me!

sponsor and co-sponsor for I-134

6 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Poland
Timeline

Hello, I have two questions. I am trying to sponsor my fiance, but will need a co-sponsor. Do both myself and the co-sponsor fill out separate I-134 forms, or does only the co-sponsor fill out this form?

My co-sponsor is just short of the poverty guidelines for their household, and I for mine. Will this work? Or do I need to find someone who is over the line for a co-sponsor? Is there any way we could be considered a combined income for a combined household, because then we would be over?

Thanks! I'm stressin' a lot over this :-)

I-129F sent 11-15-07

I-129F received 11-19-07

NOA1 issued 11-21-07

Check Cashed 11-26-07

Filed: Timeline
Hello, I have two questions. I am trying to sponsor my fiance, but will need a co-sponsor. Do both myself and the co-sponsor fill out separate I-134 forms, or does only the co-sponsor fill out this form?

My co-sponsor is just short of the poverty guidelines for their household, and I for mine. Will this work? Or do I need to find someone who is over the line for a co-sponsor? Is there any way we could be considered a combined income for a combined household, because then we would be over?

Thanks! I'm stressin' a lot over this :-)

Hey!

Hmm, I know that FOR SURE both you AND your co-sponsor MUST fill out individual I-134's. This is 100% for sure.

In terms of your co-sponsor being short and you being short, from what I understand it doesn't matter if you're JUST short, or a LOT short, you're still short. Also from what I understand, the embassy looks at both I-134's and picks the one that is capable of supporting the fiance. If both you and your co-sponsor cannot support, I think it'd be a good idea to get a different co-sponsor. I am not 100% sure on this, so don't take my advice just yet, wait to see what someone else says!!

Good luck!!!

Also, remember that with your co-sponsor, they must be able to support not only YOUR fiance, but also themselves and any dependents (people that financially depend on them legally).

So if your co-sponsor is supporting himself, your fiance, and a child, then he has to have adequate income to support a household of 3.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Poland
Timeline

I guess that was my problem. When I looked at my parents income for a household of 5 (my brothers who are still dependents and my fiance) the family size was too large to make the line. With me, I talked to my work people again yesterday and they were trying to tell me I'm not permanently employed as I am a graduate student and can be kicked out at any time for bad grades. But my dad looked at the finances again last night, and it looks like they're over the line, and the dean here said they'll call me permanent if I pass my end of the year review in a month, so I'll be over the line too. I think I'll still submit forms both for me and my parents though, just in case they decide not to count one of us for any reason. Right now I'm SO jealous of my friends who graduated undergrad and got real jobs instead of staying in school. They wouldn't have all this confusion! Thanks everyone for your help!

I-129F sent 11-15-07

I-129F received 11-19-07

NOA1 issued 11-21-07

Check Cashed 11-26-07

I guess that was my problem. When I looked at my parents income for a household of 5 (my brothers who are still dependents and my fiance) the family size was too large to make the line. With me, I talked to my work people again yesterday and they were trying to tell me I'm not permanently employed as I am a graduate student and can be kicked out at any time for bad grades. But my dad looked at the finances again last night, and it looks like they're over the line, and the dean here said they'll call me permanent if I pass my end of the year review in a month, so I'll be over the line too. I think I'll still submit forms both for me and my parents though, just in case they decide not to count one of us for any reason. Right now I'm SO jealous of my friends who graduated undergrad and got real jobs instead of staying in school. They wouldn't have all this confusion! Thanks everyone for your help!

Hey,

dont worry i am in the same situation as you. I am a full time student, but with me I have almost no income whatsoever. My mom is going to co-sponsor for me and she is well over the line. So wait, your dad is going to co-sponsor for you then? and what about the university saying you're an employee? i don't understand that.

HAVE YOU CHECKED out the link of the 2008 poverty guidlines? http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...amp;pid=1539169

For a family of five, your family must make like 31,000 for a family of five, including the co-sponsor themselves, you, your brother, and your fiance.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.