nunyab

Muslims

2,650 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline
well reading the Qu'ran i cannot figure this one out???? but thanks Ash habibati I chose Islam as my way for it made sense to my mind and heart... the rest is just confusing??? is there a Qu'ran only path?

There are quran only groups, but they have never really gained any major followings.

It seems quite clear to me when we look at how the Qur'an was revealed that we are to follow both the Qur'an and the example of our beloved Prophet (saws). If we were only to follow the Qur'an, then why send it to a messenger over an extended period of time, a messenger who taught the Qur'an? Wouldn't it have been better to just reveal the book, bam! everyone interpret it for him/herself, if that was the intention? Even from the pages of the Qur'an, we see that we are suppose to follow the Prophet (saws):

Surely there is for you in God’s Messenger an excellent example for him who aspires to God and the Hereafter, and mentions God oft. (33:21)

O you who believe! Obey God and His Messenger, and do not turn away from him. (8:20)

O you who believe! Obey God and obey the Messenger and those in authority from amongst you. (4:59)

Say (O Muhammad!): ‘If you love God, follow me so that God loves you.’ (3:31)

When one makes shahada, they declare that there is nothing worthy of worship except God, and that Muhammad is His messenger. What is the role of that messenger? Was he simply an errand boy, dropping off the Qur'an for us to learn? Or was he a teacher, a living example of how we should impliment the Qur'an in our lives?

10/14/05 - married AbuS in the US lovehusband.gif

02/23/08 - Filed for removal of conditions.

Sometime in 2008 - Received 10 year GC. Almost done with USCIS for life inshaAllah! Huzzah!

12/07/08 - Adopted the fuzzy feline love of my life, my Squeaky baby th_catcrazy.gif

02/23/09 - Apply for citizenship

06/15/09 - Citizenship interview

07/15/09 - Citizenship ceremony. Alhamdulilah, the US now has another american muslim!

irhal.jpg

online rihla - on the path of the Beloved with a fat cat as a copilot

These comments, information and photos may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere without express written permission from UmmSqueakster.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Algeria
Timeline
stupid question here but how would i know which "sect" of Islam I am????? how do you know which one you identify with if ???

I had no idea when i said my Shahada that there were so many branches?? crazy me

If it's any consolation I'm coming up on my third year of being muslim and I still haven't picked a madhab. :blush: I think I basically follow hanafi but I really haven't had the time (ok I have but I'm lazy I think) to delve into all four and make a final decision.

I hope you don't take offense! But I think you havn't been Muslim long enough to have enough info to pick a madhab ... and no one says you even have to! I have been Muslim for 10plus yrs without picking one! It's better to follow example of our Prophet (saw) then these scholars. But that is me!

Filed: Timeline
I watched a documentary on Iran a while back...maybe in Jan? Anyhoo it was showing some Sufi muslims and omg I thought they were so cool. They all sat in a circle...the men that is...I think the women were outside the building for whatever reason, and they smoked hashish. Then they took their turbans off and revealed their long hair that totally hit the floor it was so long (and greasy but that's not the point) and they started dancing and swaying their heads so the hair went all over the place. I told my husband THAT's the kind I wanna be but he pointed out that the long hair is shirk or whatever because the prophet Mohammed, pbuh, said for men not to imitate women and vice versa.

They are look outs for the "bolice" :lol:

Timeline
I watched a documentary on Iran a while back...maybe in Jan? Anyhoo it was showing some Sufi muslims and omg I thought they were so cool. They all sat in a circle...the men that is...I think the women were outside the building for whatever reason, and they smoked hashish. Then they took their turbans off and revealed their long hair that totally hit the floor it was so long (and greasy but that's not the point) and they started dancing and swaying their heads so the hair went all over the place. I told my husband THAT's the kind I wanna be but he pointed out that the long hair is shirk or whatever because the prophet Mohammed, pbuh, said for men not to imitate women and vice versa.

The Prophet (saws) had long hair :whistle:

I'm suprised that was his only objection. My husband would be all up in arms about the bida of it all.

One thing I should note is that a practioner of tasawwuf shouldn't do something that contravenes the sacred law. Doing drugs are definately a no no. Dancing *can* be considered ok, but that's a whole 'nother ball of wax. If you differentiate between bida hasana (good innovation) and bad bida, then you can make movement in dhikr a-ok with sacred law. If you're of the view that the only bida is a bad bida, then dancing ain't gunna cut it. As fate would have it, I married a "there's only bad bida" guy, while I am contemplating walking the path of tasawwuf with good bida. It's, um, interesting :wacko:

From the bida hasana camp:

The Whirling Dervishes and Orthodox Islam

The Hadra and Sacred Law

Sometime in 2008 - Received 10 year GC. Almost done with USCIS for life inshaAllah! Huzzah!

12/07/08 - Adopted the fuzzy feline love of my life, my Squeaky baby th_catcrazy.gif

07/15/09 - Citizenship ceremony. Alhamdulilah, the US now has another american muslim!

irhal.jpg

These comments, information and photos may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere without express written permission from UmmSqueakster.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline
stupid question here but how would i know which "sect" of Islam I am????? how do you know which one you identify with if ???

I had no idea when i said my Shahada that there were so many branches?? crazy me

If it's any consolation I'm coming up on my third year of being muslim and I still haven't picked a madhab. :blush: I think I basically follow hanafi but I really haven't had the time (ok I have but I'm lazy I think) to delve into all four and make a final decision.

I hope you don't take offense! But I think you havn't been Muslim long enough to have enough info to pick a madhab ... and no one says you even have to! I have been Muslim for 10plus yrs without picking one! It's better to follow example of our Prophet (saw) then these scholars. But that is me!

No offense taken. When I ask my hubby he doesn't even know what he is and he's been mulsim for 35+ years! lol

"Only from your heart can you touch the sky" - Rumi

Just what I was thinking :rofl: :rofl:

Timeline
I hope you don't take offense! But I think you havn't been Muslim long enough to have enough info to pick a madhab ... and no one says you even have to! I have been Muslim for 10plus yrs without picking one!

I wouldn't say no one. There definately are people who say it is required to follow a madhab. Yet another difference of opinion.

It's better to follow example of our Prophet (saw) then these scholars. But that is me!

It's a common misconception that the imams and scholars of the madhabs aren't doing their best to follow the Qur'an and the sunnah. Rather, the madhab system was created to codify a method of approaching the Qur'an and the Sunnah. It wasn't just that the imams took what they had at the time, created a set of rulings and bam, that was it. Instead, their students, and their students, down through the present day, work within the framework of the madhab to create rulings from the Qur'an, the Sunnah, analogy and the consensus of the scholars.

Those who follow a madhab are simply placing their trust in the scholars of the madhab to best interpret the Qur'an and the Sunnah when the followers do not have the time nor the training to do it for themselves.

Even those who today say they follow only the quran and the sunnah are in reality chosing to place their trust in a different set of scholars who have examined the Qur'an and the Sunnah within a different framework.

irhal.jpg

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Algeria
Timeline
tt1916244fltt.gif

You rock Noura! :thumbs:

Something else for the new Muslims:

I have on occasion come across Muslims who are sincere but ignorant of some of the finer points of Islamic lifestyle according to the traditions of the Holy Prophet (may Peace and Blessings be upon him). This however, is easy to do in this day and age where there are so many forgotten traditions of the Holy Prophet which if we saw today we may think they are some strange bidat! One of these forgotten traditions is one of the most basic and fundamental elements of our dear religion, the Islamic greeting. The Islamic greeting, es-salaamu 'aleikum; God's Peace be upon you, is an element of good Islamic manners. In the proper conduct of greetings one may find keys to good social behavior and the proprieties of friendship and exchanges in Islamic framings. God says in the Qur'an (BismillaharRahmanirRahim),

"When you are greeted with a greeting, greet with better than it or return it. Allah takes count of all things". (004:086)

So clearly it is preferred to return a greeting by adding to it. But there have been so many times where I have greeted a Muslim and received no greeting at all! And perhaps times where a Muslim has greeted me and received only an equal greeting in return, or worse. These days we greet people we know, and only people we know. When we receive a greeting from someone we don't know we are silent looking oddly as if someone has violated an unwritten code of ethics. But this unwritten code of ethics is un-Islamic by nature and egoistic at best.

One aspect of our Islamic greeting would puzzle me when I first began studying the Arabic language and that was, the fact that we salute a single individual in the the plural saying, es-salaamu 'aleikum, 'aleikum implying "upon you all". This plural pronoun was also used in response. Al-A'mash, Ibrahim an-Nakha'i discussed this item saying,

"When you salute a single individual, you must say: es-salaamu 'aleikum [using the pronoun -kum], for the angels are with him."

It should be interesting to note that our greeting, seemingly of a simple nature, holds many keys within it. And like other keys or secrets, there are protocols upon their use. For example a hadith, tradition of the Prophet (may Peace and Blessings be upon him), reported in the Sahih of Muslim as narrated by Abu Huraira (may Allah be well pleased with him) says that according to God's Messenger (may Peace and Blessings be upon him),

"The rider should salute the walker, the walker the sitter, and the few the many."

Shaikh Ahmad Fathu'llah Jami's Sifat al-Mu'minin (The Attributes of the Believers) gives a clear and concise commentary on this hadith explaining that,

"He began mentioning the rider, because of his elevated rank, and because pride might otherwise deter him from being the first to salute. The same principle was then applied to the walker [in relation to the sitter]. It has also been said: "Since the sitter is in the state of dignity, calm and composure, he is entitled to that prerogative [of being saluted], rather that the walker, whose state is the opposite." As for the salutation offered by the few to the many, it is a mark of respect for the majority of Muslims. As recorded by al-Bukhari, this Prophetic tradition includes the addition words:

"The younger should salute the adult."

Another custom of the Holy Prophet (may Peace and Blessings be upon him) is shaking hands while offering salaams. This custom in particular, you will find upon meeting me that I have a fondness for, perhaps to a fault. Today, we must ask ourselves, how much of this, seemingly simple custom are we following? And if we are not what have we adopted in its place? Especially when there is blessing and reward for us in these simple customs. For instance concerning the shaking of hands, the Prophet (may Peace and Blessings be upon him) says,

"When two Muslims shake hands, their sins fall to the ground, as leaves of the tree fall to the ground."

MachaAllah! And we pass the opportunity to rid ourselves of sins on a daily basis. Yes, machaAllah to us! There are so many customs for greetings that are lost. But those that we have we should try our best to apply and to raise our children with, to train our children to exercise so that they can benefit from them for generations and not lose these gems, these salutations of the Prophet in later generations. Some of these customs I had never seen in regular life until I attended regular association with a shaykh. Some of which have happened more recently, these customs include:

• When entering an empty house, you must offer the salutation of peace.
    • You are saluting yourself on Allah's behalf.
    • You are saluting the believing jinn who occupy the house.
    • Through the blessings of peace, you are seeking safety from the devils and harmful influences present in the house.
    • Custom requires the person who initiates the salutation to be in a state of ritual purity (wudu') as well as the respondent.
<LI>When two people meet, custom requires them to try and forestall each other in offering the salutation, as a demonstration of humility.

So just a reminder for you and for me to give salaams to our fellow Believers and shake hands as a means to attain purity.

Henia,

that was a very helpful post - thank you much! it's been 3 years since i reverted and i feel like i'm just touching the surface. i've yet to find a mosque near home where i can converse and learn with other sisters. God willing I will during the holy month.

thanks again.

I am glad it was helpful Prena!

And I would also like to add that, many Muslims esp women forget to give the esalaams due to some cultural taboos for women to talk (to men). But it is clear for even women to give the esalaams, esp when conducting business (ex: shopping, walking one's neighbourhood, etc) and/or walking direct in front of a Muslim. I mean, we don't have to greet each person we pass by ... but good manners to greet all those we pass directly (eye contact).

It is interesting that women in the bled(countryside) greet everyone they pass! Simply and kindly as I am sure the first Muslims did. But people from the cities think it to be "above them" to greet everyone!

I know I greet everyone I come in contact with ... many people, men would take this in the wrong way ... but for men, not from my family I just simply don't make eye contact or smile. Just say the salaams as I walk past them!

But one quick note: Muslims are encouraged to smile, since our Prophet (saw) said it was one of the greatest charities one could give each other! So :D !!!!

But anyway I feel like I am preaching now ... :whistle: so I will shut up now!

Bridget: My husband too, over 30 but hasn't picked a school! So it's all good! B)

Rahma: I just laugh when I see men trying to minic the Prophet in *stupid* ways like how long his beard or hair was?! :bonk: Aren't there more important things to minic???? :wacko:

I noticed the same thing Henia!! My mother in law is a bledi hehe and walking to get food to the market or the monoprix with her.. wow.. Have to greet everyone, smile at them, leads to a conversation, three hours for a 5 minute walk out and home but she's the sweetest person I've ever met and her reputuation in the town speaks for itself ! Total :innocent: They live in a really rural /mountainous area but when you are in Tounes... oh no way..... People all but knock you down to get by you.. for get proper greetings, just try not to get mowed over!!! :wacko:

It is interesting that women in the bled(countryside) greet everyone they pass! Simply and kindly as I am sure the first Muslims did. But people from the cities think it to be "above them" to greet everyone!

I personally dont follow a section nor a single school of thought! I follow the quran and what the prophet 3alayhi as-saltu was-salam taught us! anything not from quran nor authenticized i totally disregard. I believe they r all scholars who r working hard for the sake of knowledge; the prophet said those who get it wrong after their hard work they will get one ajr -good deed if i may say- and those who get it right get two ajr. I have atmost respect to all the scholars and im no place whatsoever to judge nor say they re right or wrong. I will live n die a student who is striving for Jannah by all the means Allah has given me. I honestly dont believe in sections; i believe the road is clear and only humans divid themselves n make it harder on themselves and others. All these names r man made and if i was ever to call myself anything i wd be "RABANEYA" like in the quran - meaning following only Allah; my Lord.

me too, me too :thumbs:

Visited Jordan-December 2004

Interview-December 2005

Visa approved-December 2005, 1 week later after supplying "more information"

Arrived U.S.A.-December 2005

Removed Conditions-September 2008

Divorced in December 2013

lovingmemory.jpgInlovingmemory-2.gifmybabygirl-1-1.jpghenna_rose.jpg37320lovesaved-1.jpg

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline
Just what I was thinking :rofl: :rofl:

OMG that never crossed my mind!! :rofl::rofl::rofl:

The link you gave about the long hair doesn't really show that it's ok to do. I mean on the one hand the prophet , pbuh, did have long hair but at the same time the other two points a)it's unusual in our culture for men to have long hair and B)a man should not imitate a woman. Anyways he thinks it's all bad, not just the hair part. I just thought the hair part was funny for some reason. lol.

"Only from your heart can you touch the sky" - Rumi

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
rahma---your cross-stitch patterns are in the mail ! (so is noura's and brni's)

Anybody else want a set? I have plenty printed and a box of envelopes.

j

Thanks in advance Jax! (F)

BJsTm6.png

*No conflict when the flute is playing, for then I see every movement emanates from God's Holy Dance* ~ Hafiz

Timeline

jazakAllah khair Jackie!

irhal.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.