england111

Help!! Any advice.......

4 posts in this topic

Hello,

Any advice on this matter would be great! I married my US citizen wife 3 years and we are now at the "lifting of conditions" stage. I applied for that last november, but due to a range of factors we have decided that we are perhaps not meant for each other and have split up. That actually happened about 6 months but she has said that she will help me through the rest of the visa process as I am now settled in america. However, although we are amicable, she wants to begin divorce proceedings, I want us to wait until my 10-year green card has arrived and then we can look into divorce. She wants me to sign papers to start the ball rolling, now my quesion is, will my application become voided if we start filling for divorce now or is best to wait until my visa has arrived?

Thanks for the help in advance,

carl

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

If your divorce happens before your conditions are removed - you will need to refile with the copy of your divorce decree. So, if she is willing to wait the 4 to 6 months it takes for your I751 to be approved, OK. If not, then get the divorce decree and refile on your own. Good Luck

P.S. Update your signature - it shows filed for K1 - confusing. (Fill out your time line too - it helps others.)

K1

March 2 Filed I-129 F

July 21 Interview in Bogota ** Approved ** Very Easy!

AOS

Oct 19 Mailed AOS Packet to Chicago

Feb 17 AOS interview in Denver. Biometrics also done today! (Interviewing officer ordered them.)

Apr 25 Green card received

Removal of conditions

March 17 Refiled using new I-751 form

April 16 Biometrics done

July 10 Green card production ordered

Citizenship

Jan 20 filed N400

Feb 04 NOA date

Feb 24 Biometrics

May 5 Interview - Centennial (Denver, Colorado) Passed

June 10 Oath Ceremony - Teikyo Loretto Heights, Denver, Colorado

July 7 Received Passport in 3 weeks

Shredded all immigration papers Have scanned images

Filed: Timeline
Hello,

Any advice on this matter would be great! I married my US citizen wife 3 years and we are now at the "lifting of conditions" stage. I applied for that last november, but due to a range of factors we have decided that we are perhaps not meant for each other and have split up. That actually happened about 6 months but she has said that she will help me through the rest of the visa process as I am now settled in america. However, although we are amicable, she wants to begin divorce proceedings, I want us to wait until my 10-year green card has arrived and then we can look into divorce. She wants me to sign papers to start the ball rolling, now my quesion is, will my application become voided if we start filling for divorce now or is best to wait until my visa has arrived?

carl

Motu has given you the guidance you need. I'll just add that it is wise to learn and use proper terminology. You received your "visa" when the K-1 was approved and you "used" your visa when you entered the USA as a K-1. You have "status" as a permanent resident now, and at this point you are awaiting is the removal of "conditions" incident to that status. ;)

"diaddie mermaid"

You can 'catch' me on here and on FBI.

A few people on this forum wrote that their I-751 was denied once they have filed for divorce (no hearings; just filing; as far as I remember-the couple was back together again but I-751 was denied). So, looks like CIS monitoring courts databases. Even if your divorce comes after I-751 approval-there is a chance that it could be denied. If she could wait for 6 months...would save you time and money. Otherwise, get fast divorce and re-file with waiver.

Hello,

carl

Karina and Tomy

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.