LemonLime

K1 troubles, looking for help.

23 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

To start things off I will tell you a little about myself.

I am probably one of (if not the) youngest person on here. I will just be turning 18 this year.

I have been with my fiance for just about 2 years now. He lives in the USA I live in Canada.

I just got off the phone with a lawyer who would not take the case simply because he doesn't believe in it. Sure that sounds like a good enough reason, but the only reasons he doesn't believe in it is because of our age and he questions the validity (in short, age,money, and he thinks we aren't really committed , when you take out the fancy side stepping lingo, thats what it comes down to). - a very unfair assumption in my opinion.

So I figured if I want to get answers, this would be the place to start. (what better place then to talk to people going through the same thing.) My goal is to get as much information as humanly possible before starting the process this January (if all goes well). Any tips would be much appreciated.

I know it is POSSIBLE to do this on your own without legal assistance, but how challenging is that?

To be honest this whole process has me now slightly overwhelmed. I never expected to find a lawyer who wouldn't take a case just based on that.

I have done a lot of research on the process, but I still have some unanswered questions.

Does anyone know the minimum financial requirement my fiance would have to make in order to sponsor me? (anyone know anything about the co-signing option?)

( I have heard you need income tax forms for the past 3 or 5 years? what if you don't have them for that long? I haven't been working since I was 13).

What type of primary evidence is required? and how much?

I have saved things like boarding passes, some itineraries, and we could always take more photos when we see each other next (this summer). Anything else that might be helpful?

Edited by LemonLime

-+> Sarah

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

When the time comes for the money situation maybe someone could be the sponsor to help, there is a chart somewhere that outlines the requirements per household hopefully someone will share tht with you and yes you can do this without a lawyer good you are studying up now

TIMELINE

04/04/2007 K1 Interview from H...w/the devil herself

06/12/2007 Rec'd Notification Case Now Back In Calif. only to expire

-------------

11/20/2007 Married in Morocco

02/23/2008 Mailed CR1 application today

03/08/2008 NOA1 Notice Recd (notice date 3/4/08)

08/26/2008 File transfered fr Vermont to Calif

10/14/2008 APPROVALLLLLLLLLLLL

10/20/2008 Recd hard copy NOA2

10/20/2008 NVC Recd case

11/21/2008 CASE COMPLETE

01/15/2009 INTERVIEW

01/16/2009 VISA IN HAND

01/31/2009 ARRIVED OKC

BE WHO YOU ARE AND SAY WHAT YOU FEEL, BECAUSE THOSE WHO MIND DONT MATTER AND THOSE WHO MATTER DONT MIND

YOU CANT CHANGE THE PAST BUT YOU CAN RUIN THE PRESENT BY WORRYING OVER THE FUTURE

TRIP.... OVER LOVE, AND YOU CAN GET UP

FALL.... IN LOVE, AND YOU FALL FOREVER

I DO HAVE THE RIGHT TO REMAIN SILENT, JUST NOT THE ABILITY

LIKE THE MEASLES, LOVE IS MOST DANGEROUS WHEN IT COMES LATER IN LIFE

LIFE IS NOT THE WAY ITS SUPPOSED TO BE, ITS THE WAY IT IS

I MAY NOT BE WHERE I WANT TO BE BUT IM SURE NOT WHERE I WAS

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Start by clicking on the word "Guides" at the top of any page. It's the US Citizen that sponsors and provides tax returns, not the foreigner.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

First of all visit the guides tab at the top and see what you need to do.

You will definately need a sponsor at the financial part. That's a ways down the road.

You will need evidence that you two have met within the last 2 years. That's your primary evidence. The rest of what you need will be listed in the guides I mentioned above.

Your age is only a detriment if you allow it to be. However, you do have to wait till you are 18 to file. He is at least 18 also, correct?

If I were you, I would do it myself unless there are some kind of complications. Lawyers usually just do what you can do yourself.

Good luck to you.

Start by clicking on the word "Guides" at the top of any page. It's the US Citizen that sponsors and provides tax returns, not the foreigner.

Whoops....I missed that she was the foreigner.

Still, it may be good advice if he is in the same situation.

Life's just a crazy ride on a run away train

You can't go back for what you've missed

So make it count, hold on tight find a way to make it right

You only get one trip

So make it good, make it last 'cause it all flies by so fast

You only get one trip

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

I am probably one of (if not the) youngest person on here. I will just be turning 18 this year.

I have been with my fiance for just about 2 years now. He lives in the USA I live in Canada.

I just got off the phone with a lawyer who would not take the case simply because he doesn't believe in it. Sure that sounds like a good enough reason, but the only reasons he doesn't believe in it is because of our age and he questions the validity (in short, age,money, and he thinks we aren't really committed , when you take out the fancy side stepping lingo, thats what it comes down to). - a very unfair assumption in my opinion.

So I figured if I want to get answers, this would be the place to start. (what better place then to talk to people going through the same thing.) My goal is to get as much information as humanly possible before starting the process this January (if all goes well). Any tips would be much appreciated.

I know it is POSSIBLE to do this on your own without legal assistance, but how challenging is that?

To be honest this whole process has me now slightly overwhelmed. I never expected to find a lawyer who wouldn't take a case just based on that.

I have done a lot of research on the process, but I still have some unanswered questions.

Does anyone know the minimum financial requirement my fiance would have to make in order to sponsor me? (anyone know anything about the co-signing option?)

( I have heard you need income tax forms for the past 3 or 5 years? what if you don't have them for that long? I haven't been working since I was 13).

What type of primary evidence is required? and how much?

I have saved things like boarding passes, some itineraries, and we could always take more photos when we see each other next (this summer). Anything else that might be helpful?

Eventually it will be something in the neighborhood of 125% of the current published poverty level. You as the alien fiancee will not have to produce tax returns buit it will be the USC. Many times one year tax return plus current year earnings (pay stub) will suffice.

The USCIS will not "fuss" about your ages as long as you are of "marriage age" or have parental permission. The consulate may or may not, but that is when you have the additional opportunity to demonstrate a bonafide relationship. No lawyer can do that for you BTW... i

YMMV

Just wanted to say that the majority of people on VJ do this without the assistance of a lawyer.

It's easy and can be done when you read the guides, get everything organize and keep focused.

You are young so, you may have a few challenges ahead of you *but* if you have a bona fide relationship and can prove it, you should have no problems filing on your own with the help of your fiance.

When it comes to the income, your fiance must make 125% over the poverty line for the number of people in the household.

Click Here for the chart.

They would need your fiance's income taxes from the last 3 years, not yours. Your income does not really matter to the USCIS or the Embassy where you have your interview, what matters is the fact that your U.S. Fiance has enough means to sponsor for you.

Everything you need to know is in the guides at the top (See the top tab that says Guides) Start where it says BEGIN HERE in red letters.

Read everything, take a break then read more...you'll be fine.

Welcome to VJ (F)

Let's Keep the Song Going!!!

CANADA.GIFUS1.GIF

~Laura and Nicholas~

IMG_1315.jpg

Met online November 2005 playing City of Heroes

First met in Canada, Sept 22, 2006 <3

September 2006 to March 2008, 11 visits, 5 in Canada, 6 in NJ

Officially Engaged December 24th, 2007!!!

Moved to the U.S. to be with my baby on July 19th, 2008 on a K1 visa!!!!

***10 year green card in hand as of 2/2/2012, loving and living life***

Hmmm maybe we should move back to Canada! lol smile.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

The guides here are wonderful and unless your case is extremely complicated or you are unable to make sense of the forms there is really no need to have legal help to go through a straight-forward process.

Though it is possible that you may undergo more scrutiny at the interview stage due to your youth, all you need to demonstrate is a genuine committed relationship with a desire to get married just the same as everyone else.

Read through the guides and thoroughly document your time together so that you have ample proof of an ongoing relationship.

You should be just fine!

Settling into married life

Waiting on the EAD, AP, and AOS

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline

To be honest this whole process has me now slightly overwhelmed. I never expected to find a lawyer who wouldn't take a case just based on that. My best advice is to read the guides ( K1 Guides ) and then decide whether you can handle the paperwork. Most people on VJ follow the guides and have no problems with the process.

Does anyone know the minimum financial requirement my fiance would have to make in order to sponsor me? (anyone know anything about the co-signing option?) Check out the ( 2008 Poverty Guidelines ), those are the monetary requirements your fiance has to meet. If not, then you can get a cosponsor (either a US citizen or legal permanent resident) who meets the guidelines to sponsor you. This information is not required until the interview.

( I have heard you need income tax forms for the past 3 or 5 years? what if you don't have them for that long? I haven't been working since I was 13). Tax information is not needed from the beneficiary, only from the petitioner. If there is a reason the petitioner does not have tax returns then they should state that when filling out the I-134.

What type of primary evidence is required? and how much? Primary evidence: boarding passes, ticket stubs, credit card receipts, hotel/other receipts, passport stamps. Provide as much as you can to prove without a shadow of a doubt that the 2 of you have met once in the past 2 years.

I have saved things like boarding passes, some itineraries, and we could always take more photos when we see each other next (this summer). Anything else that might be helpful? Pictures are considered secondary evidence. You can include a couple in your initial petition but I would save the bulk for the interview. In our case we did not include any pictures and we were approved with no problems. Stuff like boarding passes and itineraries will go much further in establishing that you have met in the required time frame.

Don't worry about what the lawyer said. It is up to you to prove to the CO that you have a valid relationship. They cannot deny you on age, but you want to make sure that you have a lot of evidence to back up your claims that you have a true, bonafide relationship.

Good luck :)

Mama to 2 beautiful boys (August 2011 and January 2015)

Click for full timeline

You definitely shouldn't have trouble doing this without a lawyer. I'd say, like those before me, that your biggest concern will be assembling all the proof you can that your relationship is valid. Beyond that, you really shouldn't struggle at all. This site walks you through pretty much every part of the process, so unless you have some strange complication in your case that you haven't mentioned, there really is no reason to hire a lawyer.

Long story short, we have a complicated case. We've been at this for nearly 5 years. You can read our story here. I highly recommend our attorney Laurel Scott, as well as attorneys Laura Fernandez and Lizz Cannon .

Filed I-130 via CSC in Feb 2008. Petition approved June 2008. Consular interview in Mexico, Oct 2008, visa denied, INA 212a6cii. We allege improper application of the law in this case.

2012, started over in Seoul: I-130 filed DCF on 7/2, I-130 approved 8/8, Medical at Yonsei Severance 11/20, IR1 appointment in November 2012.

CRBA filed 1-3-13 at Seoul for our daughter

4MLHm5.pngCzLqp9.png

You can find me at

Immigrate2us.net as Los G :)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Hungary
Timeline

Welcome to Visa Journey. Look at all the help available. The Guide tab up at the top of this website and all the members who are more than willing to help out.

Ignore what your lawyer has to say about the case. You don't need a lawyer with the help of Visa Journey. All of it can be done under your own power.

Good luck in the process.

Our Relationship

(09-27-06)Met in Hungary

(11-25-06)Fell in Love

(11-24-07)Met again in Hungary

(02-19-08)Met again in Hungary

K1 Visa Petition

(09-27-07)Preparing to send K1 Petition

(12-03-07)K1 Petition Sent US Postal Service

(12-11-07)Received NOA 1

(12-28-07)Touched

(03-11-08)Recieved NOA 2

(03-21-08)Recieved at NVC

(03-27-08)Sent from NVC

(04-02-08)Received Packet 3

(04-27-08)Medical Completed

(05-15-08)Received Packet 4

(05-29-08)Interview Date

(05-29-08)Visa given 40 mins after approval

(06-02-08)Arrival at the JFK and EAD given

Timeline

haha no strange complication.

How we are talking about proceeding with the process is so that the application acceptance is timed with my graduating high school.

that way there wont be that weird time where yeah you could get a job, but you would only be working for a few months, if that so it wouldn't really make sense to.

the other thought there is that that way I can hopefully be accepted to move down there, get a job, work for a year or so and then do my post secondary down there. (yay no need to worry about how credentials will transfer over!)

Can the co-signer be anyone? or does it have to be someone related to him?

is it common to run into a lot of obstacles?

I have read in great detail all of the guides and info available on this site. (Id just like to quickly add - Thank you to everyone who has posted a reply! Any advice about possible challenges and such is much appreciated, not to mention as restored a great deal of my hope! :D )

What would be the most convincing proof of a valid relationship?

Of course we are going to have boarding passes, and photos, itineraries, (no hotel receipts because we stayed with his family). But what else would be really convincing? (We don't have stamps in passports because i am just going from Canada to the US, they never stamp just for a visit. Or is it possible to ask for a stamp?)

-+> Sarah

Timeline
haha no strange complication.

How we are talking about proceeding with the process is so that the application acceptance is timed with my graduating high school.

that way there wont be that weird time where yeah you could get a job, but you would only be working for a few months, if that so it wouldn't really make sense to.

the other thought there is that that way I can hopefully be accepted to move down there, get a job, work for a year or so and then do my post secondary down there. (yay no need to worry about how credentials will transfer over!)

Can the co-signer be anyone? or does it have to be someone related to him?

is it common to run into a lot of obstacles?

I have read in great detail all of the guides and info available on this site. (Id just like to quickly add - Thank you to everyone who has posted a reply! Any advice about possible challenges and such is much appreciated, not to mention as restored a great deal of my hope! :D )

What would be the most convincing proof of a valid relationship?

Of course we are going to have boarding passes, and photos, itineraries, (no hotel receipts because we stayed with his family). But what else would be really convincing? (We don't have stamps in passports because i am just going from Canada to the US, they never stamp just for a visit. Or is it possible to ask for a stamp?)

When do you graduate high school? May 2009?

YMMV

Timeline

If i wanted to I could graduate in January. I do all of my courses online.

We are talking about me doing next semester (because he is coming up here for summer), and then when I have my break between semesters (Jan/Feb 09) we would start the process and hopefully send off the completed I-129 F package/form.

That way if it takes 4 months to go through great, if it takes 6 thats fine too. I would have plenty of time to finish school and go down there withing the 6 months.

-+> Sarah

Timeline
If i wanted to I could graduate in January. I do all of my courses online.

We are talking about me doing next semester (because he is coming up here for summer), and then when I have my break between semesters (Jan/Feb 09) we would start the process and hopefully send off the completed I-129 F package/form.

That way if it takes 4 months to go through great, if it takes 6 thats fine too. I would have plenty of time to finish school and go down there withing the 6 months.

Depends on where you live and where the USC lives... If your fiance lives in the region served by CSC then it is nearly 5 months just to clear USCIS. If you live in a region served by the Montreal consulate you can add a significant amount more time (4-6 mos) before you even have your interview. I wasn't kidding with the May 2009 and that means petition submission fairly soon (not after the summer or in Jan/Feb 2009).

Edited by fwaguy

YMMV

Timeline

Yeah, I am not to worried about processing time. I live in Calgary, so I believe I would go through Vancouver?

There is an American Consulate in the city, but do they process visas?

I am more concerned at this point about having it accepted, not so much the time it is going to take.

-+> Sarah

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.