kcmetzy

Question about the future...

21 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
add that to list of questions asked weekly,lol just kidding!! But I did state the time frame in my first posting about usa citizenship. No he wont loose his Cdn citizenship, he will have dual! But in the eyes of the USA government, he would be a USA citizen. 90 days prior to the 3 yr mark of the date u activated ur cr-1 visa is when u can apply.

LOL I realized that after I clicked "add reply" ...that I should have been more clear. I didn't mean like how long would it take (because you did such a great job of explaing..thanks!)

I meant how difficult would it be especially if the permanent resident has a criminal background. I expected ya'll to read my mind. ha! Do the same rules apply for green card holders as citizens..as far as criminal history is concerned? If he was approved for his green card, then he should be approved for citizenship right (as long as we meet the other requirements). I'm just trying to figure out if the road to citizenship is more strict or just more money. :)

Timeline

http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/N-400.pdf

There is a section that asks about criminal history,no clue if its stricter or not.

http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/N-400ins.pdf Only another $675 lol

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Just to add, once you are a permanent resident then the citizenship approval is almost a foregone conclusion. Unless SHH lied on his original application (a crime of omission or one of commission) for permanent residence and/or has violated the laws of the United States (state and/or federal) including misdemeanors that are crimes of moral turpitude within, I believe, 5 years of the issuance of the green card. Green card holders who commit acts of moral turpitude (felonies or misdemeanors) are subject to removal from the United States. Some people think becoming a naturalized citizen is tougher while other disagree but if you don't do anything, they can't touch you. :thumbs:

Edited by IR5FORMUMSIE

IR5

2007-07-27 – Case complete at NVC waiting on the world or at least MTL.

2007-12-19 - INTERVIEW AT MTL, SPLIT DECISION.

2007-12-24-Mom's I-551 arrives, Pop's still in purgatory (AP)

2008-03-11-AP all done, Pop is approved!!!!

tumblr_lme0c1CoS21qe0eclo1_r6_500.gif

Timeline
Just to add, once you are a permanent resident then the citizenship approval is almost a foregone conclusion. Unless SHH lied on his original application (a crime of omission or one of commission) for permanent residence and/or has violated the laws of the United States (state and/or federal) including misdemeanors that are crimes of moral turpitude within, I believe, 5 years of the issuance of the green card. Green card holders who commit acts of moral turpitude (felonies or misdemeanors) are subject to removal from the United States. Some people think becoming a naturalized citizen is tougher while other disagree but if you don't do anything, they can't touch you. :thumbs:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=EMzoBkaFxh4 shake it baby!!!

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline

http://youtube.com/watch?v=EMzoBkaFxh4 shake it baby!!!

Proper! :lol:

IR5

Timeline

If you insist. :lol:

IR5

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.