Ricca711

Taking Family to Ghana

15 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

Hello all,

My mom really wants to be a part of our engagement and has agreed to travel to Ghana. She has never been on a plane and uses a wheelchair to assist with mobility. My concern is how in the world am I going to get her from the plane in Ghana...down all those steps and into the bus that takes us to the terminal. I called the airport in Accra but the agents were not able to help me. I have been reading information from the website below, but I am not getting the answers that I need. If anyone has any advice I would really appreciate your help.

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/spe...orial_1371.shtm

Thank you

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ethiopia
Timeline

Is your fiance or one of his friends able to carry her? If not, I'm sure someone with the airlines will assist with your mom. I know there is a lot of anxiety about accommodations for family members with disabilities, but I know someone will have to assist (they're not going to leave her on the plane!). I pray that they are patient in kind when helping the both of you.

Also, just a reminder, the TSA information only applies in the US because its a US agency.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline

The airport in Accra is not exactly designed to be wheelchair friendly. Have you tried calling the airlines you are traveling with? If the airport is not being too helpful maybe they airline can do something.

Mama to 2 beautiful boys (August 2011 and January 2015)

Click for full timeline

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline

Can she get down the stairs? I didn't have to get on a bus. I walked down the stairs of the airplane and then along the tarmac and into a little tunnel like area that was really all ramps down to the airport. That seemed accessible, but I must admit I wasn't paying much attention for that particular issue at the time. It seemed like the biggest hurdle is her getting off the plane and that was steps.

I remember the ramps because Bassi's cousin was travelling with me last time and he's disabled but not wheelchair bound. He uses a cane to get around. The hardest part was the steps from the airplane.

Edited by Bassi and Zainab

GHANA.GIFBassi and Zainab US1.GIF

I-129F Sent: 6-18-2007

Interview date: 6-24-2008

Pick up Visa: 6-27-2008

Arrive JFK POE: 7-2-2008

Marriage: 7-9-2008

AOS

mailed AOS, EAD, AP: 8-22-2008

NOA AOS, EAD, AP: 8-27-2008

Biometrics: 9-18-2008

AOS Transferred to CSC: 9-25-2008

Requested EAD Expedite: 11-12-2008

EAD Card production ordered: 11-12-2008 changed to 11/17/2008 Why? (I hope it doesn't change every week!)

Received AP: 11/17/2008

Received EAD: 11/22/08 (Praise God!!)

AOS RFE: 1/29/2009

AOS Approved: 3/24/2009

Called USCIS 4/1/2009 told no status change and case not yet reviewed from RFE request.

Received green card: 4/3/2009

Timeline

Reeses16,

I never thought of the option of Samuel and a friend carrying her. I know they would do it. But my mother might feel very uncomfortable with it. She suffers from a condition similar to MS. As you might know there is pain involved even when you try to handle her gently. I would like to think that someone at the airport would help me. But since my mother is involved, and this is her first time going out of the country and flying, I will have to be 100% sure of the accommodations. Thank you for your suggestions.

Zee,

I will narrow down which airline I am going to use. I figure that too many transfers would not be good. So, a flight from Cleveland to JFK and on to Accra seems best. The ticket will be significantly more expensive but worth it as long as my mom is comfortable.

Zainab,

No, my mom cannot get down the stairs. She is frightened to go down the five that lead out her house. Even now someone always has to stand in front of her. The information you suggested on the ramps was awesome. Personally, I can’t remember either if there was a ramp. It was my first time in Africa and that was the last thing on my mind. At least now I know, if I can just get her down the stairs, I could then walk her to the terminal for check-in.

Thanks again to everyone for the advice.

Edited by Ricca711

Timeline
Reeses16,

I never thought of the option of Samuel and a friend carrying her. I know they would do it. But my mother might feel very uncomfortable with it. She suffers from a condition similar to MS. As you might know there is pain involved even when you try to handle her gently. I would like to think that someone at the airport would help me. But since my mother is involved, and this is her first time going out of the country and flying, I will have to be 100% sure of the accommodations. Thank you for your suggestions.

Ricca, the army/police (not sure what they were, but they looked liked military personnel) don't let anyone into the airport without a ticket to travel. So, I don't think they'll let them not only into the airport but out to the airplane to carry your mom. I think your best bet now is to talk to a major airline. Call KLM or British Airways and tell them you have a wedding planned in Accra (a little white lie won't hurt and garner you empathy) and your mother is disabled and ask how they would handle getting her physically from the airplane despite her limited mobility. You don't have to have a ticket to ask a question and plus the one with the best answer might be reason enough to book with them.

I was also going to advise that maybe her doctor can give her something because traveling is going to be uncomfortable no matter what you do for her. So maybe she can take something to ease the pain and transition her then she'll be able to enjoy her time in Ghana.

AOS

EAD Card production ordered: 11-12-2008 changed to 11/17/2008 Why? (I hope it doesn't change every week!)

Called USCIS 4/1/2009 told no status change and case not yet reviewed from RFE request.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline
Zee,

I will narrow down which airline I am going to use. I figure that too many transfers would not be good. So, a flight from Cleveland to JFK and on to Accra seems best. The ticket will be significantly more expensive but worth it as long as my mom is comfortable.

If you want the least number of transfers I would suggest Delta. If you take them from Cleveland to JFK to Accra it is much cheaper than buying on different airlines (at least in my experience). They are the most direct way to get to Ghana.

Zainab,

No, my mom cannot get down the stairs. She is frightened to go down the five that lead out her house. Even now someone always has to stand in front of her. The information you suggested on the ramps was awesome. Personally, I can't remember either if there was a ramp. It was my first time in Africa and that was the last thing on my mind. At least now I know, if I can just get here down the stairs, I could then walk her to the terminal for check-in.

There is a going into the airport, not a ramp from the plane to the airport. So you still have to deal with the stairs from the plane to the ground. Would she be OK with the stairs since you are going to be with her? I'm not sure if the airport will allow Samuel and a friend out to the plane to carry her down. Maybe the flight attendants can help?

Mama to 2 beautiful boys (August 2011 and January 2015)

Click for full timeline

Hello,

I just noticed that you said your mother has something similar to MS. Since I have MS, I hope I can help you with some suggestions on how to make your mother's trip more comfortable. I am not sure where your flight originates, but I would suggest taking as many stops as possible so that she is able to get up and move around. Even though she may not want to do that, it will help her circulation. If she take anti-inflamatory meds, she might need to keep those handy after the flight. I am not sure if you are flying coach, but it will be real important for her to raise her legs over her heart some time during the flight. She needs to also move around to avoid getting clots on top of everything else.

People may look at her and she may feel like an idiot, but doing excercises on long flights may make the difference between being taken off the plane on an ambulance or walking off of the plane with assistance. Also ask to see if they will allow her to move up to First Class. (It doesn't hurt to ask) I have more information on that and I can PM it to you if you'd like.

As for assistance, I made arrangements to exit the rear door where the food handlers come in. I didn't need it as I did everything I could in order to walk off of the plane. However, Air France told me that I could wait for everyone to deplane and then I could use their lift if necessary.

She can have a wonderful time there by just taking a few unpleasant steps up front.

Hope all goes well

Chispas

Reeses16,

Zee,

Zainab,

No, my mom cannot get down the stairs. She is frightened to go down the five that lead out her house. Even now someone always has to stand in front of her. The information you suggested on the ramps was awesome. Personally, I can’t remember either if there was a ramp. It was my first time in Africa and that was the last thing on my mind. At least now I know, if I can just get her down the stairs, I could then walk her to the terminal for check-in.

The longer it takes to introduce yourself the less you've actually accomplished

Timeline

After some serious research and many phone calls...Delta does have a lift to take my mom to the ground. I was informed that all airlines have them but you have to let them know in advance. KLM claims that sometimes at the airport in Accra the equipment might not be available, therefore they would not make any guarantees. All the others guarantee the lift. I just wanted to give an update so in case anyone else might be faced with this task. Thanks again for all the advice. Now....I better get busy on those passports.

Edited by Ricca711

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ethiopia
Timeline

Ricca, I'm glad you got some definite answers. My family is slowing coming around to the idea of traveling to Ethiopia. Good to know, my grandparents could make it.

I also wanted to invite you to check out my travel website: www.ajtraveltips.com

I haven't updated it in a while, but it's a one stop place. I have links for currency, TSA, passports, immunizations, how to register your trip with the US embassy, etc. If you check it out let me know what you think and please feel free to make suggestions.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Liberia
Timeline
After some serious research and many phone calls...Delta does have a lift to take my mom to the ground. I was informed that all airlines have them but you have to let them know in advance. KLM claims that sometimes at the airport in Accra the equipment might not be available, therefore they would not make any guarantees. All the others guarantee the lift. I just wanted to give an update so in case anyone else might be faced with this task. Thanks again for all the advice. Now....I better get busy on those passports.

I'm really glad that you were able to get that dilemma resolved. Great news!

Ricca, I'm glad you got some definite answers. My family is slowing coming around to the idea of traveling to Ethiopia. Good to know, my grandparents could make it.

I also wanted to invite you to check out my travel website: www.ajtraveltips.com

I haven't updated it in a while, but it's a one stop place. I have links for currency, TSA, passports, immunizations, how to register your trip with the US embassy, etc. If you check it out let me know what you think and please feel free to make suggestions.

Dodie, I will check out your website. Thanks for the link!

Yea!!

The longer it takes to introduce yourself the less you've actually accomplished

Timeline

Great news Ricca!

AOS

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.