Cutie Black

Help and advice on K-1 Visa

8 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Ghana
Timeline

my fiance is in the USA and i am in Ghana and want me to join him in the USA together with my 17 yrs old brother and continue his education over there..so i would like to know if there is anything we can do about it so i and my brother can go together

thank you

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ethiopia
Timeline

Your fiance can not bring both you and your brother. Your brother may be able to get a student visa and you can both travel to the US at the same time if the timing works out. But there is not visa type that will allow your fiance to petition for your brother.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline

Your fiance can petition for you to come over to the US.

Once you become a US citizen (4-5 years) then you can petition for your brother to come over. There is no way for a USC to petition for someone they are not related to, and even so, a USC cannot petition for in-laws.

Like reeses said, your brother can try for a student visa, but that is not guaranteed. Even if he gets it, he cannot live in the US permanently.

Mama to 2 beautiful boys (August 2011 and January 2015)

Click for full timeline

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
Your fiance can petition for you to come over to the US.

Once you become a US citizen (4-5 years) then you can petition for your brother to come over. There is no way for a USC to petition for someone they are not related to, and even so, a USC cannot petition for in-laws.

Like reeses said, your brother can try for a student visa, but that is not guaranteed. Even if he gets it, he cannot live in the US permanently.

You can petition for your brother even before you are a citizen but a several year waiting period won't begin until you are a US Citizen. Student visa for the brother is really the only possible option.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

I was looking into that, too, as my sister liked the idea that there may be a possibility she could come out with me... but no, there is only an option for you to bring your children, no other relatives. Like the others said, he will have to wait until you are a citizen.

:mellow:

http://www.travel.state.gov/visa/temp/types/types_1268.html There's the link regarding student visas. Your fiance won't have much to do with your brothers student visa.

Timeline

AOS

Mailed AOS, EAD and AP Sept 11 '07

Recieved NOA1's for all Sept 23 or 24 '07

Bio appt. Oct. 24 '07

EAD/AP approved Nov 26 '07

Got the AP Dec. 3 '07

AOS interview Feb 7th (5 days after the 1 year anniversary of our K1 NOA1!

Stuck in FBI name checks...

Got the GC July '08

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
so i should contact my fiance and tell him about it? so is it possible for my brother to attend high school there and continue with university there too?

anyway can somebody give me more information?

I'm afraid your brother is going to be on his own. He'll either qualify for a student visa or he won't but thoses are primarily for college, not high school. There are provisions for exchange students, but you really need to get through your head that there is no connection between your fiance(e) visa process and your 17 year old brother. If he is your responsibility, separate arrangements will be required and there's no assurance he can come to the USA at all, much less with you.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.