miketexas

Getting married on a tourist Visa

11 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Brazil
Timeline

My question is I am in Brazil on a tourist visa and getting married in May... Can I still submit the paper work for the K-3 visa here in Brazil at the american embessay instead of going back to texas to fill at the service center?

Also once i get married on the tourist visa what happens can I stay longer past my 6months...we cant get much out of the Federal Police here in this city.

Filed: Timeline
My question is I am in Brazil on a tourist visa and getting married in May... Can I still submit the paper work for the K-3 visa here in Brazil at the american embessay instead of going back to texas to fill at the service center?

Also once i get married on the tourist visa what happens can I stay longer past my 6months...we cant get much out of the Federal Police here in this city.

Could you please clarify some things. You are in Brazil? Getting married in Brazil? Want to bring your spouse to the US? If that is accurate then perhaps you should check out the DCF Forum, Direct Consular Filing. It is the fastest way, but very hard to qualify for. But if you just might. You will need to check out the Embassy there to find out.

Timeline

Sorry Yes I can be a little more helpful. I was in a hurry lastnight. Yes, I am in brazil and on a tourist visa will be married in brasil in the state of S.P. Our plans are to bring her to the USA.

Can you tell me a little more about this DCF

thanks for your time.

Filed: Other Timeline

there's a forum here at VJ for Direct Consular Filing, if you're eligible that'll be your quickest route. That'll get your spouse a green card, not a K3. However, if you're not eligible, you'll have to fle the I-130 to the service center in the US for your geographic region of your residence in the US, adn then the I-129F to Missouri. You can't file an I-130 for K3 at a foreign post I don't think.

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

Here is the link for the DCF Guide http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?autocom=custom&page=dcf which you can at any time find in the Guide Tab at the top of each page.

You can find me on FBI

An overview of Security Name Checks And Administrative Review at Service Center, NVC & Consulate levels.

Detailed Review USCIS Alien Security Checks

fb2fc244.gif72c97806.gif4d488a91.gif

11324375801ij.gif

View Timeline HERE

I am but a wench not a lawyer. My advice and opinion is just that. I read, I research, I learn.

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

http://www.embaixada-americana.org.br/inde...itemmenu=58#pet

Filing an immigrant visa petition (I-130) is the first step in the immigration process. If you are an US citizen residing in Brazil, you can file a petition for an immigrant visa for your Brazilian spouse, parent (if you are over 21 years of age), or child under 21 years old.

In exceptional emergency circumstances, an American, non resident of Brazil may file petitions at the Consulate (for spouse, parent, or unmarried child under 21 years of age). Proof of the emergency involved will be required at the moment you file.

------

Bolding is mine. I do not think you will be allowed to file at the Consulate, but you can always try. If they say no, you must mail your petition to the US.

If you want to also petition for the K-3 (may be faster, may not be) you can do so after you have proof of the I-130 being filed.

It is not likely that your wife will be coming to the US within the 6 months of your tourist visa. She will have to provide your financial info at her interview(s) so make sure that your time out of the US will not affect that.

Speak to an expat American in Brazil about how to extend your tourist visa. You may not be able to stay in Brazil longer than 6 months, or you may (from being married--you'll need a new permit tho).

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

Timeline

Thank you everyone for your great replies. I think what I will do is Get married in May in Brasil and then apply for naturalization. I found out today I can stay longer if i apply for this while we wait on the K-3 petition. I also found out today that Yes i must send my k-3 petition the I-130 to texas. I can just have someone from my family it mail it for me. Lord willing all will work out.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline
Thank you everyone for your great replies. I think what I will do is Get married in May in Brasil and then apply for naturalization. I found out today I can stay longer if i apply for this while we wait on the K-3 petition. I also found out today that Yes i must send my k-3 petition the I-130 to texas. I can just have someone from my family it mail it for me. Lord willing all will work out.

Be careful! USA doesnt accept dual-citizen... So, Im afraid if you naturalize brazilian citizen, you may loose your US citizen... Im not sure... Someone could clarify if Im right???

Carol :unsure:

coracao.gif

CAROL & MARC

MY HONEY'S PROFILE

Remove Conditions

08-28-08 - Mailed I-751

08-30-08 - Delivered

09-01-08 - Touched

09-03-08 - Check cleared

09-06-08 - NOA1 in the mail (dated 08/29???)

10-09-08 - Biometrics (Touched)

12-16-08 - Email "Card production ordered"

12-24-08 - Santa came and brought my present (Greencard in the mail!)

kitazura.gifkpuppy1.gif

BICHON FRISE LOVER!!!

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

Be careful! USA doesnt accept dual-citizen... So, Im afraid if you naturalize brazilian citizen, you may loose your US citizen... Im not sure... Someone could clarify if Im right???

Carol :unsure:

The US does not recognize the taking of another citizenship as intent to give up your US Citizenship. Actually, getting rid of US Citizenship is quite difficult...

It is true that the US does not recognize Dual citizenship.. but in the effect that the US Governemnt does not recognize your other citizenships in your dealings with them.. (like for taxation, entry into the US, etc.)

Edited by zyggy

Knowledge itself is power - Sir Francis Bacon

I have gone fishing... you can find me by going here http://**removed due to TOS**

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

It looks as if we all answered on the assumption that you are a US citizen. Are you? Are you talking about taking Brazillian citz or naturalizing to US citz?

You should investigate the dual citz rules for Brazil; there does not seem to be a clear understanding of it here.

You are wrong about where the different petitions go; I think you had better do some more reading before you mail or do anything. Lord willing won't be enough to get your case through if you file it incorrectly.

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.