zitro1987

how long between the interview/test and the ceremony?

28 posts in this topic

But what is with some here that got to say their oath the same day as their interview and I assume at the field office where they had their interview. And what is this about so many slots for people who can say the oath, if they have cancellations, a slot is open so you can say your oath much earlier. Only time I can recall having to say a oath was when inducted into military service, and some 500 of us had to say it at the same time.

Each office's policy is set by agreement with the local US District Court. Some offices allow same day oaths. Some don't. Some do if you request it in writing. It varies by office.

I assume the limit is the number of people who can sit on the stage or whatever. At my local office it used to be 400 but they've increased it to 600 by moving the location.

Bethany (NJ, USA) & Gareth (Scotland, UK)

-----------------------------------------------

01 Nov 2007: N-400 FedEx'd to TSC

05 Nov 2007: NOA-1 Date

28 Dec 2007: Check cashed

05 Jan 2008: NOA-1 Received

02 Feb 2008: Biometrics notice received

23 Feb 2008: Biometrics at Albuquerque ASC

12 Jun 2008: Interview letter received

12 Aug 2008: Interview at Albuquerque DO--PASSED!

15 Aug 2008: Oath Ceremony

Any information, opinions, etc., given by me are based entirely on personal experience, observations, research common sense, and an insanely accurate memory; and are not in any way meant to constitute (1) legal advice nor (2) the official policies/advice of my employer.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline
But what is with some here that got to say their oath the same day as their interview and I assume at the field office where they had their interview. And what is this about so many slots for people who can say the oath, if they have cancellations, a slot is open so you can say your oath much earlier. Only time I can recall having to say a oath was when inducted into military service, and some 500 of us had to say it at the same time.

Each office's policy is set by agreement with the local US District Court. Some offices allow same day oaths. Some don't. Some do if you request it in writing. It varies by office.

I assume the limit is the number of people who can sit on the stage or whatever. At my local office it used to be 400 but they've increased it to 600 by moving the location.

Hmmm, how would one make a request in writing? To your assigned field office? Did send them a couple of letters before with that long delay on the ten year green card. That was a wasted first class stamp. I did see besides a bunch of armed security guards at our local office, trash cans all over the place, sure that is where our letters ended up.

LOL, just wait and see what happens.

Hi, I am aware that I would be given a date to take the oath and become a citizen of the U.S. The Interview is on mid-July, four months before the general elections. The problem is that I already have very important 'personal' plans from july 19-25 and I'm afraid that these plans, which require flying within the U.S, could get ruined by having the oath being given within that time interval. These plans cannot be moved. I want to know generally how long from the citizenship test is the ceremony.
This depends on the individual, affected by several factors: service centre, local office, whether test on same day as fingerprints (mine was), ...

Is there also a chance that the oath is on the same day of the citizenship interview?
Yes, if your interview is done prior to noon, there is some possibility.

2005/07/10 I-129F filed for Pras

2005/11/07 I-129F approved, forwarded to NVC--to Chennai Consulate 2005/11/14

2005/12/02 Packet-3 received from Chennai

2005/12/21 Visa Interview Date

2006/04/04 Pras' entry into US at DTW

2006/04/15 Church Wedding at Novi (Detroit suburb), MI

2006/05/01 AOS Packet (I-485/I-131/I-765) filed at Chicago

2006/08/23 AP and EAD approved. Two down, 1.5 to go

2006/10/13 Pras' I-485 interview--APPROVED!

2006/10/27 Pras' conditional GC arrives -- .5 to go (2 yrs to Conditions Removal)

2008/07/21 I-751 (conditions removal) filed

2008/08/22 I-751 biometrics completed

2009/06/18 I-751 approved

2009/07/03 10-year GC received; last 0.5 done!

2009/07/23 Pras files N-400

2009/11/16 My 46TH birthday, Pras N-400 approved

2010/03/18 Pras' swear-in

---------------------------------------------------------------------

As long as the LORD's beside me, I don't care if this road ever ends.

Timeline

Yes, if your interview is done prior to noon, there is some possibility.

LOL, struck out again, interview is at 12:50 PM, that is considered afternoon, right?

Hmmm, how would one make a request in writing? To your assigned field office? Did send them a couple of letters before with that long delay on the ten year green card. That was a wasted first class stamp. I did see besides a bunch of armed security guards at our local office, trash cans all over the place, sure that is where our letters ended up.

LOL, just wait and see what happens.

I asked my local US District Court, and she [the woman who coordinates the oath ceremony] said that the "request in writing" is a form they have available for you to sign the day of your interview. At my district, it must then be signed off on by a judge *before* the oath is given. (Usually a matter of a few days' wait.)

The only exception is that if you're changing your name via the N-400, the oath must be done in front of a judge, not a USCIS official.

Any information, opinions, etc., given by me are based entirely on personal experience, observations, research common sense, and an insanely accurate memory; and are not in any way meant to constitute (1) legal advice nor (2) the official policies/advice of my employer.

Timeline

The only exception is that if you're changing your name via the N-400, the oath must be done in front of a judge, not a USCIS official.

The N-400 form sure gives the impression you can easily change your name by checking off that box and typing in the new name, but the instructions state you have to appear before a judge first, do the name change, and submit the document before you send in the N-400 application.

So are you saying if you did go through all this, have to see the judge again?

Wife likes her middle name better than her first name, so asked her if she wanted that switched, until we read what we have to go through, eh, just leave it.

The N-400 form sure gives the impression you can easily change your name by checking off that box and typing in the new name, but the instructions state you have to appear before a judge first, do the name change, and submit the document before you send in the N-400 application.

So are you saying if you did go through all this, have to see the judge again?

Wife likes her middle name better than her first name, so asked her if she wanted that switched, until we read what we have to go through, eh, just leave it.

You do NOT have to do a name change through the courts before the N-400, you just check the box. My best friend's husband just did it a couple months ago (his original K-1 was done with the "wrong" name). They also didn't want to go through the hassle and expense of doing it via the courts, so he just waited and did it on his citizenship app.

You only have to submit documentation with the N-400 if you have ALREADY started using the new name. If you don't want to start using it until after the oath, you check the box and your name is changed as of the date of the ceremony.

Filed: Timeline

thanks for the info.

And if there's the rare and unfortunate chance that they will schedule me between the 21-25 week (i assume they don't do it on sat/sun), is it completely final? is it recommended to have evidence of flight tickets/hotel bookings and show that it's an inconvenient time?

Timeline

You are correct on the name change, sparkofcreation, reread the instructions more carefully this time, must have just glanced at it the first time as my wife said no to the name change. Ha, didn't want to offend her mother.

Also found this in the M-476 manal:

"1. Receive a

ceremony date

If USCIS approves your

application for naturalization,

you must attend a ceremony and

take the Oath of Allegiance to

the United States. USCIS will

notify you by mail of the time

and date of your ceremony.

The notice USCIS sends

you is called the “Notice of

Naturalization Oath Ceremony”

(Form N-445). In some cases,

USCIS may give you the option

to take the Oath on the same day

as your interview.

If you arrange to take a “sameday”

Oath, USCIS will ask you

to come back to the office later

that day. At this time, you will

take the Oath and receive your

Certificate of Naturalization.

2. Check in at

the ceremony

When you arrive at the

ceremony, you will be asked

to check in with USCIS. Try

to arrive early. Remember that

there are often many other

people being naturalized with

you who must also be checked

in with USCIS.

If you cannot attend the

ceremony on the day you are

scheduled, you should return

the USCIS notice (Form N-445)

to your local USCIS office.

You should include a letter

explaining why you cannot be at

the ceremony and asking USCIS

to reschedule you.

The naturalization ceremony is

a solemn and meaningful event.

Please dress in proper attire to

respect the dignity of this event

(please no jeans, shorts, or flip

flops)."

Thought I read someplace where the interviewee can request to say the oath the same day after successful completion of the interview, but can't find that now.

Read also between the time of the interview and the oath have to answer these questions.

"You must bring the following with you:

This letter, WITH ALL THE QUESTIONS ON PAGE 2 ANSWERED. TYPE OR PRINT ANSWERS IN

BLACK INK.

Permanent Resident Card.

Any Immigration documents you may have.

If the naturalization application is on behalf of your child (children), bring your child (children).

Other.

Proper attire should be worn.

If you cannot come to this ceremony, return this notice immediately and state why you cannot appear. In such case,

you will be sent another notice of ceremony at a later date. You must appear at an oath ceremony to complete the

naturalization process.

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services

. .

. .

Reentry Permit or Refugee Travel Document.

Form N-445, Notice of Naturalization Oath Ceremony

Have you traveled outside the United States?

Have you knowingly committed any crime or offense, for which you have not been

arrested?

Have you joined any organization, including the Communist Party, or become

associated or connected therewith in any way?

Have you claimed exemption from military service?

Has there been any change in your willingness to bear arms on behalf of the

United States; to perform non-combatant service in the armed forces of the

United States; to perform work of national importance under civilian direction, if

the law requires it?

Have you practiced polygamy, received income from illegal gambling, been a

prostitute, procured anyone for prostitution or been involved in any other unlawful

commercialized vice, encouraged or helped any alien to enter the United States

illegally, illicitly trafficked in drugs or marijuana, given any false testimony to obtain

immigration benefits, or been a habitual drunkard?

Have you been arrested, cited, charged, indicted, convicted, fined or imprisoned for

breaking or violating any law or ordinance, including traffic violations?"

So I guess you have to be good after your interview and drive carefully.

Ha, love that:

Has there been any change in your willingness to bear arms on behalf of the United States;

Will they actually give us a gun? Way things are going, regardless of the 2nd amendment, they are trying to take them away.

My husband's interview letter doesn't have any of those questions on it. The first item on the list of things to bring just says "This letter."

Timeline
My husband's interview letter doesn't have any of those questions on it. The first item on the list of things to bring just says "This letter."

Not on the interview notice, but suppose to be on the N-445 Oath appointment notice, USCIS does not list this form, but found an older version at

http://www.ilw.com/forms/N445.pdf

Nice to have an idea as to what to expect.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Chile
Timeline

Any idea what "Any Immigration documents you may have" means on the Form N-445?

I've got a fat file folder of "immigration documents", at least the ones related to the K-1 through N-400 process.

2008 - Citizenship

May 9 - Naturalization Interview in San Francisco, CA...passed!

Jun 2 - Received notification of oath ceremony

Jun 24 - Oath in San Francisco, CA

2006/2007 - Removal of Conditions

Nov 3 - Send in I-751

Nov 6 - Received at CA Service Center (according to Return Receipt)

Nov 9 - Check cashed by USCIS

Nov 24 - Receive NOA1 - One-year extension of employment and travel (notice date: 11/17/06)

Nov 29 - Receive NOA2 - Biometrics (notice date: 11/21/06)

Dec 5 - Complete biometrics at Oakland USCIS

Jan 22 - Two-year GC expires with little fanfare

2004/2005 - AOS

May 21 - Mailed AOS packet (I-485, I-765, I-131) to NYC district office

June 8 - Checks cashed

June 10 - NOA from NBC in Missouri for I-765 and I-131 (Receipt date: May 25; Notice date: June 7)

June 14 - NOA from NBC in Missouri for I-485

June 23 - Biometrics appointment in NYC

July 8 - USCIS website updated for biometrics of I-485.

July 21 - Received notice of interview for Adjustment of Status.

Aug 30 - AOS Approval. Yay! Receive I-551 stamp.

Jan '05 - Receive two-year Green Card with 1/22/07 expiration

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.