Sherri

Questions about DS-230 and more!

2 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Paraguay
Timeline

Hi Everyone. I am new to VJ the website, not the frusturation of waiting for my love. I am happy to say that we got married in Paraguay last summer and turned in our I-130 in July. After a long wait without know what was going on at all, we got our approval from the USCIS exactly 6 months to the day after we sent our I-130. (Jan. 30) Now we have been dealing with the NVC which I find to be more open to answer questions etc. and things are moving faster than I thought! :dance:

Which brings me to my questions.

In April we were asked to pay for and fill out the affidavit of support (I-186) which I did promptly. Then we were asked to PAY for the visa application (DS-230) and then waited to get the letter with the OK to fill it out and send it in with all the paperwork. We still have NOT received anything saying that. Yet yesterday we got a letter saying that our I-186 is incomplete because they do not have the DS-230 yet. DID I MISS SOMETHING???? Is it common knowledge to send both I-186 and DS-230 together? Are they usually seperate instructions?

I just downloaded the DS-230 and filled it out according to the directions. I will mail it with the "new" barcode paper they sent in the request for more info. but I do NOT have the envelope provided by the NVC. Does that matter? Should I wait to see if we get a seperate letter saying it is time to send in the DS-230? Should I call them and make sure they are "ready" for out DS-230.

In the past I did get someone else's paperwork so I just want to make sure I follow everything correctly.

Also...On the DS-230 they ask for my husband's parents' birthdays. When we sent in that info on the I-130 back in July we had to guess on the year because we couldn't get in touch with his parents to ask (no phones) and we had to turn in the paperwork before the rates for the I-130 went up. Now they are asking for the birthdates again. Should we find out the CORRECT years or just write what we had before so that it is consistant? Does the info. about his parents really matter?

Also, we have a problem with my husband's military service. He has his certificate of duty etc. but it has the wrong birthday on it because when he was 15 he wanted to do his military service so his parents signed that he was 18 and old enough to join the army. Now his military records say he is 3 years older than he really is. Any ideas on what to do about this? Does anyone know what year it stopped being mandatory for Paraguayans to serve in the military? If we say he never went, would they find out that he had? Should we just use his certificate as is and figure out how to explain the birthdate later? It has his picture and thumb print so it will be easy to prove that it was him, just with the wrong birthdate.

Finally, does anyone know how long it takes between sending in the visa application and getting called for an interview? Fortunately I am a teacher and will be going to Paraguay to see my husband as soon as school gets out. I CAN"T WAIT. We are really hoping that I will bring him home soon! But I am trying to plan if I should rent our condo until August or hope to be back sooner.

Currently, we will be working through the embassy in Buenos Aires because he has lived there for the past 6 years. However, we are thinking of changing it to go through the embassy in Paraguay. Has anyone requested a change of embassy? Will it delay anything? Would it make it faster or slower to get an interview and approval? We were thinking that Paraguay MIGHT be faster since there are less people working through that embassy. Any opinions?

I think those are all my questions for now (was that enough?!) Thanks to any and all for your advice. I look forward to hearing your opinions and reading more of your stories. :thumbs:

• 2 weeks later...
Also...On the DS-230 they ask for my husband's parents' birthdays. When we sent in that info on the I-130 back in July we had to guess on the year because we couldn't get in touch with his parents to ask (no phones) and we had to turn in the paperwork before the rates for the I-130 went up. Now they are asking for the birthdates again. Should we find out the CORRECT years or just write what we had before so that it is consistant? Does the info. about his parents really matter?

Also, we have a problem with my husband's military service. He has his certificate of duty etc. but it has the wrong birthday on it because when he was 15 he wanted to do his military service so his parents signed that he was 18 and old enough to join the army. Now his military records say he is 3 years older than he really is. Any ideas on what to do about this? Does anyone know what year it stopped being mandatory for Paraguayans to serve in the military? If we say he never went, would they find out that he had? Should we just use his certificate as is and figure out how to explain the birthdate later? It has his picture and thumb print so it will be easy to prove that it was him, just with the wrong birthdate.

Hi, I just found out that by clicking on the country in the profile thing I could see who else was applying for that country and I noticed that your husband is from Paraguay. I am also from Paraguay and has been in the US for almost 9 years now. I was just granted the American Citizenship in May so I am really happy to be done with USCIS.

I can't help you with any of the K1 VISA questions you have but I can give my 2 cents in the above questions.

In my case, I don't think it really matter my parent's birthdates but I am not sure how if they check this in Paraguay or BS AS. My sugestion will be to put the date given in the I-130 because one thing is for sure and that is that they compare all paper work sumitted for consistency.

I am 32 and I know that the military service has always been mandatory unless you had a reason to not serve. I don't think you should lie about him never been registered and just try to explain the situation. In Paraguay is very very easy to have mistakes done by the government offices so I would say that it is easier to try and explain that a mistake was made on their part.

Good luck with everything.

Permanent Residence Card Timeline

09.14.04: Conditional PR granted

06.14.06: I-751 sent

07.07.06: NOA extending GC for a year

07.24.07: Biometrics Appt

09.10.07: Called 1-800 to inquire about Status

09.14.07: Conditional GC expired :(

09.24.07: Received Letter dated 09.19.07 -->Case pending Officer review

10.15.07: Another useless call to 1-800 line

11.13.07: Infopass Appt to inquire about I-751 status - Letter to Ombudsman sent.

12.08.07: Letter from Ombudsman received. Formal inquiry initiated. I should hear back from USCIS within 45 days.

01.05.08: Response from USCIS received: Required Review still in process. Contacted Congresswoman office.

Approved per Congresswoman's office response given in March 08.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Citizenship Timeline

11.05.07: N-400 Submitted

11.08.07: N-400 Application Received

11.14.07: N-400 Application Check Cashed!!

12.03.07: NOA Receipt Received - Priority Date:11/08/07

12.08.07: NOA 2 --> Fingerprint Notification Received. Scheduled date is 12.31.07

01.12.08: NOA 3 --> Interview Appt Letter. Interview date is 03.04 at 9:40AM

03.04.08: Interview done. I should hear from them soon.

04.07.08: Oath Ceremony Letter Received!!!

05.02.08: Oath Ceremony completed. I am now an American Citizen

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.