nunyab

Muslims

2,650 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

I agree his father's name is Hussein and his name is very close to a very bad muslim... so i think he's playing it safe. I didn't care too much for the removing the hijabies of the stage or going to the Jewish wall and praying but not once even seen talking to a sheik am i wrong?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Just a reminder, the Sunnipath fall semester starts soon! New-ish muslims (who've converted in the last 3 years) get a 75% discount on several courses:

Understanding Islam - Discount also applies to non muslims

Introduction to Islamic Beliefs

Essentials of Islam (Hanafi)

Essentials of Islam (Shafi'i)

Essentials of Islam (Maliki) - not offered this semester

I'm taking Introduction to Islamic Belief (always good to brush up on aqeedah with a teacher!), so if anyone signs up for that, let me know and we can be study buddies :star:

Edited by rahma

10/14/05 - married AbuS in the US lovehusband.gif

02/23/08 - Filed for removal of conditions.

Sometime in 2008 - Received 10 year GC. Almost done with USCIS for life inshaAllah! Huzzah!

12/07/08 - Adopted the fuzzy feline love of my life, my Squeaky baby th_catcrazy.gif

02/23/09 - Apply for citizenship

06/15/09 - Citizenship interview

07/15/09 - Citizenship ceremony. Alhamdulilah, the US now has another american muslim!

irhal.jpg

online rihla - on the path of the Beloved with a fat cat as a copilot

These comments, information and photos may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere without express written permission from UmmSqueakster.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

American Muslims and politics has been interesting to watch. After a period of indifference on the part of the immigrant/second generation community, in the 2000 elections they decided to try to block vote to exercise some power. They chose to support Bush, mainly because he mentioned secret evidence in a debate.

This community effort completely ignored the african american segment of our population, who was not happy to vote for Bush.

After 9/11, the invasion of Afghanistan and the Iraq war, the general sentiment has been to run as far away from Bush as possible. That's the strategy. If he's not Bush, he's all good.

Of course, now we run up into the issues with Obama. Do we really want to support someone who ducks and covers whenever the word muslim is used? He's really in a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation - if he acknowledges muslims, we're all good, but then a large segment of the population screams in horror. If he ducks the issue, we're pissed, but everyone else is ok.

In the end, muslims tend to vote either for Obama or not at all. I haven't heard anyone say they'd support McCain.

Obama does talk with muslims, just not in a very noticable way. I know Keith Ellison is a supporter of his. inshaAllah next time I see Keith, I'll ask if Obama visited the muslim caucus at the Dem Convention.

http://www.theworld.org/?q=node/20486

http://www.minnpost.com/stories/2008/08/26...r_muslim_caucus

http://www.thenation.com/blogs/jstreet/348561

10/14/05 - married AbuS in the US lovehusband.gif

02/23/08 - Filed for removal of conditions.

Sometime in 2008 - Received 10 year GC. Almost done with USCIS for life inshaAllah! Huzzah!

12/07/08 - Adopted the fuzzy feline love of my life, my Squeaky baby th_catcrazy.gif

02/23/09 - Apply for citizenship

06/15/09 - Citizenship interview

07/15/09 - Citizenship ceremony. Alhamdulilah, the US now has another american muslim!

irhal.jpg

online rihla - on the path of the Beloved with a fat cat as a copilot

These comments, information and photos may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere without express written permission from UmmSqueakster.

Timeline
American Muslims and politics has been interesting to watch. After a period of indifference on the part of the immigrant/second generation community, in the 2000 elections they decided to try to block vote to exercise some power. They chose to support Bush, mainly because he mentioned secret evidence in a debate.

This community effort completely ignored the african american segment of our population, who was not happy to vote for Bush.

After 9/11, the invasion of Afghanistan and the Iraq war, the general sentiment has been to run as far away from Bush as possible. That's the strategy. If he's not Bush, he's all good.

Of course, now we run up into the issues with Obama. Do we really want to support someone who ducks and covers whenever the word muslim is used? He's really in a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation - if he acknowledges muslims, we're all good, but then a large segment of the population screams in horror. If he ducks the issue, we're pissed, but everyone else is ok.

In the end, muslims tend to vote either for Obama or not at all. I haven't heard anyone say they'd support McCain.

Obama does talk with muslims, just not in a very noticable way. I know Keith Ellison is a supporter of his. inshaAllah next time I see Keith, I'll ask if Obama visited the muslim caucus at the Dem Convention.

I agree he is in a big catch 22 situation... yeah ask Mr. Ellison let us know :star: and i have to agree with you regarding the voting obama or not at all.

i'd rather write in ron paul, knowing full well there's not the slightest chance he'll be elected than have anything to do with obama being elected, or not voting at all.

otoh, the coffee shop next to my husband's work has an obama coffee blend, with kenyan and indonesian coffee, that's quite lovely.

I-love-Muslims-SH.gif

c00c42aa-2fb9-4dfa-a6ca-61fb8426b4f4_zps

Filed: Country: Morocco
Timeline

My sincere hope is that once Obama is elected and he doesn't have to tread so lightly, he can help ease our country into a better understanding and acceptance of each other. I'm not idealistic enough to believe this will be automatic, but I believe that's where his heart and many of his strongest abilities lie. It has been painful to see him distance himself from the word Muslim, and I was angry to read that his campaign had changed its mind about having the women in hijab stand behind him at the rally (although I'm not sure he would have made that decision himself). I believed in what I was hearing from him from the beginning of his campaign. Now he's been forced into a negative campaign that has stifled some of the message that got my attention in the first place, though he still impresses me as the one most qualified to lead. I truly believe that once he has a chance to be who he really is, we'll see some real fence-mending in this country. This diehard optimist sure hopes so.

As for the other major camp, I would love to hear Ms. Palin use the words extremists and terrorists without modifying them with "Islamic" every single time. Not even Bush does that as much as she does.

I'm the USC.

11/05/2007........Conditional permanent residency effective date.

01/10/2008........Two-year green card in hand.

08/08/2009........Our son was born <3

08/08/2009........Filed for removal of conditions.

12/16/2009........ROC was approved.

11/05/2010........Eligible for Naturalization.

03/01/2011........Separated.

11/05/2012........Eligible for Naturalization.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

There is this guy in OT who believes America is at war with Muslims!!!! i know al qaeda is a muslim organization but thats not what he means!!! HE MEANS ALL MUSLIMS!!!!! can someone plz tell me he is the only one who thinks that??? seriously; im so scared of going to the US!!! this is crazy!!! im soo intimidated by so many americans i ve seen here! i know i have to grow thicker skin when i live there but i want to know there are really intelligent ppl out there who know the difference!!!!!

lyrics.jpg

Timeline
There is this guy in OT who believes America is at war with Muslims!!!! i know al qaeda is a muslim organization but thats not what he means!!! HE MEANS ALL MUSLIMS!!!!! can someone plz tell me he is the only one who thinks that??? seriously; im so scared of going to the US!!! this is crazy!!! im soo intimidated by so many americans i ve seen here! i know i have to grow thicker skin when i live there but i want to know there are really intelligent ppl out there who know the difference!!!!!

Just like anywhere there are stupid people and not so stupid people :star: Just remember it's between you your husband and Allah. We're all here to help when you need it.

~Rajaa

Pay no attention to him, he is just a bigot.

Filed: Timeline

As LAL said...bigot. You know me...:) You know others....we are all here and will be here for ya when you arrive habibty! (F)

Timeline

I've been thinking to add to this thread, but am brinking on the fear of disturbing or say something wrong. So that's my disclaimer :)

I have been looking into Islam for the last two years (since Ahmed isn't here yet, I have a lot of time on my hands). I admit when i first started reading about it, it wasn't with the right frame of mind. As time has passed and I've learned more I've actually been able to relate with it and see the good and the beautiful of it. I'm always so touched and in awe of the devotion Muslims have to their faith and, generally, how they actually follow it. This is one of the things that drew me to my husband. I wanted a man who actually lived what he claimed to believe.

Here is my dilemma. I have been raised to believe that Salvation only comes through accepting Jesus sacrifice on the cross and to deny that is sure hellfire and damnation. I know that Islam believes that Jesus was a very good man and prophet, but that's it. I'm having a very hard time finding the bridge to cross over.

Also added is my family, who are all freaked out that I will convert and have made lectures and sermons part of their weekly conversations with me. Making sure I know and understand that I'll go to hell if I convert, while my husband tells me I will if I don't. (My personal opinion is that there will be many different faiths in Heaven, which my "religion" doesn't believe)

Maybe I should read this whole thread, but 72 pages is sort of daunting. I know some of you have converted and I am wondering how, if you had to, did you work this out? My husband says I already pretty much live a Muslim life anyway (minus the 5 pillars) and it wouldn't really be a change in my daily life. But it would be a huge change in my heart and soul. I don't know if I'm looking for confirmation, approval, explanation or an excuse. I just know I'm looking and don't know where to turn.

Edited by TinaMsea

Got married : 6-3-06

I-130 delivered : 6-12-06 - Appt in Cairo

I-130 Approved : 4-18-08 - USCIS approval!!

Visa Interview Date : 6-22-08

Case sent to WADC: 8-6-08 - FBI check

Email From Embassy 1-09 - Still in AP (7 months)

19 DHL scans - 2-19-09

1-26-09 - Out of AP, now final review

2-26-09 - Visa in hand!

3-11-09 - POE JFK - Got stuck there due to immigration taking too long. They didn't change his visa from CR1 to IR1, have to go to immigration here to fix it.

3-12-09 - Arrived in Portland!!

5-29-2010 - Zane was born ** Absolute best day of my life!

6-7-2010 - Ahmed went back to Egypt

8-23-11 - Filed for divorce

1-12-12 - Divorce final

Filed: Timeline
I've been thinking to add to this thread, but am brinking on the fear of I'm disturbing or say something wrong. So that's my disclaimer :)

I have been looking into Islam for the last two years (since Ahmed isn't here yet, I have a lot of time on my hands). I admit when i first started reading about it, it wasn't with the right frame of mind. As time has passed and I've learned more I've actually been able to relate with it and see the good and the beautiful of it. I'm always so touched and in awe of the devotion Muslims have to their faith and, generally, how they actually follow it. This is one of the things that drew me to my husband. I wanted a man who actually lived what he claimed to believe.

Here is my dilemma. I have been raised to believe that Salvation only comes through accepting Jesus sacrifice on the cross and to deny that is sure hellfire and damnation. I know that Islam believes that Jesus was a very good man and prophet, but that's it. I'm having a very hard time finding the bridge to cross over.

Also added is my family, who are all freaked out that I will convert and have made lectures and sermons part of their weekly conversations with me. Making sure I know and understand that I'll go to hell if I convert, while my husband tells me I will if I don't. (My personal opinion is that there will be many different faiths in Heaven, which my "religion" doesn't believe)

Maybe I should read this whole thread, but 72 pages is sort of daunting. I know some of you have converted and I am wondering how, if you had to, did you work this out? My husband says I already pretty much live a Muslim life anyway (minus the 5 pillars) and it wouldn't really be a change in my daily life. But it would be a huge change in my heart and soul. I don't know if I'm looking for confirmation, approval, explanation or an excuse. I just know I'm looking and don't know where to turn.

Have you ever thought about visiting a local mosque? At our mosque here we have classes for non-muslims that offer information on Islam as well as a chance to meet people and ask questions.

Just a thought... (F)

I converted over 11 years ago before meeting my hubby. I was raised in a Catholic family and my mother ended up leaving the Catholic church for a Pentacotal one. She was a born again Christian which I'm sure if she was alive she'd tell me the same as your family and would have many sermons to share w/ me. I adored my mother and she was my best friend but she did not sway my choice it was in my heart. My father on the other hand, is more open minded and seems to embrace my choice. However, I think its easier for him as we have family on his side that are Muslim. To each his own...(F)

Timeline
I've been thinking to add to this thread, but am brinking on the fear of I'm disturbing or say something wrong. So that's my disclaimer :)

Have you ever thought about visiting a local mosque? At our mosque here we have classes for non-muslims that offer information on Islam as well as a chance to meet people and ask questions.

Just a thought... (F)

I converted over 11 years ago before meeting my hubby. I was raised in a Catholic family and my mother ended up leaving the Catholic church for a Pentacotal one. She was a born again Christian which I'm sure if she was alive she'd tell me the same as your family and would have many sermons to share w/ me. I adored my mother and she was my best friend but she did not sway my choice it was in my heart. My father on the other hand, is more open minded and seems to embrace my choice. However, I think its easier for him as we have family on his side that are Muslim. To each his own...(F)

I have actually tried the Mosque. I was able to sit down with one guy over there in February for about 2 hours and he was very kind while I asked him question after question. They offered to help set me up with some people to talk to and find out about any classes available, but that was the last I heard. I've emailed them numerous times and I get nothing. I have a friend who goes to the same Mosque and has offered to help me find people to talk to, but we haven't been able to hook up lately.

I try to explain my issue to my husband, but he doesn't quite understand, never having been Christian. I was born and raised Seventh Day Adventist and, even though my family wasn't strict about it, it's still ingrained

I am currently reading Muhammad - a biography of the Prophet by Karen Armstrong. I took it this morning to the car dealer to read while I waited and was shocked that tears came to my eyes as I read. Maybe I'm putting too much into it, but I know I felt something.

Thank you Annie for your response and suggestion. (F) I will try to reach the Mosque again.

Got married : 6-3-06

I-130 delivered : 6-12-06 - Appt in Cairo

I-130 Approved : 4-18-08 - USCIS approval!!

Visa Interview Date : 6-22-08

Case sent to WADC: 8-6-08 - FBI check

Email From Embassy 1-09 - Still in AP (7 months)

19 DHL scans - 2-19-09

1-26-09 - Out of AP, now final review

2-26-09 - Visa in hand!

3-11-09 - POE JFK - Got stuck there due to immigration taking too long. They didn't change his visa from CR1 to IR1, have to go to immigration here to fix it.

3-12-09 - Arrived in Portland!!

5-29-2010 - Zane was born ** Absolute best day of my life!

6-7-2010 - Ahmed went back to Egypt

8-23-11 - Filed for divorce

1-12-12 - Divorce final

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.