Missy1

Challenges of SSN, EAD and Green Card

32 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Social security as we all know enable you to pay tax, work and get the social security benefits. It’s also an identity number that is assigned only to you. Without this number life could be miserable in the US. You can’t open a bank account, build credit, go to school, get driver’s license etc. It simply means your stay in the US is not recognized. One of the benefits of life here in the US is to apply for social security number as soon as possible, if you have all the required documents.

Applying for SSN with K1/K3 visa is always a challenge but here are some ways you can get your SSN quickly:

You can apply for social security as soon as you arrive the US but that's only when you are issued temporary work authorization on your I-94 at point of entry into the US. With this I-94 then you can apply for social security number at any social security administration office close to you and you will receive the SSN in two weeks from the day you apply. But if you were not issued a work authorization on your I-94, then you cannot apply for your SSN until your application for employment authorization (I-765) is approved. Then you will present this card at the social security administration office for your SSN before you can then search for jobs and begin some necessary things of life.

For me, I had the SSN because I asked for the work authorization on my I-94 at the point of entry and then I applied for the social security number but for some reasons my name was typed wrongly on the immigration entry database which didn't correspondent with the information I gave the social security office. For that reason my SSN was delayed for about 8weeks. Eventually, when I got the SSN, the work authorization on my I-94 had less than 2weeks to expire but then I still did some job hunt, got some interviews but could not clinch any job because I had less than 2weeks work permit on the I-94. But now, I'm patiently waiting for the work authorization card before I can continue the job hunt again. The most painful moment was when I went to the department of motor vehicle (DMV) to apply for driver's license, though I had all the required documents on the 6point count, I was denied registering for the test after spending time to read the driver manual. I was told that I had less than 2weeks to the expiration of the work permit on the I-94 even with my marriage license and my SSN evidencing my legal continuous stay in the US. They told me that until my stay is legal in the United State with evidence of temporary Green Card, I won't be able to apply for driver's license. Funny enough, with my experience of job hunt, employers will first ask you for a driver's license before any other documentation showing your legal status.

I'm thinking even with the employment authorization (I-765) card, one might not be able to clinch on some jobs due to lack of driver's license and inability to drive to work. So I resolved to get my country driver's license and an International license. This has enabled me drive around the city and also prepares me for the working task ahead.

Please post your thoughts.....

April 8, 2007 - Visited the love of my life in Nigeria

April 10, 2007 - Engaged

May 21, 2007 - Sent Package to VSC

May 24, 2007 - NOA1 receipt date

August 10, 2007 - Visited the love of my life in Nigeria (again...stayed three weeks)

September 1, 2007 - arrived back in the States

November 5, 2007 - approved!!!

November 6, 2007 - touched

November 9, 2007 - received paper NOA2

November 9, 2007 - NVC forwarded case to consulate

November 15, 2007 - received letter from NVC

November 19, 2007 - fiance has interview date and corresponding forms

December 15, 2007 - Purchase Ticket

January 8, 2008- interview at consulate (approved!)

January 18, 2008- pick up visa

January 19, 2008 - POE (JFK)

February 14, 2008 - married on V-day!

AOS/EAD:

March 14, 2008 - applied for AOS/EAD

March 16, 2008 - AOS/EAD Received

March 20, 2008 - (AOS/EAD) NOA1 Received

March 27, 2008 - Received biometric Appointment

April 8, 2008 - I485 Application transfered to California Service Center

April 11, 2008- Biometrics taken

April 16, 2008 - Touched (AOS Transfered)

May 07, 2008 - Touched

May 08, 2008 - Touched

May 09, 2008 - Touched

May 12, 2008 - Touched

May 13, 2008 - Touched

May 14, 2008 - Touched(EAD card production ordered)

May 19, 2008 - Touched(EAD Approved)

May 19, 2008 - (AOS) Touched

May 19, 2008 - EAD card received!!!

June 05, 2008 - Touched(AOS Card production ordered)

June 09, 2008 - AOS approval notice sent

June 12, 2008 - Green Card received in mail

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Social security as we all know enable you to pay tax, work and get the social security benefits. It’s also an identity number that is assigned only to you. Without this number life could be miserable in the US. You can’t open a bank account, build credit, go to school, get driver’s license etc. It simply means your stay in the US is not recognized. One of the benefits of life here in the US is to apply for social security number as soon as possible, if you have all the required documents.

Applying for SSN with K1/K3 visa is always a challenge but here are some ways you can get your SSN quickly:

You can apply for social security as soon as you arrive the US but that's only when you are issued temporary work authorization on your I-94 at point of entry into the US. With this I-94 then you can apply for social security number at any social security administration office close to you and you will receive the SSN in two weeks from the day you apply. But if you were not issued a work authorization on your I-94, then you cannot apply for your SSN until your application for employment authorization (I-765) is approved. Then you will present this card at the social security administration office for your SSN before you can then search for jobs and begin some necessary things of life.

For me, I had the SSN because I asked for the work authorization on my I-94 at the point of entry and then I applied for the social security number but for some reasons my name was typed wrongly on the immigration entry database which didn't correspondent with the information I gave the social security office. For that reason my SSN was delayed for about 8weeks. Eventually, when I got the SSN, the work authorization on my I-94 had less than 2weeks to expire but then I still did some job hunt, got some interviews but could not clinch any job because I had less than 2weeks work permit on the I-94. But now, I'm patiently waiting for the work authorization card before I can continue the job hunt again. The most painful moment was when I went to the department of motor vehicle (DMV) to apply for driver's license, though I had all the required documents on the 6point count, I was denied registering for the test after spending time to read the driver manual. I was told that I had less than 2weeks to the expiration of the work permit on the I-94 even with my marriage license and my SSN evidencing my legal continuous stay in the US. They told me that until my stay is legal in the United State with evidence of temporary Green Card, I won't be able to apply for driver's license. Funny enough, with my experience of job hunt, employers will first ask you for a driver's license before any other documentation showing your legal status.

I'm thinking even with the employment authorization (I-765) card, one might not be able to clinch on some jobs due to lack of driver's license and inability to drive to work. So I resolved to get my country driver's license and an International license. This has enabled me drive around the city and also prepares me for the working task ahead.

Please post your thoughts.....

Which POE stamped your I-94?

From what I've seen only JFK does so?

OOPs I see now it was JFK.

Strange they are the only one that does so!!!

Edited by Haole

K1 denied, K3/K4, CR-1/CR-2, AOS, ROC, Adoption, US citizenship and dual citizenship

!! ALL PAU!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline
[...]

[...]

Not true.

K1 is work authorized so you do not need the temp EAD to get the SSN.

For K1s trying to get SSN without the temp EAD, take THIS DOCUMENT with you to the SSA office and direct them to Section C. It outlines that K1 is work authorized and does not need EAD to get the SSN.

Mama to 2 beautiful boys (August 2011 and January 2015)

Click for full timeline

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Ghana
Timeline

My husband had the temp EAD, but I never thought you had to have that to get SSN number or DL. My husband did get a SSN card and DL right away after moving here, with absolutely no problems. I did not go with him when he applied for either of them, so I can not say if he got them so easily because of the temp EAD.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I came in on a K1 without a temp EAD and had zero problems getting an SSN. I didn't need to show any more documentation then my passport (visa) and my marriage license.

Sorry you had such a hard time! :) Hopefully the rest of the process will be a bit easier on you!

AOS

Date Filed : 2008-02-15

NOA Date : 2008-02-26

RFE(s) : 2008-03-13

Bio. Appt. : 2008-03-18

AOS Transfer** :

Interview Date : 2008-07-23

Approval / Denial Date : 2008-07-23

Approved : 2008-07-23

Got I551 Stamp :

Greencard Received:

EAD

RFE(s) :

Bio. Appt. : 2008-03-18

Approved Date : 2008-04-24

Date Card Received : 2008-05-03

Comments : Packet Arrived in Chicago - Feb 20, 2008

Check cashed Feb 28, 2008

AP

RFE(s) :

Date Approved: 2008-04-24

Date Received : 2008-05-01

Timeline
[...]

[...]

Not true.

For K1s trying to get SSN without the temp EAD, take THIS DOCUMENT with you to the SSA office and direct them to Section C. It outlines that K1 is work authorized and does not need EAD to get the SSN.

You are correct but that's only when your I-94 is stamped with "employment authorized" at the point of entry else a social security number will not be issued. If on this case, with proper documents for a K1 visa and a social security number is issued then it will indicate "not valid for employment". Although I'm not 100% sure.

April 10, 2007 - Engaged

August 10, 2007 - Visited the love of my life in Nigeria (again...stayed three weeks)

AOS/EAD:

May 07, 2008 - Touched

May 08, 2008 - Touched

May 09, 2008 - Touched

May 12, 2008 - Touched

May 13, 2008 - Touched

Timeline
[...]

[...]

Not true.

You are correct but that's only when your I-94 is stamped with "employment authorized" at the point of entry else a social security number will not be issued. If on this case, with proper documents for a K1 visa and a social security number is issued then it will indicate "not valid for employment". Although I'm not 100% sure.

Once again....not true.

The document I linked to explicitly states that a K-1 does not need work authorization to get an SSN. Did you read it??? Under Section C it states:

1. Aliens Work Authorized Without Specific DHS Authorization

The following sections list nonimmigrants, by alien class of admission codes, who are authorized to work in the U.S. without specific authorization from DHS. The person’s I-94 will not have the DHS employment authorization stamp and the alien will generally not have an EAD.

The K-1 is number 26 on that list.

There are a lot of VJers who are successful in getting an SSN without the work authorization stamp.

If you get the SSN before getting your greencard it will say "Valid for work only with DHS Authorization". Once you get the greencard you can go back to the SSA and you will get an unrestricted SSN.

Please read the document I provided before posting any more misleading information.

Click for full timeline

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ethiopia
Timeline

OP, ZeeNuash is correct. Being able to OBTAIN a SSN, has nothing to do with work authorization status. Think of the men/women who come and decide not to work outside the home. Housewives and hubbies do have SSNs.

However, without a green card, the SScard will say something similar to "not work authorized without DHS approval", which means for employment you must show SScard and work authorization. My hubby applied for his SSN after about a week since entering the US, without any problems. Of course he had the DHS approval note on his card. When his Green card arrived we went to SS office and updated his records. A week later he had a regular SSN card, like I have. Note: he did get a temp EAD, but there was no point in going to update his records, the card would still have the DHS message. Its important to update records once your spouse has a green card because, a LPR is entitled to benefits that a legal alien is not. Similarly, once your spouse gets US citizenship, they should also update their status with SS office.

Timeline

Hey ZeeNusah you are right. I didn't find time to read the link you posted. But my write-up were not information nonetheless misleading. They were just my parochial thoughts and I expected to read other VJ members opinion to learn more about the K1 processes. I guess you didn't take it personal, we are all learning, I presumed!!

April 10, 2007 - Engaged

AOS/EAD:

May 07, 2008 - Touched

May 08, 2008 - Touched

May 09, 2008 - Touched

May 12, 2008 - Touched

May 13, 2008 - Touched

Timeline

No I did not take it personal.

But you need to be careful about what you ut up as truth and as your own thought. The way you worded it made it sound like you were speaking on some kind of evidence/authority.

A lot of people use this site as a source of information. We need to make sure that we are spreading correct information.

If it is a thought, you need to make that clear.

Edited by ZeeNusah

Click for full timeline

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Liberia
Timeline
I came in on a K1 without a temp EAD and had zero problems getting an SSN. I didn't need to show any more documentation then my passport (visa) and my marriage license.

Sorry you had such a hard time! :) Hopefully the rest of the process will be a bit easier on you!

:thumbs: Same with us. My husband came on a K-1 through Washington D.C. and never got the temporary EAD stamp. We had absolutely no problems in getting his SSN. His SSN card has "Not valid for work with DHS" or something to that effect. We only had to show our marriage license, his passport with the visa and I-94. Two weeks later, the card arrived in the mail.

This seems to have been resolved already, but I just wanted to also add that this topic was started as very misleading. It didn't come across as just a "thought" and I thought that somehow the rules might have changed. As stated, some people rely heavily on the information found on VJ and it's best to make sure your statement is a fact before posting it. :)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

My husband also had no problem getting his DL and SS Card. He received the SSN without a green card, so the SScard said: "not work authorized without DHS approval", which means for employment you must show SScard and work authorization. My husband applied for his SSN after about a week since entering the US, without any problems.

He obtained temporary employment at UPS and is now permanently employed by them.

When he receives his Green Card, he will go immediately and obtain the unrestricted SS card.

K-1 Visa Journey

03/10/2007 - Sent I-129F to NSC

06/05/2007 - Approved

06/25/2007 - NVC Case Number received

07/05/2007 - Fiance received Packets 3 and 4

09/06/2007 - INTERVIEW----- APPROVED

09/13/2007 - VISA IN HAND

09/14/2007 - POE AT JFK

10/26/2007 - Wedding

01/17/2008 - Email from CRIS that I-129 was approved!

AOS Journey

10/28/2007 - AOS mailed to Chicago via Federal Express

10/29/2007 - AOS received at Chicago

11/05/2007 - NOA for I-131, I-485, I-765

12/28/2007 - Biometrics

12/29/2007 - Case appeared on USCIS website

12/31/2007 - EAD Card Production Ordered; AP Approved

01/10/2008 - AP Received in mail

01/12/2008 - EAD Card Recieved in mail

07/24/2008 - AOS Interview

07/30/2008 -Card Production Ordered

08/11/2008 - GREEN CARD RECIEVED

04/30/2010 - ROC mailed to CA via USPS Express Mail

08/10/2010 - EAD Card Production Ordered; AOS Approved

04/24/2011 - Mailed N-400

05/12/2011 - Received I-797C

06/08/2011 - Biometrics

07/25/2011 - N-400 Interview

07/25/2011 - Oath Ceremony

MY HUSBAND IS A US CITIZEN!!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

OP, your taking the time to post your thoughts, views, and experience was highly appreciated. Although some of your information was not correct and you worded it as though you were posting a "point of fact" and not an "opinion", it was still appreciated by some of us, I'm sure.

For many of us, this journey is a learning process of trial and error. You are not the first, nor the last person who posted misleading and incorrect information.

You may also find comfort and gain knowledge by visiting some of the other forums such as the K1 forum. Some forums are more neutral, while still offering the same, if not more, helpful information than others. While some seem to have more "Chiefs than Indians" (so to speak), who try their very best to take on an air of superiority, just to gain more "stars, hearts and squares" under their forum ID names. OP, your taking the time to post your thoughts, views, and experience was highly appreciated. Although some of your information was not correct and you worded it as though you were posting a "point of fact" and not an "opinion", it was still appreciated by some of us, I'm sure.

For many of this, this journey is a learning process of trial and error. You are not the first, nor the last person who posted misleading and incorrect information.

You may also find comfort and gain knowledge by visiting some of the other forums such as the K1 forum. Some forums are more neutral, while still offering the same, if not more, helpful information than others. While some seem to have more "Chiefs than Indians" who try their very best to take on an air of superiority, just to gain more "stars and hearts" under their forum ID names.

I have found that the overall feeling of each forum is completely different. Some actual feel like "family", while others seem to consist of "clicks" who are ready to jump-on and chastise posters who may make mistakes or post views that are not shared by the "massess."

Again, thank you for taking the time to post your information. Although filled with incorrect points, you later learned what was indeed "correct" and humbly stated such. Isn't that what this type of forum is all about in the first place?

I have learned quite a lot of information during the months I have been a member here, and appreciate having such a place to come to while I go through this process, but I rarely post unless it is to congratulate someone, primarilty because of this very reason. But that is just me. To each his/her own.

I hope you now have complete knowledge about the topic you posted about, and thanks again for your contribution.

I have found that the overall feeling of each forum is completely different. Some actually feel like a welcoming and helpful "family" atmosphere, while others seem to consist of "queen bees" "kings" and "clicks" who are ready to boast, jump-on and/or chastise posters who may make mistakes or post views that are not shared by the "massess." We are all human and make mistakes.

Again, thank you for taking the time to post your information. Although filled with incorrect points, you later learned what was indeed correct. Isn't that what this type of forum is all about in the first place?

I hope you now have complete knowledge about the topic you posted about, and thanks again for your contribution.

Consulate : London, United Kingdom

Spent month in Africa 06/2007

Spent month in UK 02/2008

I-129F Sent : 03-05

I-129F NOA1 : 03-07

I-129 NOA1 Hard Copy: 03-15

Touched: 03-11

Touched: 03-13

Touched: 03-14

Touched: 07-22.

I-129F NOA2 :07-22

Touched: 07-23

I-129 NOA2 Hard Copy:07-28

NVC Received : 07-28

NVC Left : 07-30

Consulate Received : 08-06

Packet 3 Received : 08-15

Packet 3 Sent : 09-04 and 10-2

Packet 4 Received : 10-6

Interview Date : 10-16

Comment: Issued blue slip at interview to get Police Certs AGAIN :-(

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
OP, your taking the time to post your thoughts, views, and experience was highly appreciated. Although some of your information was not correct and you worded it as though you were posting a "point of fact" and not an "opinion", it was still appreciated by some of us, I'm sure.

For many of us, this journey is a learning process of trial and error. You are not the first, nor the last person who posted misleading and incorrect information.

You may also find comfort and gain knowledge by visiting some of the other forums such as the K1 forum. Some forums are more neutral, while still offering the same, if not more, helpful information than others. While some seem to have more "Chiefs than Indians" (so to speak), who try their very best to take on an air of superiority, just to gain more "stars, hearts and squares" under their forum ID names. OP, your taking the time to post your thoughts, views, and experience was highly appreciated. Although some of your information was not correct and you worded it as though you were posting a "point of fact" and not an "opinion", it was still appreciated by some of us, I'm sure.

For many of this, this journey is a learning process of trial and error. You are not the first, nor the last person who posted misleading and incorrect information.

You may also find comfort and gain knowledge by visiting some of the other forums such as the K1 forum. Some forums are more neutral, while still offering the same, if not more, helpful information than others. While some seem to have more "Chiefs than Indians" who try their very best to take on an air of superiority, just to gain more "stars and hearts" under their forum ID names.

I have found that the overall feeling of each forum is completely different. Some actual feel like "family", while others seem to consist of "clicks" who are ready to jump-on and chastise posters who may make mistakes or post views that are not shared by the "massess."

Again, thank you for taking the time to post your information. Although filled with incorrect points, you later learned what was indeed "correct" and humbly stated such. Isn't that what this type of forum is all about in the first place?

I have learned quite a lot of information during the months I have been a member here, and appreciate having such a place to come to while I go through this process, but I rarely post unless it is to congratulate someone, primarilty because of this very reason. But that is just me. To each his/her own.

I have found that the overall feeling of each forum is completely different. Some actually feel like a welcoming and helpful "family" atmosphere, while others seem to consist of "queen bees" "kings" and "clicks" who are ready to boast, jump-on and/or chastise posters who may make mistakes or post views that are not shared by the "massess." We are all human and make mistakes.

Again, thank you for taking the time to post your information. Although filled with incorrect points, you later learned what was indeed correct. Isn't that what this type of forum is all about in the first place?

Sorry about the duplicated paragraphs....Case in point - We all make mistakes :oops:

Consulate : London, United Kingdom

Spent month in Africa 06/2007

Spent month in UK 02/2008

I-129F Sent : 03-05

I-129F NOA1 : 03-07

I-129 NOA1 Hard Copy: 03-15

Touched: 03-11

Touched: 03-13

Touched: 03-14

Touched: 07-22.

I-129F NOA2 :07-22

Touched: 07-23

I-129 NOA2 Hard Copy:07-28

NVC Received : 07-28

NVC Left : 07-30

Consulate Received : 08-06

Packet 3 Received : 08-15

Packet 3 Sent : 09-04 and 10-2

Packet 4 Received : 10-6

Interview Date : 10-16

Comment: Issued blue slip at interview to get Police Certs AGAIN :-(

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Liberia
Timeline

Stevi, who "chastised" her and what "masses" are you talking about? Personally, I did appreciate the fact that she posted her thought. There is nothing wrong with that, but in doing so, her thought came across as an incorrect fact. She later cleared everything up by saying it was a thought and that it might not be 100% correct.

The only thing people did were to come and share their stories (which went against her original "thought") and correct the OP. It happens all of the time...someone starts a thread and the rest of the posters share their experiences. That's not being authoritative. Also, if information is incorrect are we all supposed to sit around and let it remain uncorrected? It's a fact that there are tons of people who don't take the time to thoroughly research their visa process and they believe every word they see on VJ. The visa process is a very big deal and everyone is trying their best to avoid delays. It's in the best interest of everyone to have correct information and true experiences to back it up. I think you saw this thread as being more than what it really was.

Also, I have seen you make mention of cliques before in other posts. While some people may talk together more often than others, everyone has always been free to "get in where they fit in" and post freely. Some people prefer to lurk while others are quite chatty. It's up to the individual person to make the most of their VJ experience.

OP, your thoughts were appreciated.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.