Dr. A ♥ O

Egypt tries to thwart Israel's plans in Europe

28 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

disclaimer: not your typical news source.

Egypt tries to thwart Israel's plans in Europe

By Barak Ravid, Haaretz Correspondent

Egypt has recently been attempting to thwart a proposed agreement to upgrade Israel's relationship with the European Union.

The proposed deal would significantly improve Israeli access to European markets, and could thus add billions of dollars to Israel's economy.

Israel first learned of the Egyptian efforts about two months ago, thanks to a tip received via diplomatic channels. The Foreign Ministry began investigating, and discovered that Cairo had instructed its ambassadors in Europe to wage a diplomatic campaign against the agreement.

As part of this campaign, Egyptian ambassadors in London, Paris, Brussels, Spain, Rome and other European capitals have met with high-level Foreign Ministry officials in their respective countries to ask them to reconsider the agreement. The Egyptian argument is that in light of Israel's ongoing construction in West Bank settlements and its blockade of Gaza, the EU must not reward Jerusalem in any way.

After confirming this Egyptian effort, Israel decided to confront Cairo. Senior Foreign Ministry officials warned their Egyptian counterparts that Israel views this effort very gravely and wants it stopped. However, the Egyptians denied any wrongdoing.

Israel's assessment, a senior government official said, is that the Egyptian campaign constitutes retaliation for a United States Congress decision to freeze up to $200 million in American military aid to Egypt. Cairo blames Israel for this freeze, because Israel has frequently complained to Washington about Egypt's failure to combat arms smuggling into Gaza. One of the conditions Congress set for unfreezing the aid was an improvement in Egypt's performance in this sphere.

In addition, Israeli officials said, Cairo is upset because the EU has refused to grant Egypt a similarly favorable agreement.

So far, the officials said, Egypt's efforts have not succeeded, and there has been no change in the EU's stance on the agreement. Nevertheless, Israel is furious over what the officials termed Egypt's "double game": even as it claims to be trying to help Israel negotiate a cease-fire in Gaza, it is working against Israel on other fronts.

Israel expects the upgrade agreement with the EU to be signed by the end of the year. The deal governs cooperation in a wide range of fields, from trade to science to diplomacy, and defines Israel as a senior European partner - the highest level of association possible short of full EU membership.

Meanwhile, Israel also sent a formal protest to the Palestinian Authority yesterday over a letter sent by PA Prime Minister Salam Fayyad to the OECD, in which he asked the organization to reconsider its invitation to Israel to join. Fayyad based this request on Israel's military operations in the territories, and construction in the settlements.

Prime Minister Ehud Olmert, who met Monday with PA President Mahmoud Abbas, told Abbas that Israel deems the letter completely unacceptable.

Source

Edited by Olivia*

paDvm8.png0sD7m8.png

mRhYm8.png8tham8.png

Not a shock.

"The fact that we are here today to debate raising America’s debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a sign that the U.S. Government can’t pay its own bills. It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our Government’s reckless fiscal policies."

Senator Barack Obama
Senate Floor Speech on Public Debt
March 16, 2006

barack-cowboy-hat.jpg
90f.JPG

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Prophesy will be fulfilled .

Don't just open your mouth and prove yourself a fool....put it in writing.

It gets harder the more you know. Because the more you find out, the uglier everything seems.

kodasmall3.jpg

Timeline

On VJ ????? :lol: Riiiiiiiiiiiight.

It gets harder the more you know. Because the more you find out, the uglier everything seems.

kodasmall3.jpg

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline
On VJ ????? :lol: Riiiiiiiiiiiight.

Then send me a pm cuz I don't get it.

:unsure: Me too please?

يَايُّهَا الَّذِينَ ءامَنُوا اسْتَعِينُوا بِالصَّبْرِ وَالصَّلَوةِ اِنَّ اللَّهَ مَعَ الصَّبِرِينَ

“O you who believe! seek assistance through patience and prayer; surely Allah is with the patient. (Al-Baqarah 2:153 )”

Timeline

0k, I PMed 0, so maybe she can pass it on to you, PB.

kodasmall3.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

alright will do. very fascinating. would love to hear more. I don't think it's a problem to share it on vj. it makes for fascinating conversation.

paDvm8.png0sD7m8.png

mRhYm8.png8tham8.png

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

That's pretty balsy of Egypt but unfortunately it probably won't do a thing since no one else will back them up.

"Only from your heart can you touch the sky" - Rumi

Timeline

alright will do. very fascinating. would love to hear more. I don't think it's a problem to share it on vj. it makes for fascinating conversation. God bashing.

kodasmall3.jpg

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Iraq
Timeline

I have a lot of things I would love to say about why I don't blame Egypt for being upset and for doing what it did, but I will keep them to myself. The EU will learn its mistake if it goes forward with this, but it will probably be too late.

I'm not saying who, but one of the countries involved will take the technology secrets they learn, modify them, then undercut the other country on prices so they can make all the money from the product. Not saying who might do that, but someone might. God knows it happened to the United States though few have noticed the ramifications.

I will add this is just good business for the country that profits. Yet it is bad news for any country dumb enough to fall into the trap.

Edited by S and S

Married: May 28th, 2007

Arrived in the US: December 10th, 2008

Timeline
I have a lot of things I would love to say about why I don't blame Egypt for being upset and for doing what it did, but I will keep them to myself. The EU will learn its mistake if it goes forward with this, but it will probably be too late.

I'm not saying who, but one of the countries involved will take the technology secrets they learn, modify them, then undercut the other country on prices so they can make all the money from the product. Not saying who might do that, but someone might. God knows it happened to the United States though few have noticed the ramifications.

I will add this is just good business for the country that profits. Yet it is bad news for any country dumb enough to fall into the trap.

Im placing my bet on Syria.

kodasmall3.jpg

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Iraq
Timeline

Im placing my bet on Syria.

lol

Married: May 28th, 2007

Arrived in the US: December 10th, 2008

Timeline

Yeah, I laughed at your post, too.

kodasmall3.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.