#CHE4CH#

K3 Or CR-1?

6 posts in this topic

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

HeLLo everyone!

a little bit confused like other's I would like to know what's the difference between filing a k3 than CR-1? which is more convinient and more wise thing to do?

Anyone will help me to clarify this...

Thanks a lot and GOd Bless you all!

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline
HeLLo everyone!

a little bit confused like other's I would like to know what's the difference between filing a k3 than CR-1? which is more convinient and more wise thing to do?

With a K-3 there is what's called an adjustment of status (AOS) once your Wife gets to America. She must wait for the green card. With a CR-1 she would get a stamp upon arrival that would allow her to work. Plus the fees associated with th AOS do not apply. You also don't need to mess with the I-129. Only the I-130. There may be some other differences, but I think those are the main ones. It takes a little longer, but the paperwork goes through the Nation Visa Center (NVC) after it goes through either California or Vermont. The NVC is now accepting online payments also. It seems to be speeding up the process.

Edited by WideAwakeInTheUSA

HeLLo everyone!

With a K-3 there is what's called an adjustment of status (AOS) once your Wife gets to America. She must wait for the green card. With a CR-1 she would get a stamp upon arrival that would allow her to work. Plus the fees associated with th AOS do not apply. There may be some other differences, but I think those are the main ones.

The way things are at this time. The CR-1 [immigrant visa]is a MUCH< MUCH better visa in the long run. If the paperwork at NVC is handled efficently there isn't much of a time difference

between the 2. Cost for CR-1 is cheaper.

Also CRs get their GCs and SS cards in the mail shortly after arrival allowing CRs having the ability to work a LOT sooner which =s more dough.

K3s [non-immigrant] having to to adjust status can be a b!tch. Some K3s are still waiting for their GCs after a year+.

Edited by Haole

K1 denied, K3/K4, CR-1/CR-2, AOS, ROC, Adoption, US citizenship and dual citizenship

!! ALL PAU!

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Thank for the messages, Our 130 and i-29f are both approved and We had our MNL case number both for our 130 and 129F and I just got an e-mail from NVC stating to pay $70 for the form of 1864...

We still confused if we will take the route of K3 or CR-1...

HeLLo everyone!

With a K-3 there is what's called an adjustment of status (AOS) once your Wife gets to America. She must wait for the green card. With a CR-1 she would get a stamp upon arrival that would allow her to work. Plus the fees associated with th AOS do not apply. You also don't need to mess with the I-129. Only the I-130. There may be some other differences, but I think those are the main ones. It takes a little longer, but the paperwork goes through the Nation Visa Center (NVC) after it goes through either California or Vermont. The NVC is now accepting online payments also. It seems to be speeding up the process.

HeLLo everyone!

I will share some posts that i read before, hope this will helps.

"I-130 by itself will result in a CR-1 IMMIGRANT Green-card visa. To do K-3 you file I-130 first, then wait for USCIS receipt letter and then file I-129F along with copy of I-130 NOA1 letter to start K-3 visa process. 130 is for immigrant visa, 129F is for NON-Immigrant K-Visas. Note: for most countries, the I-130 CR-1 process is not taking much longer than K-3 visa. CR-1 has the advantage of a green-card upon entry, which allows WORK, getting SSN, and even applying for a Driver's license. K-3 cannot do these things untill getting EAD or Green-card. EAD can take 90 days or more. So if the prospective immigrant wants to work, or drive, they will need to wait several months when entering on K-3, but CAN do these things imediatly when entering on CR-1. Also K-3 has the added costs."

GOODLUCK! :thumbs:

Our CR1 & CR2 Visa Timeline

USCIS

12/04/2007 : I-130 Sent to USCIS

01/29/2008 : NOA1

05/07/2008 : NOA2 (Approved)

NVC

05/14/2008 : NVC assigned MNL Case No.

05/26/2008 : NVC Generates AOS & IV Bill

06/02/2008 : Online Payment AOS & IV Bill

06/04/2008 : Printed I-864; DS-230 & Barcoded coversheet

06/12/2008 : Sent I-864 & DS-230 Packets to NVC via USPS (overnight)

06/13/2008 : NVC received the Packets

06/16/2008 : NVC entered the I-864 & DS-230 into the system

06/19/2008 : CR2 Case Completed while CR1 got RFE DS-230 #2 & #20

06/26/2008 : Sent the corrected RFE DS-230 to NVC via USPS (overnight)

06/27/2008 : NVC received the RFE DS-230 corrections

07/03/2008 : CASE COMPLETED!!!

USEM

08/13/2008 : Medical Exam PASSED!!! (Aug. 13, 14 & 15)

08/14/2008 : Received the hardcopy of the NVC Appointment Date

09/10/2008 : Interview PASSED! (Pink & White Slip due to DV)

09/26/2008 : Visa Received

10/12/2008 : Arrived to USA!!!

USA

10/12/2008 : POE Detroit

10/20/2008 : Received SSN

11/14/2008 : Received The Welcome Notice from Homeland (USCIS)

11/19/2008 : Received Green Card (11/30 got from old address mailbox)

ROC

09/03/2010 : Packet sent to USCIS

09/03/2010 : Received by USCIS

Matthew 6:34

"Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own"

The kids are wishing they'd gone for the CR 1. The advantage of the K-3 for them is that they probably won't need a co-sponsor for the I-134. They most likely wouldn't qualify for a CR 1 without a co-sponsor. The I-184 co-sponsorship is a much bigger commitment than the I-134 to request of anyone. With a K-3, which is good for two years, they could wait to file for AOS until they have proof of stable, adequate income and recent tax returns.

When they filed they thought the K-3 would be faster and they could be together sooner, which in hindsight is not necessarily true. They also were not even sure they wanted to live in the US. It would have been nice for her to be able to come on a visitor's visa until they figured that out, but a visitor's visa is almost impossible to get for spouses of US citizens in many countries. With the CR 1 you have to stay in the US at least six months out of the year or it can be pulled because the USCIS may think there is no immigrant intent. It's a real catch 22. With a K-3 you can come and go freely, but only for two years. To get it extended, apparently there has to be immigrant intent even though it is a non-immigrant visa.

They waited for 2 1/2 months to get an NOA 1 in order to file the I-129F. Now the CSC has apparently not sent the I-130 to the NVC, even though on the notice it says they will. The K-3 is definitely a lot more hassle and quite a bit more expensive, especially when you factor in not being able to work for three months. Some opt for the K-3 because minor children can easily follow to join the parents. For obvious reasons, the visa system for spouses of US citizens should be reformed. The reasons only seem obvious to those who are in the situation of being separated from their loved ones. Hindsight always seems to bring some clarity. I agree with John, in that spouses of US citizens should be treated like any one from a visa waiver country and allowed to come and go more freely. They are spouses of US citizens, why can't they come to the US without a big hassle? One immigration think tank recommended spouses of US citizens should not have to prove that they were returning to their own country to come visit. Keep writing your legislators.

HeLLo everyone!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.