aj1

HAPPY TUESDAY!!

158 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Israel
Timeline
I need quick socialization help! Do you think they will entertain each other? or do i need to do something? I need to figure out where they will all sit and what they will eat and eat of of-- I literally have my sets for 2-4 more or less. I think I should be the odd one out for entertainment purposes.

And I HAVE to lose weight. Did I tell you about how I went over there and they all sat around and quite casually discussed whether I was thinner (yes) or fatter (no) than when we first met? I was so appalled! It was like 30 minutes or an hour of this conversation, and about 30 of them were involved. I will NOT have this conversation again!!

oh julianna how i can relate to you. the whole fatter or thinner obsession with outward physical appearance is such a focus in my husbands family. when i go there that will be the FIRST thing that is discussed. if they thought i was fatter they would do it behind my back. but thinner, they will do it to my face. and yes the whole table will be involved the men will sit and smoke and zone out and the women will all go at it....

as far as them entertaining, for my family i just let them make themselves at home, will plan a fun day here and there. you should NOT worry about place settings. either get a plastic plate and eat off of that temporarily or just use nice chinet paper plates for a while less to clean anyway... but dont not eat or not eat on a plate!

Did I tell you about how I went over there and they all sat around and quite casually discussed whether I was thinner (yes) or fatter (no) than when we first met? I was so appalled! It was like 30 minutes or an hour of this conversation, and about 30 of them were involved.

Any tips for entertaining family?

:blink: Ummmmm with a glass full of laxative-laden tea! :angry:

see my MIL and SILs would be happy with that, will make them lose more weight so they can win the thin thinner thinnest contest.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Country: Libya
Timeline
Did I tell you about how I went over there and they all sat around and quite casually discussed whether I was thinner (yes) or fatter (no) than when we first met? I was so appalled! It was like 30 minutes or an hour of this conversation, and about 30 of them were involved.

see my MIL and SILs would be happy with that, will make them lose more weight so they can win the thin thinner thinnest contest.

:rofl:

Muslimwoman-1-1.jpg

99GEAq-6owA

We need a Ramadan!! (part one)

VP's Blog

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline
I need quick socialization help! Do you think they will entertain each other? or do i need to do something? I need to figure out where they will all sit and what they will eat and eat of of-- I literally have my sets for 2-4 more or less. I think I should be the odd one out for entertainment purposes.

And I HAVE to lose weight. Did I tell you about how I went over there and they all sat around and quite casually discussed whether I was thinner (yes) or fatter (no) than when we first met? I was so appalled! It was like 30 minutes or an hour of this conversation, and about 30 of them were involved. I will NOT have this conversation again!!

oh julianna how i can relate to you. the whole fatter or thinner obsession with outward physical appearance is such a focus in my husbands family. when i go there that will be the FIRST thing that is discussed. if they thought i was fatter they would do it behind my back. but thinner, they will do it to my face. and yes the whole table will be involved the men will sit and smoke and zone out and the women will all go at it....

as far as them entertaining, for my family i just let them make themselves at home, will plan a fun day here and there. you should NOT worry about place settings. either get a plastic plate and eat off of that temporarily or just use nice chinet paper plates for a while less to clean anyway... but dont not eat or not eat on a plate!

Ha! his family is all older and the men are so thin... the girls are heavier but not beyond 30lbs overweight... mostly because they have had children and don't exercise and eat a lot :) This would be easier if his sister wasn't coming, as she will be the main critic of me I am sure... I watched them sit around and talk, literally, for hours about his brother's wife and how they found some dust on a windowsill in her house! Now, luckily, I do have him and he is a total neat freak and can get our house up to standard... but.. OMG. Dust on a windowsill. For real.

I think I need to think about lots of little dishes I can make. They will expect several kinds of food for the meal, but they each get their own plate... so it's only quasi-community eating. he thinks I know several good things to make.. and i do know some things.... but I am totally open for suggestions.

So how does it go when your inlaws visit? How do you prepare? I was just thinking I need to move the refrigerator and the stove to clean around them, but I have a gas stove and am afraid to move it because of the gas line.

None of my posts have ever been helpful. Be forewarned.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

I used bleach in the bathtub cos I was washing my mini blinds. Now im sick from the fumes. :help:

Julianna, just move it out a little at a time . When you feel tension, stop.

Don't just open your mouth and prove yourself a fool....put it in writing.

It gets harder the more you know. Because the more you find out, the uglier everything seems.

kodasmall3.jpg

Timeline
I used bleach in the bathtub cos I was washing my mini blinds. Now im sick from the fumes. :help:

Julianna, just move it out a little at a time . When you feel tension, stop.

OK. Do you think the gas line is copper/metal or plastic? I guess that will be the difference. I have a broiler pan. Maybe it would be better to try to figure out how to remove that bottom broiler drawer and clean under that.

I do that sometimes. One day I really hit everything with bleach and the smell was incredible.

Timeline

Im chemically sensitive so any little odor sends me in orbit. I would say it probably is some kind of metal. Can't you just push it out and to the side and get back in there? That's what I do, but I don't know the set up of your cook stove.

It gets harder the more you know. Because the more you find out, the uglier everything seems.

kodasmall3.jpg

Timeline
Im chemically sensitive so any little odor sends me in orbit. I would say it probably is some kind of metal. Can't you just push it out and to the side and get back in there? That's what I do, but I don't know the set up of your cook stove.

The whole stove? It's boxed in by counter on either side.

Timeline

Ha! his family is all older and the men are so thin... the girls are heavier but not beyond 30lbs overweight... mostly because they have had children and don't exercise and eat a lot :) This would be easier if his sister wasn't coming, as she will be the main critic of me I am sure... I watched them sit around and talk, literally, for hours about his brother's wife and how they found some dust on a windowsill in her house! Now, luckily, I do have him and he is a total neat freak and can get our house up to standard... but.. OMG. Dust on a windowsill. For real.

I think I need to think about lots of little dishes I can make. They will expect several kinds of food for the meal, but they each get their own plate... so it's only quasi-community eating. he thinks I know several good things to make.. and i do know some things.... but I am totally open for suggestions.

So how does it go when your inlaws visit? How do you prepare? I was just thinking I need to move the refrigerator and the stove to clean around them, but I have a gas stove and am afraid to move it because of the gas line.

i used to go nuts cleaning and then would clean and cook like nuts while they were there constantly butting heads with my MIL or being a martyr if it was just BILs and doing everything. after a few years of marriage I realized that was ridiculous now i dont do anything more than my normal day to day maintenance on the house and i let my MIL come and clean since she does it best. funny, now that i am not trying to cook and clean and she isnt butting heads with me she is much lazier and cleans less and is open to ordering takeout or going to restaurants. i will cook maybe twice for dinner when she is hear as a special thing and make something really fancy.

when it is just BILs no MIL i stopped rushing to clean dishes etc and now they do the dishes after dinner, i let my husband cook sometimes and i get takeout sometimes. i will make standard things for dinner, maybe once or twice something fancy. i realized that noone was going to give me a gold star for going crazy and a little extra effort is enough.

Timeline

The whole stove? It's boxed in by counter on either side.

Mine is boxed in by a counter and the washer. I just pull it out slowly and angle it to the right, clean, then to the left, and clean. If you could, get on your counter with a flashlight and have a look back there so you can see how long your cable is.

kodasmall3.jpg

Timeline
i used to go nuts cleaning and then would clean and cook like nuts while they were there constantly butting heads with my MIL or being a martyr if it was just BILs and doing everything. after a few years of marriage I realized that was ridiculous now i dont do anything more than my normal day to day maintenance on the house and i let my MIL come and clean since she does it best. funny, now that i am not trying to cook and clean and she isnt butting heads with me she is much lazier and cleans less and is open to ordering takeout or going to restaurants. i will cook maybe twice for dinner when she is hear as a special thing and make something really fancy.

when it is just BILs no MIL i stopped rushing to clean dishes etc and now they do the dishes after dinner, i let my husband cook sometimes and i get takeout sometimes. i will make standard things for dinner, maybe once or twice something fancy. i realized that noone was going to give me a gold star for going crazy and a little extra effort is enough.

Oh, they are a family of neat freaks. They rush around like that themselves. I know my husband sort of expects that on a daily basis! Every day is vaccuming day, vaccuming everything and every piece of furniture, and cleaning the tiles, and washing counters. Sigh.

I just figured I am giong to try to more or less get kind of a plan going and then try to stick to it to a certain extent... foods, etc. I do not like the idea of anyone touching my kitchen and I have a feeling that I am going to be swallowing a lot of territorial feelings.

I wish it were just the BILs because they wouldn't give two flips about most stuff.

Timeline
Mine is boxed in by a counter and the washer. I just pull it out slowly and angle it to the right, clean, then to the left, and clean. If you could, get on your counter with a flashlight and have a look back there so you can see how long your cable is.

I'll try that. I'll probably just vacuum behind it.

Timeline

My stove is very tiny ( apartment size ) so I just lean over it with a dust mop from time to time but I don't recommend that if you have large, well, let's just say a big chest. :blush:

kodasmall3.jpg

Timeline

Oh, they are a family of neat freaks. They rush around like that themselves. I know my husband sort of expects that on a daily basis! Every day is vaccuming day, vaccuming everything and every piece of furniture, and cleaning the tiles, and washing counters. Sigh.

I just figured I am giong to try to more or less get kind of a plan going and then try to stick to it to a certain extent... foods, etc. I do not like the idea of anyone touching my kitchen and I have a feeling that I am going to be swallowing a lot of territorial feelings.

I wish it were just the BILs because they wouldn't give two flips about most stuff.

see thats the thing, i would get territorial about the kitchen but MIL would insist, of course... so then i just at one point gave up and let her do EVERYTHING. cook, clean, go for it! i figured i would have the house back when she leaves. now when she comes she isnt as eager to cook and clean because in reality she doesnt like to work hard and does everything for show and she realized that the "thanks mom" she would get from my husband wasnt as great as the attention i would get from my husband whilst sitting on my a$$ while she cooks and cleans.

Timeline
see thats the thing, i would get territorial about the kitchen but MIL would insist, of course... so then i just at one point gave up and let her do EVERYTHING. cook, clean, go for it! i figured i would have the house back when she leaves. now when she comes she isnt as eager to cook and clean because in reality she doesnt like to work hard and does everything for show and she realized that the "thanks mom" she would get from my husband wasnt as great as the attention i would get from my husband whilst sitting on my a$$ while she cooks and cleans.

well, hopefully because it is a sister it wont be as bad as a mother... but we'll see. She _is_ over 20 years older than us. her oldest child and i are about the same age. I just hope they want to talk a lot and catch up or whatever. Does your Dh take time off and spend their visit with them? or were you ever having to entertain them alone?

Timeline

well, hopefully because it is a sister it wont be as bad as a mother... but we'll see. She _is_ over 20 years older than us. her oldest child and i are about the same age. I just hope they want to talk a lot and catch up or whatever. Does your Dh take time off and spend their visit with them? or were you ever having to entertain them alone?

we both work. my husband would bring his father and/or brothers to work with him and my mil would stay home and cook, clean, watch lifetime or spanish soap operas and lately she knows how to walk to a few local stores and take the bus to the city. we are at the point now where they just make themselve at home. before we met and they would visit my husband woudl take them everywhere ie vegas, orlando etc. glad he got that out of his system before i met him. we took them on vacation with us once to the caribbean and we have sent them on two cruises to the caribbean. i love it because they have fun and we get a break for a week

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.