jook

When to apply for K1 for fiance's daughter

6 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Is it a big hassle if my fiance's daughter, 7 years old, doesn't apply for the K1 along with mom? We'd like to get settled before she comes here.

My fiance just sent off her initial paperwork to me, i.e., G325, etc. The day after she sent it, we had very very unexpected fantastic news that she got custody of her daughter over her ex. As I said, we'd like her to join us later (6 months to a year). If that's going to be a major big deal, she'll come with mom. Will I have to have my fiance amend the paperwork that was sent to me or can I change it myself?

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
Is it a big hassle if my fiance's daughter, 7 years old, doesn't apply for the K1 along with mom? We'd like to get settled before she comes here.

My fiance just sent off her initial paperwork to me, i.e., G325, etc. The day after she sent it, we had very very unexpected fantastic news that she got custody of her daughter over her ex. As I said, we'd like her to join us later (6 months to a year). If that's going to be a major big deal, she'll come with mom. Will I have to have my fiance amend the paperwork that was sent to me or can I change it myself?

There SHOULD be nothing to amend on the paperwork. It doesn't ask if children are coming, just to list her children. For K2 children of a K1 beneficiary/applicant, all you do at the petition stage is list the child's name where it is asked for. A few months from now when the Consulate is about to receive the case file from NVC, you can email them for any instructions on handling a K2 follow to join.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

We had the same situation. I sent everything in with the idea that her daughter was staying in Russia but when my fiancee received her packet from the embassy the decision was made to include her daughter. It was no problem (through the embassy in Russia) and she just had to include her info on the documents she brought to the embassy. Daughter was approved and arrived in the US three months after her mother. The embassy did say that if it would be more than six months after the interview she would need a new medical and a second interview. I learned this shortly after the interview when my wife was approved but step daughter was not...at least not immediately. We were sad, but about a half hour after the interview the embassy called us to clarify the situation (thank you, folks, at our embassy in Moscow) and we straightened it out over the phone. Thank God I was there for her interview, and very surprised they cared enough to call.

Any way be sure to clarify how long after her mother she will arrive in the US and find out about the interview and medical. Perhaps an e-mail to the embassy would be a good idea.

If at first you don't succeed, then sky diving is not for you.

Someone stole my dictionary. Now I am at a loss for words.

If Apple made a car, would it have windows?

Ban shredded cheese. Make America Grate Again .

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.  Deport him and you never have to feed him again.

I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.

I went bald but I kept my comb.  I just couldn't part with it.

My name is not Richard Edward but my friends still call me DickEd

If your pet has a bladder infection, urine trouble.

"Watch out where the huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow."

I fired myself from cleaning the house. I didn't like my attitude and I got caught drinking on the job.

My kid has A.D.D... and a couple of F's

Carrots improve your vision.  Alcohol doubles it.

A dung beetle walks into a bar and asks " Is this stool taken?"

Breaking news.  They're not making yardsticks any longer.

Hemorrhoids?  Shouldn't they be called Assteroids?

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.

If you suck at playing the trumpet, that may be why.

Dogs can't take MRI's but Cat scan.

Filed: Timeline

Really, you can email the embassy about such matters? If we had to pick a time for her to come, it would be 6 months after my fiance.

I have a dumb question and don't want to start a new thread since it seems embarrassingly stupid. Will my fiance need a translator when she goes for her interview in Colombia, or should I expect that the embassy people are bilingual?

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
Really, you can email the embassy about such matters? If we had to pick a time for her to come, it would be 6 months after my fiance.

I have a dumb question and don't want to start a new thread since it seems embarrassingly stupid. Will my fiance need a translator when she goes for her interview in Colombia, or should I expect that the embassy people are bilingual?

Generally Consular officers are able to conduct interviews in the local language but they will want to know how the two of you communicate. If you speak Spanish, it's a no brainer. If not, she should be prepared to explain how you communicate with each other.

The AOS interview will be in English, however so if a translator is needed, it's your responsibility to bring one.

Edited by pushbrk

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Oh, this is what I was looking for. I have my interview scheduled for May 13th, (YES!!), but my son, who is 12 is included in the petition as a 'follow to join mother', under a K2, as he is living with his dad now and we wanted him to finish the school year in Brazil, before joining me - I'm hoping to move asap after I get my visa!

I've emailed the Rio's consulate asking if we should get his medicals and if he had to be present in my interview. They replied very quickly, saying no, no need to pay for his visa fee, or get his medicals or being there for my interview as he is not traveling with me at this point.

But I'm a bit confused about when would they schedule an interview for him. I have all the paper work done, but the medicals and I wanted to leave everything ready for when his time comes to go and get his K2 visa.

Any comments on that? I appreciate any help! :wacko:

Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Naturalization approved: 04-02-2013

Oath ceremony: 04-24-2013

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.