Missy1

Non Immigrant visa for sister

10 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Hello VJ families, I came into the US on a K1 visa and I have applied to adjust my status since after my marriage. My wife and I got married civilly but now we are planning to have a big church wedding and also traditional marriage according to our native customs. I would like to invite my closest sibling to attend the ceremony but my questions are;

1.Does the US embassy recognize native/traditional marriage ceremony?

2.Would the US embassy regard the church and traditional marriage ceremonial, null and void considering our civil wedding as a legal union?

3.What are the chances of my sister getting a non-immigrant visa?

I will deeply appreciate any comments, contributions and/or advice. Thank you

April 8, 2007 - Visited the love of my life in Nigeria

April 10, 2007 - Engaged

May 21, 2007 - Sent Package to VSC

May 24, 2007 - NOA1 receipt date

August 10, 2007 - Visited the love of my life in Nigeria (again...stayed three weeks)

September 1, 2007 - arrived back in the States

November 5, 2007 - approved!!!

November 6, 2007 - touched

November 9, 2007 - received paper NOA2

November 9, 2007 - NVC forwarded case to consulate

November 15, 2007 - received letter from NVC

November 19, 2007 - fiance has interview date and corresponding forms

December 15, 2007 - Purchase Ticket

January 8, 2008- interview at consulate (approved!)

January 18, 2008- pick up visa

January 19, 2008 - POE (JFK)

February 14, 2008 - married on V-day!

AOS/EAD:

March 14, 2008 - applied for AOS/EAD

March 16, 2008 - AOS/EAD Received

March 20, 2008 - (AOS/EAD) NOA1 Received

March 27, 2008 - Received biometric Appointment

April 8, 2008 - I485 Application transfered to California Service Center

April 11, 2008- Biometrics taken

April 16, 2008 - Touched (AOS Transfered)

May 07, 2008 - Touched

May 08, 2008 - Touched

May 09, 2008 - Touched

May 12, 2008 - Touched

May 13, 2008 - Touched

May 14, 2008 - Touched(EAD card production ordered)

May 19, 2008 - Touched(EAD Approved)

May 19, 2008 - (AOS) Touched

May 19, 2008 - EAD card received!!!

June 05, 2008 - Touched(AOS Card production ordered)

June 09, 2008 - AOS approval notice sent

June 12, 2008 - Green Card received in mail

Timeline

You can only get married officially once without getting divorced. If you have these other servies they are not considered real . The key is the procedure at which your marriage lic. is signed. Many married people will "remarry" at anniversy dates. All the costs none of the paperwork. You can do as you want in that respect as long as your official / first marriage happened here.

As for getting your sister here that is difficult from Nigeria. She has to be able to prove that she doesn't intend on staying. That she has a home and family and a job that she has to return to. Most of us suffer months or years apart while waiting to be reunited because it is so hard to get a non immigrant visa from Africa.

First visit:2007-09-12 to 2008-09-23

I-129F Sent : 2007-11-24

I-129F NOA1 : 2007-11-30

I-129F NOA2 : 2008-03-31

NVC Received : 2008-04-21

NVC Left : 2008-04-23

Consulate Received : 2008-04-28

Packet 3 Received : 2008-05-20

Interivew date : 2008-08-07 CO asks inappropraite questions

His father died: 2008-08-18

Retain Marc Ellis 2008-09

Visited Nigeria again: 2008-11-12

petitioned returned to CSC :2008-11-27

returned to USA 2008-12-13

His father buried 2009-01-03

picks up K1 visa Nov 2009

Marriage Dec 2009

take throne as Igwe /Lolo 2010 or 2011

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline
Hello VJ families, I came into the US on a K1 visa and I have applied to adjust my status since after my marriage. My wife and I got married civilly but now we are planning to have a big church wedding and also traditional marriage according to our native customs. I would like to invite my closest sibling to attend the ceremony but my questions are;

1.Does the US embassy recognize native/traditional marriage ceremony? The US embassy will recognize the marriage certificate. The ceremony is of no consequence to them.

2.Would the US embassy regard the church and traditional marriage ceremonial, null and void considering our civil wedding as a legal union? They don't care. The only time it would be of any concern is when you are in the process of applying for the visa.

3.What are the chances of my sister getting a non-immigrant visa? She will need to prove her intent to return so anything to prove that she has a life in Nigeria that will prevent here from staying in the US (owning a business, school, owning a home, a family, etc etc). You can try but I am not sure about the success rates.

I will deeply appreciate any comments, contributions and/or advice. Thank you

:)

Mama to 2 beautiful boys (August 2011 and January 2015)

Click for full timeline

Filed: Other Country: Nigeria
Timeline

This first section applies to bringing a sibling to live here. If he tries to get a visitor visa it is very difficutly from Nigeria. Almost impossible unless he has a good job, family, money in the bank......basically anything to show he will need to return.

How Do I Bring a Sibling to Live in the United States?

This information is for U.S. citizens who wish to bring a sibling to live permanently in the United States. Only U.S. citizens can bring their siblings to live permanently in the U.S. Lawful Permanent Residents can not.

Definition of a Sibling

A sibling is a brother, sister, stepbrother, stepsister, or adopted brother or sister. For the necessary sibling relationship to exist, each person must have been a child of at least one of the same parents. The siblings need not share the same biological parents as long as both became “children” at the appropriate time (before the age of 16 in cases of adoption, and before the age of 18 for stepchildren).

Overview of the Immigration Process

A legal immigrant (or “lawful permanent resident”) is a foreign national who has been granted the privilege of living and working permanently in the United States. There is a three-step process for your brother or sister to become a legal immigrant:

1. The USCIS must approve an immigrant visa petition that you file for your brother or sister.

2. The State Department visa bulletin must show that a sibling immigrant visa is available to your sibling, based on the date that you filed the immigrant visa application.

3. If your brother or sister is outside the United States when an immigrant visa number becomes available, your brother or sister will be notified to go to the local U.S. consulate to complete the processing for an immigrant visa. If your sibling is legally inside the U.S. when an immigrant visa number becomes available, he or she may apply to adjust status to that of a lawful permanent resident using the Form I-485.

Depending on the relationship and the country involved, the wait for an available sibling visa number may be several years. You may refer to the Department of State’s Visa Bulletin for current priority dates.

Edited by Akinstacey

Timeline
This first section applies to bringing a sibling to live here. If he tries to get a visitor visa it is very difficutly from Nigeria. Almost impossible unless he has a good job, family, money in the bank......basically anything to show he will need to return.

How Do I Bring a Sibling to Live in the United States?

This information is for U.S. citizens who wish to bring a sibling to live permanently in the United States. Only U.S. citizens can bring their siblings to live permanently in the U.S. Lawful Permanent Residents can not.

Definition of a Sibling

A sibling is a brother, sister, stepbrother, stepsister, or adopted brother or sister. For the necessary sibling relationship to exist, each person must have been a child of at least one of the same parents. The siblings need not share the same biological parents as long as both became "children" at the appropriate time (before the age of 16 in cases of adoption, and before the age of 18 for stepchildren).

Overview of the Immigration Process

A legal immigrant (or "lawful permanent resident") is a foreign national who has been granted the privilege of living and working permanently in the United States. There is a three-step process for your brother or sister to become a legal immigrant:

1. The USCIS must approve an immigrant visa petition that you file for your brother or sister.

2. The State Department visa bulletin must show that a sibling immigrant visa is available to your sibling, based on the date that you filed the immigrant visa application.

3. If your brother or sister is outside the United States when an immigrant visa number becomes available, your brother or sister will be notified to go to the local U.S. consulate to complete the processing for an immigrant visa. If your sibling is legally inside the U.S. when an immigrant visa number becomes available, he or she may apply to adjust status to that of a lawful permanent resident using the Form I-485.

Depending on the relationship and the country involved, the wait for an available sibling visa number may be several years. You may refer to the Department of State's Visa Bulletin for current priority dates.

This is an immmigrant visa. The OP is talking about a nonimmigrant visa. The OP is NOT a USC.

Click for full timeline

Timeline

She's not coming here to the US with an immigrant visa as I'm not yet a US citizen. My wife and I want to invite her over on a non- immigrant visa for our wedding ceremony since we didn't had such ceremony when we got married civilly.

I'm just trying to imagine the possibilities of having her here for such occassion though she's not going to stay in the US. The whole senerio is that, my father is a US citizen and he'd petitioned for all my siblings but they won't get a visa until a visa number is available to them because of their age and that will definately be after the traditional marriage ceremony. My thoughts are :

1. Would the invitation for non- immigrant visa affect her status for the immigrant visa petitioned by my father.

2. Would the embassy falsly think this is a deliberate strategy for her to migrate here especially now that two of my younger siblings(below 21years) just got immigrant visa last week through my father's petition.

I'm really confused. I want her to attend my traditional marriage and at the same time I don't want to affect her chances of coming here when visa number becomes available to her case.

April 10, 2007 - Engaged

August 10, 2007 - Visited the love of my life in Nigeria (again...stayed three weeks)

AOS/EAD:

May 07, 2008 - Touched

May 08, 2008 - Touched

May 09, 2008 - Touched

May 12, 2008 - Touched

May 13, 2008 - Touched

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

I think the chances of the Visitor Visa is slim, but it is worth a try.

K-1 Visa Journey

03/10/2007 - Sent I-129F to NSC

06/05/2007 - Approved

06/25/2007 - NVC Case Number received

07/05/2007 - Fiance received Packets 3 and 4

09/06/2007 - INTERVIEW----- APPROVED

09/13/2007 - VISA IN HAND

09/14/2007 - POE AT JFK

10/26/2007 - Wedding

01/17/2008 - Email from CRIS that I-129 was approved!

AOS Journey

10/28/2007 - AOS mailed to Chicago via Federal Express

10/29/2007 - AOS received at Chicago

11/05/2007 - NOA for I-131, I-485, I-765

12/28/2007 - Biometrics

12/29/2007 - Case appeared on USCIS website

12/31/2007 - EAD Card Production Ordered; AP Approved

01/10/2008 - AP Received in mail

01/12/2008 - EAD Card Recieved in mail

07/24/2008 - AOS Interview

07/30/2008 -Card Production Ordered

08/11/2008 - GREEN CARD RECIEVED

04/30/2010 - ROC mailed to CA via USPS Express Mail

08/10/2010 - EAD Card Production Ordered; AOS Approved

04/24/2011 - Mailed N-400

05/12/2011 - Received I-797C

06/08/2011 - Biometrics

07/25/2011 - N-400 Interview

07/25/2011 - Oath Ceremony

MY HUSBAND IS A US CITIZEN!!!

I believe the only answer to the question will come after you try to obtain it. If your sister can show that she has not reason to stay here after arriving, that might give her points to making it possible. Her age, marital status, occupation, stability all play a part in that decision.

The longer it takes to introduce yourself the less you've actually accomplished

Timeline
She's not coming here to the US with an immigrant visa as I'm not yet a US citizen. My wife and I want to invite her over on a non- immigrant visa for our wedding ceremony since we didn't had such ceremony when we got married civilly.

I'm just trying to imagine the possibilities of having her here for such occassion though she's not going to stay in the US. The whole senerio is that, my father is a US citizen and he'd petitioned for all my siblings but they won't get a visa until a visa number is available to them because of their age and that will definately be after the traditional marriage ceremony. My thoughts are :

1. Would the invitation for non- immigrant visa affect her status for the immigrant visa petitioned by my father.

2. Would the embassy falsly think this is a deliberate strategy for her to migrate here especially now that two of my younger siblings(below 21years) just got immigrant visa last week through my father's petition.

I'm really confused. I want her to attend my traditional marriage and at the same time I don't want to affect her chances of coming here when visa number becomes available to her case.

You can only know the outcome if you try. Go ahead and see what happens. You have nothing to lose. Make sure she goes with as much convincing evidence as possible that she is going to return.

If she gets denied it is not going to affect her getting an immigrant visa in the future.

Click for full timeline

Timeline

That's a good one!!! I will give it a try, I hope it goes well.I will keep you guys posted when I start the process and the outcome. Onces again thank u'all

April 10, 2007 - Engaged

AOS/EAD:

May 07, 2008 - Touched

May 08, 2008 - Touched

May 09, 2008 - Touched

May 12, 2008 - Touched

May 13, 2008 - Touched

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.