NVC. Don't they forward it to each other? So annoying!

I have the same question so don't feel bad asking. I assume it is the benificiary's information because they had to choose us/someone to represent them. What bugs me is that I sent all of this stuff with the I-130 to uscis and can't understand why we have to send it again to NVC. Don't they forward it to each other? So annoying!

what i dont understand is how im supposed to have him get the police clearance and birth certificates to me to send to nvc and then go get the police clearance AGAIN to bring to the interview!

My Timeline

USCIS

11/23/2007 - Married in Venezuela

02/07/08 - I-130 Sent

02/09/08 - recieved in Chicago at 10:09pm by R Mercedo

02/21/08 - I-130 NOA1

02/25/08 - Case Entered Online

06/13/08 - Case Approved

NVC

Case Recieved at NVC - 6/24/08

Case Number assigned - 6/24/08

Received DS-3032 / I-864 Bill - 6/30/08

Paid AOS - 07/03/08

AOS Bill Accepted - 07/04/08

Sent DS-3032 (usps) - 07/12/08

Sent I-864 - 7/12/08

NVC Recieved AOS & DS3032 - 07/14/08

IV Bill Paid - 07/17/08

DS-230 Sent - 07/26/08

DS-230 Entered Into System - 07/29/08

Case Complete - 08/06/2008

VISA APPROVED- 09/04/2008

.png

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

you send all the originals to NVC...NVC is suppose to forwarded it to the embassy for your interview...its good to have certified copies of everything you send to NVC just in case it gets lost when they forward it to your embassy which is why they say to bring those documents with you as well....

NVC Journey Total days: 75

04.09.2008: Case# assigned

05.12.2008: DS230 Entered into System

06.18.2008: Case Complete (So upset that it took this long 37days)

US Embassy:

10.29.2008: Interview Date Assigned

11.17.2008: Medical Appointment

12.03.2008: Interview Date (FINALLY!!!)**APPROVED**

12.08.2008: Visa Delivered

12.21.2008: POE JFK

As far as i know NVC are a different entity and have set requirements for the visa ...silly i know cause it's the same for me sinc ei am the UK ad ny husband is USC so i have to send my original certs...birth , marriage , divorce decree and police cert i have to get from UK so im ordering 2 one for the interview and 1 for me t take incase NVC lose anything ...costly and a lot of hassle for us folks ! however it is a requirement and i guess we just have to do it.

I have 2 of each documents except my divorce decree which im gonna get from the courthouse here in UK then i will be all set for when i need to send off my docs to my husband in US so he can forward to NVC.

Also remember to send passport style photos of each person moving with you and a set of copies of all the documents they ask for along with the originals.

hope this help make things clearer :)

Still waiting my approval from Vermont the Balck Hole !!!!

Michelle

what i dont understand is how im supposed to have him get the police clearance and birth certificates to me to send to nvc and then go get the police clearance AGAIN to bring to the interview!

You should order 2 police certificates when u apply for it that way u have 2 ...i guess they are valid for a year so no need to get police clearance twice just get it done in one go.

Michelle

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

There seems to be some confusion here.

First, to answer your question, the information they are requesting relates to the beneficiary, you are correct.

All of this stuff should not have been sent with the I-130, as someone mentioned, while a couple of the items are duplicated in the DS-230 submission (like the marriage certificate), the birth certificate that was sent with the I-130 is the petitioner's - to prove citizenship, the birth certificate sent with the DS-230 is the beneficiaries.

That said, these items do go to the NVC, not with you to the interview. The confusion may be that there are two kinds of embassy posts:

Appointment processing post:

NVC collects all the documents for the embassy and they schedule the interview based on the number of interview slots available for that location. NVC forwards all the paperwork (including the civil documents) to the interviewing post.

Standard processing post:

Only a few documents are sent to NVC, the bulk of the documents are presented at the interview. Most posts are appointment posts now, so this is becoming quite rare.

You can find out which one your interviewing embassy is by checking here - it will be stated at the top of the page for your embassy, above the instructions for NVC.

Also, there is generally no requirement to get duplicates of each civil document. This is folklore on VJ. The NVC will send the civil documents to the embassy and the embassy will return them to you at the interview (everything except the police certificate, they keep that).

Now, that doesn't always happen, some VJ'ers have not received the documents back - so if you don't necessarily expect to get them back, you won't be disappointed :)

Should you have a back up original of each civil document with you at the interview? - well if it makes you more comfortable - sure - but it is certainly not a requirement for the majority of embassies that I am aware of.

Edited by trailmix

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

It actually IS a requirement for some embassies that you bring a complete set of original/certified documents to the interview. You send one set to NVC, and bring a second to the interview. I know this is the case in Brazil.

There seems to be some confusion here.

First, to answer your question, the information they are requesting relates to the beneficiary, you are correct.

All of this stuff should not have been sent with the I-130, as someone mentioned, while a couple of the items are duplicated in the DS-230 submission (like the marriage certificate), the birth certificate that was sent with the I-130 is the petitioner's - to prove citizenship, the birth certificate sent with the DS-230 is the beneficiaries.

That said, these items do go to the NVC, not with you to the interview. The confusion may be that there are two kinds of embassy posts:

Appointment processing post:

NVC collects all the documents for the embassy and they schedule the interview based on the number of interview slots available for that location. NVC forwards all the paperwork (including the civil documents) to the interviewing post.

Standard processing post:

Only a few documents are sent to NVC, the bulk of the documents are presented at the interview. Most posts are appointment posts now, so this is becoming quite rare.

You can find out which one your interviewing embassy is by checking here - it will be stated at the top of the page for your embassy, above the instructions for NVC.

Also, there is generally no requirement to get duplicates of each civil document. This is folklore on VJ. The NVC will send the civil documents to the embassy and the embassy will return them to you at the interview (everything except the police certificate, they keep that).

Now, that doesn't always happen, some VJ'ers have not received the documents back - so if you don't necessarily expect to get them back, you won't be disappointed :)

Should you have a back up original of each civil document with you at the interview? - well if it makes you more comfortable - sure - but it is certainly not a requirement for the majority of embassies that I am aware of.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
It actually IS a requirement for some embassies that you bring a complete set of original/certified documents to the interview. You send one set to NVC, and bring a second to the interview. I know this is the case in Brazil.

Well that's good to know Rodrigues - specific information on a specific embassy. That was kind of my point, unless the embassy actually requests that you bring all the documents you have already sent, or you have first hand information from someone who has interviewed at the embassy and it was requested but not necessarily documented in the interview letter (does that happen?) - then you do not need to get 2 sets, unless you want to.

I just think it's important to note that all embassies are different and not EVERYONE needs to go to the expense of getting 2 copies of everything.

Edited by trailmix

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.