muffin

NJ drivers license

23 posts in this topic

Bergen county = $$$$$$$$. Does your soon to be hubby own a house there? If he does, his taxes are through the roof!!

We just got an apartment in Maywood.

We were approved for a 230,000 dollar mortgage but still, that wasn't enough to buy anything but a dump fixer upper!

LOL

He makes pretty good money though so in a year or so (when I'm working as well) We'll look into getting a house.

We got a great 2 bedroom apartment about 2 blocks from his parents. It's a lovely neighborhood, hard wood floors, dining room, living room for 1200 a month. Heat, hot water and utilities included.

Not bad. We'll be able to save up quite a bit and especially when I start working we are just going to live off his salary and put all of mine in the bank.

:) I have a job lined up so I'm not too worried about getting work.

I was shocked at the prices in Bergen though, incredible. I'm hoping they go down even more with all the foreclosures happening.

Let's Keep the Song Going!!!

CANADA.GIFUS1.GIF

~Laura and Nicholas~

IMG_1315.jpg

Met online November 2005 playing City of Heroes

First met in Canada, Sept 22, 2006 <3

September 2006 to March 2008, 11 visits, 5 in Canada, 6 in NJ

Officially Engaged December 24th, 2007!!!

Moved to the U.S. to be with my baby on July 19th, 2008 on a K1 visa!!!!

***10 year green card in hand as of 2/2/2012, loving and living life***

Hmmm maybe we should move back to Canada! lol smile.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Unfortunately, I don't think you are going to see a huge dip in Bergen. Bergen is the most expensive county to live in in NJ because the richest people live there! haha I know of a few people who pay up to $25,000+ a year in property taxes. So I wish you guys the best of luck if you think about living there for awhile. A two bedroom for 1200 isn't bad. We paid 1000 for a 1 bedroom but we despise the feeling of throwing that much money away per month for something we can never own. It was a nice way to start off our living together though.

You can find work easy in NJ which is what I like about working here. I just want to find something I love though.

"...My hair's mostly wind,

My eyes filled with grit

My skin's white then brown

My lips chapped and split

I've lain on the prairie and heard grasses sigh

I've stared at the vast open bowl of the sky

I've seen all the castles and faces in clouds

My home is the prairie and for that I am proud…

If You're not from the Prairie, you can't know my soul

You don't know our blizzards; you've not fought our cold

You can't know my mind, nor ever my heart

Unless deep within you there's somehow a part…

A part of these things that I've said that I know,

The wind, sky and earth, the storms and the snow.

Best say that you have - and then we'll be one,

For we will have shared that same blazing sun." - David Bouchard

Unfortunately, I don't think you are going to see a huge dip in Bergen. Bergen is the most expensive county to live in in NJ because the richest people live there! haha I know of a few people who pay up to $25,000+ a year in property taxes. So I wish you guys the best of luck if you think about living there for awhile. A two bedroom for 1200 isn't bad. We paid 1000 for a 1 bedroom but we despise the feeling of throwing that much money away per month for something we can never own. It was a nice way to start off our living together though.

You can find work easy in NJ which is what I like about working here. I just want to find something I love though.

I hear you. Renting was our last resort, we hate the thought but we hate the thought of not being together for a longer period of time while we look even more for a house. Nick has a good job and doesn't want to have to commute so renting was the best option for us now...we won't do it for long, year at maximum.

:)

Hope you find something great!!!

Edited by ~Laura and Nick~

CANADA.GIFUS1.GIF

~Laura and Nicholas~

IMG_1315.jpg

Timeline

Ah..me too. I hope it's soon but as long as I have a job I'm not going to panic. Where does your husband work and what does he do? Are you looking forward to living here? (ie. Are you THAT crazy??? hahaha) :)

My eyes filled with grit

Nick works for an Audi dealership.

He's the Assistant Parts Manager...makes a fantastic salary plus commission.

I am very very excited to come there. Yes, I'm a tad crazy!!! LOL

Nick has many friends who have welcomed me with open arms over the past 2 years so I am literally going down to like 30 people.

His family is wonderful. I do like the area. The only thing I'm nervous about is the health care and the driving.

I really do like it there so....I'm sure I'll be fine.

How do you like it? What does your hubby do?

CANADA.GIFUS1.GIF

~Laura and Nicholas~

IMG_1315.jpg

Timeline

My company builds car dealerships so maybe we built the one he works for :)

I thought I liked it before I moved here, but visiting and living here are really two different things which I'm sure more people can ateste to then just me. You will be find with the driving but you are going to have to pick and choose when you go certain places and where you go for certain things. I have to pick where I go to the grocery store for MANY reasons..I cannot go to walmart after 11am on a sunday or I will wait in line for an hour to check out. It can be a nice place to live unfortunately, once you start dealing with the every day people I think you may get frustrated. I know its definetely a lot different from what my day to day was like in Canada. I just find people to be very rude and will do anything to make your life harder haha That is just my opinion though. You may have a totally different reaction!

Having friends also helps a lot though!!! That will make your situation so much easier. I miss my friends from home so much but I sort of have to push that out of my mind and just try and stay in touch.

The heathcare sucks. But, if your husband has insurance and you can go under his insurance, you will be fine. It takes awhile to get used to having insurance and STILL having to pay some sort of money (ie. co pay) but you will be fine.

My husband manages the kitchen and restaurant staff at an Applebees so we do pretty alright.

My eyes filled with grit

My company builds car dealerships so maybe we built the one he works for :)

I thought I liked it before I moved here, but visiting and living here are really two different things which I'm sure more people can ateste to then just me. You will be find with the driving but you are going to have to pick and choose when you go certain places and where you go for certain things. I have to pick where I go to the grocery store for MANY reasons..I cannot go to walmart after 11am on a sunday or I will wait in line for an hour to check out. It can be a nice place to live unfortunately, once you start dealing with the every day people I think you may get frustrated. I know its definetely a lot different from what my day to day was like in Canada. I just find people to be very rude and will do anything to make your life harder haha That is just my opinion though. You may have a totally different reaction!

Having friends also helps a lot though!!! That will make your situation so much easier. I miss my friends from home so much but I sort of have to push that out of my mind and just try and stay in touch.

The heathcare sucks. But, if your husband has insurance and you can go under his insurance, you will be fine. It takes awhile to get used to having insurance and STILL having to pay some sort of money (ie. co pay) but you will be fine.

My husband manages the kitchen and restaurant staff at an Applebees so we do pretty alright.

Well yeah...I've noticed some places are insanely busy....oh well.

If people are rude to me, I'll just kill them with kindness. :) LOL

I'm sorry you miss your friends so much. I don't have many friends here so I'm very much looking forward to being down there. That's awesome that you are doing so well!!!

CANADA.GIFUS1.GIF

~Laura and Nicholas~

IMG_1315.jpg

Timeline

Oh I killed them with kindness for the first 6 months....and then when people start cutting you off and giving YOU the finger like it was your fault and saying the most nasty things to you EVER, the kindness tends to fade! haha

My eyes filled with grit

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.