MaRob

My African Man's Birthday...

9 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Cameroon
Timeline

Well my husbands birthday is on June 14th and we will have been married 3 months then :)... he told me that they really didn't celebrate birthdays in Africa and don't think too much about them... but I want it to be special for him, especially since its our first one together!! I don't really know what to get him or do though.. and we are on a budget, so I can't do anything TOO big...

....so I wanted to see if I could get some ideas from my wonderful VJ fam... what did you get your husband/fiance for his birthday? Any fun plans that he enjoyed doing? What about something that made him feel close to home? Thanks to everyone for your help!

04/16/2007 - I-129F Mailed to TSC

04/24/2007 - Official NOA1 Date

08/10/2007 - NOA2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10/17/2007 - INTERVIEW (PUT IN AP)

02/18/2008 - VISA ARRIVED IN MAIL!!

02/28/2008 - Arrives in the U.S.A!!!

03/15/2008 - Wedding Day!!

04/10/2008 - AOS Package Mailed (almost 1 year to the date later)

04/11/2008 - Received in Chicago

04/17/2008 - Check cashed

04/19/2008 - 3 NOAs received!

05/09/2008 - Biometrics Appt in SATX

05/14/2008 - Case transfered to CSC

06/11/2008 - EAD & AP Approved CRIS email

06/17/2008 - AP received in mail

06/21/2008 - EAD received in mail

01/21/2009 - FINALLY AOS APPROVED!!!!!!!!!!

Filed: Other Country: Jamaica
Timeline

MaRob!

OMG .... guess what?!?!? My husband's birthday is June 14th too! Yeah! :dance:

For his first birthday in America I tricked him into thinking that I needed him to drive me to the store. While he was showering - my neighbors, and a few friends sneaked in and we suprised him with cake and ice cream. In addition, by chance I found a website with items showing various country flags. So I purchased a tag for the car (displaying the Cameroon flag), and a lapel pin (showing both the flags of the USA and Cameroon). I also bought a model car (Hummer), and a soccor ball. Perhaps the model car may seem a bit corny. But my husband loves that vehicle (Hummer), so a model car is as close as it may get. :rofl: We had so much fun. It was especially nice because (like your husband) birthday's are not a big thing. So he had a chance to be honored on his special day.

The next year (2007) I simply cooked dinner (yes - that's a big thing in our house because he's the cook, not me :goofy: ), and purchased a nice outfit.

As for this year ... we are having a cookout. He has no idea! In addition - his sister, brother-in-law, and niece will be coming into town as well.

So ... considering that your husband has only been here for about 3 months; a simple gathering (cake and ice cream) would be a nice way to celebrate his birthday, and give him a chance to make new friends.

Just wondering ... my husband does not like sweets. Anyone else experiencing the same?

Boaz

ALL things work TOGETHER for GOOD!

Timeline

Wow! What are the odds huh? :) My husband is also the "cook" of our family, but he does like sweets... :) I think the cookout thing is a good idea... his sister is going to come that weekend and "surprise" him (even though he already knows, bc she is staying with us haha)... Did you wrap presents for him or just kind of give them to him? I don't want to make him feel like a child, but I think it would be fun... still not sure about that one yet... can you give me the name of that website you used?

Any more good stories out there? :)

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Well, we aren't exactly in the African family; but since my husband also has a June birthday, I'm piping in. His is the 29th, which is also our anniversary.....2 years this time.

My husband also did not celebrate much for his birthday in Jamaica. For his first US birthday, we got married. After all the hoopla, we had left over guests in the yard for alcohol, dancing, and fireworks.

Last year, we were in Washington, D.C. for a business meeting of mine. We toured and had a special dinner.

This year, I already know I have to work. I am really trying to brainstorm something nice this year. Just not sure what yet. And, yes, limited budget is in my vocabularly every day.

I believe anything special you do where you specifically say this is for your birthday makes the day important. It doesnt' have to be over the top to be appreciated.

Life's just a crazy ride on a run away train

You can't go back for what you've missed

So make it count, hold on tight find a way to make it right

You only get one trip

So make it good, make it last 'cause it all flies by so fast

You only get one trip

Timeline

Thats really funny Boaz, that our husbands have the same birthday... I also see from your timeline that you guys got married March 16th... we were married on March 15th... :blink: haha.. now if your birthday is in October, I'm gonna freak... lol :) What part of Cameroon does your husband come from? My husband is originally from Bamenda, but went to the university in Yaounde. He's turning 30 this year :)...

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ethiopia
Timeline

Last year my hubby's birthday present was a trip to visit friends in the US. This year I haven't decided. It will probably be low key. Dinner at a restaurant and some new songs for his Ipod. Within July-Aug, we have both of our birthdays and our anniversary. So we have a lot to celebrate. : )

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.