8 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Nicaragua
Timeline

Does approval of I-129F petition guarantee approval of K-3 visa even if a criminal record exists and there’s a history of drug use and deportation?

My husband’s lawyer has told us that K-3 visas do not require waivers filed and granted and I would like to make sure I understood correctly.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

As far as I know an approved petition does not guarantee a visa approval. I'd get a second opinion. Perhaps others can comment too, or you can try posting on the Waivers forum.

09-02-2005 Applications for AOS, EAD, and AP received by MSC

10-21-2005 AOS fingerprint notice for 12-08-2005

11-07-2005 AP approved

12-05-2005 Infopass appt at San Jose office for interim EAD -- Refused, because it is already approved by MSC on 11-07-2005

12-07-2005 Attempt at interim EAD at San Francisco office -- no go. Back to San Jose, where CSO (chief station officer) tells they will contact MSC via email to request permission to issue interim EAD

12-08-2005 Biometrics for AOS and EAD. Having no EAD appt letter was no problem (used EAD NOA)

12-15-2005 EAD arrived in the mail

12-24-2005 Received interview letter; interview scheduled 03-01-2006

01-28-2006 Received replacement SSN card in married name (5 wks since application)

03-01-2006 AOS interview -- approved; received stamp in the passport

03-13-2006 Green card arrived in the mail

---

Filing for removal of conditions

An approved petition does not guarantee the issuance of a visa. A consular officer has to take into consideration many things, including, ineligibilities (including info on police certificate), public charge issue, medical, whether the relationship is bonafide etc.

From USCIS

29. Applicants are subject to all ineligibilities. Unlike the applicants for V visas, the LIFE Act does not exempt K3/K4s from INA section 212(a)(9)( B ). K3/K4 applicants are subject to the 3-year bar if they accrued more than 180 days of unlawful presence in the United States, and to the 10-year bar if they accrued one year or more of unlawful presence. However, they are eligible to apply for a waiver.

Have a read fully here of the K3 Visa Implementationhttp://travel.state.gov/visa/laws/telegrams/telegrams_1431.html

Edited by aussiewench

You can find me on FBI

An overview of Security Name Checks And Administrative Review at Service Center, NVC & Consulate levels.

Detailed Review USCIS Alien Security Checks

fb2fc244.gif72c97806.gif4d488a91.gif

11324375801ij.gif

View Timeline HERE

I am but a wench not a lawyer. My advice and opinion is just that. I read, I research, I learn.

Filed: Timeline

se_vnt3,

The I-129f petition is to determine if a person qualifies to apply for a marriage-based visa, nothing more. It does not address whether or not a person qualifies for the visa.

Yodrak

Does approval of I-129F petition guarantee approval of K-3 visa even if a criminal record exists and there’s a history of drug use and deportation?

Filed: Country: Spain
Timeline
se_vnt3,

The I-129f petition is to determine if a person qualifies to apply for a marriage-based visa, nothing more. It does not address whether or not a person qualifies for the visa.

Yodrak

but at the State Dept level, it WILL matter. If you have issues that make you inadmissible, you will denied a visa. Maybe the denial can be overcome with a waiver, but you will not know until you have the interview.

I dont know what your lawyer has been smoking.

I finally got rid of the never ending money drain. I called the plumber, and got the problem fixed. I wish her the best.

There's a reason for each one of the steps, and things can be denied at any one of the steps. If an approved petition guaranteed a visa, then they might as well get rid of the visa application process and allow people to enter the US by showing an approved petition.

The petition only establishes the petitioner's eligibility to petition the beneficiary. This mostly includes the petitioner's citizenship and relationship to the beneficiary.

The visa application establishes that the beneficiary is eligible for the visa. This includes, but isn't limited to, the issues in INA 212 regarding things like drug use, criminal history, etc. Also, at the visa interview, they may re-visit some issues about the petition approval, such as the bona fide nature of the relationship between the petitioner and beneficiary. If problems are discovered regarding the petition approval, it will be sent back to the USCIS for reconsideration. From reading these boards for awhile, my rough feeling is that the vast majority of denials happen at the consulate, not at the petition approval phase.

Even after a visa is approved, that is NOT a guarantee of eligibility to enter the US. If the customs officer discovers evidence that the beneficiary is not eligible for the visa, or has become inadmissible, then they will refuse entry at the POE. This isn't very common, but it happens. Being caught attempting to smuggle drugs into the US might be one reason. Another might be a K-1 beneficiary where there was evidence they got married sometime before entry to the US.

04 Apr, 2004: Got married

05 Apr, 2004: I-130 Sent to CSC

13 Apr, 2004: I-130 NOA 1

19 Apr, 2004: I-129F Sent to MSC

29 Apr, 2004: I-129F NOA 1

13 Aug, 2004: I-130 Approved by CSC

28 Dec, 2004: I-130 Case Complete at NVC

18 Jan, 2005: Got the visa approved in Caracas

22 Jan, 2005: Flew home together! CCS->MIA->SFO

25 May, 2005: I-129F finally approved! We won't pursue it.

8 June, 2006: Our baby girl is born!

24 Oct, 2006: Window for filing I-751 opens

25 Oct, 2006: I-751 mailed to CSC

18 Nov, 2006: I-751 NOA1 received from CSC

30 Nov, 2006: I-751 Biometrics taken

05 Apr, 2007: I-751 approved, card production ordered

23 Jan, 2008: N-400 sent to CSC via certified mail

19 Feb, 2008: N-400 Biometrics taken

27 Mar, 2008: Naturalization interview notice received (NOA2 for N-400)

30 May, 2008: Naturalization interview, passed the test!

17 June, 2008: Naturalization oath notice mailed

15 July, 2008: Naturalization oath ceremony!

16 July, 2008: Registered to vote and applied for US passport

26 July, 2008: US Passport arrived.

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
I dont know what your lawyer has been smoking.

Something waiverable?

:lol:

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.