badspellor

NVC doesn't like my police certificate!

21 posts in this topic

Called first thing this morning hoping to hear case complete but the automated system was down and I got patched straight into the queue for an operator. I gave her the usual info, and she told me my DS-230 was reviewed today (before 8:15am? WOW!) and they've issued an RFE. Drat! Apparently my police certificate and marriage certificates are no good. I was told I should have the police certificate from the RCMP and marriage certificate from vital statistics. I sent in a police certificate from the Royal Newfoundland Constabulary. The instructions said that it was alright to get one from the local police force and even calling the RCMP St. John's detachment they tell you to get it from the RNC! As for the marriage certificate, it was the original with the raised seal from the church which says Certificate of Marriage. Not good enough. Have to pay vital statistics for their print out instead. Looks like our interview is going to be delayed at least another month!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
Called first thing this morning hoping to hear case complete but the automated system was down and I got patched straight into the queue for an operator. I gave her the usual info, and she told me my DS-230 was reviewed today (before 8:15am? WOW!) and they've issued an RFE. Drat! Apparently my police certificate and marriage certificates are no good. I was told I should have the police certificate from the RCMP and marriage certificate from vital statistics. I sent in a police certificate from the Royal Newfoundland Constabulary. The instructions said that it was alright to get one from the local police force and even calling the RCMP St. John's detachment they tell you to get it from the RNC! As for the marriage certificate, it was the original with the raised seal from the church which says Certificate of Marriage. Not good enough. Have to pay vital statistics for their print out instead. Looks like our interview is going to be delayed at least another month!

Wow badspellor, that's too bad!

You should be able to get a police check from your local police office . The instructions are (assuming you have no criminal convictions - you can also look at these in the link i've posted below):

Inside Canada: Applicants who are physically present in Canada should contact their local police service or Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) office regarding criminal record check procedures. Applicants may obtain a certificate of no conviction issued by any Canadian police service so long as it notes that Canadian Police Information Centre (CPIC) or the national criminal records repository was searched using the applicant’s name and date of birth. Applicants should ensure that the search includes all names that they have previously used, including maiden names, prior married names, or names used before Canadian naturalization. (Note: Because records checks based on name and date of birth only are sometimes less thorough than those based on fingerprints, U.S. diplomatic offices reserve the right to request that certain applicants obtain fingerprint-based searches from the RCMP.)

Yes, they only want certificates from vital statistics.

The reprocity tables for Canada are here: link this explains exactly which documents they require.

Wow badspellor, that's too bad!

You should be able to get a police check from your local police office . The instructions are (assuming you have no criminal convictions - you can also look at these in the link i've posted below):

Inside Canada: Applicants who are physically present in Canada should contact their local police service or Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) office regarding criminal record check procedures. Applicants may obtain a certificate of no conviction issued by any Canadian police service so long as it notes that Canadian Police Information Centre (CPIC) or the national criminal records repository was searched using the applicant’s name and date of birth. Applicants should ensure that the search includes all names that they have previously used, including maiden names, prior married names, or names used before Canadian naturalization. (Note: Because records checks based on name and date of birth only are sometimes less thorough than those based on fingerprints, U.S. diplomatic offices reserve the right to request that certain applicants obtain fingerprint-based searches from the RCMP.)

Yes, they only want certificates from vital statistics.

The reprocity tables for Canada are here: link this explains exactly which documents they require.

I've read all that and being that the RNC is the local police service I figured they'd take it. I've contacted the RCMP and they're telling me that since the beneficiary doesn't reside in the RCMP's jurisdiction but the RNC's jurisdiction that they require a letter from the NVC stating that only a certificate of conduct from the RCMP is acceptable. Of course we could go the fingerprint route but with a 150+ day waiting time, I don't think that'd be acceptable to us, personally! We've waited long enough already.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

badspellor the fingerprint shouldnt take long if u dont have any criminal record, i did my and i got it in less than 10 biz day, mind you i live in calgary and i did mine at the commisionaire. immediately u fingerprint it went straight to ottawa electronically, and the marriage cert too u can get it in 2 to 3 day if want them to expedite it. am from my alberta experience i dont known about your province. did u use the same marriage cert. for your i-130?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Electronic fingerprinting through the commisionaires can be fast, BUT not available everywhere

http://www.commissionaires.ca/services/fin...n-overview.html

RCMP fingerprinting is slow, can be up to 120 days!!

Another option is to contact the Winnipeg City police http://www.winnipeg.ca/police/BPR/info_req...m_record_search

And get a police search from them!! They will mail it to you. They mailed it to me while i was in Greenwood NS. It looked very official. I ended up not using it (used the RCMP one)

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

badspellor the fingerprint shouldnt take long if u dont have any criminal record, i did my and i got it in less than 10 biz day, mind you i live in calgary and i did mine at the commisionaire. immediately u fingerprint it went straight to ottawa electronically, and the marriage cert too u can get it in 2 to 3 day if want them to expedite it. am from my alberta experience i dont known about your province. did u use the same marriage cert. for your i-130?

I took a look at Vital Statistics online and they do mail order which takes a couple of weeks unless you expidite (for extra of course!) but I could also give authorization for another person to pick it up, so I filled out the form, signed it and left the top blank for my relative in town to complete as they become the applicant to receive the marriage certificate. They were able to get it this morning so it's on its way to the states as I write this. One down, one to go! And yes, for the I-130 I used the exact same marriage certificate I had originally sent the NVC and the USCIS took it, no problems. Oh well!

Electronic fingerprinting through the commisionaires can be fast, BUT not available everywhere

http://www.commissionaires.ca/services/fin...n-overview.html

RCMP fingerprinting is slow, can be up to 120 days!!

Another option is to contact the Winnipeg City police http://www.winnipeg.ca/police/BPR/info_req...m_record_search

And get a police search from them!! They will mail it to you. They mailed it to me while i was in Greenwood NS. It looked very official. I ended up not using it (used the RCMP one)

I can't get to a commissionaires office, unfortunately. I've called the NVC and they're sending it to review which could take 10-15 days but I'm not taking any chances. The RCMP wants a letter from the provincial court stating there's no prior convictions in order to do their certificate of conduct so I've sent the relative to pick that up. They're going to scan that in to me and I'll fax it along with their authorization form and a print out from the DoS page showing the police certificate requirements to the RCMP later today and hopefully they'll send it. I just may contact the Winnipeg City police as a backup and get that ball rolling. I'd rather end up with three police certificates and the NVC completing this case ASAP than delaying this any longer than necessary.

• 3 months later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

lol I'm glad I found this. We got the RNC certificate too, havn't sent in yet, but anyways, I looked at it and told my husband this is no good cuz it doesn't say it checked all of Canada. So he went to RCMP and they told him, well RNC has to do it because he isn't in their jurisdiction but RNC should be able to do it because they check the same thing. So he brings the RNC ones back to RNC and he asks if they can have it say it checked the CPIC, they said it did, he says well I need it to say it on this paper, they said they can't, but there assured him they checked it. So husband just leaves and goes back to RCMP and says they can't do it. So, they RCMP finally gives it to him, at least they did it for free. I'm hoping its ok because it doesn't look like much. It says "canadian police certificate for visa applicants" and says it searched the antional repository for criminal records in Canada. so I hope that is ok (edit and i see it is)

and same as badspellor, i paid the IV bill too early and now have to hassle with that lol

Edited by wowswift

• 2 weeks later...

Just noticed this thread. Now I'm worried. I got my police report from the local police. On top it says "Canadian Police Certificate for visa applicants and/or foreign travel, foreign permits, benevolent actions." In the text they say that they looked through "CRPQ (Centre de renseignements policiers du Québec => roughly translates to "Police information center of Quebec", their website is in French only)".

When I ordered the report, I made sure they do a Canada wide search and I was told that's what they do. I did a search on the internet, CRPQ and CPIC appear to be two different things. Will this be ok for my interview or do I need to go elsewhere to get the right report? If I need another report, where do I go to get it? I live near Montreal.

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
Just noticed this thread. Now I'm worried. I got my police report from the local police. On top it says "Canadian Police Certificate for visa applicants and/or foreign travel, foreign permits, benevolent actions." In the text they say that they looked through "CRPQ (Centre de renseignements policiers du Québec => roughly translates to "Police information center of Quebec", their website is in French only)".

When I ordered the report, I made sure they do a Canada wide search and I was told that's what they do. I did a search on the internet, CRPQ and CPIC appear to be two different things. Will this be ok for my interview or do I need to go elsewhere to get the right report? If I need another report, where do I go to get it? I live near Montreal.

as long as it is a Canada wide search you should be fine...

mvSuprise-hug.gif

According to what they told me, it is a Canada wide search. However, it doesn't specifically say so in the report. The only place Canada is mentioned is in the title of the report. I'm really concerned about this. I'll be handing in my report at the interview and I don't want to be told something like "we won't be able to interview you today, you don't have the right police report."

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

According to what they told me, it is a Canada wide search. However, it doesn't specifically say so in the report. The only place Canada is mentioned is in the title of the report. I'm really concerned about this. I'll be handing in my report at the interview and I don't want to be told something like "we won't be able to interview you today, you don't have the right police report."

you would still have your interview.. they would probably just ask you to send in the police report...

if they said it was Canada wide I am sure it is ok.... from what I remember mine didn't say Canada wide on it either.. it didn't look very official at all

mvSuprise-hug.gif

you would still have your interview.. they would probably just ask you to send in the police report...

if they said it was Canada wide I am sure it is ok.... from what I remember mine didn't say Canada wide on it either.. it didn't look very official at all

Ok, if I still have the interview then, good. This thing takes so long, I want to avoid all additional delays if I can. Thanks, Marilyn.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I'd try to get one from RCMP. The Newfoundland one didn't say it searched Canada wide but they claimed it did, even RCMP said they did too, but it didn't say it on the form. So I told my husband to get the RCMP one and it says it searched it all even though it looks less official lol. Or maybe even go in and ask if they can add it searched the CPIC on the other one, RNC said they couldn't do it, so off to RCMP he went.

Edited by wowswift

I'd try to get one from RCMP. The Newfoundland one didn't say it searched Canada wide but they claimed it did, even RCMP said they did too, but it didn't say it on the form. So I told my husband to get the RCMP one and it says it searched it all even though it looks less official lol. Or maybe even go in and ask if they can add it searched the CPIC on the other one, RNC said they couldn't do it, so off to RCMP he went.

Thanks wowswift. I'm going to send an email to the Consulate first and see what they tell me.

The RCMP report, isn't that the one that takes a while to be delivered?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Rwanda
Timeline

My husband's NOT Canadian, so I can't offer advice or specifics. HOWEVER, I found this thread interesting for two reasons:

1. we sent in a country-wide police report and it was rejected, because

2. the NVC, in their infinite wisdom :angry: , preferred a local police report

everybody say it with me: NVC,#######?

ndi uw'umunkunzi wanje

I am my beloved's

07/02/2006 met during "Hope Rwanda" (he was my translator!)

01/04/2008 state wedding

01/14/2008 mailed I-130

02/14/2008 Valentine's Day gift: NOA1

02/15/2008 mailed I-129F

05/10/2008 apply for expedite on I-129F and it's accepted!

05/14/2008 NOA2 for I-130, I-129F is administratively closed. d'oh! Now he has to take a 20 hour bus ride to the embassy, instead of getting the visa at the embassy 2 km from where he lives :( We had been trying for the K-3. Now we try to figure out the CR-1 process

05/16/2008 went back to Rwanda with my mom and MoH for the church wedding

05/25/2008 church wedding!! I got spoiled rotten :)

05/26/2008 honeymooooooon

06/05/2008 contact embassy. They tell me to leave important papers with him. (bzzzt! wrong answer!)

06/07/2008 got back to the US, mailed AOS bill

06/08/2008 finally figure out CR-1 process (thanks, guys!) and realize that I need all of the important papers. double d'oh! He starts to collect things like his birth certificate.

06/10/2008 emailed DS-3023

07/16/2008 he finally got his birth certificate and FedEx-es the packet to me

07/25/2008 mailed DS-230

08/05/2008 should have a "case complete", but NVC is IDIOTIC and has out-of-date info

09/ --/2008 call embassies, change foreign policy

10/02/2008 CASE COMPLETE. FINALLY!

11/??/2008 interview

11/??/2008 disgust strangers in airport by making out with my hubby

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.