jexida

K1 visa..moving & conflictng information...HELP!

6 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

I am immigrating to the u.s. from canada. I am just waiting now for my k-1 interview which is in a few weeks, but I am concerned about the move down and how to go about getting my belongings to the U.S. and have only recieved mixed information, and today a border guard yelled at me over it

:crying:

Questions:

~ I have heard that once you enter the U.S. with your K-1 visa you can't leave (unless you file for emergency travel), but then I just heard today that you cant "move" to the U.S. on a K-1 visa since it is only for 'visiting purposes'. SO, how do I get my stuff down there if I'm stuck in the U.S. until after my AOS has been approve? Do I just live down there without my belongings for the first 6-12 months until my AOS is approved? That just does't make sense!?!

~ Once your visa is approved, do you need to activate it right away? Can I still visit my fiance (cross the border) without activating it?

~ Can I move my stuff down at the same time I activate my visa?

~ For anyone in similar circumstances as myself, is it better to hire someone to move my stuff, or can I do it myself?

Thanks guys, I really need the advice!

J.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Regarding K-1 Visa general info:

The visa is a fiance visa, which was created to help ease the strain on the K-3 visa or spousal visa. It grants the beneficiary 90 days to marry once it is used. This allows for couples to "get to know each other" while still allowing them to be together legally.

Regarding visa approval:

You have a "Use by" date on the visa that is 6 months from the time of approval. So, if its approved May 1st, you must use it by November 1st. Make sense?

Regarding moving:

I do believe others on the board have sucessfully crossed the border with a Uhaul or some sort of truck with belongings. There is more specific information that you can use the Search for or ask others that might reply to this post. I think a list of what you are bringing is needed, but don't quote me on that. Whether or not you do it yourself I think comes down to what you can afford really.

USA_a.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

K-1 is a NON-immigrant visa however it has Immigrant intent, so yes you can move your belongings when you enter the USA using the K-1 visa.

Once the K-1 is approved it is valid for 6 months, traveling across the border without the POE officer processing can be tricky, some have reported being able to visit without using the visa, but depending on the officer at POE, they very well could just refuse entry unless you are using the visa.

YES :yes: you can move your belongings at same time as you use the K-1

You may want to ask about how to move in the Canada Regional Forum.

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showforum=93

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

First of all, breathe and relax :)

Congratulations on your journey and welcome to VJ!!! :star:

I'll try to answer your questions for you:

Once you enter with the K1 visa you can leave at any time but the problem would be getting back into the country. The K1 is a one time entry visa so they would not allow you back in using it, meaning, you'd have to start over again.

In order to travel you need either your green card or advanced parole.

Once you are issued your K1 visa you have up to 6 months to use the visa. Once you enter, you must get married within 90 days. Once you get married you file for AOS (Green card) Included in that fee is EAD (Work Authorization) and AP (advanced parole) It takes usually 3+ months to get your Advanced Parole document and Work Authorization. When you have that in your hands, you are able to travel outside of the U.S. and allowed to re-enter. You are also allowed to work (as long as you have a SSN)

With a K1, you are in fact, moving to the U.S. So, you should treat it as such. Get everything ready, move down with all your stuff and plan to stay, get married and file for AOS, EAD and AP.

There have been instances where people cross from Canada with the K1 in their passport but have not activated it yet. They simply have stated "I'm just visiting, I'm not activating my K1 today" and have gotten through fine. Some have been turned away and told that they must activate that day so...if you aren't prepared to enter and stay, be prepared to turn around and go back home.

Yes, you can move your belongings down at the same time as you are activating your K1. Nick and I are renting a uhaul and moving all my stuff down and I will be activating my visa at the same time :)

Hiring someone is fine and dandy if you have the funds. Uhaul seems to be the cheapest way to go, depending on how far you are going so...price it out and see what's the best option for you.

Good Luck!!!

Edited by ~Laura and Nick~

Let's Keep the Song Going!!!

CANADA.GIFUS1.GIF

~Laura and Nicholas~

IMG_1315.jpg

Met online November 2005 playing City of Heroes

First met in Canada, Sept 22, 2006 <3

September 2006 to March 2008, 11 visits, 5 in Canada, 6 in NJ

Officially Engaged December 24th, 2007!!!

Moved to the U.S. to be with my baby on July 19th, 2008 on a K1 visa!!!!

***10 year green card in hand as of 2/2/2012, loving and living life***

Hmmm maybe we should move back to Canada! lol smile.png

Filed: Timeline

Thank you so much for all the info! :blush: My next qestion would be....where can I get info on the actual move (i.e. itemizing all the belongings etc) Is there a form I should fill out? Or can I just make my own list? Do I need to put the prospective value on the items or does it matter if all of it is relativley old stuff?

Thanks again I already feel MUCH better!

J.

Congrats on your approval!

First of all, breathe and relax :)

Congratulations on your journey and welcome to VJ!!! :star:

I'll try to answer your questions for you:

Once you enter with the K1 visa you can leave at any time but the problem would be getting back into the country. The K1 is a one time entry visa so they would not allow you back in using it, meaning, you'd have to start over again.

In order to travel you need either your green card or advanced parole.

Once you are issued your K1 visa you have up to 6 months to use the visa. Once you enter, you must get married within 90 days. Once you get married you file for AOS (Green card) Included in that fee is EAD (Work Authorization) and AP (advanced parole) It takes usually 3+ months to get your Advanced Parole document and Work Authorization. When you have that in your hands, you are able to travel outside of the U.S. and allowed to re-enter. You are also allowed to work (as long as you have a SSN)

With a K1, you are in fact, moving to the U.S. So, you should treat it as such. Get everything ready, move down with all your stuff and plan to stay, get married and file for AOS, EAD and AP.

There have been instances where people cross from Canada with the K1 in their passport but have not activated it yet. They simply have stated "I'm just visiting, I'm not activating my K1 today" and have gotten through fine. Some have been turned away and told that they must activate that day so...if you aren't prepared to enter and stay, be prepared to turn around and go back home.

Yes, you can move your belongings down at the same time as you are activating your K1. Nick and I are renting a uhaul and moving all my stuff down and I will be activating my visa at the same time :)

Hiring someone is fine and dandy if you have the funds. Uhaul seems to be the cheapest way to go, depending on how far you are going so...price it out and see what's the best option for you.

Good Luck!!!

:) I'm glad you are feeling better.

I'm just making my own list.

I find by staying organized and writing everything down as you pack it is a huge help.

I know at the border, anything over 10,000 dollars cash you have to claim.

I've read some reviews of POE crossings where the officer didn't even look inside the uhaul! I would still be prepared though and take that list of everything you are taking with you so you can whip it out at a moments notice and show the officer what you have.

I don't believe they will want to know values.

Have a great interview! :star:

Let's Keep the Song Going!!!

CANADA.GIFUS1.GIF

~Laura and Nicholas~

IMG_1315.jpg

Met online November 2005 playing City of Heroes

First met in Canada, Sept 22, 2006 <3

September 2006 to March 2008, 11 visits, 5 in Canada, 6 in NJ

Officially Engaged December 24th, 2007!!!

Moved to the U.S. to be with my baby on July 19th, 2008 on a K1 visa!!!!

***10 year green card in hand as of 2/2/2012, loving and living life***

Hmmm maybe we should move back to Canada! lol smile.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.