S and S

Pets and middle eastern spouses

65 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Iraq
Timeline

I am just curious, but do any of you have pets and you had to convince your spouse that it is okay to keep them in the house? I had to go look for fatwas to convince my husband it was Islamically permissable to keep a cat in the house, but thank God I proved it to him. Though he is still unsure about the idea, he has come around a lot since the beginning. I convinced him I could not survive the lonliness if I didn't at least have a pet for this long wait until he comes. Really, having a pet does help a lot, at least for me. Not sure why, but many middle eastern people do not like to let their pets live in the house, though some will have pets. My husband was shocked by all the amenities we have for pets. He joked that our pets have it better than the Iraqis do.

Just wondering what everyone else's opinion is.

Married: May 28th, 2007

Arrived in the US: December 10th, 2008

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Country: Morocco
Timeline

My husband is quite open-minded about pets. We have two cats and he loves them like his own! He also really dreams of getting a dog someday and he's mentioned he would want it to sleep in the bedroom with us (which *I* don't want to do)

He is definitely an animal lover. If there are bees in our pool he scoops them out with his hand so they don't drown. Every year around this time a male and female duck come play in our pool and keep their eggs in a bush somewhere in our yard and they swim around all day. My husband goes out there everyday and feeds them!

I do know that a lot of people here on VJ have not had similar experiences though. I wish you luck in getting your husband used to your pets! :)

Edited by sereia

"It's far better to be alone than wish you were." - Ann Landers

world-map.jpg

Timeline

That is so great about your husband. I hope I can get mine to at least like my cat. His whole family has started asking about her, they even want to see her on the camera. I gave her an arabic name so they find that amusing.

As for my husband, I think he is just jealous that my cat gets to be with me. It drove him crazy that I was feeding the stray cats when I came to see him. He couldn't get rid of them after I left, lol.

Timeline

HAHA I used to feed the stray cats in Morocco too. I'd save a bit of my dinner and when we'd on a walk I would hand it out as we went along. I can't help it! :D

I'm sure your husband will eventually warm up to your cat. Give it time! :)

"It's far better to be alone than wish you were." - Ann Landers

world-map.jpg

Timeline

We have two gorgeous but occasionally naughty cats. My husband adores them...but he came from a family in Morocco that had a family cat and dog.

Simo tried to treat the cats like his cat in Morocco--feeding them people food, not fixing them, etc. but I'm afraid that didn't work with indoor cats. The cats definitely prefer their boring cat food to people food (except they love yogurt). And getting them spayed and neutered became obviously necessary after a while.

Carolyn and Simo

Fell in love in Morocco: March 2004

Welcome to the USA: May 19, 2005 :)

Our Wedding Day: July 9, 2005

AOS interview: March, 2006--Success!

Applied for Removal of Conditions on Residence: March, 2008--Approved August 11, 2008

Baby Ilyas born: August 16, 2008!

rPXNm5.png

Timeline

Actually, my husband insisted my cat be tested for any diseases and wanted her vaccinated so taking her to the vet didn't upset him. I don't think he liked that I got her fixed, but after I described how many cats are euthanized every year and that it isn't fair to bring more into the world so that others will never get a home, he let it go and let me get her fixed. The cat food thing is weird to him, but I explained it is much healthier. I do give treats of human food once in a great while.

HAHA I used to feed the stray cats in Morocco too. I'd save a bit of my dinner and when we'd on a walk I would hand it out as we went along. I can't help it! :D

I'm sure your husband will eventually warm up to your cat. Give it time! :)

ha ha, same here seria. When i was in jordan, my husband had a balcony and i would be out throwing food for the cats from the balcony. it was fun until some ppl got into the crossfire. :unsure: ..lol i guess my aim wasnt very good but i couldnt stop so i learned to be very careful. i felt like i was a sniper :blink:

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Filed: Country: Palestine
Timeline

We have 2 cats. My husband has never had a problem with them coming in the house. One likes to sleep on the bed once in a while and the other on the sofa (usually only when it's very cold,) but most of the time they both prefer to sleep outside on the porch or in the backyard.

6y04dk.jpg
شارع النجمة في بيت لحم

Too bad what happened to a once thriving VJ but hardly a surprise

al Nakba 1948-2015
66 years of forced exile and dispossession

Copyright © 2015 by PalestineMyHeart. Original essays, comments by and personal photographs taken by PalestineMyHeart are the exclusive intellectual property of PalestineMyHeart and may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere in any manner without express written permission from PalestineMyHeart.

Filed: Timeline

Yes, Molly is fat and happy at my daughter Jessicas house. It has been 4 years since I gave her up and she still to this day will look at me as if to say 'When are you bringing me home?' I still call her 'my' baby. I work full time and I can't have her where I am now. La Princessa doesn't care if I am gone 9 hours. Molly Tamale would worry herself to a frazzle if left alone that long. :D

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Kuwait
Timeline

Everytime my husband calls me on the phone, after how is the family, than how is the dog? ####### I am about to parchute the dog over kuwait and let him have the naughty dog. Yes, husband loves the dog, typically man, just kidding, but it is funny I will try to go on to something I think is important only to have my husband stop me and ask about Gus, the dog. :wacko:

A woman is like a tea bag- you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water.

Eleanor Roosevelt

thquitsmoking3.jpg

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

Ahmed is also amazed that we take animals to the dr, more than some people there he says. He is leary of being around my dog that it will bite and questions about her staying outside, i said no more inside. Once tho he said he had a dream about the dog (not me) wonder if he was being bitten in his dream ha He has been told the dog stays.....

TIMELINE

04/04/2007 K1 Interview from H...w/the devil herself

06/12/2007 Rec'd Notification Case Now Back In Calif. only to expire

-------------

11/20/2007 Married in Morocco

02/23/2008 Mailed CR1 application today

03/08/2008 NOA1 Notice Recd (notice date 3/4/08)

08/26/2008 File transfered fr Vermont to Calif

10/14/2008 APPROVALLLLLLLLLLLL

10/20/2008 Recd hard copy NOA2

10/20/2008 NVC Recd case

11/21/2008 CASE COMPLETE

01/15/2009 INTERVIEW

01/16/2009 VISA IN HAND

01/31/2009 ARRIVED OKC

BE WHO YOU ARE AND SAY WHAT YOU FEEL, BECAUSE THOSE WHO MIND DONT MATTER AND THOSE WHO MATTER DONT MIND

YOU CANT CHANGE THE PAST BUT YOU CAN RUIN THE PRESENT BY WORRYING OVER THE FUTURE

TRIP.... OVER LOVE, AND YOU CAN GET UP

FALL.... IN LOVE, AND YOU FALL FOREVER

I DO HAVE THE RIGHT TO REMAIN SILENT, JUST NOT THE ABILITY

LIKE THE MEASLES, LOVE IS MOST DANGEROUS WHEN IT COMES LATER IN LIFE

LIFE IS NOT THE WAY ITS SUPPOSED TO BE, ITS THE WAY IT IS

I MAY NOT BE WHERE I WANT TO BE BUT IM SURE NOT WHERE I WAS

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.