boohbah

Does my fiance have to travel to London for his medical? o.O

23 posts in this topic

I was just reading all the experiences at London med offices & had me wondering! My fiance lives all the way up in Teesside...we had been assuming he could go to his local doctor. Is this not the case when it comes a medical for the visa?!

If so...ohhh I am going to hate to break this news to him... :P

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline

He does have to do the medical in London. Most people who live far from London arrange to have the medical at the same time as the interview, so cutting down the trips.

The real bad news about the medical is not where it is but how much it costs :blush:

The UK Wiki

The real bad news about the medical is not where it is but how much it costs :blush:

Indeed.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

Yep, definitely in London.

But like Poiteen said, many people who live far from London will arrange their medical around their interview. Im also from the North of England, so as soon as I found out my interview date and time I called up the doctors and requested a medical for the same day as my interview. They were very accommodating and made sure they left plenty of time between the two appointments incase I got stuck at the embassy for longer than expected. This saved me a lot of time and money as I only had to make the one trip.

My K1 Timeline

06 09 2007 I-129F sent to VSC

08 09 2007 I-129F received by VSC

11 09 2007 NOA1

13 09 2007 Check cashed

16 01 2008 NOA2 (126 days since NOA1)

31 01 2008 Packet 3 received

06 03 2008 Packet 3 sent to Embassy (I took my sweet time gathering documents)

14 03 2008 Packet 4 Received

09 04 2008 Interview APPROVED

18 04 2008 Visa in hand :0)

22 07 2008 POE JFK (EAD stamp given without even asking)

02 08 2008 Wedding

AOS

18 08 2008 AOS sent

21 08 2008 AOS received at Chicago lock box

11 09 2008 Biometrics

25 09 2008 Case transfered to CSC

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

Just to chip in here...

If your fiance does have his medical and his interview on the same day his visa will only be approved pending the medical results. All this means that he won't get his passport in the usual 3-5 days, he'll need to wait a few days longer.

Well, share the price of this medical please. Because i am going to be helping him with the costs. I can only hope that it won't be as high as I think it's going to be. :dance:

It is currently £180 if he doesn't have any vaccinations there - they are extra.

Oh, that's not so bad. What's the usual cost on vaccinations? I just talked to him & he's so sure that he won't need any shots...he's only hoping because he hates needles. :s I know they take blood though, but I am not going to inform him of that just yet. o.O

So if he has his medical on same day as interview...he won't know if he's been approved for the visa, until the medical results are back right? This is me assuming that it'll be a few days to a week...

Edited by boohbah

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
Oh, that's not so bad. What's the usual cost on vaccinations? I just talked to him & he's so sure that he won't need any shots...he's only hoping because he hates needles. :s I know they take blood though, but I am not going to inform him of that just yet. o.O

If he doesn't think he'll need them he can get a print out from his own doctor to take with him proving that he's had them. If he does need them he can get them done at the Knightsbridge Doctors or wait until he gets to the US and have them done before AOS. The best thing to do though if he needs any is to get his own doctor to do them before the medical - they might do them for free.

So if he has his medical on same day as interview...he won't know if he's been approved for the visa, until the medical results are back right? This is me assuming that it'll be a few days to a week...

Yep, that's right. :thumbs:

I actually waited until I had my packet 4 and interview date then phoned to book the appointment for the day before so I could just make one trip - it was fine - I got my visa nine days after my interview. I also had all my vaccines done at my local GP - these are only needed for AOS as well so they aren't essential for K-1 but would be better if can get them done on the NHS instead of in the US :D

(¯`v´¯).•*¨`*•?.•´*.¸.•´*

.`*.¸.*´ ~Timeline~

¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)

(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•

10 Year GC Received 03/16/11 - Apply for Citizenship 01/28/12!

*´•.¸.*´•.?•*`.¸

(¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•? •

Updating our story and website @ Jeraly.com!

Ucavm8.png?5mOl2yoSa4X9m8.png?i1gWjM94

Join the VJ facebook group! • • • Live in Cali? Join the Brits in California facebook group!

August 2008 AOS Spreadsheet is here! • • • July 2007 K-1 Spreadsheet is here!

What's the usual cost on vaccinations?
Here's the medical place link. It has a price list posted. http://www.visamedicals.info/us.asp

I just talked to him & he's so sure that he won't need any shots...he's only hoping because he hates needles.

He will probably need something. Some national health GPs are not giving the shots or charging for them now. My fiance got MMR free but GP says they don't have Tdap or DTaP except for their babies. Refused to give one. Nurse at the medical place said NHS is not required to give free shots for immigration purposes, but some will catch you up on any British requirements. BUT the immigration requirements are set by the US rules and aren't always the same as the UK. Women are being charged for HPV vaccine by GPs if they even can get it there.

Hope this helps.

Edited by Nich-Nick

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Just to chip in.

My nurse gave me a DTAP injection. Hurt like heck as I hate needles. :wacko:

The printout record she gave me says Tetanus/low dose diptheria vaccination but the actual packaging on the box was DTAP.

She's amazed that we need the MMR as she thinks that's just associated with children, but I told her to stick it in anyway. lol

• 3 weeks later...

My fiance is going to be traveling all the way from near Teesside...bleh...that's a 6 hour train ride, if i remember correctly. I think we should be able to find him a cheap plane ticket...that would eliminate about 4-5 hours.

Link me to some good airfare sites for UK flights please, so I can bookmark them for future use! :)

If I remember right, the prices for in-country flights always seemed fair...unless that has changed. :P

Edited by boohbah

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I recommend your fiance going to his local GP practice nurse and getting her to see if he is up to date with all of his shots. Get her/him to print out his innoculation records, sign it and date it and he is all set. If he needs any shots he can get it done there, often much cheaper (or free depending on the NHS authority) than at the medical in London.

Good luck!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.