Toastburglar

My very expensive life

21 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

So. . . about a month ago I went to visit my husband in Orlando since I was going crazy all by myself in PEI. I was supposed to fly back Saturday night (with a connection in Newark) but do to weather I missed my connection (along with 90 other people on my flight). Continental was always my favorite airline, but aparently they have a policy that if you are travelling to Canada or Mexico they are not responsible for your overnight accommodations if there is a missed connection or whatnot. So, I ended up having to sleep in Newark airport and waiting a full 24 hours for the next flight to Moncton. My mother had to drive to Moncton from PEI on both Saturday and Sunday night to pick me up, (because I wasn't there Saturday like I was supposed to be) so I estimate she spent about $200 in gas and bridge fare altogether, plus I had to buy several meals at the airport, which probably ended up being at least $50

On to the medical

I drove from PEI to Halifax for the medical this morning. It all went pretty quick.

It was thorough but not too embarrassing since he did it all really fast. He was very nice too. He even gave me a map and showed me how to get to the hospital and where to go. I didn't have to wait very long for the xrays or the bloodwork at the hospital, and I was amazed at how many hospital workers knew exactly what was going on and why I was there and all about the immigration requirements. I fully expected that I would have to explain myself over and over again to get everything done correctly, but I was pleasantly surprised.

This all cost me $190 for the exam, $20 for the express mailing, $82.50 for the xrays and bloodwork, plus $40 for the bridge, at least $50 in gas, and probably $20 in food, tolls, and parking during the trip.

The only problem with the medical was that his receptionist told me beforehand that I didn't need the Gardasil, but I actually did. I picked it up at a pharmacy when I got back to PEI and hopefully I can have my family doctor inject it first thing tomorrow. Dr. Doane said to just fax him a letter from my doctor saying he gave me the Gardasil and I would be all set. I was worried (still am) that I won't get the results before I leave for Montreal next Wednesday night, but Dr. Doane seemed to think it would be no problem as long as I get the Gardasil stuff done ASAP.

P.S. The Gardasil cost me $150 for the first needle (my mother got a discount because she works in a pharmacy)

In related news, I decided to take the train to Montreal. On Wednesday I'm driving from PEI to Moncton to catch the train. It arrives at 8:15 am on Thursday, then I am staying Thursday night at La Tour Centre Ville. My interview is Friday morning, then I leave on the train back to Moncton Friday evening and arrive Saturday morning (then I will drive home to PEI). I have a sleeper car on the way back (very exciting!).

Total: $404 for the train, $102 for the hotel

Also will have to pay no idea how much for train station parking, whatever money I have to for food in Montreal, another $40 to get across the bridge, plus about $50 again in gas, whatever I have to pay at the interview ($131??)

So, it has been a very expensive week, and will be again next week. I hope my visa can take it. It's all credit from this point until I get back to Orlando and get a job.

At least there seems to be a light at the end of the (very expensive) tunnel - this time next month I will hopefully be back with hubby and applying for a job.

Toastburglar's Timeline

Married Feb 14/07

mailed I-130 May 25/07

never got NOA1 :)

NOA2 Oct 17/07

Case complete Mar 26/08

Medical June 3/08

Interview June 13/08

Visa received June 16/08

Crossed border July 3/08

Wedding celebration Feb 13/09

Susana Faith born July 16/09!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

What an adventure! I didn't know the bridge to PEI was that expensive - yipes! I hope everything falls into place in time, that you get your medical results prior to the interview and the interview goes as smooth as silk. And yeah, it can certainly add up!

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Timeline

Well I'm in Summerside, so the ferry is at the other end of the island - I'd be adding a lot more driving. Plus, I'm not sure if the ferry is any cheaper than the bridge anyway.

As I understand it, the train goes from Halifax to Montreal, and it stops at a bunch of places inbetween (like Moncton) and probably Truro or thereabouts too.

Toastburglar's Timeline

Married Feb 14/07

mailed I-130 May 25/07

never got NOA1 :)

NOA2 Oct 17/07

Case complete Mar 26/08

Medical June 3/08

Interview June 13/08

Visa received June 16/08

Crossed border July 3/08

Wedding celebration Feb 13/09

Susana Faith born July 16/09!!!

Timeline

Yes, the money is a dent... but at the end of your life will the $1,000 and change really matter when you look back? Don't forget to keep perspective... it's so hard to lose in the moment.

Current Status
July, 2011 - US Citizen

Timeline

The train goes from Halifax to Montreal at a speed of 96 miles per hour, and it stops at a bunch of places in between (like Moncton). If Toastburglar has money equal to what she has spent getting her U.S. visa and drops money out of the window during the trip, but wants to buy lunch at Truro - how much money would she need to throw out the window (in equal amounts) every mile?

Anyway Brad, I don't think toast is actually complaining about spending the money, as such, I think it is important to talk about the money aspect of this visa journey though. I think many going in to this probably find it helpful to get a ballpark figure of what it really costs.

Edited by trailmix

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Dr. Doane's office is used to out-of-towners, so they are super prepared with the directions! Even though I had lived in Halifax for a couple of years I appreciated the info about the QE2. He's nothing but efficient and thorough.

Trust me, when you hear the words "you're approved" all the thoughts of the money you have spent float away........ :)

Best wishes for a great interview! :)

*Cheryl -- Nova Scotia ....... Jerry -- Oklahoma*

Jan 17, 2014 N-400 submitted

Jan 27, 2014 NOA received and cheque cashed

Feb 13, 2014 Biometrics scheduled

Nov 7, 2014 NOA received and interview scheduled

MAY IS NATIONAL STROKE AWARENESS MONTH
Educate Yourself on the Warning Signs of Stroke -- talk to me, I am a survivor!

"Life is as the little shadow that runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset" ---Crowfoot

The true measure of a society is how those who have treat those who don't.

Timeline

Don't forget if you belong to Blue Cross to submit your reciepts for the medical to the Blue Cross Quick Pay office. They paid for my full medical! :)

Ahhhh the train to Montreal.. I've never done it (i'm from PEI too), but i hear it's a LOOOONG ride.. hope it speeds by for ya!

AOS:

2007-02-22: Sent AOS /EAD

2007-03-06 : NOA1 AOS /EAD

2007-03-28: Transferred to CSC

2007-05-17: EAD Card Production Ordered

2007-05-21: I485 Approved

2007-05-24: EAD Card Received

2007-06-01: Green Card Received!!

Removal of Conditions:

2009-02-27: Sent I-751

2009-03-07: NOA I-751

2009-03-31: Biometrics Appt. Hartford

2009-07-21: Touched (first time since biometrics) Perhaps address change?

2009-07-28: Approved at VSC

2009-08-25: Received card in the mail

Naturalization

2012-08-20: Submitted N-400

2013-01-18: Became Citizen

Timeline

We took the train from Edmonton to Toronto once (and back) - it was kind of nice really. We wandered around a lot, read books, looked out the window.

We had the berth thing, the ones where the berth folds down at the top and the seats on the bottom become one. I didn't sleep much for 3 days, needless to say, it's rather weird to be trying to sleep when the train is zipping along :)

Filed: Timeline
We took the train from Edmonton to Toronto once (and back) - it was kind of nice really. We wandered around a lot, read books, looked out the window.

We had the berth thing, the ones where the berth folds down at the top and the seats on the bottom become one. I didn't sleep much for 3 days, needless to say, it's rather weird to be trying to sleep when the train is zipping along :)

Yeah. Throw having sex into the fray and it gets even weirder. :lol:

iagree.gif

Timeline

Yeah. Throw having sex into the fray and it gets even weirder. :lol:

:lol:

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Oh man! I can't imagine 24 hours in an airport. I hope you didn't have to sleep on the floor like the "Amazing Race" contestants do lol. Your fiance should give you a nice massage for that one!

I hear ya about the cost. And on top of immigration is the expense of a wedding. We opted to skimp way back on that part so we can have a honeymoon. Plus with the distance, someone's family would have to be very inconvenienced to do the traveling while the others' didn't and that doesn't seem fair. And two weddings is really out of the question/budget.

BTW, we'll be at La Tour next Tuesday. We'll just pass each other over there! Good luck on your interview one short week and 2 days away!!

3/5/11 sent LOC paperwork

3/9/11 date of NOA

?/?/?? biometrics appointment

Filed: Timeline
Oh man! I can't imagine 24 hours in an airport. I hope you didn't have to sleep on the floor like the "Amazing Race" contestants do lol. Your fiance should give you a nice massage for that one!

I hear ya about the cost. And on top of immigration is the expense of a wedding. We opted to skimp way back on that part so we can have a honeymoon. Plus with the distance, someone's family would have to be very inconvenienced to do the traveling while the others' didn't and that doesn't seem fair. And two weddings is really out of the question/budget.

BTW, we'll be at La Tour next Tuesday. We'll just pass each other over there! Good luck on your interview one short week and 2 days away!!

I agree with you on the wedding stuff. In fact, I wouldn't have even had a wedding if my husband hadn't forced me. :lol:

And, oh wow! I can't believe your interview is next Tuesday, CBR! Good luck! Oh, and have fun in Montreal! FAAAAbulous restaurants there. I just (L) Montreal. :luv:

iagree.gif

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I agree with you on the wedding stuff. In fact, I wouldn't have even had a wedding if my husband hadn't forced me. :lol:

And, oh wow! I can't believe your interview is next Tuesday, CBR! Good luck! Oh, and have fun in Montreal! FAAAAbulous restaurants there. I just (L) Montreal. :luv:

Thanks for the good luck :). Do you happen to know where to find beaver tails there? Preferably near the consulate. I'm told I must try them there. The kiosk in Epcot at Disney (canada section) is always closed and I've never had one.

And yea, the honeymoon is the best part.

3/5/11 sent LOC paperwork

3/9/11 date of NOA

?/?/?? biometrics appointment

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.