CanGal

Temp. Green Card Expired

15 posts in this topic

Hello everyone. I have a quick question.... My temporary green card expired a few days ago .... my permanent is processing.... i went and had my biometrics done for it a little over a month ago. Now what do I do while I wait for the permanent one?? I don't officially have anything right now to say I'm legal other than the sheet that says i did go get the biometrics done.....

any input would be appreciated

CanGal

ticker.png

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

This is a removing conditions question not AOS.... I will move..

Your NOA for your I-751 application acts as an extention of your green card until your 10 yr card is issued.

YMMV

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
Your NOA for your I-751 application acts as an extention of your green card until your 10 yr card is issued.

Is the one year extension starting from the notice date or from the expiration of the GC?

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Is the one year extension starting from the notice date or from the expiration of the GC?

Look for the following wording on your I-797:

"Your conditional resident status is extended for a period of one year from date of expiration on your Form I-551, conditional resident card. During the one-year extension you are authorized employment and travel."

*Cheryl -- Nova Scotia ....... Jerry -- Oklahoma*

Jan 17, 2014 N-400 submitted

Jan 27, 2014 NOA received and cheque cashed

Feb 13, 2014 Biometrics scheduled

Nov 7, 2014 NOA received and interview scheduled

MAY IS NATIONAL STROKE AWARENESS MONTH
Educate Yourself on the Warning Signs of Stroke -- talk to me, I am a survivor!

"Life is as the little shadow that runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset" ---Crowfoot

The true measure of a society is how those who have treat those who don't.

Timeline

"Your conditional resident status is extended for a period of one year from date of expiration on your Form I-551, conditional resident card. During the one-year extension you are authorized employment and travel."

Thanks!

However, our NOA says, "Your conditional resident status is extended for a period of one year. During the one-year extension you are authorized employment and travel."

They must have changed it?

Timeline

Thanks!

However, our NOA says, "Your conditional resident status is extended for a period of one year. During the one-year extension you are authorized employment and travel."

huh. good question! I always assume the extension letter starts once the GC ends, you know?

"Life is as the little shadow that runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset" ---Crowfoot

Timeline

Thanks!

huh. good question! I always assume the extension letter starts once the GC ends, you know?

Makes sense. We filed late so there isn't much difference anyway. Hopefully we'll be approved before then so it will be a moot point anyway!

Edited by Jenn!

my I-797 does not say anything about Your conditional resident status is extended for a period of one year. During the one-year extension you are authorized employment and travel .... i do not have an extension letter.... all i have is my I-797 requesting bio-metric and it says the case type on it being my I-751 .... I have yet to recieve a notice on my petition other than the bio-met notice ....

ticker.png

Timeline

You might want to make an INFOPASS at your local district office and get your passport stamped with the I-551 stamp. This will cover you until you get your extension letter or you get approved.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

How long ago did you submit your I-751? From mid February to about the end of May TSC was not mailing out the NOA extension letters so many of us who filed in that time period never received them. Make an INFOPASS for your local USCIS office ( http://www.uscis.gov - INFOPASS appointment link is on the right hand side), bring your unexpired passport, your expired greencard and your biometrics receipt. They will put an I-551 stamp in your passport that takes the place of your greencard for one year. If your 10 year greencard hasn't been processed within a year, you can get the stamp renewed. It is really easy - the USCIS offices know all about TSC's failure to issue the NOAs and have no problem giving the stamp in its place.

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

I mailed it out first week of april so i guess i fall under that category. How do I set up and infopass appt? kind of annoying, the gov't that is... lol gas is getting more and more expensive and they think we can just drive ourselves all around the country for stamps because they don't mail out a letter.... i'm sorry, i'll stop being a baby... thanks everyone

ticker.png

Timeline

I know, it is frustrating that we have to take extra actions and spend extra money cleaning up after their inefficiency. Anyway, to make an infopass appointment, go to the USCIS website http://www.uscis.gov . On the right hand side near the bottom there is a section that says 'HELP WITH'. Below that you will see 'schedule an appointment'. Click on that. A language choice page will open up - select your language of choice. You will then have more options: Make an Infopass appointment, Cancel your infopass appointment, or More information about Infopass. You can read more information first, if you like, but you want to 'make an Infopass appointment' so click on that. You will have a number of pages to fill in information on - the first being your zipcode so they can find the appropriate Field Office for your appointment. It will ask you why you want an appointment - select you need 'Information or Other Services". You should take you to a page where you can select appointment dates.

Good luck.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

Timeline

You will need your expired green card and your unexpired passport. You can also bring the biometrics letter but they didn't need that when I made my appointment. They looked up my file from the A# on my green card, then stamped my passport with the I-551 stamp. It was really painless - even easier than getting the biometrics:-). Good luck.

Edited by Kathryn41

Thank you for all the advice and the help... the appt is booked for monday so i'm hoping its all well.... memphis though, ugh lol thats 6 hrs away

ticker.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.