carolinasfinest

Need help with K1 !!!

4 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

:dance: ok all you Canadians.... I need a little help understanding the whole K1 visa process. What is the timeline? From the time we apply (if we get married as soon as possible) to the time he's able to work here in the states? We're trying to decide whether this process will be better or if the K3 process would be better. He needs to work as quickly as possible after getting here. Which process allows him to do that?

Thanks!

Nikki

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I'm out the door,but the 1 visa that allows one to work as soon as one gets in the USA is the CR-1, but it takes longer than the k1 to get

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
:dance: ok all you Canadians.... I need a little help understanding the whole K1 visa process. What is the timeline? From the time we apply (if we get married as soon as possible) to the time he's able to work here in the states? We're trying to decide whether this process will be better or if the K3 process would be better. He needs to work as quickly as possible after getting here. Which process allows him to do that?

Thanks!

Nikki

Hi,

Yes, as flames mentioned, the only visa which will allow him to work right away is the CR-1. You kind of need to decide if it is more important to get him to the U.S. as soon as possible or for him to work immediately. The K1 or K3 might get him to the U.S. a few months faster (as in like 2-4 months) - but then you have to apply for his adjustment of status - so he will be there but unable to work until his AOS is complete.

With the CR-1, it will take about 11 months probably (none of these timelines are set in stone, it is all variable - each immigration case differs) however he will be able to work as soon as he arrives.

From the VJ wiki page:

IR1/CR1 Visas are immigrant visas issued to a foreign spouse of the U.S. Citizen. If you follow this process, your foreign spouse will complete the visa process completely outside the US, and then arrive in the US and become a Permanent Resident immediately. Once the immigrant visa holder enters the Unites States through a US Port of Entry they will receive a Green Card in the mail (at their US address) within a few weeks. Additionally, sometimes the immigrant visa holder will have their passport stamped at the Port of Entry with an I-551 stamp (indicating their Legal Permanent Residency Status).

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

The K-1 timeline varies depending on where you live in the US and where your fiance/fiancee lives in Canada. Things may have changed so I am not sur if Vermont is still as fast as it used to be and if Vancouver is faster than Montreal. You can review my timeline below but keep in mind my timeline was actually rather quick compared to many others.

I managed to get my greencard fairly quick after appling (60 days if I remember). It really is a hard thing to predict and it can turn your life upside down for 1-2 years.

Good luck which ever route you choose but remember the Visa Journey community is a great place to help you through the process. I know we would have done so many things wrong or the hard way without the help of VJ and its members.

K-1 VISA
08-05-06 - Married in Sycamore IL

AOS / EAD
08-24-06 - AOS/EAD mail to Chicago (Day 1)

11-06-06 - GC & Welcome Letter arrive in Mail (Day 75)

I-751
09-23-08 - Sent Package via USPS (Day 1)
01-02-09 - Received GC in mail (with wrong Resident Since date) (Day 101)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.