soco7tech

Fiancee comming to USA to get married, what next

7 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Poland
Timeline

My Polish fiancee has decided to come to the U.S. to get married.

She has already been approved for a visitors visa.

From what I understand, we will need to apply for a K3 visa after the wedding.

1. Do we need to apply for a K3 visa as soon as we get married?

2. What documentation should she bring with her?

3. Once the K3 visa packet has been sent, can she stay in the U.S. durring this waiting period?

Any additional information will be appriciated greatly.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: France
Timeline

Coming to the USA on a visitor visa in order to get married is considered like fraud by the US government.

You can either apply for a fiance visa (K-1), so she can come to the USA and you get married there, or you go to her country to marry her and then apply for a spouse visa (K-3).

Everything is explained in the guides here: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...amp;page=guides

07/31/08 Entry in USA with K1 visa

08/27/08 Married

05/15/09 Conditional green card received

05/10/11 Permanent green card received

07/28/12 Started naturalization process

08/31/12 Biometrics done

She can come to get married but she is ineligible to stay for the entire period of the time it will take for a K-3 to be processed. If you wanted her to stay, you should have filed for a K-1 instead of a visitor's visa.

If she tells the guard at the point of entry that she is here to get married, she will be likely turned away. If you are willing to try anyway, she should have a round-trip ticket and documentation proving her ties to Poland -- a mortgage statement, a letter from her job stating when she'll return, etc. But I'm pretty much thinking she's not going to be let in. Just a gut with her being from Poland.

And if you lie and get caught, you're going to get her banned from the country.

Why don't you go there and marry her after her visit? It'd simplify things a lot.

BTW, the two people who said her coming here to get married is visa fraud are wrong. It would only be visa fraud if you didn't ask the last question and you had every intention of her staying in the country and adjusting status after the marriage. Since you are willing to have her return home, you're very legal.

Unfortunately, it is still up to the discretion of the guard. And this is where you're going to run into trouble.

Edited by MsZ

Sent I-130 to VT 25-Oct-2007

I-130 Moved to California 6-August-2008

My petition has been in 3 states (1, twice) in 9 months!

Rec'd by CSC 8/9, touched 8/11, 8/12, 8/15, 8/20, 8/25

Approved Tuesday, 25-August-2008

10 months since we mailed the petition

Rec'd NVC 9/3, Invoice Generated 9/10, DS-3032 emailed 9/11.

Rec'd AOS invoice 9/15, paid online 9/15, Accepted as Paid 9/18, mailed I-864EZ 9/19

IV Invoiced 9/18, paid online 9/19, Accepted as paid 9/22

DS-230 sent 10/2

Case complete @NVC 10/8 - 11 months, 1 week and 6 days

Interview in Montreal December 18, 2008 - scheduled 1 year, 1 week and 3 days after the start of our journey. Takes place 1 year, 1 month, 3 weeks and 2 days after the start...

[X] Passed [ ] Failed Interview

Thursday, April 2, 2009 Activated Visa - 1 year, 5 months, 1 week and 1 day

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline
getting married on a vistitor visa is illegal. she needs a k-1 to get married here.

Coming to the USA on a visitor visa in order to get married is considered like fraud by the US government.

You can either apply for a fiance visa (K-1), so she can come to the USA and you get married there, or you go to her country to marry her and then apply for a spouse visa (K-3).

Everything is explained in the guides here: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...amp;page=guides

She can come and get married but will have to return to wait out the visa. It only becomes illegal if she comes with the intent of immigrating.

A K1 is so that the beneficiary can come to the US, get married and stay to adjust status.

Coming to get married and go back is not a problem :thumbs:

Mama to 2 beautiful boys (August 2011 and January 2015)

Click for full timeline

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
getting married on a vistitor visa is illegal. she needs a k-1 to get married here.

She can come and get married but will have to return to wait out the visa. It only becomes illegal if she comes with the intent of immigrating.

A K1 is so that the beneficiary can come to the US, get married and stay to adjust status.

Coming to get married and go back is not a problem :thumbs:

Second that. This is one of the most misunderstood issues. She may stay as long as her I-94 allows her to stay and not one day more.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

The best thing to do is to have dual intent. She's going to come and visit friends and family and have a vacation and then return home. Unless they probe (or find a wedding gown in her bag) and you don't lie to a question asked, you can avoid the second intention. And again, since she's going to go home she's not doing anything illegal.

Sent I-130 to VT 25-Oct-2007

I-130 Moved to California 6-August-2008

My petition has been in 3 states (1, twice) in 9 months!

Rec'd by CSC 8/9, touched 8/11, 8/12, 8/15, 8/20, 8/25

Approved Tuesday, 25-August-2008

10 months since we mailed the petition

Rec'd NVC 9/3, Invoice Generated 9/10, DS-3032 emailed 9/11.

Rec'd AOS invoice 9/15, paid online 9/15, Accepted as Paid 9/18, mailed I-864EZ 9/19

IV Invoiced 9/18, paid online 9/19, Accepted as paid 9/22

DS-230 sent 10/2

Case complete @NVC 10/8 - 11 months, 1 week and 6 days

Interview in Montreal December 18, 2008 - scheduled 1 year, 1 week and 3 days after the start of our journey. Takes place 1 year, 1 month, 3 weeks and 2 days after the start...

[X] Passed [ ] Failed Interview

Thursday, April 2, 2009 Activated Visa - 1 year, 5 months, 1 week and 1 day

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.