Jeraly

You know you're living in America and not the UK when...

208 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
..... you can not find an electrical screw driver in the hardware stores ! (all they sell are test probes, ####### !)

Glad to hear this isn't just a Tennessee thing!! It drives me CRAZY!!!!!! :angry:

(I'm not sure why you can't find an electric screwdriver, though!)

I don't believe we have electric screwdrivers here, actually. What I know we DO have are electric drills, to which you can attach various screwdriver bits. There's even dinky ones about the size of an overlarge screwdriver, for that authentic feel. :)

05-13-06 - Met at Neo Nightclub in Chicago through a mutual friend.

05-24-06 - First formal date, followed immediately by weekend spent together.

09-07-06 - First trip to the UK. Sick most of the time, loved it anyway. :)

11-21-06 - Alasdair comes in for Thanksgiving.

03-28-07 - Second trip to the UK, flew out to Northern Ireland to meet the parents.

06-12-07 - Alasdair's next visit, we go everywhere and do everything. :)

06-17-07 - We become formally engaged, though it'd been in discussion for months.

07-27-07 - I-129F packet sent to Nebraska Service Center.

07-30-07 - I-129F packet received at Nebraska Service Center and forwarded to California.

08-24-07 - Check finally cashed!

08-25-07 - NOA1 Received!

01-30-08 - NOA2 Finally Received!

03-18-08 - Packet 3 Received!

04-03-08 - Packet 4 Received!

04-28-08 - Interview at 8:30am

Fiance still an idiot, sent wrong doc, still waiting on arrival date.

3052.gif

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can draw money out of the bank, fill the car up with gas, buy beer, pick up your prescription and wash your car all without standing up.

LMAO! isn't that just soooo true! thats something very different from England!

.png

.png

2/5/07 - 2 Year Green Card arrives!!! YAY!!!!

5/10/08 - Received RI Driver's License!

11/10/08 - Removing Conditions - Sent package out!

11/19/08 - Received Notice of Action - 1 year extension on my current green card - now waiting for biometrics letter.

11/28/08 - Received biometrics letter.

12/12/08 - Biometrics appointment - 10am.

01/13/09 - Still waiting............

06/08/09 - Card in production and on it's way!

06/22/09 - Received 10 Year Green Card! YAY!!

happy13.gif thforevertogether.gif

thNevergiveup.gif love9.gif

blinkie18.gif

Made_in_England.gif

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: England
Timeline
..... you can not find an electrical screw driver in the hardware stores ! (all they sell are test probes, ####### !)

Glad to hear this isn't just a Tennessee thing!! It drives me CRAZY!!!!!! :angry:

I don't believe we have electric screwdrivers here, actually. What I know we DO have are electric drills, to which you can attach various screwdriver bits. There's even dinky ones about the size of an overlarge screwdriver, for that authentic feel. :)

Well, about 3 years ago I opened a checking account and received a "cordless screwdriver". Imagine my amazement! I thought, aren't they all cordless?? :blink: Turns out I can charge up my screwdriver and electrically twist my screws! And yet I've never used it once! :lol:

I guess I'm just old fashioned! :blush:

..... you see the crappy way the adverts are done on TV (e.g they cut the advert before it's finished airing or you see a brief 1 - 3 second ad and then a full advert, seems to me that they recycle the tape without erazing it first, a classic case of poor editorial skills)

..... you attempt to get in the wrong side of the car to drive down the shops ! (yep, done it here ... opps)

..... you can not find your fav food in the shops (cream, double cream, thick double cream, weetabix.

..... someone cuts you up on the road without using their indicators and mirrors just to be in front of you !

..... you have a tail gater ..... they tend to sit on your rear as if they are looking through the contents in the back of the car...... ####### .... sometimes I feel like stopping the car in the middle of the road and walking to the back and opening the boot and asking the driver if s/he wants anything from it !

LOL! I've definitely walked round to the wrong side of the car, many times! you hope no one saw you do it! lol

:angry: tail gaters! I'm in Rhode Island and I'm sorry there are many many a-hole drivers around here!! just for something to do they will ride right up your back side, then under take you and park themselves right in front of you, then they go slower and have a 10 car gap infront of them, just for the sake of p**ing you off! and another one, people tailgating you in the slow lane! and your doing 70 mph when your meant to be doing 55!! my remedy spray them with the window washer fluid, that gets some people to slow down! :bonk:

.png

.png

2/5/07 - 2 Year Green Card arrives!!! YAY!!!!

5/10/08 - Received RI Driver's License!

11/10/08 - Removing Conditions - Sent package out!

11/19/08 - Received Notice of Action - 1 year extension on my current green card - now waiting for biometrics letter.

11/28/08 - Received biometrics letter.

12/12/08 - Biometrics appointment - 10am.

01/13/09 - Still waiting............

06/08/09 - Card in production and on it's way!

06/22/09 - Received 10 Year Green Card! YAY!!

happy13.gif thforevertogether.gif

thNevergiveup.gif love9.gif

blinkie18.gif

Made_in_England.gif

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: England
Timeline
my remedy spray them with the window washer fluid, that gets some people to slow down! :bonk:

Yep, that works!

The other trick (this only works on a single lane road) is that when they get right up your ####### like that, you slow waaaaaaaaaaay down. Say, from 40 (speed limit is 35) to 25 or 30.

It makes them back off, plus it's funny at the same time

I do that allll the time in the UK :lol: I love it - if there is someone being particularly awful I just slow down loads then pull away really fast at the lights or a busy junction so they are stuck and I zip off into the distance :D

(¯`v´¯).•*¨`*•?.•´*.¸.•´*

.`*.¸.*´ ~Timeline~

¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)

(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•

10 Year GC Received 03/16/11 - Apply for Citizenship 01/28/12!

*´•.¸.*´•.?•*`.¸

(¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•? •

Updating our story and website @ Jeraly.com!

Ucavm8.png?5mOl2yoSa4X9m8.png?i1gWjM94

Join the VJ facebook group! • • • Live in Cali? Join the Brits in California facebook group!

August 2008 AOS Spreadsheet is here! • • • July 2007 K-1 Spreadsheet is here!

It's a screw driver that electricians use, it has a bulb in the handle that lights up when used to test for an 'electrical current', so it acts as a 'probe' as well as a 'screw driver'.

Huh? Our power screwdriver doesn't have a bulb in the handle, nor does it test for an electrical current. It's just a screwdriver which you put on a charger, remove and use. The head in it can be turned either way in the end - depending on whether or not you need ar phillips or flat head.

SA4userbar.jpg

..... when you ask for lemonade and get squash :) lemonade is fizzy i tell you

..... when you get asked so.... how do round abouts work again???

.... when people ask so... how do you go forward in rugby if the ball has to go backwards!!! hahaaha

Colin & Jess

*K-1 Visa Timeline*

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

I-129F Sent USPS: 08-18-2008

I-129F arrived at VSC: 08-21-08

Check cashed by VSC: 08-24-08

I-129F NOA1 : 08-24-08

I-129F NOA2 (CHECKED ON WEBSITEl) : 1-28-09

NOA 2 (IN HAND) : 1-29-09

NVC Received : 02-06-09

NVC Left : 02-10-09

Consulate Received : 02-11-09

Packet 3 Received : 02-13-09

Packet 3 Sent to London (minus checklist): 03-02-09

Packet 3 Received in London( found out via calling embassy and email) : 03-12-09

Packet 3 checlist sent back: 03-27-09

Medical: 03-26-09 canceled due to operation... rescheduled for 04/23/09

Packet 4 Received :04-06-09

Interview Date : 04-27-09 ( APPROVED pending medical results)

Visa Received :

US Entry : 04-13-09 via Dallas Fort Worth airport

Marriage : 06-06-09

AOS time line

I-485(+EAD&AP) sent: 07/21/09

Arrived: 07/23/09

Biometrics: 08/26/09

RFE: 08/10/09 but got letter 10-23-09 (you have 87days to answer an RFE)

RFE RECEIVED: 30-10-09 at 4pm

Interview:

AOS transfer(if any):4/11/09

Approval/denial date:

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

............how about.............when you get asked at a local Walmart............why are you acting like you are from England by putting on that accent??? :huh: and when my husband said Im not putting it on......I really am from England.........the cashier argued with him and said no your

not your just putting on that accent and its not a very good one LMAO OMG........my hubby was soooo mad :rofl:

OR

......in England do they translate American movies into English.............huh????? :huh:

......how does England celebrate the 4th of July..................OMG LOL...... :huh:

~~Sharri USA & Neil UK~~

12/03/04....Married.....finally

01/11/05....Got SS card in Mail :)

02/12/05....Sent out AOS, EAD & AP Certified Mail Finally !!!

02/18/05....Return Receipt Signed from Chicago Lockbox

(They have our AOS)

03/10/05....AOS NOA 1 for AOS, & AP received in Mail

03/10/05....Appt date for Biometrics & Fingerprinting St Louis

on March 23, 05 :)

04/07/05....Approval for EAD & AP via On Line :)

05/20/05....Finally Got Green card after having to contact

State Representative's Office.

Big mess with INS losing paperwork :-(

10/18/05 I N T E R V I E W in St Louis

Got RFE for W2's have 90 days to resubmit them

11/10/05....Found out there is another person in the USA with

the same name as my husbands :o !! Spelled the

same way and he's from ENGLAND TOO :-O

10/31/07....Sent I-751 to Remove Conditions (in the system yet again....ugh)

12/07.........10 yr Green Card Granted....Yipee!!

12/07.........Conditions Lifted.......Permanent Resident in the US of A......hooray!!!

............how about.............when you get asked at a local Walmart............why are you acting like you are from England by putting on that accent??? :huh: and when my husband said Im not putting it on......I really am from England.........the cashier argued with him and said no your

not your just putting on that accent and its not a very good one LMAO OMG........my hubby was soooo mad :rofl:

That would drive me bananas! I'm pathetic at attempting other accents so the last thing I'd want is for someone to think I was putting on my own! :wacko:

I'm loving the things mentioned in this thread - I don't have anything to add, and I haven't encountered many of these things...yet - but I have certainly gone to the wrong side of the car before.

sharasugar.pngsharanomsugar.png

07/11/2006 - First met

08/22/2008 - K1 Visa in hand

12/27/2008 - Marriage

05/20/2009 - AOS complete

10/06/2011 - ROC complete

04/20/2012 - Annaleah born!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

This is a great thread very entertaining, thanks for starting it.

Sal and Jay

K1 - Complete
AOS - Complete
EAD - Complete
AP - Complete
ROC - Complete

N400-Complete

I am a United States citizen!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.