forgiven

Questions about my visit to the Philippines

60 posts in this topic

my thoughts to you is go to the US Embassy and register yourself as a tourist staying in the Philippines..

I beleive that can be done online.

here's an online link

http://manila.usembassy.gov/wwwha020.html

US Embassy Manila website. bringing your spouse/fiancee to USA

http://manila.usembassy.gov/wwwh3204.html

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Call your doctor and inquire about travel shots, in my state one goes to a travel clinic to get the prefered shots for a given country. Also these travel clinics also give you information about the nearest modern hospitals to Phil, in case some serious happens. I think the closest, most modern hospitals are Singapore and Hongkong.

My motto, be prepared so you don't have to worry! :thumbs:

I agree... Tell your doctor about your upcoming trip so he/she could give you the proper travel shots. My then fiance (now husband) got sick when he came back from the Philippines the first time he visited me. He was so miserable because he caught some kind of bugs (virus) from mosquito bites and other air-borne viruses. The second time he visited me, he went to see his doctors first and gave him some shots. He was also given doxycyline that he had to take everyday while he was in PI. It worked because he didn't get sick when he went home. As for water, instead of using ice cubes to make your water icy cold, put your bottled water in a cooler filled with ice. Or semi-freeze them and then keep them in a cooler.

i remember when my husband and i were having groceries in SM and he smelled the durian, he said what the #### is that smell (take note: we were still a bit far away in the fruit section)lol! i told him that yeah it smells bad but they say it taste good. i haven't tried durian too but the durian candy is kinda ok for me.
This made me :rofl: I tried a bit of durian and it was as awful tasting as it is smelling. I only tried a bit of durian ice cream (cuz my sweetheart forced it in my mouth) and that tasted okay, but even the ice cream smells bad like something rotting. Hehehe

I laughed at your post cuz I can picture myself saying that too. :lol:

Scott

For durian eaters like me, Durian smells like hell but taste like heaven :innocent: ... but it does need getting used to. :star:

I believe liking durian is an acquired taste. I tried the candied ones and still not so fond of it. When my husband and I were watching Bizarre Foods with Andrew Zimmern, he asked me what's wrong with the fruit for Andrew Zimmern to puke everytime he would try it, I told him "Sorry hon, I don't know coz I have never tried that fruit. But according to others who liked it, it tastes very, very good if you can ignore the foul odor". :P We have oriental store here that sells durian and I always ask him if he's up to trying it. He's answer? "Heck no!" No offense meant to durian lovers here... (F)

my thoughts to you is go to the US Embassy and register yourself as a tourist staying in the Philippines..

I beleive that can be done online.

here's an online link

http://manila.usembassy.gov/wwwha020.html

This one is good too... :thumbs: I just registered my husband for our planned trip back to PI. No matter what happens, you have the USEM to help you out in cases like stolen passport, violated rights as a tourist, etc.

--Mae

Edited by David-Mae Forever

N-400 NATURALIZATION

04/04/2011 - Mailed N-400 to AZ Lockbox

04/06/2011 - Received

04/07/2011 - NOA

04/07/2011 - Check cashed

04/14/2011 - Biometrics appointment in the mail

04/21/2011 - Early Biometrics (was scheduled on May 4, 2011)

05/09/2011 - Case Status Notification - In line for interview and testing

05/10/2011 - Case Status Notification - Interview scheduled

05/14/2011 - Interview Appointment Letter in the mail

06/21/2011 - Interview Appointment Date

06/29/2011 - Case Status Notification - Placed in the oath scheduling que

08/16/2011 - Case Status Notification - Oath ceremony scheduled

09/15/2011 - Oath Taking - good riddance!

09/23/2011 - Applied for Passport

10/08/2011 - Passport in the mail

10/17/2011 - Certificate of Naturalization in the mail -- OFFICIALLY DONE!

"Love is a noble act of self-giving, offering trust, faith, and loyalty.

The more you love, the more you lose a part of yourself, yet you don't become less of who you are;

you end up being complete with your loved ones."

pls don't flaunt that "all muslims are.... and... they are jealous of americans" thinking that you have... not for any Muslims and not for any Filipino.... it is soooo... well, i'm just recalling what some of my friends who are working/have worked on call centers said :whistle:

i worked in call centers.. i know what u mean.. :lol:

"i don't know much about love but i know that i love him.."

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
forgiven, don't worry too much, fleur will have you covered. It is too bad i was not able to meet her yet but we did exchanged text messages and she already have a planned itinerary of the places she wants you to visit and the hotel that you will be staying in just opened last year so I am positive it would still be in perfect state and would be clean.

Just try to have fun and enjoy Davao and don't ever leave without trying our durian and mangosteen.

I hope to be able to meet you and Fleur when I get back from the interview... and I hope and pray that when you and Fleur meet face to face for the first time, the online magic will be there stronger and more real just like it was and will always be for me and my Ricky. :thumbs:

Have a safe trip, good luck to both of you and may God give you guidance and wisdom always.

Main thing is to stay in Davao [fairly safe] and don't travel North. Like to South Cotobato!!! Muslims and Abu "eat" puti there!
It may not be nice to say, but it's probably the truth.

ABU Sayaf (Al Queada Trained) and Muslims are my two main concerns in PI.

They are jealous of Americans, and part of thier religous training is to kill Americans.

If I had to go to a dangerous area, I would hire an armed PNP officer to bodygaurd me.

tallcoolone: pls do not generalize all Muslims. I am a Christian but my sister's husband is muslim which makes my nephew and my niece muslims also and I have several Muslims close friends that is why I AM PERSONALLY OFFENDED BY YOUR NEGATIVE GENERALIZATION OF ALL MUSLIMS.

Least you are not aware, THERE ARE SEVERAL MILLIONS AMERICANS WHO ARE MUSLIMS ALSO.

pls don't flaunt that "all muslims are.... and... they are jealous of americans" thinking that you have... not for any Muslims and not for any Filipino.... it is soooo... well, i'm just recalling what some of my friends who are working/have worked on call centers said :whistle:

Religions just like ice cream, are just "flavors" but we are all equal in the eyes of God. I lived in Davao for 4 years, had friends from the muslim community, my eldest daughter's Godfather on her baptism in the Catholic church is a muslim. We had very nice experiences with them and been like a family to us. Hire a PNP? PAHINGI NG PERA? :rofl: Oh yes, they'll be very fast. Not generalizing, I have uncles in that field of work, haha!

Our Medical Experience

K1/K2 Interview Experience

glitterfy-flpbk9170423469534.gif

AOS/EAD/AP

09/11/09 *** Mailed to Chicago Lockbox

09/12/09 *** Received/signed by R.Mercado

09/17/09 *** NOA1 (AOS/EAD/AP)

09/21/09 *** NOA1 Hardcopy received (AOS/EAD/AP)

09/24/09 *** Biometrics Appointment Letter Rcvd 10/19, 11am

09/29/09 *** Appt. to correct typographic name error (referred for biometrics..done)

10/06/09 *** RFE: Form 1040 of recent tax yr

10/20/09 *** Processing resumed

10/21/09 *** Touched (AOS/EAD/AP)

10/22/09 *** Touched (AOS/EAD/AP)

10/27/09 *** Transferred to CSC (AOS)

10/28/09 *** Touched(AOS)

10/29/09 *** Notices sent: EAD card production, AP approved

10/30/09 *** Touched (EAD/AP)

11/02/09 *** Touched (AOS: processing resumes at CSC)

11/02/09 *** Touched (AP)

11/03/09 *** Touched (AP)

11/04/09 *** AP approval letter received

11/03/09 *** Card production (EAD)

11/04/09 *** Touched (AOS)

11/05/09 *** Touched (EAD)

11/06/09 *** Touched (AOS)

11/07/09 *** EAD Card received

12/07/09 *** Welcome Notice mailed

12/08/09 *** Card production (AOS)

12/10/09 *** Approval notice mailed

12/12/09 *** GREEN CARD received

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi There,

I know quite a few kind people already replied. I can let you know my experiences as I worked in Cebu City for three years as an Ex Pat. I traveled throughout the Phils in those three years and never had any issues.

Items to note pertaining to your questions:

Airlines have a 3-3-1 policy. If you carry on your luggage you are allowed no more than 3 ounces of liquids. They will confiscate if you have more. You will need to take them out of your carry on when you enter and have them in a zip lock type bag. If you check your luggage you can take whatever you like in liquid form.

Money- They have currency booths. I do not recomend the airport as your exchange rate may not be as good. You will need to exchange a little just to get to and from once in Davao. I had no issues using my ATM card there. I was never ripped off or anything. Once again, you may not get the best rate as you usually lose 1 peso plus a $2 service fee.....

You pay your exit fee when leaving the Philippines. I take it you are staying under the 21 days so just make sure you have your return ticket as they will ask you for the proof you are not going to over-stay.

Keep all your money/wallet in your front pocket. They are good at pick-pocketing. Be aware of anything that causes you to divert your attention. Example a fight or something. These are sometimes staged to create distractions so another person working with them can snatch your wallet.

Make an extra copy or two of your passport. If you are staying in a hotel use your in room safe for your passport. Just keep a copy with you. Trust me I was there 3 years and never was asked for my passport. DO NOT let your fiancee's family keep your passport. I had a buddy that his fiancee's aunt kept it and would not give it back unless he gave her 5k pesos when he left. NOt all are bad just becareful.

Now as for Davao. You are venturing to the island of Mindanao. In the southern end of Mindanao is where the Abu Saif rebels are. If you stay in the Davao area you will be fine. The Mayor there has done a great job of cleaning up the city. It is a nice city BTW. He does not tolerate thiefs and was in trouble by the government at one time for the way he treated repeat law breakers. Enough said there. He wants tourism so you should be safe.

I can say I have riden my Harley all over the Philippines. I was in Manila, Drove myself to Baguio (Northern Luzon) along with Bolhol, Cebu and Boracay. No problems ever. None. Only problem was wrecking my other bike (LOL). I still have scars on my legs.

As you exit Davao there will be a (was) 200p terminal fee and then Manila zaps you with around 1000 pesos. I am sure it went up since I was there just in November.

As for ice and drinking water. NO to tap water unless you are in an expensive restaraunt. I mean so expensive you will say "this is USA prices". Then the water is safe due to foreigners and wealthy filipinos eating there. Ice too. If you are at other places, be cautious and use bottled. Depending on your hotel I would use bottled water to rinse and for your toothbrush. If you are staying at a 4 or 5 star you are good to go. Just don't swallow the tap water.

Tell your doctor where you are going. He can prescribe you meds that will clear you up in 24 hours just in case you eat or drink something bad.

For first timers visting I recomend chicken, fish and pork. It is not impolite to ask them if the beef is local... If local stay away.

You will have a blast.

I would not ride a jeepnee until you feel comfortbable. Taxi's are cheap there for us and safer....... Ask before you get in the taxi if they have a meter working or else you will pay double or triple and make his day. I have gotten out of taxis in Manila as he would not use the meter.

Be patient as the Philippines takes the long way to do everything. God forbide your fiancee want to take you shopping. Mark one day off your calendar if she does.

Timeline
Money- They have currency booths. I do not recomend the airport as your exchange rate may not be as good. You will need to exchange a little just to get to and from once in Davao. I had no issues using my ATM card there. I was never ripped off or anything. Once again, you may not get the best rate as you usually lose 1 peso plus a $2 service fee.....

I was planning on buying a prepaid visa/master card but i could only find a prepaid American express which cannot be used in ATM's, so I will bring a visa credit card with me instead. I don't feel comfortable bringing my visa debit card since it is directly connected to my checking account. How much cash in American money and pesos do you think I should have on me as I fly into Manila and then into Davao?

Make an extra copy or two of your passport. If you are staying in a hotel use your in room safe for your passport

So you trust the hotel room safes? The new hotel I'm staying in has the electronic key entry and in room safe

As for ice and drinking water. NO to tap water unless you are in an expensive restaraunt. I mean so expensive you will say "this is USA prices". Then the water is safe due to foreigners and wealthy filipinos eating there. Ice too. If you are at other places, be cautious and use bottled. Depending on your hotel I would use bottled water to rinse and for your toothbrush. If you are staying at a 4 or 5 star you are good to go. Just don't swallow the tap water.

I will be staying in the Microtel Hotel in Davao which is less than a year old. My g/f went and looked at the rooms and said they are very clean and nice. I was told that the water in Davao is treated and the 5th safest in the United Nations. Anyway, I was planning on taking a shower daily in the hotel and it seems you don't recommend that? Also where can i get my clothes washed. The hotel I believe offers cleaning services but I wonder where they get them cleaned?

Tell your doctor where you are going. He can prescribe you meds that will clear you up in 24 hours just in case you eat or drink something bad.

I purchased a diarrhea kit from the place that gave me my vaccines. I was given a typhoid, hepatitis A and B shots plus I have to take Doxycycline just in case a Malaria infected mosquito bites me.

Be patient as the Philippines takes the long way to do everything. God forbide your fiancee want to take you shopping. Mark one day off your calendar if she does.

Yes I have noticed that especially getting a package delivered that I have sent to her. Letters get there in about 9 days but the box I sent at hasn't arrived yet even though I sent it the same time as the letter.

I stay in the Regency Hotel in Davao.

It has American size room and bathroom with full size shower, with plenty of hot water.

Very Nice Rooms, Big King size Beds, New Air Con that work by remote control, Cable TV, Wireless Internet, and it is priced right. 1,200 peso to 1,600 peso.

Plus they have room service and it's dirt cheap for good food. I think a club sandwich is like a buck fifty.

http://www.regencyinndavao.com/

Edited by tallcoolone

youregonnalovemynutsf.jpg

"He always start the fire here in VJ thread and I believe all people will agree with me about it"

PAHINGI NG PERA?

What does that translate to in English?

"He always start the fire here in VJ thread and I believe all people will agree with me about it"

i worked in call centers.. i know what u mean.. :lol:

i can surely relate to that!!! worked as a home agent (call center type) for a month and i just cant stomach it lol... not all of course (lets be fair to those who're nice) but its just tough $h!+ :whistle:

Citizenship N-400

4/15/2010- sent my N-400 via fedex overnight

4/16/2010- signed and delivered

4/29/2010- check cleared

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
PAHINGI NG PERA?

can i have money :D

My son named Zac

"My son's smile makes my day complete"

zac-1.jpg

VErqm5.png

MY K3 TIMELINE purple4.gifVid of how I prepared my interview documents purple.gifPapers that I brought on my USEM interview

AOS TIMELINE

06.17.2010 - submitted our papers

06.19.2010 - papers arrived at Chicago lockbox

06.24.2010 - Check cashed

06.28.2010 - NOA1 Hardcopy received (9 days from the day they got our papers)

07.05.2010 - Received Biometrics Schedule (July 26)

08.05.2010 - Biometrics done! (had to re-schedule from 7/26 to 8/5)

08.13.2010 - Got my interview letter

08.20.2010 - EAD card on production

09.06.2010 - Got my EAD Card (62 days)

09.07.2010 - Applied for SSN

09.14.2010 - SSN Card received

09.16.2010 - Interview schedule (APPROVED)

09.20.2010 - Welcome Notice Received ("Welcome to the USA")

09.25.2010 - 10 yr Green Card received! (98 days)

PAHINGI NG PERA?

can i have money :D

Thanks You for your help.

Like you, my fiancee and I drank bottled/filtered water. I wouldn't recommend drinking out of any taps but that's my policy here in the U.S. also, water quality is sketchy everywhere. :blush:

Actually here in the USA tap water is safer than bottled water. Of course only bottled/filtered water in the Philippines. Even then you still can get Traveler's Diarrhea like I did...finally over that over a week and a half of hell.

My Visa Journey

Removal of Conditions

03/11/11 - Sent I-751

03/14/11 - I-751 Received

03/14/11 - NOA

04/13/11 - Biometrics

05/31/11 - Approved!

06/04/11 - 10 Year Green Card Received!

AOS

07/13/08 - Wedding

08/13/08 - Sent AOS

08/19/08 - NOA for AOS and EAD

11/21/08 - EAD Received (100 days)

04/14/09 - Interview (224 days)

04/25/09 - Green Card Received!

I-129F

09/13/07 - Sent I-129F

11/06/07 - NOA1 (54 days)

02/04/08 - NOA2 (144 days)

04/16/08 - Interview! (216 days)

04/29/08 - Visa delayed.

05/12/08 - Visa on hand! (242 days)

05/20/08 - US Entry

hvV4m7.png

Timeline
Even then you still can get Traveler's Diarrhea like I did...finally over that over a week and a half of hell.

I had that 4 1/2 weeks here, probably from ice tea and ice cubes...shellfish and other things. I'm all tough and exempt from those ailments (LOL). Now I read up on local herbs and such and already had Bhing acquire them and asked her to prepare some before I arrive. Tawa Tawa and cats claw are 2 that cure travelers diarrhea.

I-129F mailed 12-17-2007

Received at CSC 12-18-2007

NOA1 December 19 2007

NOA2 April 30 2008

NVC sent packet to Manila May 12 2008

Interview set for June 18

Visa Denial, Contested & Approved

PDOS June 23

Flight to USA June 26

Arrival at DTW Visa accepted

Welcome to America!!!

Married 07/18/2008

Applied SS 07/22/09

Applied AOS around same time

Very happily married

EAD received Sept.

AP received Sept

No RFE's ...??

AOS Appointment 04-02-2009

AOS approved! Green card to be sent 3-6 weeks

Like you, my fiancee and I drank bottled/filtered water. I wouldn't recommend drinking out of any taps but that's my policy here in the U.S. also, water quality is sketchy everywhere. :blush:

Actually here in the USA tap water is safer than bottled water. Of course only bottled/filtered water in the Philippines. Even then you still can get Traveler's Diarrhea like I did...finally over that over a week and a half of hell.

Just like in Mexico or Philippines, you can buy Lomitol (prescription in USA) over the counter and it will take care of diarrhea in a day or so.

I drink the water, ice cubes, in all parts PI that I have been too.

Stay hydrated drink "absolut" water. It is distilled and comes in a bottle with a green label. As far as I know that is safest water to drink. If your honey has a water filter at her home ok try it but drink gradually. bring a "hanky " with you(ie small hand towel or washcloth to use when u get sweaty u can wipe ur face) (thats the cool thing to do so u arent all sweaty.... bring an anti-diahhreal loperamidene??. I took several trips and the 1st time I was there I got really sick ....I don't need to go into details, LOLand drug stores can be croweded(at least in Metro Manila) so take some tablets with you you can get in any drustore over counter in United States. If you do get sick drink VERY hot tea! Remember there is a money changer after you get ur bags t MNL airport, I think to your right after the baggage claims. It is best to get cash cuz it is a cash economy and don't get big bills either cuz if you have a $1000 peso bill or whatever or $500peso ( I dont remember the denominations) people will either act like the dont have the change for you or cant break the bill or whatever , smaller denominations are better....take some aspirins with you, etc. Good luck and have fun!!!! Try all the food, it's great! :star:

mailed out aos and ead 7/13/2007

aol and ead packet received per usps 7/16/2007

checks cashed 07/26/07

noa 1 FOR EAD RECEIVED 07/27/07

noa 1 for aos received 07/28/07

biometrics 08/15/07

ead card ordered 09/20/07!!!!

ead card received 10/01/07! finally!

aos case transferred to California Service Center 10/03/07!

received "Welcome to the United States of America I-797 11/05/07!(dated 10/30/07)!

Permanent Resident card received 11/05/07 (dated 10/31/07)! THank u LorD!

Will file for 10 year GC End of July/Early August 2009!

Removal of Conditions:

Mailed I-751 overnight mail to Vermont Service Center 09/10/09

VSC received the I-751 Packet 09/11/09 About 12 pm Local time

Check was cashed as of Sept 16th 2009

NOA Received 09/19/09 dated 09/14/09

I-797 Appointment Notice received 10/01/09 dated 09/25/09 (Biometrics)

Got they 10 year GC approval letter in the mail dated 01/08/10! yehey!

10 GREENCARD RECEIVED 01/20/10

Citizenship.......maybe............or maybe stay a permanent resident .......................

6771903_bodyshot_300x400.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.