jbmail

Please specify Notarized or Certified copies for us

9 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Greetings everyone,

I am putting together a K-1 package and took the advice listed on the guidelines to make duplicate packets and have all supporting evidence and records certified

When I went to bank, the president CERTIFIED that he was president and Notary stamped my letter of deposits and paperwork from bank records. I asked for 3 copies of everything and he certified that all copies were from original

My questions is this, do ALL copies of pertinent information that gets copied HAVE to be done this way. I have ONE package or mostly original stuff to submit, then two identical packages, one for Fiancee and one backup for myself

I am thinking of just taking ONE copy of everything down to a Notary and having her make 3 copies of each and notarize everything, give her $30 and be done in an hour, that way, my finace, my backup and everything i submit is notarized

I know this is probably overkill, but any reasons WHY I can't do it this way?

Thanks

JB

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
Greetings everyone,

I am putting together a K-1 package and took the advice listed on the guidelines to make duplicate packets and have all supporting evidence and records certified

When I went to bank, the president CERTIFIED that he was president and Notary stamped my letter of deposits and paperwork from bank records. I asked for 3 copies of everything and he certified that all copies were from original

My questions is this, do ALL copies of pertinent information that gets copied HAVE to be done this way. I have ONE package or mostly original stuff to submit, then two identical packages, one for Fiancee and one backup for myself

I am thinking of just taking ONE copy of everything down to a Notary and having her make 3 copies of each and notarize everything, give her $30 and be done in an hour, that way, my finace, my backup and everything i submit is notarized

Thanks

JB

Absolutely nothing submitted with the initial I-129F filing needs to be notarized.

Do not submit the bank letter at this time. That is a document to support the affidavit of support. You get that to your fiance(e) to carry to the Consulate or submit to them closer to the interview, as requested. You'll need a more current bank letter then, if at all. Lots of time to learn about that.

A "certified copy" is something you get from the State or County office. They've made a copy of the original they have on file and stamped the copy with an official seal of certification. Birth certificates and divorce decrees fall in this category.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline

Thanks for the quick reply. Sorry about the confusion. i knew about the bank papers, but brain cramp had me put everything in ONE post real quick tonight. Ok, so If I understand correctly, I ALWAYS send originals when possible and if i have to send ANY copies, as in copies of anything that doesn't have an INK signature, I need to certify that they are copies of an original. What if I send in COPIES of phone bills for proof of ongoig relationship, etc, copies of plane tickets, etc, shouldn't these be certified or notarized as being REAL?

Thanks for the quick reply, 8 hours od assembly and gathering and I'm ready for bed!

JB

Greetings everyone,

Thanks

JB

Absolutely nothing submitted with the initial I-129F filing needs to be notarized.

Do not submit the bank letter at this time. That is a document to support the affidavit of support. You get that to your fiance(e) to carry to the Consulate or submit to them closer to the interview, as requested. You'll need a more current bank letter then, if at all. Lots of time to learn about that.

A "certified copy" is something you get from the State or County office. They've made a copy of the original they have on file and stamped the copy with an official seal of certification. Birth certificates and divorce decrees fall in this category.

Don't send originals. For example, I had to send a copy of my certified birth certificate. The birth certificate is signed by the county clerk and has an embossed seal on it. I made a color copy of that for K1 petition. NOTHING is notarized with a real ink signature for this step of the process. You can include in your cover letter a statement like

"Copies of documents submitted are exact photocopies of unaltered documents and I understand that I may be required to submit original documents to an Immigration or Consular officer at a later date." That's from the sample cover letter in the guides.

(Your ink signature and date)

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Timeline
Don't send originals. For example, I had to send a copy of my certified birth certificate. The birth certificate is signed by the county clerk and has an embossed seal on it. I made a color copy of that for K1 petition. NOTHING is notarized with a real ink signature for this step of the process. You can include in your cover letter a statement like

"Copies of documents submitted are exact photocopies of unaltered documents and I understand that I may be required to submit original documents to an Immigration or Consular officer at a later date." That's from the sample cover letter in the guides.

The original documents are the petition, G325a's and letters of intent. Otherwise send photocopies. Even if the original is a "certified copy" send of photocopy of it.

If it has the petitioner or beneficiary's "ink signature", yes send the original but that is normally limited to the three categories I mentioned plus the cover letter.

Edited by pushbrk

Google Who is Pushbrk?

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

Just to verify and make sure we are on the same page...on the I-129f, court conviction supplement, I have 3 THREE certified copies of court documents showing offenses and releases. You say NOT to ever send originals. I am taking my entire package to the UPS store to make 3 complete sets, one for Fiancee, one of backup and one for USCIS. When I make copies of the COURT documents, Birth cert, passport, & those THAT are CERTIFIED copies of originals, I wanted the NOTARY to certify that these are copies of this original that I am copying, but they say they are NOT allowed to CERTIFY that they are copies, but they will notarize anything I want to sign. Do you think I should sign and date EVERY COPIED page of anything I submit and just have her stamp them all to look real efficient and professional as she is there anyways??or is this just overkill and not needed?

Be well,

J

The original documents are the petition, G325a's and letters of intent. Otherwise send photocopies. Even if the original is a "certified copy" send of photocopy of it.

If it has the petitioner or beneficiary's "ink signature", yes send the original but that is normally limited to the three categories I mentioned plus the cover letter.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Moldova
Timeline

I sent certified copies of birth certificates, as well as certified copies of documents of name change of my girlfriend because I had two copies of them all.

Did I do wrong by sending certified copies? I know photocopies are accepted with the I-129F, but are photocopies required?

Cheers,

Scott

june 16, 2008 - sent I-129f package

june 18, 2008 - delivered to CSC

june 23, 2008 - check cashed

October 23, 2008 - NOA2 approval sent

December 18, 2008, - interview #1

December 22, 2008 - Interview #2

December 22, 2008 - visa issued

Timeline
Just to verify and make sure we are on the same page...on the I-129f, court conviction supplement, I have 3 THREE certified copies of court documents showing offenses and releases. You say NOT to ever send originals. I am taking my entire package to the UPS store to make 3 complete sets, one for Fiancee, one of backup and one for USCIS. When I make copies of the COURT documents, Birth cert, passport, & those THAT are CERTIFIED copies of originals, I wanted the NOTARY to certify that these are copies of this original that I am copying, but they say they are NOT allowed to CERTIFY that they are copies, but they will notarize anything I want to sign. Do you think I should sign and date EVERY COPIED page of anything I submit and just have her stamp them all to look real efficient and professional as she is there anyways??or is this just overkill and not needed?

Be well,

J

Just send the photocopies of the certified copies. Don't notarize anything. Where did you see any reference to notarizing in any instruction?

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Timeline

Scott,

I think it was me who screwed you up mentioning certifying and notarizing in my last reply??

There is NO mention of notarizing anything in the instructions, MY mistake,... when I asked that last topic question. If you reread the above messages like i did, you will see the... clarity, so I apologize for beating a dead horse, all instructions in this post are clear enough, I just missed a few replies,

be well..JB

Be well,

J

Just send the photocopies of the certified copies. Don't notarize anything. Where did you see any reference to notarizing in any instruction?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.