alienlovechild

No jargon and already bored with the visa process

31 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

I may be repeating a common observation but I haven't seen it before as a new guy who applied for a K-1 visa. It arrived on Feb. 14 in Vermont.

I don't know all the abbreviations and I feel like I'm on the outside looking in. I only have the receipt showing the government got the packet and nothing else seems to be happening. I seen different estimates so that this may not be unusual.

Why are most people here posting their timelines on where they are in the visa process? To be honest it makes me a bit jealous and amazed at how much you folks know or have picked up along the way. Doesn't make it seem longer? It reminds me of staring at a clock in school or work and complaining at how slow the time appears to be moving.

My mindset right now is I've been single my whole life and my financee on the other side of the planet. We keep in contact but I don't entirely feel like I'm engaged. I'm just looking forward to having her here so I'm keeping my mind on other things besides obsessing over government forms and procedures.

David & Lalai

th_ourweddingscrapbook-1.jpg

aneska1-3-1-1.gif

Greencard Received Date: July 3, 2009

Lifting of Conditions : March 18, 2011

I-751 Application Sent: April 23, 2011

Biometrics: June 9, 2011

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

I think posting timelines gives other an idea on how long the process may take.

As far as picking up along the way and such.... I can only speak for myself but, this whole thing leaves me feeling a bit helpless and powerless.... knowledge is power! The more research I do, the more equipped I feel to deal with anything that may come up along the way.

Good luck with your petition, Im truly sorry you dont feel engaged right now.

Lisa

"you fondle my trigger then you blame my gun"

Timeline: 13 month long journey from filing to visa in hand

If you were lucky and got an approval and reunion with your loved one rather quickly; Please refrain from telling people who waited 6+ months just to get out of a service center to "chill out" or to "stop whining" It's insensitive,and unecessary. Once you walk a mile in their shoes you will understand and be heard.

Thanks!

I like keeping track because....it's like a countdown to be with the one I love.

I want to know where my petition is...what's happening with it....when I'll approximately be reunited with Nick and we will finally be able to start our lives together. No more going home because home will be where he is.

I guess I learned all the abbreviations and the ins and outs of the process because if I just sat back and didn't know what was going on or what anything meant, I'd feel like I was in a black hole...never knowing when I'll be brought into the light.

I'm sorry you are having a hard time with this...it must be so hard to be that far away from the one you love....but please keep hope...you will be together soon...just think of how wonderful that will be.

Best of luck to you always :)

~Laura

Let's Keep the Song Going!!!

CANADA.GIFUS1.GIF

~Laura and Nicholas~

IMG_1315.jpg

Met online November 2005 playing City of Heroes

First met in Canada, Sept 22, 2006 <3

September 2006 to March 2008, 11 visits, 5 in Canada, 6 in NJ

Officially Engaged December 24th, 2007!!!

Moved to the U.S. to be with my baby on July 19th, 2008 on a K1 visa!!!!

***10 year green card in hand as of 2/2/2012, loving and living life***

Hmmm maybe we should move back to Canada! lol smile.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Isle of Man
Timeline

Posting time lines is just something that almost everyone does here. Fiddle with "my assistant" and "my controls" and you can learn to make a "cool" forums signature....You are very fortunate to be filing at VSC. Your fiancee could have her visa in hand as early as May (not super likely, but possible). Whereas if you filed at CSC, chances are you would be waiting at least an extra month and a half. My fiancee is going for her interview next week and we have waited 7 months from start to finish (this is normal for CSC). You are probably looking at a start to finish range of 5 months or less. Best of luck.

India, gun buyback and steamroll.

qVVjt.jpg?3qVHRo.jpg?1

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Hungary
Timeline

I like to look at the timelines as devices that offer peace and some sort of hope to this entire process. You are right it can be like looking at the clock but you have remember that when you did that it was a time when you were not focused on getting something done or making full use of your time. That is why its best to get busy, and get involved in things in your life that will help you now enjoy life and will help you down the road in marriage with your loved one. This process is not an easy one and I don't think it has been easy for anyone here. You just have to keep the faith and do your best. Life is just like that sometimes.

Our Relationship

(09-27-06)Met in Hungary

(11-25-06)Fell in Love

(11-24-07)Met again in Hungary

(02-19-08)Met again in Hungary

K1 Visa Petition

(09-27-07)Preparing to send K1 Petition

(12-03-07)K1 Petition Sent US Postal Service

(12-11-07)Received NOA 1

(12-28-07)Touched

(03-11-08)Recieved NOA 2

(03-21-08)Recieved at NVC

(03-27-08)Sent from NVC

(04-02-08)Received Packet 3

(04-27-08)Medical Completed

(05-15-08)Received Packet 4

(05-29-08)Interview Date

(05-29-08)Visa given 40 mins after approval

(06-02-08)Arrival at the JFK and EAD given

I may be repeating a common observation but I haven't seen it before as a new guy who applied for a K-1 visa. It arrived on Feb. 14 in Vermont.

I don't know all the abbreviations and I feel like I'm on the outside looking in. I only have the receipt showing the government got the packet and nothing else seems to be happening. I seen different estimates so that this may not be unusual.

Why are most people here posting their timelines on where they are in the visa process? To be honest it makes me a bit jealous and amazed at how much you folks know or have picked up along the way. Doesn't make it seem longer? It reminds me of staring at a clock in school or work and complaining at how slow the time appears to be moving.

My mindset right now is I've been single my whole life and my financee on the other side of the planet. We keep in contact but I don't entirely feel like I'm engaged. I'm just looking forward to having her here so I'm keeping my mind on other things besides obsessing over government forms and procedures.

Look around the site, read other threads...get to know the jargon. That will probably help when reading other's posts. I think there is something on here, about abbreviations, but I can't remember where. Have you looked at the FAQ's and Guides? I notice you haven't filled out your timeline, that will maybe help. Asking regional questions or reading threads in the country of your fiance will probably make you feel more comfortable knowing what others petitioning from there are going through.

Have you signed up, with your reciept number at the governement website to see what may be happening to your petition?

I'm sure you've read threads here where people are following very closely their immigration timelines, and that can sometimes be obsessive, and then people can become anxious. The choice is yours about whether you want to get that...anxious!

I think that the more you post, offer encouragment and ask questions here, the more comfortable you're going to become.

Keeping busy, not obsessively checking, but being informed is probably your best bet. Things will look different when it's closer to your interview time. Are you talking with your fiance about the process? Are you chatting, video chatting or calling on the phone in the interim? Are you sharing your journey with family and friends here in the US? Are you doing any dreaming of what you two are going to be doing when she's here? What your wedding might look like? All of these things can help be more involved!

There IS light at the end of the tunnel!

Best of luck!

carlahmsb4.gif

When people fill in there timelines then the system makes an estimate of when you might be approved given the time and place of filing. I was approved within that estimate, as were many others. I found it helped to have some idea of when to expect some action on my case.

17th March 2010 - Started the removal of conditions process

22nd March 2010 - Application received by CSC

30th April 2010 - Biometrics appointment

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Visa Journey compiles statistics and gives timelines based on the input they get from members. Their is a wealth of knowledge on this site and many people who will answer your questions. There is alot of camaraderie as we learn of others experiences going through the visa process. Congratulations on your engagement.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: New Zealand
Timeline

Firstly.. knowledge is power. I feel like I need to know how to do something and how to do it right. Especially when it's something as important as this. There is no better place to learn than from those who have 'been there'. I'd hate to think my ignorance of the process delayed us being together any longer than we already are.

Secondly.. coming here makes us feel that much closer. Because I can't wake up with him or go to sleep with him or share my life with him right now this is my connection to the process that will make that happen. When he's not around..vj still makes me feel closer to him because this is something we're going through together.

It doesn't stress me out at all. It helps to know you're not alone. I absolutely love seeing these fine people watch their dreams come true because I know just what that is going to feel like and for every person that gets approved and moves on to the next step... well, the closer we are too! :)

timeline.jpg

Filed: Timeline

Hey alienlovechild,

I know exactly how you feel. When I first came to this site (I don't even remember how I found it), I was reading all the posts, not really because I wanted to learn, but because I just wanted to feel somewhat comforted to know that I wasn't the only person on the planet going through this, and that many people go through this process, and most survive it and are rewarded with the K-1.

In terms of you sending your I-129f and them receiving it in Feb. 14, you need to practice patience. It could be a lot longer, it could be a little longer. It really depends. I have seen some people get their I-129f petitions approved in a month at VSC (Vermont Service Center). Just for a reference, I sent mine to CSC (California service center, which is notorious for taking a long time, as they have a LOT more petitions going through their office) and we were approved on March 10th (I sent my I-129f petition on November 1st, CSC received it November 7th or 8th).

If you feel like you are on the outside looking in, and are not familiar with the abbreviations, etc., then take the time to read all the guides, there's a link for all the abbreviations as well on this site. You just need to look around and get familiar.

Most people post their timelines to give everyone an idea and hope of where they are in their process. Sure, when I look at someone's timeline who has already finished with the process and they received their K-1 already, I am jealous, but to be honest I'm also extremely happy for them. I am happy because I know what it takes to get the K-1, I know this grueling process we all must go through, and I know that their is a light at the end of the tunnel when I see people getting K-1s. It also helps when people post their timelines because you can see people who have applied for a K-1 from the country you and your fiance are applying for it, and you can get an idea of how long your process will take.

Don't worry, just be patient, keep your head up, think positive, keep in contact with your fiancee, and I know this process seems long, but it will go by sooner than you know, and the next thing you know you'll be driving to the airport to pick up your fiancee!!

Good luck!

If you don´t feel like you are engaged then you probly aren´t :P

That's right!

This time is probably given to us to make some comunications skills, to try to see how can we work on the problems that might appear without taking the bed as the place where it all clears out.

Waiting for the fiance(e) to get there to start "feeling engaged" is weird.

.png

UURI.jpg

Filed: Timeline
If you don´t feel like you are engaged then you probly aren´t :P

That's right!

This time is probably given to us to make some comunications skills, to try to see how can we work on the problems that might appear without taking the bed as the place where it all clears out.

Waiting for the fiance(e) to get there to start "feeling engaged" is weird.

I must have skipped over this. I have to agree with them. There has never been a time when I didn't feel engaged, and when I think about my life with my SO in America and what it will be like (knock on wood) it makes me extremely happy, gives me hope, etc.

Even though you guys are separated by thousands of miles, that shouldn't dictate whether or not you feel engaged to the person. However, maybe you just meant that because you guys aren't able to see each other/live with each other right now, like your mother and father, or your friends and families and their husbands and wives do, it just doesn't feel right, and that I can agree with. It's not right that we have to be separated from our fiances for such a long time but you'll get through it!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: South Africa
Timeline

I always say that couples who have to go through this process will know a love that few others will ever know. Not only do I feel like I am engaged, I feel that by communicating over the phone, emails, and text messages, my fiancee and I are closer then we have ever been or ever would ahve been. We may not be physically togeher, but she is by my side and i by her's every moment of everyday. I won't say that i am enjoying my last days of bachlorhood, but I can tell you that there is nothing in this world I am looking forward to mroe then picking up my girl at the airport and living happily ever after.....

K-1 Visa

Event Date

Service Center : California Service Center

Consulate : South Africa

I-129F Sent : 2007-09-18

I-129F NOA1 : 2007-09-19

I-129F RFE(s) :

RFE Reply(s) :

I-129F NOA2 : 2008-02-11

NVC Received :

NVC Left : 2008-02-25

Consulate Received :

Packet 3 Received : 2008-03-25

Packet 3 Sent : 2008-04-16

Packet 4 Received : 2008-04-25

Interview Date : 2008-05-29

Arrived in U.S.A (POE Detroit, MI): 6/11/08

Married: 8/8/08

AOS

Package sent to Chicago Lockbox: 9/11/08

Package Delievered by USPS: 9/13/08

Check Cashed according to Online Banking: 9/19/2008

Recieved NOA's for I-485, I-131, and I-765: 9/22/08

Biometrics Appt: 10/14/08

I-765 and I-485 Touched: 10/14/08

Changed Address Online: 12/5/08

Changed Address Over Phone: 12/5/08

Sent in AR-11 and I-865: 12/9/08

CRIS Email on I-131 Approval Notice Sent: 12/10/08

CRIS Email on I-765 Card Production Ordered: 12/10/08

I-485 Touched: 12/10/08

AP Recieved: 12/15/08

EAD Recieved: 12/19/08

Interview Letter Recieved: 2/12/09

Interview Date: 4/6/09

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.