Ricca711

Police Certificates

15 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

Hello All,

This question is probably being asked out of panic, so bare with me. I was reading the last post about police certificates and started to wonder if Samuel had all of his. He lived in Amersterdam, Netherlands for one year. He told me that the Consular will request it directly from the Ministry of Justice in the Netherlands. I just called the Ministry of Justice and no one there speaks English. I searched back to Zee's scan of packet 3 and 4. It clearly states that the consular will assist in securing police certicifcates that are "unobtainable". So, of course I am thinking if that is the case....doesnt that automatically set you up for denial or AP?

Thanks in Advance for your responses,

Erika

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline

Only the consulate can request for a police certificate from the Netherlands:

Police Cerificates

Available. Police records can only be requested for immigrant visa applicants by the United States Consulate or Embassy where the applicant's case is being processed. Any certificate presented directly by applicants cannot be accepted. To request a police record, the visa processing post should send an email to the Consulate General in Amsterdam at ImmigrantVisasAMS@state.gov. The request must include:

• Applicant's full name(s) including aliases:
  • Date, city/town and country of birth;
  • Complete address of last residence in The Netherlands.
The Consulate General in Amsterdam may need up to 15 working days to obtain the certificate, provided there is no derogatory information concerning the applicant. If there is derogatory information it may take up to five weeks.

The certificate, which is in the Dutch language, covers criminal investigations only. Criminal records are expunged after a number of years, depending on the offense, following termination of the case (i.e., after service of any prison sentence) provided no other offense is committed in the interim. Police records may, therefore, not constitute a full summary of criminal records. Applicants with a criminal history can obtain their own conviction record from the sentencing court.

These certificates may be used only in processing immigrant visa applications and may not be given to the applicant or to any private individual. The visa applicant may not be informed of the source of any derogatory information contained in the police certificate.

Source: http://travel.state.gov/visa/frvi/reciproc...ocity_3634.html

If the police certificate has not been obtained by the interview date the CO will delay issuing the visa until they have it. They will not deny the case because of a missing police certificate that they have to request.

Mama to 2 beautiful boys (August 2011 and January 2015)

Click for full timeline

Timeline
Only the consulate can request for a police certificate from the Netherlands:

Police Cerificates

Available. Police records can only be requested for immigrant visa applicants by the United States Consulate or Embassy where the applicant's case is being processed. Any certificate presented directly by applicants cannot be accepted. To request a police record, the visa processing post should send an email to the Consulate General in Amsterdam at ImmigrantVisasAMS@state.gov. The request must include:

• Applicant's full name(s) including aliases:
  • Date, city/town and country of birth;
  • Complete address of last residence in The Netherlands.
The Consulate General in Amsterdam may need up to 15 working days to obtain the certificate, provided there is no derogatory information concerning the applicant. If there is derogatory information it may take up to five weeks.

The certificate, which is in the Dutch language, covers criminal investigations only. Criminal records are expunged after a number of years, depending on the offense, following termination of the case (i.e., after service of any prison sentence) provided no other offense is committed in the interim. Police records may, therefore, not constitute a full summary of criminal records. Applicants with a criminal history can obtain their own conviction record from the sentencing court.

These certificates may be used only in processing immigrant visa applications and may not be given to the applicant or to any private individual. The visa applicant may not be informed of the source of any derogatory information contained in the police certificate.

Source: http://travel.state.gov/visa/frvi/reciproc...ocity_3634.html

If the police certificate has not been obtained by the interview date the CO will delay issuing the visa until they have it. They will not deny the case because of a missing police certificate that they have to request.

Thanks Zee. I was reading everything right but I guess I just needed some clarification. Was there anyway that we could have avoided this anticipated extra wait. Should I have called the embassy to let them know that Samuel needed a police certificate from the Netherlands? I looked back on our I-129 and the G-325A and all his addresses are listed. So, I am wondering did the post go out of there way to request his certificates since they know we love each other and are waiting to be together. LOL!! I guess that would be too much like right huh? Again, thanks for the clarification.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline

I'm not sure how you could ensure they request the police certificates. I would think that they are familiar with the process and so would get on it ASAP. Then again, we are talking about the Ghana embassy and their noterirty for doing things on their time <_<

I say wait and see what happens at the interview. You may be pleasantly surprised :)

Mama to 2 beautiful boys (August 2011 and January 2015)

Click for full timeline

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Liberia
Timeline

The same thing happened to another member of VJ (her name is Wileastmot). She was married to a Liberian that was living in the Netherlands and she told me that the embassy did all of the work in getting the police cert. You might want to PM her and ask her the details on how it all worked.

Timeline
I'm not sure how you could ensure they request the police certificates. I would think that they are familiar with the process and so would get on it ASAP. Then again, we are talking about the Ghana embassy and their noterirty for doing things on their time <_<

I say wait and see what happens at the interview. You may be pleasantly surprised :)

Is this another case of "African Time"!!! :clock:

Thank for your optimism.

The same thing happened to another member of VJ (her name is Wileastmot). She was married to a Liberian that was living in the Netherlands and she told me that the embassy did all of the work in getting the police cert. You might want to PM her and ask her the details on how it all worked.

Thank you. I will send her a PM right now. Hopefully she is still one of those members that still comes to the website.

Thanks again!!!!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

If it were me I wouldnt leave it to chance I would email them now and ask the embassy. I wouldnt ask if they did their job yet, I would probably play dumb so as to call attention to the situation. You know.....ask "regarding case number XXXXXX how to I go about getting the police certificate or is it something, you, the embassy, has to do because we are dealing with amsterdam" and if they said that is there job then you would ask them if has already been accomplished so they will have everything they did to make a judgment on the day of the interview. Maybe you can get through on phone but I really go nowhere on the phone with them.

03/09/2013: Married

09/10/2013: Sent I-130

09/12/2013: Case Received.

03/04/2014: Petition transferred to Nebraska Service Center.

03/25/2014: I-130 Petition approved

03/28/2014: Petition sent to NVC

04/09/2014: NVC received case

05/08/2014: NVC assigned case number

05/16/2014: Paid AOS fee

10/02/2014: Case Closed

10/10/2014: Interview Date Scheduled

11/17/2014: Interview - APPROVED!!

Which other countries did he live in Europe?

He lived and worked in Amsterdam, Netherlands.

Ok, I am not sure of the Netherlands, but in France and England as long as they received their money and the application they provided the information. My sister-in-law went to the local police station in France and paid for the report then they sent it directly to my SO. England was a little harder and I was able to get an employee there to accept my application and money. They sent it directly to him with a copy to the US Embassy. Can friends or family of your SO help get it ordered and then sent to Ghana? The other thing to take into consideration the reason why he left the Netherlands and went back to Ghana. They may ask about that as my SO was grilled on his life in Europe more than his life back in Africa.

The longer it takes to introduce yourself the less you've actually accomplished

Timeline
If it were me I wouldnt leave it to chance I would email them now and ask the embassy. I wouldnt ask if they did their job yet, I would probably play dumb so as to call attention to the situation. You know.....ask "regarding case number XXXXXX how to I go about getting the police certificate or is it something, you, the embassy, has to do because we are dealing with amsterdam" and if they said that is there job then you would ask them if has already been accomplished so they will have everything they did to make a judgment on the day of the interview. Maybe you can get through on phone but I really go nowhere on the phone with them.

LOL! I am one step ahead Efia. It must be a woman thing, because I was calling before Samuel had a chance to call. I knew the embassy would be closed tomorrow and our interview is Monday. I always get a very nice Ghanaian gentleman, and I wish I could pronounce or type his name so that others going through this process can ask for him. Although he talks really fast, he was very clear with his response and it was exactly what Zee said. They have procedures that they must follow. He even said they are aware of him living in Amsterdam, (which they must have done some research on our case, because I never mentioned that Samuel lived in Amsterdam) and they will assist him with the police certificate. So, it is now all in Gods hands.

Thank you for the advice....please send up a prayer for us.

Timeline

Ok, I am not sure of the Netherlands, but in France and England as long as they received their money and the application they provided the information. My sister-in-law went to the local police station in France and paid for the report then they sent it directly to my SO. England was a little harder and I was able to get an employee there to accept my application and money. They sent it directly to him with a copy to the US Embassy. Can friends or family of your SO help get it ordered and then sent to Ghana? The other thing to take into consideration the reason why he left the Netherlands and went back to Ghana. They may ask about that as my SO was grilled on his life in Europe more than his life back in Africa.

Hi Chispas,

Samuel does have family in Amsterdam, but it wouldn't do us any good now. Our interview is Monday. Plus...I was reading exactly what Zee sent me a link to. They will not accept a copy from the beneficiary AT ALL and NO EXCEPTIONS. So, I am just praying for Monday to be a good day, even if we have to wait a few extra weeks for the police certificate. :clock:

Thanks for the advice!

Edited by Ricca711

Hi Chispas,

Samuel does have family in Amsterdam, but it wouldn't do us any good now. Our interview is Monday. Plus...I was reading exactly what Zee sent me a link to. They will not accept a copy from the beneficiary AT ALL and NO EXCEPTIONS. So, I am just praying for Monday to be a good day, even if we have to wait a few extra weeks for the police certificate. :clock:

Thanks for the advice!

Aww Too bad they wouldn't. A copy of what we ordered was sent directly to the Embassy too so that made it easier. Good luck on Monday. Hope all goes well.

Chispas

The longer it takes to introduce yourself the less you've actually accomplished

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.