Cranky

K-1 denied at Manila Embassy, no reason or direction given.

51 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
I found out a little more info last night that I didn't have before.

She did receive a 212(a) ( if I remember the number correctly) stating something to the effect of "no petitionable relationship to the petitioner exists".

She assumes this is because of a previous marriage in 1997, that was dissolved in a US court one month later that she didn't want to tell me about.

She queried the NSO office and found no record of the marriage, so she thought it would not show up. Apparently it showed up in a local govt office where the marriage took place.

She said she had filed for and was approved for an "Abandoned" status with the Philippine courts in Sep 2007, however I had filed for the 129F in Aug 2007.

so.. some questions I have that I will be asking an attorney hopefully today.

1. Can this be challenged at the Manilla embassy, can she show them her abandoned/single status and clear the discrepancy?

2. Is she considered now to have committed fraud on the initial application because of the timing of filing the abandonment after the initial filing for the visa petition?

3. If so, will that prevent me from being able to file for her again?

4. Would this prevent me from filing for anyone else in the future?

5. Am I liable for her misstatement of her marital status?

6. Is she liable?

You'll have to file again. At the petition date, she was still legally married. Unless a misrepresentation is noted, I suspect there will be no problem with a new petition but you'll be starting from square one.

I'd definitely get an attorney involved in this though. There could be a real concern with "a previous marriage in 1997, that was dissolved in a US court one month later that she didn't want to tell me about."

Lies are never a good thing when it comes to immigration.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

I couldn't agree more with your advice pushbrk. If USCIS do decide that it was misrepresentation that is a very large hurdle to overcome.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Iran
Timeline
My Fiance' called this morning and said she was denied her K-1 Visa :angry:

We need to know what to do from here?

Her Interview was a few days ago, she said they told her everything was fine, but she needed two more years of my W2s?!?!? I had sent the 2007 one in the I129F / 134 package, I didn't see any request for 2 more prior years in the documentation and guides or I would have sent them.

I emailed them to her and she took them back in yesterday, they told her to go to some counter where she delivered the W2s. The man at the counter gave her back her and her sons passports they had taken at the medical, and told her she was denied and would have to re-file if she wanted to try again.

And that was it! She tried to find out why, he wouldn't say, he just blew her off and told her she would have to try again.

#######!!! What a bunch of bull ####. How the hell can they deny someone and not tell them why?

She was so prepared. She had all the documentation and relationship evidence organized and tabbed and everything. Not braggin here, but I make $100k a year, had real estate, stocks, etc. listed, 2 years of Long Form Tax returns documenting all of that. All of our trips together, my phone calls, Instant messages, emails, you name it, it was there. Everyone I talked to said, no problem, its a rubber stamp.

This feels like such a bull #### attempt for them to extract more money in fees. All the time and effort and money spent to do that and they just say , sorry your denied better luck next time?? I'm really glad I wasn't there or I would probably be sitting in Jail right now for ringing that #### neck.

So now I have nothing but questions....

Anyone know who's the corrupt SOB is that I have to bribe over there to get this damn visa?

NO

Do I need an immigration lawyer?

YES

I was read here in a few places that it was better if I wasn't there for the interview, would that have made the difference? Do I need to fly over there and go through the interview again?

FIND OUT FIRST IF THE APPLICATION HAS BEEN RETURNED TO USCIS. YOU MUST STOP IT FROM BEING RETURNED BACK STATESIDE!!!! ONLY THEN YOU MAY HAVE A CHANCE TO REVERSE THE DENIAL.

Where does it say on that documentation that we need three years of W2s ??? How did I miss that? Was that just an excuse for them to deny it? I don't see how we could have been anymore prepared.

IT IS LISTED AS "OPTIONAL" ON AFFIDAVIT OF SUPPORT TO INCLUDE LAST THREE YEARS OF TAX RETURNS. HOWEVER, CONSULATE STAFF OFTEN RAISE THE BAR REGARDING THE REQUIRED DOCUMENTS.

Do I have to put that whole package back together again and send it to her? They didn't give any of it back to her.

IF YOUR FIANCE WAS DENIED SHE WOULD HAVE BEEN ISSUED A BLUE SLIP WITH AN EXPLANATION FOR THE DENIAL. THIS IS REQUIRED BY THE EMBASSY TO GIVE AND SHE SHOULD INSIST ON GETTING THE REASON WHY SHE WAS DENIED IN WRITING. THIS WILL GIVE YOU AN IDEA OF WHAT THE CONSULATE FOUND DEFICIENT.

Do we have to do the whole medical thing again ?

NOT UNTIL YOU KNOW WHY SHE WAS DENIED.

Has anyone else been through this denial at the manila embassy that can provide some guidance here.

I'm so pissed off right now I can hardly work today.

Thanks in advance.

Cranky ( an understatement)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
You'll have to file again. At the petition date, she was still legally married. Unless a misrepresentation is noted, I suspect there will be no problem with a new petition but you'll be starting from square one.

I'd definitely get an attorney involved in this though.

Agreed, I talked to an attorney this afternoon, she said:

No problem filing again.

We won't be liable for fines for misrepresentation.

She will need an Annulment to proceed.

I will most likely need the involvement of an attorney to file again.

She said this happens in the Philippines all the time, women marry men who disappear, they figure that he disappeared so does the status, or figure they wont need to do anything about it till they need to get married again.

There could be a real concern with "a previous marriage in 1997, that was dissolved in a US court one month later that she didn't want to tell me about."

Lies are never good when it comes to relationships either, and an ommission of a material fact because you didn't want someone else to find out is a lie in my opinion. If someone will lie about this, then ethically, where will they draw the line? I have lots more questions to deal with now.

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

No problem filing again.

She said this happens in the Philippines all the time, women marry men who disappear, they figure that he disappeared so does the status, or figure they wont need to do anything about it till they need to get married again.

There could be a real concern with "a previous marriage in 1997, that was dissolved in a US court one month later that she didn't want to tell me about."

Lies are never good when it comes to relationships either, and an ommission of a material fact because you didn't want someone else to find out is a lie in my opinion. If someone will lie about this, then ethically, where will they draw the line? I have lots more questions to deal with now.

I'm sure you do and I hope you get to the bottom of it to your satisfaction. Do remember that many asians are far more concerned about saving face than we westerners. I was amazed to learn that my wife's sister didn't want her to tell me she and her boyfriend lived together. Instead she wanted me to believe they were husband and wife so I wouldn't think less of her. Strange but true.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline

Yes you have lots more questions to deal with. This was a huge thing for her not to tell you, makes one wonder what else she hasn't told you or what her real motives are.

It really all depends on what her motives are/were, and how you feel for each other. I know a woman from the Philippines who had 2 kids and later married an American. After 3 years of marriage, she finally told him she had once been married before to the father of her children (and divorce isn't legal in the Philippines but her 1st marriage somehow didn't end up registered), but it took her so long to tell him because she thought he would think badly of her and leave her. They got married in 1985 and they are still together and happily married. So it really depends on what your fiance feels and whether you can accept it. And it's true about saving face in the Philippines, so maybe she wanted to save her honor. You should ask her what her motives are, or even what she was thinking, and if she seems to have had good intentions, you can go from there with your decision.

Aug - k1 issued

Sept - marriage

Adjustment of Status

I-485, I-131, I-765 sent: 9/18

NOAs for forms - all rec'd 10/24

Biometrics appt letter - rec'd 11/01; walk-in 11/12

EAD approved 12/22; card production 12/24

AP 12/22 approved; 12/29 received in mail

2009 3/6 AOS interview: approved!

2011 ROC

Submitted I-751 01/20/2011

NOA1 01/24/2011

Biometrics Letter rec'd 02/07/2011

Biometrics Appointment 2/28/2011

ROC approved 4/11/2011

Thats a pretty big lie there, to not tell you she was previously married. I mean if I had found out my wife had been previously married and lied about it, i cant tell you how upset i would've been about something like that. I probably would not have gotten married to her because of my beliefs. I had never been married before and i only wanted to marry someone that also had never been married before. I dont know how important something like that is to you, but i would be thinking really hard about what else she will lie to you about later on down the road if you do get married.

29960_396648778323_615343323_4014936_8258670_n.jpg

Q3b5m7.png

Aug 3, 2006 Sent I-129f in to CSC

Aug 15, 2006 Sent in updated I-129f

Aug 23, 2006 NOA1

Aug 25, 2006 They cashed my check

Aug 30, 2006 NOA1 received in mail

Dec 2, 2006 NOA2 recieved in mail

Dec 12, 2006 I receive that letter from NVC

Mar 22, 2007 St. Lukes appointment

Mar 29, 2007 7:30am Interview

Mar 29, 2007 12pm APPROVED!!! PRAISE GOD!!!

April 10, 2007 Fiancee Arrived!!! WOO HOO!!!

June 26, 2007 Wedding

July 2, 2007 Medical for AOS

July 6, 2007 Sent in AOS (cutting it really close to the 90 days!)

July 8, 2007 USCIS receives i-485

July 16, 2007 NOA1

July 18, 2007 NOA biometrics

Aug 11, 2007 Biometrics appointment.

Oct 11, 2007 Interview

Oct 11, 2007 Green card Approved!!! You cant kick me out now Baby!

Oct 18, 2007 Welcome letter saying Green card is on its way

Oct 22, 2007 2 year Green card arrived!!

TIMELINE-I-751-Oct 11, 2009 GC Expiration

July 8, 2009- Sent 1-751 in to CSC

July 15, 2009- CSC sent back my papers saying its too early for 90 days expiration

July 16, 2009- Resend my papers 85 days before GC expired

July 18, 2009- Arrived at CSC-10:53 am

July 22, 2009- Cashed Check

July 27, 2009- NOA 1 recieved

July 31, 2009- Biometric Notice Recieved

Aug 18, 2009- Biometric Schedule

Sep 03, 2009- Card Production ordered

Sep 09, 2009-Approval letter recieved in the mail

Sep 12, 2009- 10 Year GC recieved

I agree with the others that lying is wrong, and in this case had severe consequences. I hope we will not be too quick to pass judgement on Cranky's fiance. from what was posted, it sounds like a USC went to the Philippines, married her there, then returned to the US and divorced her. I'll refain from comment on that ###. I know some about saving face. I'm sure she was embarrassed and felt shame. perhaps she felt it was all behind her.

Cranky, I know you have alot of issues to deal with and decisions to make. I wish you the best :thumbs:

US Embassy Manila website. bringing your spouse/fiancee to USA

http://manila.usembassy.gov/wwwh3204.html

I agree with the others that lying is wrong, and in this case had severe consequences. I hope we will not be too quick to pass judgement on Cranky's fiance. from what was posted, it sounds like a USC went to the Philippines, married her there, then returned to the US and divorced her. I'll refain from comment on that ###. I know some about saving face. I'm sure she was embarrassed and felt shame. perhaps she felt it was all behind her.

Cranky, I know you have alot of issues to deal with and decisions to make. I wish you the best :thumbs:

People do make mistakes in their lifes and are ashamemed of them for one reason or another. Nobody is perfect, we all have our dark secrets and yes even from our most tresured loves ones cause we are afraid if we tell them, we will be thought of differnetly. I hope her intentions are real for you, and I hope things work out for both of yous.

Paris Heart

Truly happy!!!

New life, new adventures, and a new attitude.

No problem filing again.

Annulments in PI normally cost about + or - 2 thousand US depending where she files. Also take from 6 months [that's fast] to 2 years depending on the place filed and cirumstances.

K1 denied, K3/K4, CR-1/CR-2, AOS, ROC, Adoption, US citizenship and dual citizenship

!! ALL PAU!

Timeline

Hello Cranky. I am a client at Reeves and Associates too. My interview is on June 23. Look for Attorney Flomy Diza. He's a filipino lawyer based in SF. He is very accommodating and will help you and your fiance with her visa. I had problem with RFE and we were past the due date. The lawyer was able to fix it and USCIS continued to process the application. Tell them you got referred to by client M-1205. They will really help you. Please tell your fianc ethat they have an office in Makati.

July 2007 - First met online

Oct 8 - 20, 2007 - He stayed with me and Chin for his trip

Oct 13, 2007 - He proposed to me

Dec 4, 2007 - hired a lawyer at www.rreeves.com

Jan 15 - 30, 2008 - 2nd visit to the PH

Jan 26, 2008 - He took me and my daughter to Hong Kong

Feb 15, 2008 - filed k-1/k-2 visa

Feb 21, 2008 - got out NOA1

April 10, 2008 - got our RFE

May 15, 2008 - reply to RFE

May 16, 2008 - touched

May 19, 2008 - touched

May 20, 2008 - NOA2 approved ( yeaahhh boyyyyy!!!! )

May 23, 2008 - MNL200864****

June 5-6, 2008 - K1 medical exam

June 5,10-13, 2008 - K2 medical exam

June 17 - 26, 2008 - 3rd visit to the PH ( can hardly wait!!! )

June 23, 2008 - Interview date (PASSED - pink slip)

July 1, 2008 - received text from delbros....still waiting!

July 3, 2008 - Visa on hand! yaaayyy!!!

September 3, 2008 - Left Philippines via JAL / AA

September 3, 2008 - Arrived Florida USA

yay fraud! your fiancee has to file for annulment here in the Phils, even if her previous marriage was dissolve i n the states.

that is why the embassy needs document verification to make sure that everything is a OK.

Edited by ruby_jade

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.