landp

Continuing Education in the States from Morocco

11 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Timeline

Salams everyone,

I have been trying to figure this out, with no luck. My husband completed his four-year degree in Morocco. Now he wants to look into grad school, but I told him he'd have to take some type of equivalency exam first to have his degree "recognized" by the US educational system. Does anyone have any experience with this?

thanks everyone.

prena

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

I think it really depends on the school. My husband had his degree evaluated by Educational Credential Evaluators for accounting licencing. His degree now is equivilant to a US BBA in Accounting. But, we only chose that because the CPA people said that was what they take.

Call the schools he's interested in and get the specifics of what they require straight from the horse's mouth.

10/14/05 - married AbuS in the US lovehusband.gif

02/23/08 - Filed for removal of conditions.

Sometime in 2008 - Received 10 year GC. Almost done with USCIS for life inshaAllah! Huzzah!

12/07/08 - Adopted the fuzzy feline love of my life, my Squeaky baby th_catcrazy.gif

02/23/09 - Apply for citizenship

06/15/09 - Citizenship interview

07/15/09 - Citizenship ceremony. Alhamdulilah, the US now has another american muslim!

irhal.jpg

online rihla - on the path of the Beloved with a fat cat as a copilot

These comments, information and photos may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere without express written permission from UmmSqueakster.

Prena,

First look at the schools he is interested in going to and see what evaluation services they will recognize. They don't necessarily recognize them all. WES is the commonly accepted one around here. Remember that the evaluation is only a recommendation, and the school may or may not recognize all the credits.

If your husband went to a public university in Morocco, the chances of his degree being recognized are slimmer. Most degrees from public universities in Morocco require classes ONLY in the field they are studying, where as US undergrad degrees require a variety of electives and general education classes.

My husband has a law degree. If he decides to pursue something like paralegal or criminal justice, the schools have said they would give him a few credits, but nothing more. If he chooses another program of study, he will be starting from scratch. Hopefully Aziz's degree is in something more practical than law for use in the US.

Another you can do is look into CLEP. Most of the colleges here will accept at least some CLEP credits. Abderrafie is talking about doing this in French and perhaps math (his math skills are good). The tests are only $55 and this is much cheaper than the price of three credits at any college. Again, acceptance of CLEP credits depends on the college (how many and which they will accept) and some require you to be already enrolled before taking the CLEP exams.

Rebecca

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

Rebecca,

What's CLEP? I'm also wondering what we can do w/ Said's training here in the US... I have to look further into it, but just didn't have any concept of what CLEP is.... thanks in advance...

Noura

Met briefly in Baton Rouge, LA Nov. 2003 - not available :(

Met again in Baton Rouge, LA March 25, 2005 - 2 souls feel as 1

Sept 17-Oct 3, 2005 Noura goes to Morocco to meet family & friends of Said (informally engaged)

Daily phonecalls, discover internet chatting w/ video cam - OMG!!!

March 25-April 14, 2006 Noura's 2nd trip to Morocco - formal engagement w/ family

April 24, 2006- mailed in K1 Visa package - TSC

Oct 5, 2006 - Interview SUCCESS

Oct 12, 2006 - Called to pick up visa tomorrow!

Oct. 16, 2006 VISA IN HAND!

Dec. 24, 2006 - Said arrives in NOLA, just in time for the holidaze!

Dec. 31, 2006 - OUR WEDDING!!! Ringing in a New Year as husband & wife!

Jan 8, 2007 - applied for SSN

Jan 15, 2007 - recieved SSN

Feb 6, 2007 - checks cashed for AOS/EAD/AP - YAY!

Feb 8, 2007 - NOA1 on AOS/EAD/AP

Feb 14, 07 - touched EAD/AP

March 8, 07 - Biometrics appt in NOLA

April 17, 07 - AP approved

April 19, 07 - EAD approved

glitter_maker_12_25_2006_00_00_12_97213.gif

Timeline
Noura CLEP is College-Level Examination Program.

Ahhhh.... choukrane habibty!!! :P

Sept 17-Oct 3, 2005 Noura goes to Morocco to meet family & friends of Said (informally engaged)

March 25-April 14, 2006 Noura's 2nd trip to Morocco - formal engagement w/ family

Filed: Other Timeline

Thanks for the information everyone this is really helpful. thakns

Thanks for the information everyone this is really helpful. thakns

Sorry, cut this too short. I will keep you all posted. My husband wants to teach or work as a translator, although that's a bit broad. I'm keepign my ears open for a Government job as well, something out of Washington. I just want him to have a career not a job - he works really hard in school.

We'll see.

thanks again ladies.

prena

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Your husband can get loans, grants, etc. if he waits until he has his green card before applying to go to school. Hicham has been talking with one of the entrance counselors at the local community college and they said the main thing to make it easy was to have it.

Twila

OUR VISA JOURNEY

02/24/05 - Mailed K-1 to TSC

03/18/05 - K-1 Approval from CSC

06/16/05 - K-1 Interview in Casablanca, Morocco

06/29/05 - K-1 Visa issued

07/07/05 - SO arrives in US

07/22/05 - Married in religious ceremony and reception with family & friends

07/25/05 - Married in civil ceremony

09/14/05 - Mailed AOS/EAD

12/28/05 - AOS/EAD biometrics in West Palm Beach

01/03/06 - EAD card arrives

03/08/06 - AOS interview and AOS approval in West Palm Beach

03/13/06 - Welcome to America letter arrives

03/18/06 - Green card arrives in mail

12/10/07 - I-751 mailed to TSC

12/26/07 - NOA receipt date (from transfer to VSC)

02/14/08 - Biometrics appointment

10/17/08 - Approval date

10/24/08 - Approval letter received

10/25/08 - 10 year green card arrived

10/06/09 - N-400 mailed to Texas Lockbox

10/08/09 - NOA priority date

11/06/09 - Biometrics

01/04/10 - Interview

01/13/10 - Oath Ceremony

Bx82m5.png

Timeline
Translating jobs are great once your SO has a good grasp on English :)

What is required of someone for a translating job (ie: degree, certification, experience, or just fluency?) here in the states? or where can I find that information?

Also, does anyone know abt a fluent foreigner teaching language classes anywhere? What is required? and again... where can I find that info, if no one knows firsthand?

Lastly (for now), what does anyone know abt Int'l drivers license being used in USA? how/when do they need to get US license? Said is a good driver, he just needs to know the specifics of our laws.

Thanks for any info ladies (& gents)!

Noura :luv:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.