GnomeGrrl

Post Interview Drama

7 posts in this topic

We had our interviews at the Consulate 4 weeks ago. We're just waiting on our medicals to be complete, which required extra paperwork from our local hospital (public health system = sloooooow). They have that paperwork now, so we're expecting it to get to the Consulate next week at the latest, and for our passports to be back with The Almighty Stamp soon after. I've been almost ready to breathe a huge sigh of relief and concentrate on selling the house and packing our bags for a wonderful reunion with the husband I haven't seen in almost 16 months ...

Until tonight when I got one of *those* phone calls from my 16 year old son saying "Mum, I'm alright, BUT ...". It would seem he was driving stupidly on a gravel road and was in a head on collision. He came out of it with only a gashed head so he was very lucky considering he wasn't wearing a seatbelt. I arrived on the scene in enough time to jump in the ambulance with him and left my father to talk to the police, who said that they'd catch up with us in a couple of days and that my son would be referred to Youth Aid.

He doesn't have a drivers license and admitted to driving recklessly, so there will probably be charges but we have no idea what. It's up to Youth Aid. Through that system, he probably won't wind up with a criminal conviction so long as he complies with everything the court asks him to do (bail, reparation, community service etc) and because it's juvenile, it's sealed regardless.

I know I'm probably getting ahead of myself since we don't know what's going to happen yet, but I'm panicking about the embassy. What ramifications are there and what should I do? Should I fess up, or keep my mouth shut and hope for the best?

My apologies for rambling. I'm a little bit stressed right now ... particularly when in true teenage style, he screws up and he's grumping at me. :wacko:

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I'm sorry to hear about your son's accident, but I'm glad that he only received minor injuries. I'm guessing that your son is also immigrating to the US with you?

It sounds like there are two things that will need to be resolved.

1. Your son's reparations in regard to the accident. Depending on the court system, this may take some time and may delay you actually moving to the US.

2. The effect of the accident on his immigration. Here is a list from the state department regarding ineligibility. If you look at 221(a)(2)(I) and the following sections, I think you'll find your answer. I would (and do) highly recommend always being honest with government authorities during the immigration process, and maybe the embassy can provide clarification in this matter.

http://travel.state.gov/visa/frvi/ineligib...ities_1364.html

CR1 application

I-130: 03/26/2007-07/02/2007 at NSC

NVC: 07/20/2007-11/08/2007

Interview at Montreal Consulate: 01/18/2008

(2 months' additional security checks)

Received Green Card: 05/12/2008

Removal of Conditions

I-751: 2/25/10-

I'm sorry to hear about your son's accident, but I'm glad that he only received minor injuries. I'm guessing that your son is also immigrating to the US with you?

1. Your son's reparations in regard to the accident. Depending on the court system, this may take some time and may delay you actually moving to the US.

2. The effect of the accident on his immigration. Here is a list from the state department regarding ineligibility. If you look at 221(a)(2)(I) and the following sections, I think you'll find your answer. I would (and do) highly recommend always being honest with government authorities during the immigration process, and maybe the embassy can provide clarification in this matter.

I agreed...being honest is always the best policy. Then you don't have to remember your lies.

Good luck and hope you will reunite with your husband soon

You will be in my thoughts. (F)

I agreed...being honest is always the best policy. Then you don't to remember your lies.

Good luck and hope you will reunite with your husband soon

You will be in my thoughts. (F)

Edited by Brian&Mel

03/21/06- Met online

10/13/06- Met in person (Los Angeles USA) (three weeks)

12/20/06- Met in person (Kuala Lumpur Malaysia) (three weeks)

02/13/07- Met in person (Nagoya Japan) (two days)

06/21/07- Met in person (Portland Oregon (via PDX), USA) (three weeks)

11/30/07- Met in person (Portland Oregon (via LAX), USA) (six weeks)

12/12/07- Got married (In a Light House!!!)

01/18/08- I-130 sent

01/21/08- I-130 received at Chicago Lock Box

02/15/08- Check cashed

02/26/08- NOA1 received (Notice date: 2/12/2008)

02/19/08- Touched

04/23/08- Met in person (Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia) (one week)

04/30/08- Here I am in USA!!!!

05/19/08- I-130 approved!

05/27/08- NVC received our application and case number assigned

06/02/08- DS-3032 sent & AOS Bill Generated

06/05/08- Paid AOS Bill online

06/16/08- DS-3032 email accepted by NVC

08/28/08- Case completed!

10/21/08- Interview date (Rescheduled by US Embassy- Original date 10/28)-PASSED!!!

10/22/08- Visa in hand!

10/31/08- POE- Seattle, WA

11/12/08- Received SSN in mail!

11/20/08- Got my WA driving license!

I-751

08/03/10- I-751 sent

08/09/10- NOA

08/24/10- Biometrics

10/28/10- Case approved

.png

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Iran
Timeline

I misunderstood, I thought your son was in USA already.

Just be honest in everything and I think it should be ok as long as he does as instructed by the Court.

Edited by Nutty

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
We had our interviews at the Consulate 4 weeks ago. We're just waiting on our medicals to be complete, which required extra paperwork from our local hospital (public health system = sloooooow). They have that paperwork now, so we're expecting it to get to the Consulate next week at the latest, and for our passports to be back with The Almighty Stamp soon after. I've been almost ready to breathe a huge sigh of relief and concentrate on selling the house and packing our bags for a wonderful reunion with the husband I haven't seen in almost 16 months ...

Until tonight when I got one of *those* phone calls from my 16 year old son saying "Mum, I'm alright, BUT ...". It would seem he was driving stupidly on a gravel road and was in a head on collision. He came out of it with only a gashed head so he was very lucky considering he wasn't wearing a seatbelt. I arrived on the scene in enough time to jump in the ambulance with him and left my father to talk to the police, who said that they'd catch up with us in a couple of days and that my son would be referred to Youth Aid.

He doesn't have a drivers license and admitted to driving recklessly, so there will probably be charges but we have no idea what. It's up to Youth Aid. Through that system, he probably won't wind up with a criminal conviction so long as he complies with everything the court asks him to do (bail, reparation, community service etc) and because it's juvenile, it's sealed regardless.

I know I'm probably getting ahead of myself since we don't know what's going to happen yet, but I'm panicking about the embassy. What ramifications are there and what should I do? Should I fess up, or keep my mouth shut and hope for the best?

My apologies for rambling. I'm a little bit stressed right now ... particularly when in true teenage style, he screws up and he's grumping at me. :wacko:

If by "fess up" you mean contact the Consulate and volunteer information they haven't asked for, absolutely not. Of course you would answer any questions honestly but I don't know why there would be any further questions about your son's "Police Report", since you will have already submitted one.

The issue I see is that the NZ authorities might object to you leaving the country until the case is resolved. As such, I wouldn't volunteer any information about your plans to immigrate. You certainly can deal with the restitution or other issues from afar. Don't give the NZ authorities any reason to flag or hold your son's passport.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

If by "fess up" you mean contact the Consulate and volunteer information they haven't asked for, absolutely not. Of course you would answer any questions honestly but I don't know why there would be any further questions about your son's "Police Report", since you will have already submitted one.

The issue I see is that the NZ authorities might object to you leaving the country until the case is resolved. As such, I wouldn't volunteer any information about your plans to immigrate. You certainly can deal with the restitution or other issues from afar. Don't give the NZ authorities any reason to flag or hold your son's passport.

That's right. Offer no information but be prepared to talk about it.

Thanks for the advice, everyone.

I don't intend to be dishonest about it, and I'm all for my son facing up to his actions.

As of today, there are still no charges. He wasn't able to be questioned at the time of the accident as he's a minor and had no parent present (I arrived at the scene with just enough time to jump in the ambulance). There's some doubt as to whether he was actually driving as his injuries aren't consistent with what he should have if he were in the drivers seat, and the three others that were also in the car bolted with him saying he'd 'take all the blame'. I'm hoping he'll see sense before long.

For now though, it's still a waiting game and I'm torn between utter relief that he's OK and an overwhelming desire to throttle him.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.